Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thracians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thracians
    Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 13:18
-Recently I have been very interested in learning more about the Thracians. I was wondering if anybody could point me to any good reference books. Thanks!
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 17:17
The Odrysian Kingdom of Thrace: Orpheus Unmasked
Book by Z. H. Archibald; Oxford University, 1998

very good book , with reliable sources and without arbitraries conclusions
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 18:56
Thanks, akritas, really interesting book!
Here are some more about thacian language
And Thracian culture

The only thing is that big part of articles in this resource is in Bulgarian but you may find much stuff in English too

And, of course, visit Bulgarian and Greek Rodopi to feel the reall Thracian magic Smile 

Edited by Anton - 05-Aug-2006 at 19:00
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 19:06
Thank you Anton.The book is available in questia.com(by pay of course)!!!

If the BMC2113 is knower of the Greek language I suggest also the book
History of the Thrace,1932. A book that gather all the  texts and quotes that mentioned from the ancient writers as about the Thrace.Very informative  book.Unfortunely only in the Greek language!!!
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 19:23
-Unfortunately, I only speak English. Thank you all for the sources......I will check them out when I find the time.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 19:45
What I also usually do is -- I open scholar.google.com and type keyword. And get scientific papers on the topic. Simple example

The only problem is that I cannot have acces to most of resources at home, like JSTOR for example. So, I do it from the the university. But I something is really interesting it could be found in the library. Of course, this could be used not only for Thracians but any other scientific topic.

Edited by Anton - 05-Aug-2006 at 19:46
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 22:37
Recently an ancient Thracian town was discovered near the town where I live.

You may wish to have a look on their official web-site:

http://www.perperikon.bg/
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 10:31
Perperikon? Oh, I love it! Although it's not so recently discovered. I was there around two years ago, but I've gotta go again! Wink
Btw, I found today one pretty nice gallery with pictures from the exhibition of "The Thracian treasures" in the National History Museum this year. I've been there myself, but still the pictures are nice!
And two more links:
Thracian Expedition for Tumular Investigations
Thracology Page by Sonya Ilieva

Post Reply Post Reply