Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Combat knives?(hand to hand)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combat knives?(hand to hand)
    Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 00:44
Hello All,
Just wondering what armies in the world today; still offer combat knives or other hand to hand weapons to their troops. Taking into concept the rare occurrence of hand to hand fighting.
                                               Thanks,
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 03:02
In the Greek Army (Enginnering), we used to train with hand to hand fights with our bayonettes, sappers was also trained with their ''ptyoskapano'' (little pickaxes).

Edited by Giannis - 04-Aug-2006 at 05:07
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 04:54
The Nepalese army and the Gurkas are the famous example being issued Kukris.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 07:49
Only most commando's have commando knifes I think
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 12:42
Most solidiers in the U.S. use to have a M9 Bayonet or a newer version of it which is a pretty nice knife. If you were aviation you would carry a survival knife as well in your ALSE gear.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 18:35
There was recently, another thread on this under topic of bayonets, Hand to hand combat is a guaranteed occurrence no matter what war when.Unhappy
Just in the last year, British troops executed a bayonet charge in Iraq. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 07:06
What about the Japanese army? Do they issue any combat blades?
                                    Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 22:42
Just going of the topic; Do you think the day of the bayonet maybe coming to an end?
 I think hand to hand fighting is a rare thing now .
I know that couple of years ago a scottish regiment performed a successful bayonet charge in the War in Iraq.

But i've also read that some armies have stopped training their troops in bayonet fighting, and instead they train them in combat knives and fighting style's based on their entrenching tools.

What do you think?
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 05:29
One of the best hand to hand fighting knives was designed by two British officers of either the Hing Hong or Shanghai police forces .  It was called the Sykes-Fairbairn knife.  I had a rare snakes-skin handled one, but swapped it for a Nagant automatic pistol with a Russian border guard in East Germany many years ago.
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 05:46
Getting back to bayonets.   Even if their use in combat is decreasing -mainly because the issue of fully automatic assault rifles to virtually ALL front line infantrymen tends to keep one's enemy well away from one, they still have a valid role to play. In Northern Ireland before the issue of the Army's current SA 80, we carried Browning Hi-Power 9 mm. automatic pistols, Sterling sub-machine guns and the SLR 7.62 rifle.  Even at a range of several hundreds of metres, the SLR's bullets would pass through a breeze block wall and several people on the other side, the Browning had punch but lacked accuracy, and the Sterling was fine for the close quarter work needed to empty a room of a few enemy soldiers, but the bayonet, even, when sheathed, was a powerful psychological weapon when waved under people's noses- plus a good poke in the throat with  a sheathed one would invariably spoil the day of even a Londonderry housewife and IRA supporter !  I remember one craggy old infantry sergeant telling me that when he was stationed in Northern Ireland in the early 1950's guarding power stations and bridges from the IRA, he was issued with the SMLE Lee-Enfield .303 rifle. This was a bloody good gun, but at that time it's bayonet was a little 5 inch spike of a thing that the Irish women alwasy used to take the piss out of, alluding to it being no more use than a limp dick !!  He was never so pleased as to get 7 inches of good sharp solid steel on the end of his gun again !  And wouldn't we all !!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 23:13
I do think however that in the future, with the development of body armour and more efficient firearms. I feel the bayonet will just become a traditional weapon, for more traditional armies like the British.
 Post Reply Post Reply