Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The world stupidest laws

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The world stupidest laws
    Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 08:41
Some pretty stupid laws have been invented over the years, and some have never been withdrawn...

There is a little book with this name, and I got a few examples which were in a Dutch magazine named Kijk (Look). Sorry for the crappy translation here and there...

So, can anyone tell me: Are these true?

Utah (US): On all highways, birds have precedence.

Denmark: It is illegal to start a car when someone is underneath it.

Arizona (US): Donkeys are not allowed to sleep in bathtubs.

Switzerland: Laundry cannot be hung outside on Sunday.

Schotland (UK): You are not allowed to have a cow with you when you are drunk.

Singapore: Oral sex is forbidden, unless when it is part of the foreplay.

Chico, California (US): Making a nuclear bomb explode within the city limits can be fined with 500 dollar.

Iceland: Everyone can practice medicine, as long as they have a clear sign with quack on their doors.

Chicago, Illinois (US): It is not allowed to eat in a building on fire.

Italy: A man can be arrested for wearing a skirt.

Kansas (US): It is not allowed to catch fish with ones bare hands.

France: A pig may not be called Napoleon by its owner.

Louisiana (US): Citizens are allowed to grow as tall as they like.

Guadalajara (Mexico): Women working for the city council are not allowed to wear miniskirts or other provocative clothing.

Kentucky (US): Everyone must bathe at least once a year.

The Netherlands: Prostitutes must pay business tax like all other businessman.

West-Virginia (US): Roadkill may be taken home to be eaten.

Japan: There is no minimum age for sexual intercourse.

Thailand: It is illegal to stand on Thai money.

Massachusetts (US): It is illegal to use bullets as currency.

England: Boys under the age of 10 may not be exposed to naked mannequin dummies.

Wilbur, Washington (US): It is not allowed to ride through the town on an ugly horse.

Saudi-Arabia: Male docters are not allowed to examine women, women are not allowed to be doctors.

Iowa (US): A man with a mustache may not kiss a woman in public.

Norfolk, Virginia (US): A chicken is not allowed to lay eggs before eight a.m. or after four p.m.

Australia: Children may not buy sigarettes, but they are allowed to smoke them.

Texas (US): It is not allowed to drink more than three draughts of beer while standing up.

Nigeria: Civilians are not allowed to ride an army-green vehicle.

South-Dakota (US): When there are more than five indians on your property, you are allowed to shoot at them.

North-Carolina (US): It is not allowed to use elephants for plouging.

Winnipeg (Canada): It is not allowed to walk through your house naked with the curtains open.

New Mexico (US): A woman is not allowed to appear in public unshaven.

Vermont (US): It is illegal to deny the existence of God.

I can tell you that the one about prostitutes in NL is true....
But what about those frocks in Italy? Must be a bit of a problem in the Vatican? LOL

Edited by Aelfgifu - 01-Aug-2006 at 08:43

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:07
I just pointed out in another thread that the sale of futures in onions (i.e. the sale/purchase of onions to be delivered in the future) is illegal in the US. In fact it's a federal offence.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:07
What is wrong with making prostitutes pay tax? The practice is legal in Australia, here they are just legitimate business persons who perform a service and are liable to pay tax. They use roads, healthcare and benefit from defence spending like the rest of society. In return for a stable existence in a stable nation, they should be required to contribute financially to its upkeep.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:15
Originally posted by Constantine XI

What is wrong with making prostitutes pay tax? The practice is legal in Australia, here they are just legitimate business persons who perform a service and are liable to pay tax. They use roads, healthcare and benefit from defence spending like the rest of society. In return for a stable existence in a stable nation, they should be required to contribute financially to its upkeep.

Yes, same thing here, and I totally agree: the occupation is legal, the employees pay tax and in return thy get access to healthcare etc. Best solution really.

I didn't make the book though, it is an English or American book, and apparently they found it strange. So I was wondering, perhaps the laws I find totally weird are normal to others? Like the one forbidding woman to appear in public unshaven?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:22

They gave good taxes, Infact one of that bussiness women becomed biggest tax payer in Turkey.

Edited by Mortaza - 01-Aug-2006 at 09:23
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:24
I also wonder how many of these laws actually find themselves being applied. I think if many of them did they would find themselves quickly amended by legislators.

For example, some years back a man was charged with raping his wife in Melbourne. The judge ruled that, based on a 17th century English piece of legislation (over a century before first settlement in Australia), the man was not liable for punishment as he had a right to intercourse based on that old law. The case was immediately appealing, the public outcry saw the law amended in the unusually quick period of just 12 days.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:34
I always like the fact that while pretending to practise magic is illegal in England, actually practising it isn't.

Edited by gcle2003 - 01-Aug-2006 at 09:34
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:41
Perhaps this site would be of some interest too?

Btw, if you read the Bulgarian laws, you'll find a lot of them to be stupid (or absurd) too...

Edited by NikeBG - 01-Aug-2006 at 09:43
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 09:54
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Saudi-Arabia: Male docters are not allowed to examine women, women are not allowed to be doctors.

So what happens to female patients?

The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 10:11
Originally posted by Feanor

So what happens to female patients?

Maybe only the Almighty Alllah take care of their health...  Clap
LOL

Actually i think, that in Saudi Arabia are working many christian doctors(+wimen) from Europe.

Edited by The Chargemaster - 01-Aug-2006 at 10:19
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 12:29
The one about prostitutes in NL is the same in the UK.

The one about Thailand is definately false. It's bad manners to tread on any image of the king, but not illegal.

Australia cigarrette law is pretty much the same in the UK for alcohol and cigarettes.

Italy skirt law, there must be severe overcrowding in the prisons after any Italy v Scotland fixture.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 12:38
Florida - If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

Parachuting isnt something that old kind makes me wonder about lawmakers. Also I belive alot of states still have the missionary position law. Any other position is illegal
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 15:07
Originally posted by Paul

Italy skirt law, there must be severe overcrowding in the prisons after any Italy v Scotland fixture.

They aren't "skirts" they are "manskirts".LOL
Anyways, I heard about a law in Thailand that it is illegal(or looked down upon) to leave gum on a sidewalk.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 15:34
That's Singapore where it's illegal even to possess the stuff or try and smuggle it in.

Very enlightened people in some respects the Singaporese

Edited by Paul - 01-Aug-2006 at 15:34
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 15:45
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Chico, California (US): Making a nuclear bomb explode within the city limits can be fined with 500 dollar.

Now thats just stupid. Infact, it's the dumbest on the page. Everyone knows that if you detonate a nuke your balls should be chopped off...

Edited by Anujkhamar - 01-Aug-2006 at 15:46
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 15:58
Originally posted by Mortaza

Theygave good taxes,Infactone ofthat bussinesswomenbecomedbiggesttax payer in Turkey.

If I remember correctly, she was not a prostitute. She was the owner of a brothel.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 21:47
The West Virginia law about roadkill I believe applies to deer struck by a car or truck, if you hit one, you are allowed to take it and have it butchered.  I think Penna. has a similar law.Tongue 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 21:51
In New York there is a law stating when approaching a corner in a motor vehicle, the driver must stop and fire a shotgun in the air.Wink 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 21:54

South-Dakota (US): When there are more than five indians on your property, you are allowed to shoot at them.

Oh my God that is like so awsome.

Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 00:07
While all of them were quite odd on one level or another, I found the no minimum age for sex law in Japan absolutely appalling! I'm sorry, but it is never ok to have sex with a child.....
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>