Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Infantry of Renaissance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Who were the best infantry soldiers in the Renaissance?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [11.88%]
8 [7.92%]
24 [23.76%]
41 [40.59%]
3 [2.97%]
9 [8.91%]
1 [0.99%]
3 [2.97%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Infantry of Renaissance
    Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 17:37
And discipline can as well be taught into oneself, and it is better to do so or one gets bored of it as Jannisaries might have.
Emir View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Emir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 18:41
certainly janissaries were the most powerful and every country was afraid of them especially german and french
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 02:59
Oh yes if there would have been a German nation... I would like to see a German in the 16th century.

This is just like Pikeshot said above: Turks lead because the Turkish members outnumber everyone else in the forum.
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 05:47
Originally posted by ataman

Originally posted by Urungu Han

But they attacked us from our back when the city was conquering.

Only part (this smaller one) of Ottoman army was attacking Vienna. The bulk of Ottoman army was sent against armies of allies. The final charge of Polish hussars and allied cavalry wasn't a suprise for Turks. It occured in the afternoon - after many hours of the battle.
Yes you are right but this is not the matter of defeat,Matter was Murad Giray and more...I will post a topic about viyana.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 17:33
Originally posted by capcartoonist

Cossacks were probably the best light cavalry of their time.

You can understand it in two different ways

Cossacks - was word used for a light cavalry in Poland . But it didn't mean the Ukrainian people.  It was the common word to describe light cavalry units

Zaphoroghe (??) Infantry  (Zaporoże) - Ukrainian infantry composed  from real Cossacks living at the banks of Dniepr river in so called "wild steps" or "wild fields"

They were considered as on the best of the best of slavian infantry in region. They didnt have common uniforms or advanced weapon but the way the lived and the way they fight was really impressive.

kosinskii View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kosinskii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 13:27
Zaphorozian's were known for two things that I have been able to find so far, their use of the Tobor wagons and light cannons while acting as infantry against tartar cavalry. And their naval raids against Turkish shipping and towns.  I have not come across any mention of Zaphorozian cavalry existing let alone being of any use in battle, but there is enough mention of their heavy use of matchlocks (and light cannons like falconnets) in the 16th century, definitely not a weapon for a group that was primarily cavalry, but great for infantry use.

Un-related trivia, did you know that apparently Cossacks were being hired as bodyguards in the Mughal courts in the 16th-17th centuries?

Rob Lewis
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 06:34

The Tercios, but not only Spanish, they were created by Gonzalez de Cordoba under the king Ferdinand II of Aragon but there were also people from other countries like Italy or Germany.

I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 11:45
Well, a tercio isn't exactly a unit but more a group of infantrymen or a formation in my senses.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 16:11
The Tercios were the best. No doubt about it.

Pinguin
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 08:27
Again, I must repeat my previous statement, now including this:

Originally posted by Wikipedia Tercio

was a term used by the Spanish army to describe a mixed infantry formation of about 3,000 pikemen and musketeers, sometimes referred to by other nations as a Spanish Square
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 22:56
I do not know much about the tercios or what they looked like. Can someone show me some pictures of their uniforms and formations from excellent resources?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 00:08

Wikipedia is good enough to start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercio

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 00:18
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I do not know much about the tercios or what they looked like. Can someone show me some pictures of their uniforms and formations from excellent resources?

Check this site:
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Originally posted by Polish-UkrainianCanadian

Dit houdt enige helemaal niet steek! Ik ben niet helemaal zeker of de Duitsers of de Engelsen het beste zijn.

Care to translate?

I'm up for a challange. Not sure about the first sentence (doesn't make much sense to me) but:
enige = any
helemaal = completely
niet = not
steek = thrust.

The second sentence: "I'm not sure if the Germans or the English were best at it"

I don't actually speak dutch, but being South African I have a good background.

PS. Looking at the pole, neither the English billmen and longbowmen nor the Samurai's should be on there. The English for belonging in the middle-ages and the Samurai for being primarily cavalry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234