Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atomic Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Poll Question: Do you believe it was neccessary for Japan to be nuked at WW2?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [52.78%]
34 [47.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atomic Japan
    Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 10:29
Indeed! And I agree! But if we were all in that position, how would we react! I mean, come on, lets' think about this- The world has been in total war for around 5 years, Japan is the only Axis country that has not surrendered. I am not justifying it NOW, but I am saying that in sheer desperation THEN, attitudes would have been different.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 10:32
Japan was almost ready to retreat. And why USA through two. I believe only one was enough.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
rock strongo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rock strongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 13:41
Hi,

I don't think it was necessary to drop the bomb.  The US could continue to carpet bomb strategic resources like food and water and Japan probably would have caved in.

They had their chance though, they were given the old surrender now or you'll be sorry ultimatum and they decided to test the you'll be sorry part.

Japan got nuked and surrendered after the second bomb, since one wasn't enough to convince them, and the US reached its undeniable height as a military power.

The US was the only nuclear power on the planet then and I'm sure that helped the Russians to decide to ruin only half of Europe..
Alcohol and night swimming, its a winning combination.
bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 16:10
Originally posted by rock strongo

Hi,

I don't think it was necessary to drop the bomb.  The US could continue to carpet bomb strategic resources like food and water and Japan probably would have caved in.

The nuclear weapons weren't really all that much more destructive than the carpet bombing.  The firebombing of Tokyo killed more people than the atomic bombing of Nagasaki.  The nukes simply had a bigger shock effect. 
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 16:23
Originally posted by Desimir

I totally agree that japanese made many war crimes.But i think that nuclear attacks are also some kind of war crime.You said that every life is equal and nobody deserve to die.Then why US revenged the deaths of 3000 americans in Pearl Harbour by killing ten of thousands japanese with bombing og Hiroshima and Nagasagi.This is not fair.Every country in WW 2 made war crimes including US,USSR ,germany and japan.I dont know if GB and France did such a things and i really doubt.But to claim that you are civilized,democratic and humane during the war is absolutely unacceptable.

It can be argued that nobody deserves to die, but sometimes death is necessary.  War defies black and white moral reasoning.  Thats why the question for this topic wasn't: "is killing civillians morally acceptable?"  The answer would almost always be a resounding "no."  The question (to me at least) was asking whether or not a horrific act was necessary to end the war more quickly. 

I did not claim any of those things you seem to believe that I do.  I know that there were war crimes (and yes England committed a few of them I'm sure, France maybe, maybe not, they went out of the war very quickly).  But by the laws of the time, the bombing of defended cities wasn't a war crime.  It was not civilized or humane, but it wasn't a warcrime.
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 07:25
Few things I'd like to deal with:

The bombing of Pearl Harbour was done without a declaration of war. But in fact, the plan was for the Japaneese embasy in Washington to declare war by telegram 5 minutes before the attack starts. However, to keep the attack in at most secercy, they assainged an intelligence officer with telegraphing the declaration instead of trained telegraf staff, and the declaration came two hours after the attack. And another thing no one seems to remember is that that a US destroyer sunk a Jap sub one day prior to the attack, no war then either Besides, the men at Pearl Harbour were soldiers who knew they could die. Inhabitants of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not.

The claim that the bombs convinced the High command that the war could not be won is a bold face lie. Why? Because it apparentlly took the High command one month to figure out that A bombs were dangerous-they were droped begining of August, Japan surendered beging of September. Another evidence the bombs had no effect on the reasoning of the High command were the transcripts of their meetings with the emperor after they dropped. They weren't worried what so ever. They knew the Americans didn't have enough bombs to destroy all Japaneese cities and simply dismissed the A bombs as a decision making factor.

Another coincedence (not!) is that the drop date was a few days prior to the date the Red Army set for the attack on Manchuria. After the attack, no more A bombs, even though the Americans still had one or two.

The real factors that brought down Japan was the destruction of their merchant marine only few days prior to the surrender, which meant total breakdown of communications between main Japneese islands. And also the fact that after the Red Army railroaded Manchuria, Japan was cut off from the critical resources needed for the war.

But the thing that really bugs me is the ignorance surrounding Japaneese society at that time. I keep hearing about "old samurai tradition" when in fact, for 80 years before WWII Japan had been adopting the western way of life. Samurai traditions had been considered to be old-fashioned, even out-dated in Japaneese society by the late 1920-s, when the Japaneese army takes over control and adopts a fascist-like militairy goverment. Even in this, they only followed the example of the west, where fascism at the time was not uncommon and was in fact a legitimate political option! The calling of the militants for "restoration of the old ways" was no different then say "restoration of the Roman Empire" or "Restoring the Aryan race to it's former glory"; It was only a bit more effective, like the Japaneese people are to this very day (electronics ).

The bombs were never intended to save lives, or quicken the end of the war, but to establish the US as the ruler of the world for generations to come. Alas, it lasted only 'till 1953. and the Soviet A-bomb test.
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 10:38

Originally posted by Maljkovic

Few things I'd like to deal with:

The bombing of Pearl Harbour was done without a declaration of war. But in fact, the plan was for the Japaneese embasy in Washington to declare war by telegram 5 minutes before the attack starts. However, to keep the attack in at most secercy, they assainged an intelligence officer with telegraphing the declaration instead of trained telegraf staff, and the declaration came two hours after the attack. And another thing no one seems to remember is that that a US destroyer sunk a Jap sub one day prior to the attack, no war then either Besides, the men at Pearl Harbour were soldiers who knew they could die. Inhabitants of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not.

The claim that the bombs convinced the High command that the war could not be won is a bold face lie. Why? Because it apparentlly took the High command one month to figure out that A bombs were dangerous-they were droped begining of August, Japan surendered beging of September. Another evidence the bombs had no effect on the reasoning of the High command were the transcripts of their meetings with the emperor after they dropped. They weren't worried what so ever. They knew the Americans didn't have enough bombs to destroy all Japaneese cities and simply dismissed the A bombs as a decision making factor.

Another coincedence (not!) is that the drop date was a few days prior to the date the Red Army set for the attack on Manchuria. After the attack, no more A bombs, even though the Americans still had one or two.

The real factors that brought down Japan was the destruction of their merchant marine only few days prior to the surrender, which meant total breakdown of communications between main Japneese islands. And also the fact that after the Red Army railroaded Manchuria, Japan was cut off from the critical resources needed for the war.

But the thing that really bugs me is the ignorance surrounding Japaneese society at that time. I keep hearing about "old samurai tradition" when in fact, for 80 years before WWII Japan had been adopting the western way of life. Samurai traditions had been considered to be old-fashioned, even out-dated in Japaneese society by the late 1920-s, when the Japaneese army takes over control and adopts a fascist-like militairy goverment. Even in this, they only followed the example of the west, where fascism at the time was not uncommon and was in fact a legitimate political option! The calling of the militants for "restoration of the old ways" was no different then say "restoration of the Roman Empire" or "Restoring the Aryan race to it's former glory"; It was only a bit more effective, like the Japaneese people are to this very day (electronics ).

The bombs were never intended to save lives, or quicken the end of the war, but to establish the US as the ruler of the world for generations to come. Alas, it lasted only 'till 1953. and the Soviet A-bomb test.

Firstly, the idea that the use of the atomic bombs was revenge for Pearl Harbor is simply foolish.  The bombs were used as the logical extension of the strategic bombing campaign that had been ongoing up until that point. 

Secondly, the Japanese submarine that was sunk by a US destroyer was destroyed inside US waters, that trespass was in itself Casus Belli, or just cause for war. 

Thirdly, the Japanese transmitted their surrender (here is a link to a Magic translation:http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB162/64b.pdf) on August 10th, 1 day after the bombing of Nagasaki.  This surrender wasnot immediately accepted because it contained the following clause: "with the understanding that the said declaration (Potsdam) does not comprise any demand which prejudices the prerogatives of his Majesty as a sovereign ruler."  The US replied that his majesty would be subject to the "Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers."  The Japanese Cabinet deadlocked, and on the 14th there was an attempted military coup.   The coup failed and the Emperor went on the air to say that he accepted the allied terms.  The Japanese response was recieved on August 14th.  I think that there is a rather clear connection between the atomic bombs and the surrender. 

As for the old samurai traditions, I really don't know all that much about Japanese culture at the time.  I know that there was a lingering contempt for prisoners that caused the Bataan death march and suchlike, but II don't know that much beyond that. 

As I said before, I believe that the bombs saved lives, and as a result of that, I don't really care what the intentions of the US government were in dropping them. 

I would recommend that you take a look at this website.  It is a collection of primary source documents that is rather astounding.  http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB162/index.htm

rock strongo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rock strongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 13:22
How did the Japanese know how many bombs the Americans had?  Did they have a ninja in the capitol building? I've never heard that the Japanese simply dismissed the A-bombs.  Where have you read that?
Alcohol and night swimming, its a winning combination.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 14:00
Originally posted by Constantine XI

How about Japan just not launch a campaign of terror and crimes against humanity for a decade and a half resulting in the losses of tens of millions? They took a risk in starting a war, they lost and got what was coming to them. When you go to war you do so knowing that your status as an aggressor gives your enemy legitimacy to do whatever the consider necessary to defeat you, including destroying the lives and infrastructure of your people. I am just glad it was our side that had the bombs, instead of those barbaric maniacs who initiated the war in the Pacific.

A very Allied point of view...Fascist Japan was not angel, with Nanking Massacre etc. used many brutal ways..But clearly that doesn't justify the nuking action...

And for Pearl Harbour, it is more logical to begin a war in a beneficial surprise rather than losing the advantage of surprise element with an ordinary DoW..

Let's say Japan was still not determined to give up...Why a second nuke then?Wasn't the first one enough?
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by Constantine XI

How about Japan just not launch a campaign of terror and crimes against humanity for a decade and a half resulting in the losses of tens of millions? They took a risk in starting a war, they lost and got what was coming to them. When you go to war you do so knowing that your status as an aggressor gives your enemy legitimacy to do whatever the consider necessary to defeat you, including destroying the lives and infrastructure of your people. I am just glad it was our side that had the bombs, instead of those barbaric maniacs who initiated the war in the Pacific.

Originally posted by Kapikulu

A very Allied point of view...Fascist Japan was not angel, with Nanking Massacre etc. used many brutal ways..But clearly that doesn't justify the nuking action...

And for Pearl Harbour, it is more logical to begin a war in a beneficial surprise rather than losing the advantage of surprise element with an ordinary DoW..

Let's say Japan was still not determined to give up...Why a second nuke then?Wasn't the first one enough?
[/QUOTE]

No, the actions of Imperial Japan are what justify the bomb, although they do so indirectly.  The reason that the bomb was necessary (at least to me) was that it prevented large numbers of civilians (200,000 a month from what I have read) from dying under Japanese control.  If The Japanese had not been so barbaric in their occupations, there would not have been as much of a justification for dropping the bomb as fewer civilians would have been saved as a result (perhaps even fewer than were actually killed by the bombs). 

Surprise is a logical way to begin a war, shock and awe and all.  However, Japan screwed up.  They meant to declare war about 5 minutes before hitting PH; however, they didn't allow for enough time for decoding and as a result, their declaration of war got to Washington just in time to be seen as insulting.  Rubbing salt in the wound, albiet accidentally, didn't help them much when the time for US bombing came around. 

As for the necessity of the second nuke, I cannot be sure.  No one can.  There may have been a decision in favor of surrender relatively quickly, or maybe they would have concluded that we only had one bomb and kept on fighting.  However, what we do know for sure is that it was the day after the bombing of Nagasaki that the Japanese transmitted their acceptance of the terms of Potsdam.  In my opinion, the second bomb showed that the attack was not just a fluke and convinced Japan that we were serious about their unconditional surrender. 

edit: I can't seem to get the quote system working right.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  Hopefully people can tell my thoughts from those of the two that I quote.Mod edit for quoting

Edited by Kapikulu - 29-Dec-2006 at 22:23
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 22:17

Remove Constantine XI from the quote section on the top of the page when editing and just show it like you are answering to my quote Wink

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Toluy View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Toluy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 09:46
Originally posted by maqsad

Originally posted by clement207

I am from singapore and I say the bomb was necesary if there is no bomb my country could still be under the stupid japs.
No offence I am just speaking the truth.
But besides the bomb drop on 2 of their smallest and weakest and less industralised city.
They even lied in theirn #@%$ history books saying they liberated the others south east asia countires.
That is a damn lie trying to brainwash their civilian about the truth of the war

Well isn't it a fact that they "liberated" Asian countries from European colonial powers? Wasn't that part of their strategy."asia for the asians" or something like that. I don't see what the lie is. They replaced the european colonisers with asian colonisers so where is the lie?

I don't think so. In fact Japanese enslaved some Asians more than Europeans did.
Even if you consider this slavery as so called liberate, I would say what significance dose this 'liberation' have to native Southeast Asians. Coloniser is coloniser forevermore.
The last but not least, what is the difference between 'asia for the asians'  and 'earth for human beings'?

Edited by Toluy - 24-Sep-2006 at 09:49
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 13:25
Interesting views here.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 14:50
i felt that part of the plan was to stop the expansion of "red power" in the region, as we know, japan neighbours with soviet and china( you know what i mean), so if allies were ready to launch an attack in Japan's homeland, soviet and probably china will be the first to attack, and eventually will demand their share of the land. atomic bomb was obviously was the fastest way and the cheapest way of wining the war.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 00:30
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

A very hard debate.

Hard for who?  They can do it whenever they want, any rich nuclear country can develop the weapons if they really wanted to.  Japan has over 55 nuclear reactors.  Bulgaria, Canada, Finland, Sweden, etc.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 09:02
Originally posted by Siege Tower

i felt that part of the plan was to stop the expansion of "red power" in the region, as we know, japan neighbours with soviet and china( you know what i mean), so if allies were ready to launch an attack in Japan's homeland, soviet and probably china will be the first to attack, and eventually will demand their share of the land. atomic bomb was obviously was the fastest way and the cheapest way of wining the war.

The use of the A bomb was very definately done to make the Soviets take notice. However, Fast and cheap it wasn't. To make the bomb in todays dollars, would have cost 100+ billion. The cost at the time was so great it was nearly impossible to not use it.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 19:04
I am not sure that even the US knew what kind of weapon they had just come up with. It is indicative that no one (prior to the first test ofthe bomb) knew what was going to happen. One of the main scientists (I forget whom), involved in the project, developed this elaborate theory to show how the detonation was going to set up a chain reaction and burn up all the oxygen in the atmosphere. In short, this was new technology with unpredictable effects. I think even the US military was surprised at the destruction in Hiroshima. Of course this didn't prevent them from making the second bomb even stronger.
The bombing was not necessary. Japan would have surrendered eventually, even wihtout the much-feared (US expected 1,000,000 casualties) invasion of the home islands: a massive, 24/7 carpet bombing of Japan by US and Russian air fleets for months on end would have brought the desired effect. However, how can you tell generals not to play with their new "toys"? The naivete with which US entered the nuclear age, is exemplified by those photos from the 50's where both civilians and military personnel are watching the nuclear mushroom go up from a "safe" distance wearing just dark goggles. Half of these people are already dead from radiation poisoning. With such callous insensitivity and ignorance, you think they would care about Jap civilians? To the US, this was just another bad ass bomb that could end the war faster. "Nuclear winter" and holocaust were not in the picture yet. Thankfully for all, everyone realised quickly what the real implications are.  
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 20:51
well, talking about better strategy, the allies could just leave Japan and not do anything, eventually they will run out of oil and other resources to support the industries and the war. in a few years, food will be a problem. it would the best stretegy.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 22:30
My dad is with us over the Holidays, I have read some of this to him. He was in the Amphibs in the Pacific Theater and can speak from experience. " We were angry, angry at having our lives interupted, angry at risking our lives, and mainly, angry at an enemy who was already totaly defeated but refused to give up and continued to kill us, or try to, even though we had totally destroyed every element of their war machine,and the outcome was inevitable. We[the entire country] just wanted it over.
If you were to ask anyone who lived through that era how they felt at that time, and they were being honest, they would all say about the same".   Red Clay Sr. PO 1st class US LST 758

Edited by red clay - 28-Dec-2006 at 22:34
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 08:54
Perhaps, but you could say after september 11 that americans were "angry, angry at afganistan" -- that doesn't make their policy above criticism.  The anger was manipulated to achive the policy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>