Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atomic Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Poll Question: Do you believe it was neccessary for Japan to be nuked at WW2?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [52.78%]
34 [47.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atomic Japan
    Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 15:11
@omshanti

It's easy to sit back 60 years after the event and decide what you would have done. At the time, an inexperienced President who had the heavy weight of winning the war against fascism thrust on him mere months before, did the best he could. Saving lives were a priority, first and foremost the lives of the service people who were being asked(or told) to defeat an enemy that had brought total war to Americas' doorstep.

It's possible that many of the same people who are so critical of the use of the atomic bombs would be equally critical if they hadn't been dropped. If the Allies had invaded Japan and huge military and civilian casualties occured many would have condemned Truman for not dropping the bombs.

For those that say Japan was seeking peace, I think that's unrealistic. They were looking for other options than total defeat. It had been determined by Roosevelt that unconditional surrender was the term acceptable, this was based on the lessons of the Versailles Treaty which basically set the stage for WW II. The Japanese could have ceased military operations at any time and the war would have ended. Instead they fought with even more fanaticism and frightened allied commanders to the point where the atomic bomb became the prefered option at the time. Consider that more U.S. ships and sailors were lost in the last year in the Pacific than any other period. Iwo Jima and Okinawa were also very costly. America had lost many thousand young men and women fighting an enemy that obeyed few conventions in their pursuit of power and domination. It was time to end the war.
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 06:04
Red clay, Are you really a moderator? To be honest the lack of objectivity of some of the moderators in this forum is very disappointing.

First of all what do you mean by this (read the quote below)?
Originally posted by red clay

One thing that should not be forgotten is that one out of every five victims of the Japanese were.............Korean.
I wrote 1/5th of the VICTIMS were Korean, I never wrote 1/5th of the Japanese were Korean. It is obvious that you are trying to mock down what I wrote about the Korean victims. Let me explain what I wrote. At the time Japan had brought many Koreans to work in their factories and many Japanese people had already evacuated the big cities, which is the reason for the high rate of Koreans among the victims of the Atomic bombs.

It's very easy to badmouth the US about something that happened 60 some years ago. It's especially easy if your uninformed historically, hate the US to begin with and are willing to ignore the facts as they were in 1945. You use words like, clear and obvious to describe intentions and attitudes that weren't clear or obvious in 1945 and are even less so 60 years later.
My post was a conclusion in the context of the long and tiresome discussion I had in this thread before it was revived this time. I wrote what I wrote based on that long discussion (which nobody seems to have cared to read before reviving it) I had here, It is clear from WHAT WE HAVE DISCUSSED that saving people's lives was not an issue in America's ulterior motives. I only pointed out the fact that I have learned from this long discussion. It is really difficult for me to understand how you take that as ''badmouthing America''.     
By the way you yourself wrote this (read the quote below) in this very thread from which I learned.

The use of the A bomb was very definately done to make the Soviets take notice. However, Fast and cheap it wasn't. To make the bomb in todays dollars, would have cost 100+ billion. The cost at the time was so great it was nearly impossible to not use it.
Note that you yourself uesd the word definitely. so you do accept that things were clear, obvious or definite. So when YOU point out something like this it is ok but when I do the same I am ''badmouthing America'' or I ''essencially hate the US'' ?

It's interesting that you accuse the US of not caring about asians, perhaps you are correct,
I am not accusing anybody, I am only pointing out what I believe to be a fact. That you wrote ''perhaps you are correct'' shows very well that you can not deny it yourself, doesn'tt it? So what is the problem here? Perhaps the problem is that you take too personally every single comment that does not suit your ideal about America.

maybe we should haved behaved more like the Japanese, you seem to think they weren't that bad.
Now I see, you write ''we'' instead of America, no wonder why you take every thing so personally and assume other people to be speaking on behalf of groups and nations as well.

Also you keep using the line of ''1945 was 60 years ago therefore things were different'' as an excuse to deny everything that does not suit your argument, but here you clearly refer to America 60 years ago as ''we'' when you were not even born then. Isn't this a double-standard? To deny every thing that you do not like using the time difference as the excuse , while refering to that exact time (in which you were not even born) as ''we'' ?

I am very much aware of how evil Japan was, but that has nothing to do with pointing out a fact about America, does it? Does how Japan was change a fact about America? obviously not. What you are doing here is playing the childish game of ''they did this'' ''we did that'' to distract and twist the argument.
(although I have to say that twisting/distracting the argument is very common here in AE)

Now, since you happen to be a moderator Let me point out something for you.

You are either deluded, ignorant of history, or both. Or you think that adopting such an absurd stance somehow makes you look "cool".
This post of yours towards Dan Carkner and your last post towards me were violations of the forum rule no,8.       

Negative attitude; tone of confrontation, annoyance, or contempt; disrespectful towards other members.

By the way, since the thread has included other subjects (such as the Japanese occupations and its victims in Asia) without they being treated as off-topic, and since the topic is about the necessity, rightness or justification of the atomic bombs, disscussing the consequences of this mind-set regarding the atomic/nuclear weapons all the way to the present and the future must not be off-topic at all, and it should not be ignored. Also since many members write on behalf of their nations rather than themselves and assume others to be doing the same, here is what I would like to point out.
America is a country which is the only one in the world to have ever used nuclear weapons, and which is justifying their usage in its education-system by teaching ''we dropped the bombs and we won'' (read Pogy66's post in this thread). So how can such a country that has actually used nuclear weapons and that justifies thier usage in it's education, complain about other countries (who are not it's allies) having or developing nuclear energy or weapons? Isn't it a double-standard? Remember, a country (Iraq) has already been completely destroyed under this double-standard/excuse and the complaint against developing nuclear weapons. Now another country (iran) is being sanctioned and is on the verge of being invaded/destroyed. So the point is , either accept that the usage of the atomic bombs were not right, or stop complaining about other countries developing them and stop invading/destroying them because of this reason.

Edited by omshanti - 03-Apr-2007 at 05:25
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 19:52
Whatever the motivation, whether it was to frighten the Soviets or end resistance in Japan, the bombs did end the war.

They also ended the genocide that was going on in China. The Japanese still held large area of the Chinese mainland in 1945 and were extremely harsh on it's population. They used chemical and biological agents against civilians there and treated any form of resitance with brutality. Something like 50,000 Chinese were thought to have lost their lives for aid given to the Dolittle raid flyers alone.

Over 30,000,000 million Chinese lost their lives during WW II most of them at the hands of the Japanese. The atomic bombs put an end to this.

Anyone who thinks the Japanese were helpless victims of the Americans needs to do a little research.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 19:29
This has to be the longest thread that I have created that I have not taken much participation in. And I have to say that I got Red Clay's back in saying that you shouldnt bad mouth the United States of America. Whoever said that is a bad man. A very very bad man
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 19:06
Originally posted by omshanti

From what we have already discussed it is clear that saving people's lives was not an issue in America's ulterior motives to drop the bombs. Even if as a result some people were saved because of it (of which we are not sure and can never be sure), it does not mean that it was the best or only way to save people. If the issue is saving people (which obviously America did not give a damn about), I am a hundred percent sure that there whould have been many other ways to achieve this without dropping the bombs and killing that amount of people. The bombs were not necessary to save people's lives. It is never necessary to kill so many people whatever the reason.

One thing that should not be forgotten is that one out of every five victims of the bombs were Korean and not Japanese.

Obviously the bombs were useful for America to achieve what it wanted, but that had nothing to do with saving people (especially people in Asia). The bombs were definitely not necessary if the issue was to save people's lives.

It's very easy to badmouth the US about something that happened 60 some years ago.  It's especially easy if your uninformed historically, hate the US to begin with and are willing to ignore the facts as they were in 1945.  You use words like, clear and obvious to describe intentions and attitudes that weren't clear or obvious in 1945 and are even less so 60 years later.
It's interesting that you accuse the US of not caring about asians,  perhaps you are correct, maybe we should haved behaved more like the Japanese, you seem to think they weren't that bad.

One thing that should not be forgotten is that one out of every five victims of the Japanese were.............Korean.

Edited by red clay - 26-Mar-2007 at 19:06
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 12:28

It is a difficult question.

With the benefit of hindsight, was it necessary? I would say no, Japan was making significant noises towards surrendering. But at the time those noises were not loud enough.

An invasion of Japan, or a blockade/bombing campaign possibly going into 1946 may well have cost more Japanese civilian lives than the a-bombs did. Blockades cost lives. And civilian casualties can be horrendous in street to street fighting. I reckon civilian casualties could have been far worse, if (and its a big if) Japan decided to fight on.

omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 09:10
From what we have already discussed it is clear that saving people's lives was not an issue in America's ulterior motives to drop the bombs. Even if as a result some people were saved because of it (of which we are not sure and can never be sure), it does not mean that it was the best or only way to save people. If the issue is saving people (which obviously America did not give a damn about), I am a hundred percent sure that there whould have been many other ways to achieve this without dropping the bombs and killing that amount of people. The bombs were not necessary to save people's lives. It is never necessary to kill so many people whatever the reason.

One thing that should not be forgotten is that one out of every five victims of the bombs were Korean and not Japanese.

Obviously the bombs were useful for America to achieve what it wanted, but that had nothing to do with saving people (especially people in Asia). The bombs were definitely not necessary if the issue was to save people's lives.

Edited by omshanti - 26-Mar-2007 at 09:28
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 13:35
War sucks but you do what has to be done.  Japan would not surrender.  The everyday American soldier in Europe wanted no part of the "other war" and they all were about to be transported over..  They had heard stories of how the japaneese soldier fought till the end.

Years ago I thought the bombs were unnecessary but now I agree with Truman it was a necessary evil. 
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 22:09

in my opinion any speculation of ''what if they were not dropped'' is (forgive me to use this word again) irrelevant. The bombs were dropped and that's it. Nobody will ever know what would have happened if they weren't.
I agree that nobody can make a definitive statement about what will happen if they were not dropped.

But as for it being irrelevant, that depends on what is the issue we are looking at.

If we are just looking at the deaths and sufferings of the A-bomb victims, yes, even if the world was saved from utter destruction because A-bomb was used, nothing would change the deaths and sufferings inflicted on the A-bomb victims. That they died so the world was save would not in any way have lessened their pain and agony.

Or to put it less dramatically, even if it can be proven a million lives was saved with 214,000 deaths, the 214,000 were still the only real deaths that one can count.

But when I look at the question of the the A-bomb, I look at other things as well which I consider relevant.

However I do not think that it is right to justify a violent act such as dropping atomic bombs. I am opposing the very act itself and the very deaths caused by it.
I think we attach very different meanings to the word "justify".

However we still have the choice of justifying the deaths or opposing the justification.
Well, the poll question is "Do you believe it was neccessary for Japan to be nuked at WW2?", not whether the deaths of the A-bomb victims were justified.

But you can interprete the question your way, and others interprete it theirs.

I think we disagree on the precise nature of the question, so it would be natural for us to disagree on what is and is not relevant.
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 06:02
Hello again SnowyBeagle. We all know what happened in the occupations and nobody is denying any thing. However the topic is about the Atomic bombs dropped in Japan. They were dropped and that is an unchangeable fact, and in my opinion any speculation of ''what if they were not dropped'' is (forgive me to use this word again) irrelevant. The bombs were dropped and that's it. Nobody will ever know what would have happened if they weren't.
Personally I do not care about Japanese people. I am not Japanese. However I do not think that it is right to justify a violent act such as dropping atomic bombs. I am opposing the very act itself and the very deaths caused by it. If the topic was about the occupations I would have opposed justification of the deaths caused by the occupations. If the topic was about the whole war, I would have opposed the whole war. None of the deaths in the war should be justified. It is just that the topic is about the atomic bombs. We can do nothing but accept the deaths as reality, because they happened and that is unchangeable. However we still have the choice of justifying the deaths or opposing the justification.

Edited by omshanti - 01-Feb-2007 at 07:54
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 04:43

To accept means to acknowledge something regardless of it's justness/rightness. To justify means to prove or show something's justness/rightness.

If this distinction exist in war, I do not think anyone would say bombing civilians, be it during the Tokyo Air Raid, or Hiroshima/Nagasaki, is justified.

I'm not even sure if we could say killing an enemy soldier shooting at you is justified rather than accepted.

The Sook Ching Massacre was an unforgivable act as are many, many other things that the Japanese forces did, which should never be forgotten. However it happened in Feburuary 1942. In my post I was trying to explain the situation towards the end of the war when the bombs were dropped, to be precise the situation around August 1945.

Yes, the Sook Ching was in 1942.

Perhaps the Manila Massacre in February 1945 might be more relevant to show what brutalities were perpetrated when Japanese troops were actually in retreat in the face of superior forces from their opponents?

Or Vietnamese Famine of 1945 because the Japanese continued to hoard the food while between 1 to 2 million people starved?

Even if the Japanese war ministry was not going to surrender, it does not mean that the war was going to last.

That was not in dispute.
The question was of course, how much more blood would be shed.

I understand what you are trying to say but I do not think that to call it a ''hidden'' price is right because the bombs were dropped and therefore, there was no hidden price to pay. In other words, in reality the real ''price'' was paid by the victims of the atomic bombs and that's that, because that is what actually happened.

You can call it something else, but unless the Japanese occupation force stopped their brutality towards the end of the war (which they did not), those under the occupation were paying a price every day until the surrender.

This is not about demonising all Japanese.
Let me quote from http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/asia_ballale4.htm

By the middle of August 1945 Baker could no longer walk and like many others was close to death. Then they heard the words wished for so many times over the past three years. "Igriss sojah ik Igirisu, senso ijo" - English soldier go England, war over. They were told that Japan had ended the war as a humanitarian gesture as they were killing too many Americans. Rations were improved and all prisoners given fruit, clean clothes, soap - and hair clippers. Higaki apologised and said they could have been given fruit sooner but the Japanese commander would not allow it. 'Toward the end the Japanese were particularly friendly and protective toward us and seemed to be generally overjoyed at the conclusion of the war' Ahern recalls.

Those folks were still comparatively lucky. Some of their Japanese captors were humane. But even then, many of them were close to deaths, and their comrades already died before Japan surrendered. And all the while, the Japanese captors had it in their power to provide the necessities to prevent the deaths.

You can call the deaths of Hiroshima/Nagasaki as the actual price paid, but hey, non-Japanese were also dying when Japan still refused to surrender.

Neither can I quite agree with only using potential number of deaths in scenario A versus potential number of deaths in scenario B to determine the choice.

This approach overlooks many things.

Should innocent lives in victim countries endure more deaths and sufferings to spare the innocent lives in the perpetrating country?

At the end of the war:
Japan had 600,000 civilian deaths.
China had 7,000,000 civilian deaths.
Indonesia had 4,000,000 civilian deaths.
Malaya had 100,000 civilian deaths.

There's a lot more countries occupied by Japan.

Was it a matter of logic to say that China had far more population than Japan and thus could afford to sustain more deaths?

Or was it a matter of logic to say that nationality does not matter, another perhaps max of 100,000 more deaths for occupied territories and 214,000 less deaths of Japan is a better outcome? (since we're only talking about the last month or so before Japan surrendered)

I do respect your different opinions too SnowyBeagle. I would happily take part if you oppened a thread about the occupations.

I doubt I will, at least not at this time.

If you do understand the stakes involved, then what you choose is your own personal choice and freedom.

My beef is with those who would deny that there is a stake involve at all, as if all those under Japanese occupation were just sitting around, waiting with their captors for the final whistle to be blown.

Edited by snowybeagle - 01-Feb-2007 at 04:45
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 03:20
Hello again Snowy Beagle. I hope you don't mind me quoting parts of your post in order to express my opinions or point out some things.
Originally posted by snowybeagle

]We probably do not agree on everything, but let's leave it at that.
You are right. let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. The discussion itself is meaningful regardless of us agreeing with each other or not.

I think we have different understanding of the term justified here. I do not see what is the distinction between accepted and justified.
To accept means to acknowledge something regardless of it's justness/rightness. To justify means to prove or show something's justness/rightness.

Those below are three things I would like to point out , just for the record.

The Japaneseforces were more than adequate to carry out operations like Sook Ching in Singapore - a genocide of the ethnic Chinese.
The Sook Ching Massacre was an unforgivable act as are many, many other things that the Japanese forces did, which should never be forgotten. However it happened in Feburuary 1942. In my post I was trying to explain the situation towards the end of the war when the bombs were dropped, to be precise the situation around August 1945.

And recognition that Japan's surrender was not as imminent as some thought. In the end, the final decision that was made had rested on a balance on the choice by the war minister, who was choosing between his own feelings to continue the war,or obeying the Tenno.
Even if the Japanese war ministry was not going to surrender, it does not mean that the war was going to last. Japan was on the verge of losing the war and being conquered by two super-powers invading from north and south, it hardly had any capable military power left to delay the invasions. It is very much possible that regardless of it's surrender, Japan was going to be conquered very soon. This is a possibility that should be considered too when speculating. Also according to Wikipedia a rescript issued to Japanese forces on August the 17th emphasized the Soviet invasion as the reason for surrender.

]At this time, I will just have to settle for recognition that not using the A-bomb would have a "hidden" price, a price to be paid by those who had been under years of Japanese occupation and brutality.
I understand what you are trying to say but I do not think that to call it a ''hidden'' price is right because the bombs were dropped and therefore, there was no hidden price to pay. In other words, in reality the real ''price'' was paid by the victims of the atomic bombs and that's that, because that is what actually happened.

Now let's leave speculation.

No one is supposed to feel good about killing, not even killing of enemy soldiers guilty of war crimes, much less innocent civilians. Yet that is what is done in war - regardless of whether you are the aggressor or the defender.
Exactly , It is war .some die and some survive. Some deaths happen to allow other's survival and some survivals other's deaths. It is war and this is natural, which means that even if a death happens to allow another's survival, it has no difference from other deaths in war and it can not be justified. No single death can be justified regardless of it's consequences on other people. What I am trying to say is that even if some people happend to survive because of the atomic bombs, the very act of dropping them and the very deaths caused by them can never be justified.

Can the world ever know if the additional death toll of the victims of Japanese occupationwould have exceeded Hiroshima+Nagasaki if the A-bomb was not used?
No body will ever know because it did not happen, The bombs were dropped and that is an unchangable fact. That is why I think that speculation of ''what if the bombs were not dropped'' is neither here nor there. They were dropped and it is impossible to know what would have happened if they weren't.

The point is that there was violence all around. The Japanese occupation was unimaginably violent, the holocaust was unbelievably violent and the atomic bombs were unquestionably violent. The whole war was violent. Violence all around. Some people survived, some people died.
However not even a single death (including the victims of the atomic bombs) should ever ever be justified.

This is my opinion SnowyBeagle.
I do respect your different opinions too SnowyBeagle. I would happily take part if you oppened a thread about the occupations.

Edited by omshanti - 26-Jan-2007 at 04:01
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 11:43
omshanti, I am glad that we clear up some communications.

We probably do not agree on everything, but let's leave it at that.

This shows that the Soviets did not decide to invade because of the bombs  but rather that America dropped the bombs knowing the Soviets will invade at any time.
I did not say the Soviets decided to invade because of the A-bombs.
What I said their invasion took place after Hiroshima, on the same day as Nagasaki.

Of course in neither case should the dropping of  the atomic bombs be justified , but at least if the case no.1 was the case, it can be accepted (not justified) as just the way life is, as a sacrifice. So snowybeagle , I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Let's explore which was the case.
I think we have different understanding of the term justified here. I do not see what is the distinction between accepted and justified.

No one is supposed to feel good about killing, not even killing of enemy soldiers guilty of war crimes, much less innocent civilians. Yet that is what is done in war - regardless of whether you are the aggressor or the defender.

Can the world ever know if the additional death toll of the victims of Japanese occupation would have exceeded Hiroshima+Nagasaki if the A-bomb was not used?

Counting the death toll of Hiroshima+Nagasaki is easy when compared to counting the death toll in all the Japanese occupied territories before the surrender.

At this time, I will just have to settle for recognition that not using the A-bomb would have a "hidden" price, a price to be paid by those who had been under years of Japanese occupation and brutality.

And recognition that Japan's surrender was not as imminent as some thought. In the end, the final decision that was made had rested on a balance on the choice by the war minister, who was choosing between his own feelings to continue the war, or obeying the Tenno.

Edited by snowybeagle - 25-Jan-2007 at 11:44
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 04:49
OK, First of all , I will apologize for the immaturity and stiff-headedness I have shown.  I should not have reacted to your first post the way I did. I should have considered it  first and asked why you think that way  in stead of calling it irrelevant. I guess that is where I went wrong. I do regret it. I am sorry about that.

I did a big research on Japanese war crimes today and I have to admit that
1. I did not know so many things
2. I was absolutely horrified as I read and found out about them.
I will post a link here for the page about Japanese war crimes in Wikipedia, which is an easy way to find out about them, although it only shows the tip of the iceberg.  Please click     HERE   
As I found out about the horrible things Imperial Japan has done, Few questions came in to my mind. Why is it not known as much as what the Nazi Geramny did? It is actually much worse than the Nazis. Also what kind of mind-set were the Japanese soldiers in to be able to do such cruel and inhuman things?

I will thank you Snowybeagle for giving me a chance to learn.

Going back to the atomic bombs, no matter how hard I searched I could not find out how many people were dying per day under the Japanese occupation at the time when the atomic bombs were dropped. I am not forgetting what you wrote here

[The figures are not commonly agreed, but one mentioned in "Downfall: The End of The Imperial Japanese Empire" by Richard B. Frank put it as "In the occupied territories, the death rate for the nationals totaled some 100,000 a month --- through forced labor, starvation, and outright murder."
but I am not sure whether people were dying in this high rate at the end of the war when the atomic bombs were dropped in Japan.

]The Soviets only launched Operation August Storm *after* Hiroshima bombing, on the same day as Nagasaki bombing.
Have a look at this regarding the Soviet invasion.

Operation August Storm, or the Battle of Manchuria began on August 8, 1945, with the Soviet invasion of the Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo; the greater invasion would eventually include neighboring Mengjiang, as well as northern Korea, southern Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands. It marked the initial and only military action of the Soviet Union against the Empire of Japan; at the Yalta Conference, it had agreed to Allied pleas to terminate the neutrality pact with Japan and enter the Second World War's Pacific Theater within three months after the end of the war in Europe.
The invasion began on August 8, 1945, precisely three months after the German surrender on May 8. Notably, it began between the droppings of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima (August 6) and Nagasaki (August 9).

This shows that the Soviets did not decide to invade because of the bombs  but rather that America dropped the bombs knowing the Soviets will invade at any time.

My logic is that
1. if many more people were going to die under the Japanese occupation if the atomic bombs were not dropped, then the deaths of Hiroshima and Nagasaki can be accepted as just the way life is, some people die in order for other people to survive.
2,  On the other hand If the death rate under Japanese occupation was no longer high at that stage of the war and the war was going to end soon regardless of the atomic bombs , then the deaths in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were absolutely meaningless.

Of course in neither case should the dropping of  the atomic bombs be justified , but at least if the case no.1 was the case, it can be accepted (not justified) as just the way life is, as a sacrifice. So snowybeagle , I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Let's explore which was the case.

Edited by omshanti - 25-Jan-2007 at 08:41
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 22:32

This will be my last try.
Don't do beyond what you are capable of.
If you don't have the patience for "this", you don't have the patience to re-examine your own posts and see where you went wrong.

You are just being unfair now.
I will stick to not calling names.
I don't feel you have been fair about your presentation of my posts, but I will show it rather than calling names.

Since you seem to be obseesed with the word ''context'' I will quote the whole context from my post.

Why are you writing in present tense? Do you think that the occupation is  still continuing?
No body is questioning any death here. The question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly.Any way , nice highjacking of a thread. The thread is about the atomic bombs, not the occupations.

That is what I wrote.

Nope, what you actually wrote was

Why are you writing in present tense? Do you think that the occupation is  still continuing?

No body is questioning any death here. The question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly.

Any way , nice highjacking of a thread. The thread is about the atomic bombs, not the occupations.
First, when the sentences are in separate paragraphs instead of being together in a single paragraph can reflect a different message and can be interpreted differently.

If you quote, please quote exactly as the poster (be it you or me or anyone else) had posted.

Second, as I said before, there is nothing wrong in asking "The question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly." Just because I did not address it immediately does not mean I was ignoring it.

The thing is, as I asked you before, how do you go about validating it, which you have not done so before.

Third, you are accusing me of ignoring what you posted in the paragraph before with my line "The use of the atomic bomb is for ending the war, forcing the surrender as quickly as possible." and said that is the context I should interprete it.

But that would be what you had done yourself when you ignored my next paragraph "Any discussion on the use of the atomic bombs on Japan should not exclude looking at the potential impact if the bomb is not used"

Bringing up what effects the timing of the surrender would be is not hijacking the thread.

Don't just pick a part of my post to suit yourself using ''context'' as the reason. Don't play the game of ''my statement'' ''your statement'' with me using ''context'' for the reason to only pick a part of my post that suits your argument.
I don't play games. I trust that you are not, which is why I take the trouble to reply to you.

You are the one who started quoting me, but quoting it differently from how it was originally posted.

I take it that you misunderstood what I said, but don't try to tell me *your meaning* of *my words* is the correct interpretation.

Any way let's think about the actual situation of Japan when the atomic bombs were dropped.
First, why restrict it to Japan only?

The Japanese forces were all over East Asia and South East Asia, with millions of lives of civilians and POWs at their mercy?

Germany was towards the end of the war in Europe, were already beaten back to within their own borders. Thus, the actual timing of the surrender would only affect the Germans themselves, in theory. In real life, there were still victims in POW camps and concentration camps.

Any study on the situation also requires a look at the situations where the Japanese is still capable of affecting their victims.

1, Japan was a small nation with it's force scattered all over Asia and the Pacific fighting with antiquated weapons against America and the allied forces. It was being overly out-numbered and out-powered in all the battles and was losing all the battles of the war towards the end of the war.
Yes, Japan was in no position to menace America and the Allied Forces.
But they were still lording over the people of China, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore ... 

Perhaps that's why *some* of the opposition to the use of the Bomb come from people (or whose ancestors) from the territories unoccupied by Japan, they (or their ancestors) were immune to what the Japanese were still capable of.
The Japanese forces were more than adequate to carry out operations like Sook Ching in Singapore - a genocide of the ethnic Chinese.

They were still hoarding stockpiles of food and medicine in preparations of Allied attacks, while the rest of the populace were dying from shortage.

2, In Tokyo alone more people than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined together had already died because of heavy firebombings.

3, It's ally Germany had already surrendered.
True. 

4, America was already in the territory of Japan invading from the south and the Soviets already invading from the north ,
The Soviets only launched Operation August Storm *after* Hiroshima bombing, on the same day as Nagasaki bombing.

Japan hardly had any capable military left to fight against two super powers within it's own territory.
Not just within, but also without.
But that does not mean they would not fight.

Until they surrendered, orders were still being given to prepare to fight to the last breath.

In short Japan was on the verge of losing the war and it was a matter of days before it surrendered, few weeks at the most.
When you say a matter of days, you should indicate a matter of days from *when*.
From 6 August 1945 when Hiroshima was bombed?
From 25 July 1945 when General Carl Spaatz received the go-ahead to carry out the bombing?

Without this, the notion of Japan surrendering within days or weeks can be misleading.

As late as July 28, 1945, Prime Minister Suzuki Kantaro declared at a press conference that the Potsdam Declaration was no more than a rehash (yakinaoshi) of the Cairo Declaration and that the government intended to ignore it (mokusatsu).
Between 7 to 9 August, after Hiroshima bombing, Tenno Hirohito, Japanese government and the War Council were discussing conditions for surrender : the preservation of the kokutai (Imperial institution and national polity), assumption by the Imperial Headquarters of responsibility for disarmament and demobilization, no occupation and delegation to the Japanese government of the punishment of war criminals.

But immediately after they received news of Soviets declaration of war (August 8/9, 1945), senior leadership of the Japanese Army began preparations to impose martial law on the nation, with the support of Minister of War Anami Korechika, in order to stop anyone attempting to make peace. This was before they received news of Nagasaki bombing.

Tthe Japanese Imperial Army ordered its ill-supplied forces in Manchuria to fight to the last man. Major General Masakazu Amano, chief of operations at Japanese Imperial Headquarters, stated that he was absolutely convinced his defensive preparations, begun in early 1944, could repel Allied invasion of the home islands with minimal losses.

It would be inaccurate to perceive Japan as a monolithic body that moves in the same direction in one accord. The leadership of Japan was still divided whether to surrender. Those claiming Japan was ready to surrender soon (notice no one could commit a timing to it) were only assuming that the elements within the leadership favouring surrender would prevail naturally.

Among those still opposed was Anami Korechika who (even after both bombings) proposed instead that a large-scale battle be fought on the Japanese mainland that would cause many Allied casualties and allow Japan to elude surrender and perhaps even keep what it had conquered.

Even after the decision was made, and Hirohito made a tape recording of the surrender announcement to be broadcast on radio, the physical recording was hidden and preserved overnight because of a full military assault and takeover of the Imperial Palace by die-hard army fanatics - which was eventually crushed.

A military coup opposed to the surrender had to be put down.

This is the situation when the atomic bombs were dropped. It is quite clear that America dropped the bombs
1, to test the newly developed nuclear bombs
2, to show the world (especially to the Soviet Union) America's power
3, To avoid losing half of Japan to communism like Germany.

I am realistic enough to know that ulterior motives are quite possible for the final decision.

But what ulterior motives hope to achieve does not negate what was actually achieved for the the victims in Japanese occupation.

In Hiroshima an estimated 140,000 people and in Nagasaki 74,000 people died due to the atomic bombs.
Yes, these were terrible deaths, and so was the Nanking massacre of at least 300,000 deaths, more than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.

What is the purpose of reporting the figure 214,000 (140,000+74,000)?

Is it on the assumption that there was no possibility that the death toll from Japanese occupation, from 6 August until the day Japan actually surrendered on its own accord (whenever that might be), could exceed 214,000?

So supposing if Japan was allowed to surrender on its own accord, the maximum possible death toll among the victims of Japanese occupation is only 200,000, the decision should have been to not use the A-bomb?

Or, is it the opinion that even if the maximum possible death toll of the victims is 300,000, then use the A-bomb because 214,000 is less than 300,000?

What is the purpose of reporting the figure 214,000 (140,000+74,000)?
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 07:55

This will be my last try.

You are just being unfair now.

Let me show you the actual context of my statement above.
Since you seem to be obseesed with the word ''context'' I will quote the whole context from my post.

Why are you writing in present tense? Do you think that the occupation is still continuing?
No body is questioning any death here. The question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly.Any way , nice highjacking of a thread. The thread is about the atomic bombs, not the occupations.
That is what I wrote. Don't just pick a part of my post to suit yourself using ''context'' as the reason. Don't play the game of ''my statement'' ''your statement'' with me using ''context'' for the reason to only pick a part of my post that suits your argument.

Any way let's think about the actual situation of Japan when the atomic bombs were dropped.

1, Japan was a small nation with it's force scattered all over Asia and the Pacific fighting with antiquated weapons against America and the allied forces. It was being overly out-numbered and out-powered in all the battles and was losing all the battles of the war towards the end of the war.

2, In Tokyo alone more people than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined together had already died because of heavy firebombings.

3, It's ally Germany had already surrendered.

4, America was already in the territory of Japan invading from the south and the Soviets already invading from the north , Japan hardly had any capable military left to fight against two super powers within it's own territory.

In short Japan was on the verge of losing the war and it was a matter of days before it surrendered, few weeks at the most.

This is the situation when the atomic bombs were dropped. It is quite clear that America dropped the bombs
1, to test the newly developed nuclear bombs
2, to show the world (especially to the Soviet Union) America's power
3, To avoid losing half of Japan to communism like Germany.

In Hiroshima an estimated 140,000 people and in Nagasaki 74,000 people died due to the atomic bombs.

Edited by omshanti - 24-Jan-2007 at 09:14
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 00:04

See, you are ignoring what I wrote. I wrote in my post ''the question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly'' and you completely ignore it and write this over it.

The use of the atomic bomb is for ending the war, forcing the surrender as quickly as possible.

Let me show you the actual context of my statement above.

Any way , nice highjacking of a thread. The thread is about the atomic bombs, not the occupations.

The use of the atomic bomb is for ending the war, forcing the surrender as quickly as possible.
Any discussion on the use of the atomic bombs on Japan should not exclude looking at the potential impact if the bomb is not used, the impact on those under Japanese occupation (civilians & POWs) if Japan was to prolong the war.
My statement (in bold) which you were quoting was made in response to you claiming that this thread on the A-bomb was being hijacked to the subject of Japanese occupation.

It was not made in response to you asking ''the question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly''.

Please read and quote the posts in context they were made, do not link them to other statements that they were not made in response to.

You are not talking about ''potential impacts'' at all . You are set in your mind that the war and the occupation whould have lasted if the atomic bombs were not dropped, ignore/twist every idea or questioning that is against your belief/logic, and are only talking about the occupation itself regardless of the atomic bombs.
Who can justify that Japan have surrendered earlier before 14/15 August 1945 if there was no atomic bomb used at all?

The occupation would have lasted longer if Japan had not surrendered on 14/15 August 1945. That is quite straight forward.

Does anyone dispute that the POWs and the civilians under Japanese occupation were dying due to malnutrition and other causes inflicted by the Japanese occupation force?

If you want to dispute it, do tell what your logic is.

You can talk all you want about the question whether the atomic bomb was necessary to end the war quickly, and I have no objection in exploring what alternative means Japan could be made to surrender earlier than 14/15 August 1945.

What have you mentioned to explore how Japan could have surrendered earlier than 14/15 August 1945?

From now on I will only reply if you do not twist things in your posts.
I would thank you not to twist what I wrote into something it is not, and don't relate *my statements* to *your statements* wrongly.
Please don't accuse others of doing what you are doing yourself.
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 21:00
See, you are ignoring what I wrote. I wrote in my post ''the question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly'' and you completely ignore it and write this over it.

To call it highjacking the thread is just a way to avoid admitting this potential impact exists and addressing it.
You are not talking about ''potential impacts'' at all . You are set in your mind that the war and the occupation whould have lasted if the atomic bombs were not dropped, ignore/twist every idea or questioning that is against your belief/logic, and are only talking about the occupation itself regardless of the atomic bombs.

This is becoming really silly now. I really do not have enough time to waste like this. You are free to believe in your own belief/logic, to ignore or twist anything and to write whatever you want , but let me tell you again, I beg to differ. From now on I will only reply if you do not twist things in your posts.

Edited by omshanti - 23-Jan-2007 at 22:16
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 20:17

But the very existence of these deaths should not be questioned, nor is there any grounds for optimism that the occupation force would cease/relent its actions leading to the deaths in the delay of the surrender.
Why are you writing in present tense? Do you think that the occupations are still continuing?
The present tense refers to the questioning whether more deaths of Japanese victims would have resulted if there was a delay of the surrender, not the occupation itself.

Any discussion on the use of the atomic bombs on Japan should not exclude looking at the potential impact if the bomb is not used, the impact on those under Japanese occupation (civilians & POWs) if Japan was to prolong the war.

To call it highjacking the thread is just a way to avoid admitting this potential impact exists and addressing it.
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 19:44

I can not, because the bombs were dropped and this is an unchangable fact. Every
thing that is about ''if the bombs were not dropped'' is speculation,
and nor can you say any thing for sure about what would have happened
if the bombs were not dropped. The bombs were dropped and we can onlyguess what would have happened if they were not dropped.

If the Bomb was not used, Japan's surrender and  the timing of
Japan's surrender are, according to the same rational highlighted
above, is also no less a matter of speculation.
When I wrote that it is speculation, I did not exclude what I am saying, and that is why I wrote ''I can not'' in the beginning. I think it is very clear from what I wrote that when I said speculation I meant every possibility including my own idea too. Also, to advocate means to speak in favour of. When did I speak in favour of an idea in what you quoted or highlighted from my post? I only pointed out the fact that every thing that is about ''if the bombs were not dropped'' is speculation. I really do not understand how you read a post and make something completely different out of it.

The point is instead of leaving it as an open question , you are set in your mind regarding what would have happened if the bombs were not dropped, and you are judging the people who oppose the bombs based on your set mind.

How about this to sum up the sentiments of some of the opposition to the Bomb:
Between letting more victims die under Japanese occupation, and bombing Japanese civilians (no distinction between nuclear and conventional bombing here), always choose the former.

Re-read my post. I said *some* of the opposition, not all.
If you re-read my post you will notice that I did not use the word ''all'. Any way that was not the point of what I wrote. You are just twisting every thing. Not surprising at all though, you have been twisting the argument in every post and response you have been writing in this thread.

But the very existence of these deaths should not be questioned, nor is there any grounds for optimism that the occupation force would cease/relent its actions leading to the deaths in the delay of the surrender.

No body is questioning any death here. The question is whether the bombs were really necessary to end the war quickly.

Any way , nice highjacking of a thread. The thread is about the atomic bombs, not the occupations. You come accusing the people who oppose the bombs in a thread which discusses the bombs, twist every argument that is against your logic and write over or ignore responses, and change the subject of the thread to another subject.
Look, this is becoming really silly and a waste of time. We are talking on a completely different wavelengths,  I even doubt that we are using the same language.
You are free to twist everything again and write anything you want , But let me tell you now , I beg to differ.

Edited by omshanti - 23-Jan-2007 at 20:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>