Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tank questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tank questions
    Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 00:56
Yes it is really good to hear a professional speak, sir. But I'll admit I am a bit biased because my boss like you is an ex tanker, and he is all for an auto loader.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 05:12
Originally posted by aghart

Apologies if i came across as a bit angry in my last post, but it is a subject close to my heart and I get a bit upset when figures and statistics from books seem to count more than facts and experience.

Yeah your post was angry. What was that: "The French have no experience in tank warfare comment?"

If I may, the French created the first modern tank (with a turret and a rear engine) and the first succesful tank, this tank the FT-17 was also the tank adopted by the USA, China, Japan, Spain and Poland for first tank. Most powerful armoured division worldwide were started by French tanks....

Then, I can answer: what experience do the British tanks have? WWI, the first tank (if we can call that a tank of course) Landships were practice targets for the German artillery (hundred of them lost in the first day of battle)... WWII the Cruise tanks were disastrous. What's next? In the Gulf war the old French AMX-30 had an impressive record either used by France or by Saudi, but what about the British tanks?

If you look at results and not at stereotypes you'll see the French tanks have had, through history, outstanding performances. WWII being the only moment they failed, and it was more about conservative old leaders than to the tank themselves, since they were taken by model by the succesful American tanks (the M3 Lee is clearly inspired by the B1 Bis).

Beside, and as I adressed but you ignored that point, I've still not heard of a jammed automatic reloader on a Leclerc or a Type-90. I can understand the technology wasn't reliable in the old times but nowaday it progressed a lot. Then each countries have their own requirement on tanks, the Israelite put an engine in front of their tanks to allow the crew to escape from behind. While it is considered useful in guerillas warfare it's contested in a full scale war because a solid hit (like a anti-tank missile) in front of the tank can blow the engine... and kill the whole crew, does that mean it's a good or bad design? It just answers a need. South Korea, Japan, China, Russia, Pakistan and Turkey are all going for automatic reloaders and they certainly have their points.

I also mentioned there is no "long scale" war logic anymore, we're armed to fight martians, there will be no war between the west and China. At most we'll keep invading third world countries and that's it. Tanks, in a large scale war, would certainly suffer a lot with all those anti-tanks guided missiles, ogre shells and other stuff around. During the Cold War the French even designed 80Kton nuclear (Pluton and Hades) missiles designed to vaporise soviet tank divisions...  It's not possible to expect a large scale war tomorow and imagine tanks won't be destroyed in a large scale.

We just can't think in conventional war anymore. It's now all about third world countries and guerillas.

Edited by Exarchus - 05-Aug-2006 at 05:19
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 05:19
Originally posted by Sparten

Yes it is really good to hear a professional speak, sir. But I'll admit I am a bit biased because my boss like you is an ex tanker, and he is all for an auto loader.

Yes there are different schools, some pro and con. No need to get angered because people aren't on the same side.
Vae victis!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 11:41
Originally posted by Exarchus

Then, I can answer: what experience do the British tanks have? WWI, the first tank (if we can call that a tank of course) Landships were practice targets for the German artillery (hundred of them lost in the first day of battle)... WWII the Cruise tanks were disastrous. What's next? In the Gulf war the old French AMX-30 had an impressive record either used by France or by Saudi, but what about the British tanks?

The British Challenger tanks performed excellently in the Gulf War. The longest range kill of an Iraqi tank was made by a British Colonel. He destroyed a T-72 from a distance of more than 3 miles.

Edited by DukeC - 05-Aug-2006 at 11:41
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 12:31
Originally posted by DukeC

The British Challenger tanks performed excellently in the Gulf War. The longest range kill of an Iraqi tank was made by a British Colonel. He destroyed a T-72 from a distance of more than 3 miles.

Thanks.
Vae victis!
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 17:29

Apologies if i came across as a bit angry in my last post, but it is a subject close to my heart and I get a bit upset when figures and statistics from books seem to count more than facts and experience.

Yeah your post was angry. What was that: "The French have no experience in tank warfare comment?"

If I may, the French created the first modern tank (with a turret and a rear engine) and the first succesful tank, this tank the FT-17 was also the tank adopted by the USA, China, Japan, Spain and Poland for first tank. Most powerful armoured division worldwide were started by French tanks....

If you look at results and not at stereotypes you'll see the French tanks have had, through history, outstanding performances. WWII being the only moment they failed, and it was more about conservative old leaders than to the tank themselves, since they were taken by model by the succesful American tanks (the M3 Lee is clearly inspired by the B1 Bis).

Beside, and as I adressed but you ignored that point, I've still not heard of a jammed automatic reloader on a Leclerc or a Type-90. I can understand the technology wasn't reliable in the old times but nowaday it progressed a lot. Then each countries have their own requirement on tanks, the Israelite put an engine in front of their tanks to allow the crew to escape from behind. While it is considered useful in guerillas warfare it's contested in a full scale war because a solid hit (like a anti-tank missile) in front of the tank can blow the engine... and kill the whole crew, does that mean it's a good or bad design? It just answers a need. South Korea, Japan, China, Russia, Pakistan and Turkey are all going for automatic reloaders and they certainly have their points.

I also mentioned there is no "long scale" war logic anymore, we're armed to fight martians, there will be no war between the west and China. At most we'll keep invading third world countries and that's it. Tanks, in a large scale war, would certainly suffer a lot with all those anti-tanks guided missiles, ogre shells and other stuff around. During the Cold War the French even designed 80Kton nuclear (Pluton and Hades) missiles designed to vaporise soviet tank divisions...  It's not possible to expect a large scale war tomorow and imagine tanks won't be destroyed in a large scale.

We just can't think in conventional war anymore. It's now all about third world countries and guerillas.

Seems I have upset you  but i stand by all that I have said.  You talked about French tanks but not about the French use of tanks!!!

In 1940 France had some of the best tanks  in the world but the worst tank tactics in the world.  The result was a catastophe!!.  I can't comment any further because as far I as know that is the limit of French tank warfare experience.

If the M3 was based on a French design then  that is something to be ashamed of!! The M3 was a terrible tank!! it's only saving grace was it's 75mm gun,  which was mounted in the hull  ( what was the nationality  of the idiot that thought of that ?)

British tank tactics in the early years of WWII were no better than the French but we did learn from our mistakes and gained much experience. ( did I mention the word experience before?) 

In the first gulf war  The US & British Armies deployed fully fledged armoured divisions which blew away all opposition whilst the French deployed a "light" division that was incapable of hands on, face to face, battle with the armoured units of the republican guard  and was used instead as a  mere flank screening force.

In Germany during the cold war, the running joke about the French  AMX 30 was the the crews were all issued with umbrella's , BECAUSE THE ARMOUR WAS SO THIN IT COULD NOT KEEP OUT THE RAIN!!!

AMX 30 had an Impressive performance in the Gulf war??  I will have to accept what you say because i can't seem to remember AMX 30's doing anything in the Gulf war except losing possesion of a Saudi town at the start of the war!! (Hafji I think it was).

As for Auto loaders!! well what can I say!!  Israel., The USA, The UK, the 3 countries with the most up to date tank combat experience on the planet think that auto loaders are a bad idea.  But hey Pakistan and Turkey think they are great.

Don't you think that or $$$ savings by only having a 3 man crew rather than military or tactical thinking are behind the idea of the auto loader.

Anti tank guided missiles "ogre" shells ( no idea what that is) and other stuff!!!
Thanks to the British invention of "Chobbham" armour and the improved variants that now exist  the fact is that tanks are more likely to survive on the battlefield than at any time since 1945!!

But Exarchus!! at least you have the benefit of having a crystal ball and being able to see into the future.!!!

How else could you know how combat would evolve in the years ahead?

Glad to know that you can confirm that we will never have to fight China and that we will only engage 3rd world countries in combat in the future.

How I wish the UK had been in possession of that magical crystal ball in the past. You see our defective and clearly badly manufactured  crystal ball told us in the 1950's that manned aircraft were obselete and that guided missiles were the future and you won't believe this and i know this is a shock but is was WRONG!!

That same misguided crystal ball also said that the UK would never have to launch an amphibious assault against an enemy shoreline without the backup of US or other allied aircraft carriers.   Not quite sure then about the location of the US Navy's carrier strike force during the Falklands war? but I'm sure it was simply a map reading error!!

At least we now know for certain that we don't have to fight the martians (or the chinese) and simply concentrate on invading 3rd world countries and terrorists.

Think of the money we will save!!  Here's silly old me thinking that if your armed forces are trained, have the equipment,  are prepared and can actually protect your homeland from external attack (however unlikely) ( i assume that the  1st and primary role of the armed forces IS to defend the homeland) then  they could adapt to fight any other threat that comes along.  When all along the French crystal ball that can see into the future can GUARANTEE  that we will only be facing the riff raff Islamic militants who are upset because they don't have cable or SKY TV and we do.

Knowing that a British Army issued with Land Rovers and Trucks and a few Apache helicopters is now never going to face anything more than a few half trained terrorist fanatics I feel so much better!!!

Just going to settle down and watch a DVD called ZULU Dawn, I have seen it before when the then modern  and over  confident British Army is defeated by the Zulu hoardes, but now with the French Crystal ball I fully expect to see a British victory after all they are only 3rd world savages!!!

Edited by aghart - 05-Aug-2006 at 18:32
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 07:11
Crystal ball, personnal attacks. You're better at this than argumentating.

Any source, beyond the British popular culture, that the AMX30 was a crap tank? Once again, it was a succes from a commercial and technical point of view. The AMX30 was succesfully used in Iraq when they met Iraqi tanks (and it did face tank divisions). So maybe it was created out of paper propaganda and that it never happened so the French tank experience ended at 1940, I don't know. France seen some action since WWII, not as much as Britain or the USA (which was litteraly in a war every year since the cold war). I have never heard of that umbrella story, do you have a reliable link to back that statement?
The French forces protected the left flank, it's true they were used on the side... but if I may, the British forces protected the right flank was protected by the British. The French AMX-30 are lightly armoured, it's true, it was even the doctrine to make a far moving tank with a big autonomy. And it was a good idea, armours of its time all ended completly outperformed by guided missiles and attack helicopters... the light AMX-30 faced the 45th infantry division, totaly annihilated them. So maybe it's propaganda too.

In 1940, the French had good tanks but a bad tactic, it's true. The British had bad tanks and a bad tactic... you can go in the "bulldog spirit" stereotype, in the Battle of France the British forces didn't do any better than the French one.

Was the M3 Lee so worthless than the British forces prefered it to their own tanks in North Africa? The central canon was designed for artillery fire, the main canon for battle is on a turret, like the B1. The concept of a main tank canon set in front of a tank was the main British design during WWI (I'm suprised you don't know it) just look for pictures of British landships Mark I,II and so on. The French adopted a turret (check the FT-17). So I agree the man who decided to put the canon in front of the tank was an idiot (especially with the engine in front of the tank too, you'll understand why hundred of them were lost each days) but he was a British idiot since you ask for the nationality. Of course, it was easier for the British forces to adapt the tactic during the war, it's an island unlike France that couldn't fight anymore. During the Battle of France proper, Britain didn't do any better than France.

An Ogre Shell, for your information, is an artillery ammunition that can be fired as far as 35kms, dispenses 63 bomblets, each of them capable to break 90mm of armour. Imagine then what a barrage strike of those can do to tanks. It needs a 155mm canon, 52 calibre, to fire though.

Chobham is not a miracle solution, a Challenger II was lost in Iraq, destroyed in a friendly fire by another Challenger II. If it can be destroyed by a tank, it can be destroyed by artillery or by missiles. There is no armour than can remain invicible. That is a rule, you always find a way to break it.

About China, do you consider it's a third world country? I don't think so, maybe you do, but that doesn't make it a third world country. It's standard of living is much in late but it's not Somalia or Sierra Leone. If you think Britain can take over it why didn't you fight over Hong Kong? As far as I remember, you didn't have to give it all back to China, there was a contestation.

And what are you talking of WWII and third world countries? We're in 2006, WWII was more than 60 years ago. And it's better to have a crystal ball that living in the past... but you're wrong, I read future in chicken guts.

Enjoy the movie. And please calm down, judging by your comments (I answered your points without going personnal) I see you are the upset one. Just because I prove you wrong when you claim the French have no experience in tank warfare doesn't mean you have to take it personnal.

Edited by Exarchus - 06-Aug-2006 at 09:04
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 07:22
A research on the net tells me Khafji (and not Hafji) was a surprise attack and than the US marines were largely present in the town (I had a hard time to get the spelling, I have a video that talks to this battle at a point and the pronounciation is nothing like Khafji)... in that video (from Discovery channel, Armoured Vanguard) they say the AMX-30 played an important role in defeated the Iraqi (19 minutes of the video).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khafji
Vae victis!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 13:36

France never had a chance in the early part of WW II to show what it could do with armor. Later in the war French armored divisions did quite well with American equipment. Charles de Gaulle was one of the first officiers to see the possiblities of the tank and his writings influenced armor leaders on all sides in WW II.

As for the AMX-30 it did have fairly weak armor for it's time, something the Leclerc tank has rectified.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 14:46
Originally posted by DukeC

France never had a chance in the early part of WW II to show what it could do with armor. Later in the war French armored divisions did quite well with American equipment. Charles de Gaulle was one of the first officiers to see the possiblities of the tank and his writings influenced armor leaders on all sides in WW II.

As for the AMX-30 it did have fairly weak armor for it's time, something the Leclerc tank has rectified.

Exactly, France aquired a lot of experience from Algeria and Indochina. There were a new kind of war that helped forging a new doctrine.

As for the AMX-30, it was designed to be light and fast. The French doctrine considered armour could be obsolete in a matter of 6 years. You can even feel that on the Leclerc since the armour (which is unknown) isn't part of the hull but installed over it through packages (and can be replaced).
Vae victis!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 15:53

Light and fast is good for scouting and screening purposes, but in tank on tank combat it's deadly. The Iraelis have experienced some of the most intense armor battles in recent history and their MBTs reflect the lessons learned. Merkavas have very heavy frontal armor with speed being a secondary consideration.

It's possible the French emphasis on lighter mobile tanks will be more appropriate in the future however. Deploying tanks like the M1A2 and other monsters takes alot of resources, so does keeping them supplied in the field. The M1A2 gets something like 2 gallons to the mile in fuel efficiency.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 12:41
Merkavas are a not really heavy on the frontal armour, the engine takes up that space, the idea being that it'll absorb the blow. I wonder how it;ll do against a DU Shot, remembering they are pyrophoric.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 14:40
From what I've read the frontal armor on the Merkava is heavy and the engine placement adds to it. Unless an AP round hit the fuel tank it wouldn't result in an explosion and the crew would have time to exit in the event of a fire.
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 15:09
  [ QUOTE]I have never heard of that umbrella story, do you have a reliable link to back that statement? [QUOTE]

no link I'm afraid,  it was simply the joke we brits told about the French. We even said the same thing  about the German Leopard I which had equally thin armour!!   The Germans responded with " Chieftain" would be a war winning tank if could get out of barracks before breaking down!!!

Sadly there was a lot of truth in their comment.
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 16:52
Does Leaopard2A4 have auto loaders?
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 21:05

[ QUOTE]I have never heard of that umbrella story, do you have a reliable link to back that statement? [QUOTE]

no link I'm afraid,  it was simply the joke we brits told about the French. We even said the same thing  about the German Leopard I which had equally thin armour!!   The Germans responded with " Chieftain" would be a war winning tank if could get out of barracks before breaking down!!!

Sadly there was a lot of truth in their comment.

The Canadian C1E is a highly modified Leopard 1, thank god we've rarely if ever had to face modern MBTs with them.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 08:42
Originally posted by Scorpius

Not that I know.
Vae victis!
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 23:32

Originally posted by Scorpius

Not that I know.

As for Auto loaders!! well what can I say!!  Israel., The USA, The UK, the 3 countries with the most up to date tank combat experience on the planet think that auto loaders are a bad idea.  But hey Pakistan and Turkey think they are great.

If they think they are great then why are they investing at Leopard 2A4?

"In November 2005, an agreement was signed for the sale of 298 German army Leopard 2A4 tanks to Turkey. Deliveries are planned for early 2006-07."

raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote raygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 04:00

About the autoloader thing, I believe Marsh Gelbart, author of the Merkava book commented about having less crew member to deal with the vehicle maintenance is viewed as unfavorable. Too much work for a smaller crew.

Also, a loader can change type of ammo much quicker and in times of need can fulfill certain functions of other crew members, if I remembered correctly.

Anyway, the merkava book is a must get if your're a fan of that tank: http://www.mheaust.com.au/MHE/Books/IDF2.htm

cheers
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 04:33
The early reports coming in from the Leb are that the Merkava was not exactly the star of the show.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>