Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tank questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tank questions
    Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 14:17
I know that the Merkava has a modular package for the 12.7mm machine gun mounted besides the 60mm internal mortar.  It's installed depending if they expect helicopters to be operating where their mission is headed.  I know that the Soviets originally dropped the HMG, as well, given the altitudes and velocities CAS aircraft operated at the time, but when helicopters became a threat they were quick to reinstall the HMG on top.

IIRC, there are several ammunition programs designed to make anti-tank missiles compatible with anti-helicopter operations.  I've seen videos of the Merkava IV shoot down helicopters, and the LeClerc has a similar fire control system and battlefield management system as to the M1A2 Abrams and to the Merkava IV.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 13:29

Helicopters are fragile constructions. I guess it is possible with a .50 in MG to shoot down a helicopter.

Of course modern tanks have also missiles. These missiles are AT but they can hit helicopters as well (some times at least).

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 11:25
It really wouldn't be the first time.  The Merkava IV has shot down helicopters on several occasions. 
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 11:24
Spain too fielded ~100 AMX-30s, but were overshadowed by a larger contingent of M48s and M60A3s.  Spain has around 109 Leopard 2A4s now, and I think just under 300 Leopard 2Es [Spanish version of the Leopard 2A6].
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 13:26

Turkey wants to develop a modern tank together with someone else. Pakistan was their first choice, Korea is however also likely. Both produce modern yet cheap weapons, that allow the not so strong turkish economy to support mass production. Of course these weapons are not as good as their american or german counterparts.

Turkey bought the 300 Leo2A4 to counter the Greek purchase of 170 Leo2A6 and 183 Leo2A4 (+150 Leo1A5). I don't know if they plan to invest on them though (actually I doubt it). Turkey and France haven't had any cooperation in weapons until now. And I doubt they will, as France made a defensive agreement with Cyprus, and I guess that pissed of the turks.

About the AMX-30, I have to say that in Greece it was considered the best tank of the army in the late '60s early '70s, but it didn't survive anything near as long as the M60 and the Leo1. And as sated already, it's armour was regarded to be be far too weak. It still serves in the cypriot army though.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 17:18
I never heard of that before. So I put that on the propaganda side.
Vae victis!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 16:23
I've heard the Leclerc was designed to shot at helicopters. Is it true or pure propaganda?
I am a free donkey!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 11:03
The big if started when France recognised the Armenian genocide. Although, as for march 2006, the project wasn't cancelled (maybe it's been since, but I don't think so). In contrary of rumors, when France passed its bill to recognise the Armenian Genocide, the prospect on the tank wasn't cancelled (but a sattelite was).

But anyway, if they look toward South Korea it doesn't change the point since the next Korean tanks are also equipied with an automatic reloader.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/rok/xk-2.htm

PS: Turkey already uses French equipment, we sold them (thanks god we found a pigeon) used Avisos.

Edited by Exarchus - 17-Aug-2006 at 11:08
Vae victis!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 09:16
Originally posted by Exarchus

The future Turkish MBT will be a variant of the Leclerc.

thats a bif IF not will

I dont see the turks starting to buy or use lots of french equipmant in any big way. They will go back to the USA (esp with its new military head) or go east like korea.

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Aug-2006 at 09:17
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 05:46
Originally posted by Scorpius

If they think they are great then why are they investing at Leopard 2A4?

"In November 2005, an agreement was signed for the sale of 298 German army Leopard 2A4 tanks to Turkey. Deliveries are planned for early 2006-07."

The future Turkish MBT will be a variant of the Leclerc.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=1137956&C=europe

Vae victis!
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 17:16
I was just quoting from Exarchus!!! but countries like Turkey do tend to have a large mix of equipment and weapons with not too much in the way of standardisation. I suspect that you  may find auto loaders in the non Leopard Tank regiments assuming Exarchus is correct.
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 13:56
Originally posted by Sparten

The early reports coming in from the Leb are that the Merkava was not exactly the star of the show.

It might just be the kind of combat that's going on in Lebenon. No MBT is at it's best in an urban/insurgentcy environment, most are designed to kill targets from a distance. If you can get in close enough with an RPG, or get a side or rear shot with a ATGM you stand a good chance of taking the tank out. Thick frontal armor and a heavy main gun lose their advantage when the opposition pops up from concealed positions to engage from all directions.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 04:56

Does Leaopard2A4 have auto loaders?

Not that I know.

Originally posted by aghart

As for Auto loaders!! well what can I say!!  Israel., The USA, The UK, the 3 countries with the most up to date tank combat experience on the planet think that auto loaders are a bad idea.  But hey Pakistan and Turkey think they are great.

"In November 2005, an agreement was signed for the sale of 298 German army Leopard 2A4 tanks to Turkey. Deliveries are planned for early 2006-07."

their choice doesn't mean anything. What is economically better often takes priority over what is militarily the better choice. Not every country needs the worlds best tank. it depends on who the capabilities of their opponents and the geo-political climate that they reside in.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 04:33
The early reports coming in from the Leb are that the Merkava was not exactly the star of the show.

raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote raygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 04:00

About the autoloader thing, I believe Marsh Gelbart, author of the Merkava book commented about having less crew member to deal with the vehicle maintenance is viewed as unfavorable. Too much work for a smaller crew.

Also, a loader can change type of ammo much quicker and in times of need can fulfill certain functions of other crew members, if I remembered correctly.

Anyway, the merkava book is a must get if your're a fan of that tank: http://www.mheaust.com.au/MHE/Books/IDF2.htm

cheers
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 23:32

Not that I know.

As for Auto loaders!! well what can I say!!  Israel., The USA, The UK, the 3 countries with the most up to date tank combat experience on the planet think that auto loaders are a bad idea.  But hey Pakistan and Turkey think they are great.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 08:42

Not that I know.
Vae victis!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 21:05

[ QUOTE]I have never heard of that umbrella story, do you have a reliable link to back that statement? [QUOTE]

no link I'm afraid,  it was simply the joke we brits told about the French. We even said the same thing  about the German Leopard I which had equally thin armour!!   The Germans responded with " Chieftain" would be a war winning tank if could get out of barracks before breaking down!!!

Sadly there was a lot of truth in their comment.

The Canadian C1E is a highly modified Leopard 1, thank god we've rarely if ever had to face modern MBTs with them.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 16:52
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 15:09
  [ QUOTE]I have never heard of that umbrella story, do you have a reliable link to back that statement? [QUOTE]

no link I'm afraid,  it was simply the joke we brits told about the French. We even said the same thing  about the German Leopard I which had equally thin armour!!   The Germans responded with " Chieftain" would be a war winning tank if could get out of barracks before breaking down!!!

Sadly there was a lot of truth in their comment.
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>