Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best/favorite historical movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best/favorite historical movies
    Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:36
As a fan of world history I also like to watch historical movies.
Post your favorite ones here. One of my favorites (not very much comes up in my mind) is of course Braveheart ,Dances with wolves and Geronimo.
I hope I will see some movies I didnt know so I can watch themWink
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 23:31
I enjoy Attila, it's not very historically accurate but it's entertaining to watch.

I've been wanting to watch Braveheart for a long time but I don't know what it's about, and I don't have the time to now.

I'll have to think of more historical movies....
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 04:13
As an artistic drama the new Rome is the best I have seen for a while.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 05:54
Rome was lots of fun as entertainment, but historically not much better than average....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 06:01
Well depends on what ones means by historically correct. Some of the chracters (Atia, Octavia) are treated unfairly (though Atia is a lot like what hee grand daughter turned out to be), but for the kind of society, political issues and the ordinary lives of Romans in that sre are concerned, it was unmatched.
Remeber, these are art, not documentries. I love Shakesperae's Macbeth though it is hardly an example of historical correctness.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 07:28
I remember i hated Attila. What is it with all the bright colors, it seemed as fake as the Romans in Xena and Hercules the series.

Also the amount of soldiers on the battle field lacked tremendously. Did Attila really conquer half of Europe with only a hundred horseback riders?Smile

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 23:33
Originally posted by Ildico

I enjoy Attila, it's not very historically accurate but it's entertaining to watch.

Attila was okay.  It was interesting seeing Tim Curry playing the Byzantine emperor Theodosius II!  Overall it suffered the fate of most TV-made epics: it just did not look dirty or grimy enough for late antiquity-early middle ages.  Also, I remember thinking that the Roman legions looked very thin in numbers.  Maybe this was because of the budget?  LOL

By far one of the worst (if not the worst) historical epics is Druids, starring Christopher Lambert of Highlander fame.  This film was laughable on SO many levels.

Some of my favorites (in no real order):

1. Gladiator
2. Braveheart
3. Kingdom of Heaven
4. Thirteenth Warrior
5. Ben-Hur
6. The Robe
7. The Last Samurai
8. Last of the Mohicans
9. The Man Who Would Be King
10. Gallipoli
11. The Longest Day
12. Where Eagles Dare
13. Zulu
14. Saving Private Ryan
15. The Three Musketeers (70's version)
16. Black Hawk Down
17. The Overlord
18. The Alamo (John Wayne version)
19. Amadeus
20. Jeremiah Johnson
21. The Patriot
22. Empire of the Sun

Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 23:39
Gladiator was really good, so was Black Hawk Down!
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 08:07
In no order, Gladiator, Vreme Razdelno, The Beast of War, Platoon. Some others, but I can't really remember their names right now...
Oh, does Forrest Gump count as "historical"? :D

If we don't count historical accuracy:
Khan Asparuh- great movie for the casual viewer. 60 000 troops in a battle. Real soldiers!

Kingdom of Heaven- liked it for the most part, but the "bombardment" of Jerusalem at the end of the movie was...ridiculous.
Alexander wasn't all that bad, actually.
Ivailo- can't actually say how accurate the movie is, but it's nice to watch. Again, massive battles!

There are some nice old Soviet war movies. I've also heard about a recent european co-production movie The Profession of Arms, but still haven't watched it.
Unity makes Strenght
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 08:35
Alexander wasn't all that bad, actually.

Yes, historically it had a few errors, but compared to most movies, it was very good. They may have skipped over some important parts(Alexander's first battle), and exaggerated a bit(Alexander never got stabbed by King Porus), but a heck of a lot better than the Patriot or Braveheart.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 09:07
The Eclipse of the Crescent Moon
A Hungarian movie (1968) based on the novel of Gza Grdonyi.

I like Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven. I was always fascinated by knights and Alexander the Great.

Edited by Raider - 15-Aug-2006 at 09:08
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 14:42
If the people behind Troy could make a similar movie about the fall of Constantinople, that'd be my favourite.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 01:23
Originally posted by Reginmund

If the people behind Troy could make a similar movie about the fall of Constantinople, that'd be my favourite.

I cannot believe that a historical epic has not been made about the fall of Constantinople in 1453!  It has all the elements for a great movie - tons of action, drama, awe-inspiring settings.  I don't know who I would trust with the researching and directing of such a film.  Perhaps Ridley Scott, although he tends to inject modernism into the past quite a lot.

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 02:54
Ah, in Balkan and East European history there are so many and so good options for making a nice or even great epic movie, but Hollywood just doesn't seem to care! I guess it's up to us to make them (and in Bulgaria we stopped making history movies)...
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 06:01
One thing I'm really sad about is that our movie industry never made a film about the fall of Turnovo in 1393. It was at least as dramatic as that of Constantinopole, with a handfull of defenders led by the patriarch and monks in the city against an overwhelming army. In the end most historians belive the city fell because of betrayal, after a 3 months siege with consant assaults...
The Battle of Acheloi on a grand scale would be awsome! ;)

A movie about the Baltic crusades would also be great, and the russian battles against the mongols. Though this topics (as well as the Balkans) seem to be "obscure" in Hollywood... a shame, really.
Unity makes Strenght
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 06:20
Oh, yes, I often dream of making a movie about the Battle of Anchialus (Aheloy) or even more about my favourite Tervel! Wink
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 08:19
Have you ever seen Турски гамбит "TURKISH GAMBIT"? it is very good film
about our history.

QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 10:41
Gladiator
Troy
Cleopatra
Michael Collins
The Wind that shakes the Barley
Pride and Prejudace
Sense and Sensibility
Memoirs of a Geisha

Also the TV series Band of Brothers based on the Paratroopers of Easy Company in WW2 was fantastic! I actually bought the box set which is something I rarely do.
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 11:29
Gettysburg and God's and Generals. Two of the few movies I can watch over and over.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 10:31
I recently watched Thirteen Days about the Cuban Missile Crisis and think its one of the best historical films I seen yet. Its a great history lesson for those who don't know what happened and a great reminde for those who do.

Has anyone watched it?

Bruce Greenwood as JFK and Steven Clup as RFK in Thirteen Days

Edited by QueenCleopatra - 01-Nov-2006 at 13:41
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>