Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20th Century as Effect of Decline of Christianity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20th Century as Effect of Decline of Christianity?
    Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:11
I agree with the point about the 20th century. However, it is the way the question was originally posed.

And actually there were some periods between 1000 and 2000 in which Christianity grew in influence as well as ones in which it declined. But I accept that the whole thing could do with more detailed analysis.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 08:58

Originally posted by gcle2003

What's wrong with looking for back-up to one's arguments? This is an online discussion group. I can't show you a book. There's not much point in referring you to a book, because you may not have it available. So I need a web reference. And the way you find those is to use a search engine.

That was really rather a silly remark, unless you can suggest an alternative.
You're missing the point. I don't have anything against providing online references or materials, but against those people (and I think you're such an individual, however my belief can be proven wrong) who have little knowledge in a field, but failing to concede when shown wrong, they start to browse the internet searching for desperate arguments, therefore bringing a lot of relatively irrelevant (and sometimes worse, even inaccurate) materials. Your quote said nothing about how Epicur's philosophy was or was not Hedonistic, which was the core of our quarrel. You can't just throw random quotes on Epicur's philosophy and claim your point proven.

What you could do instead, if you don't like the quote, is find another one to counter it.
If this how you do it, now your stubborness and incapacity to concede have a plausible justification: if you don't like what you see then you find (google or invent or whatever ...) something to counter it. Well, I'm not playing such games ...

Of course I don't think hedonism only refers to physical pleasure. That's why I quoted the Declaration of Independence (which I didn't have to google for). 'The pursuit of happiness' is quite a good definition of hedonism.

Anyway what's your definition, and where do you get it from? And you might as well define what you mean by 'egoism' too, since that seems to be a rather free-floating concept.

I already provided you links which define egoism and hedonism and also faced your original interpretation of the Independence declaration with such definitions. Your failure to read is not my duty to explain. Especially when you don't have the decency to address, when you don't have the decency to concede.
On Hedonism and the Independence of America I will detail a bit below, where you further address this topic.

It's altruistic in that you are funding other people with your taxes. Now I admit that frequently people have to be forced to pay taxes and don't want to. My point is though that over most of the world many more people now happily pay taxes to support the poor, sick, old and otherwise unfortunate. They vote for governments that do that. They choose to do it.
I think you have a flawed vision of the modern society and you're not exploring the alternatives to see why you can be wrong (and my opinion you quite are). One is funding primarily himself when paying taxes, not someone else. Even an altruistic rational person cannot deny that what he pays comes back in a form or another.
Were you to be in a country with no tax system you'd assume on your own the risks of getting old without a material basis, the risks of getting sick without having proper care, the risks of having your daughter left preganant and receiving little/no help. Of course, if you're strong, hard-working, intelligent, pragmatical, healthy, lucky, etc. your risks diminish. But would you count on that? (few do, and they promote systems based on Objectivism or Ethical egoism - like Libertarianism, where everyone must look for himself; however there are many individuals which though they do not adher to such systems, they want welfare states with less involvement - these invididuals are more rather dynamic, earn higher incomes etc.)
Maybe an analogy will provide a better understanding: such "common budgets" I've seen put in practice even in smaller communities. For instance, in my company we're receiving a gift on our birthdays. But in order to have it, after we experienced for years various ways of collecting money, we decided to put away a small sum every month. Of course, it may happen that I'd be in vacation on my birthday, or that I'll change jobs before my birthday come, or that I don't like the gift, or any other scenario you can imagine that would prevent me truly enjoying what I'm paying for - with all that not the altruism makes me pay that sum, but a certain rationality of cooperation. Similarily, not altruism makes me pay the taxes or whatever I pay. And I make a difference between paying and giving, between participating, cooperating, working together and giving ;)

The picture is somewhat different in the US of course, where opposition to welfare and taxes is deeply entrenched. But - strengthening my overall point - the US is more Christian than other developed countries, as well as more backward with regard to social welfare, and the need for the community to care for the disadvantaged.

Let's leave American correlations aside for the moment and focus on European ones - you can easily browse for studies on the internet about tax paying and such reforms:
 http://www.crema-research.ch/papers/2004-27.pdf (tax paying positive attitude is correlated in Austria with Church attendance - however let's note that it's not correlated with a Christian non-egoism or such, more details in the paper)
 http://www.tarki.hu/kiadvany-e/tax-awareness/index.html (in Hungary, the adherents for reforms, like I suggested above, are rather young, rather earn higher wages; also there's some statistical correlation which seem to point out that self-interest is what drives peoples' attitude to taxes).
I'm sure you can find several more such studies about Europe, but I doubt you'll find many that will show strong correlation between altruism and tax-paying or that people would rather not pay taxes because they are Christian or other such unrealistic claims.

I think this is a blinkered viewpoint that derives from looking only at the American situation. American attitudes are not typical since Americans contribute considerably less than any other developed country to overseas aid.
I am not living in US, I've never been to US, I know little of American society. It's funny to have you pontificate what's typical when you identified attitudes I've experienced in Europe as American. Moreover, I live in a country which had received aids, I also know few people involved in various NGOs and I know some ugly hidden parts of the "charity" and of the "volunteering".
A late 70s Telefunken TV set sent to the poor as aid in mid 90s doesn't look neither American, nor altruistic. It is rather: don't put all garbage in front of the door, send it away! Or: my neighbours know now I'm a generous person. Or: I really don't care where this TV set is going!

Hyperbole. It is much much more common for people to voluntary pay tayes and support social welfare structures than it was at the beginning of the 20th century. Immensely so.
This hyperbole is preached in the New Testament. This is what kindness and altruism is. As opposed to egoism.
When supporting social welfare many see their own interest when contributing.
As for your anachronistic comparision, would you care to bring a piece of evidence? (I wonder how many social welfare structures will you be able to find out in those times, anyway)

They don't have to give up ALL their wealth to support others. It's enough to be ready to give up some of it.

It's not enough. Helping a handful of poor people out of millions while you have the resources to do more? So you're basically leaving people in misery / to die (the same point applies on the ephemeral character of your help, he will have something to eat - but for how long?, he will have a warm cloth - for how many winters? etc.). People die because of your sufficiency (not only, like I said there are many rotten undergrounds in "charity"). If you care about them, you give all you can give. If you don't care, then why bother? Don't attempt to transform the social conventions and the image campaigns in some altruistic acts when their intentions are so far away from such a thing.

Hyperbole again. Of course it isn't certain. Nothing in life is certain. It's providing the possibility that is the point.

That's as nutty as saying we can't have an immediate ceasefire because we want one that is guaranteed to last.
What you call a hyperbole it's an actual point you missed. You simply can't argue that are no people with prepaid/assured bed in Western Europe. If anything was hyperbolized here was your initial premise.

Yes they can. Unless you're an EU citizen, which you may be. Or of course, you could have arranged accomodation somewhere else.
To be an EU citizen in Europe is not quite an extraordinary thing, is it? LOL
However this claim becomes untrue if it's taken generally for EU. As a non-EU citizen (but probably not from any other country) one is allowed to travel in several EU countries (can't tell if in all; i.e. I'm not 100% sure if you can arrive today in Munich with no accomodation as a non-EU citizen, but certainly you get to Milano) if he shows he has enough money. I don't know what are the exact amounts and all the differences and nuances from country to country.

What does the conventionally accepted extent of private space to do with anything we're talking about?

There's no connection to Christianity, and none to how well off people are now compared to 100 years ago.

Huh?
I was talking about the (non-conventional) willingness to give. You seem to support this funny idea that to give is providing some (many times apparent) material advantage (which probably you don't care about it, anyway) to someone else.
As for connections, I'm not responsible for your personal problems. I wrote, you didn't address, and I'm a bit bored to keep repeating, rephrasing or pulling out words or sentences you ignored from whatever reasons.
This huge paranthesis about private space started from one brief example that it's easier to appeal to someone's pity/kindness (humanity) in a rather undeveloped part of the Europe than in developed ones. You probably lost the track of the discussion, as you prove repeatedly.

Scandinavians like a lot more private space that Italians. So what? Also it hasn't changed in the last 100 years.
Perhaps so. Since you enjoy correlations, you might want to know there is a larger percent of atheists in Scandinavia, and consequently a smaller percent of religious (particularily and, of course, mainly Christian) individuals.

Accepted. Which is why pagan and other pre-Christian traditions have lingered longer there, as I said.
True, but also the Christian traditions and also syntheses between such traditions, that's why - like I already said - it's rather a Pagano-Christian culture.

I'm not objecting to your rural-urban comparison, though rural societies can in fact be pretty paranoid and distrustful of outsiders. They do tend to look after their own however.
However I think that happens seldom at society-level and rather certain individuals are distrustful, as their own experiences made them to. Also, I find interesting to notice the outsiders are likelier to be rejected if they pose a bothering difference, which eventually freightens the limited horizon of some people. In such case, when the outsider/other is demonized, then you can have a rejection at society-level. And education is what makes rural societies easily manipulable. But I'm already diverging ...

The point is it was attacked by the Puritans, and reduced in Puritan society. The decline of Puritanism, and to some extent Christianity in general, allowed hedonism to re-emerge.
Ad nauseam. This may have happened only in those Puritan societies (though the possible causes seem more complex than you think). The hedonism generally, or world-wide, cannot be put in relation with Western Puritanism. I already challenged you to identify that special flavour of Western hedonism which could, but so far you failed to. 

I don't see how anyone can look at contemporary advertising, see contemporary films, listen to contemporary music or watch contemporary TV without realising that hedonism is much more blatantly appealed to than it used to be.
You're missing the point completely. We were talking about ethical systems, therefore about hedonism as an ethical philosophy (please read that Wikipedia article for some basics). Hedonism in this sense is not an antonymous to austerity (that's also why I replied to you above that the causalities, if any, are more complex).

Something similar incidentally occurred with the rise of Epicurean and Stoic philosophies in the ancient world: they were also associated with a decline in hedonism.
Huh? So you're saying the rise of Epicurean philosophy is associated with a decline in hedonism? LOL

Was Waterloo a defeat for Napoleon or a victory for Wellington? Did Napoleon lose the battle because Wellington won it, or did Wellington win it because Napoleon lost it?
Quite a fallacious analogy. You're equivocating two cultural movements whose relation you haven't proved with two generals leading their armies. Please ... Ermm

You might care to read the discussion of the article 
What exactly should I consider from that discussion?

I fail to see how you can distinguish 'pursuit of happiness' from 'pursuit of pleasure', especially given the multitudinous interpretations of 'pleasure' that abound in this context. Is happiness not pleasant, in your view? Or does pleasure not make you happy?
You're off the road. Hedonism, as I brought it into the discussion, postulates an ethical position. Hedonism does not allow a right to choose its principles or not. While the declaration of independence just lists some rights we have. We are free to be happy if this is what we want, however we are not forced to be happy, there's no ethical constraint to be happy. The only constraint given is to respect these rights, which ethically, does not translate through hedonism.

Of course, a contemporary meaning of the term refers to the modus vivendi, and even more trivially, to a life lived in pleasure under absolutely no relevant ethical constraint. But like in the case of egoism or other similar doctrines I brought into the discussion (and similarily you attempted to reject their presence in the contexts I created), it was about an ethical opposition with Christianity, therefore I think it's quite clear what meaning of the term I'm taking into account.

Not on the ground of his historical accuracy.
Please ... For instance, Weber postulated that capitalism was an European product, which is rather false. N. Chaudhuri, for instance, supports an original Far-Eastern capitalism (he follows the division: industrial capitalism vs comercial capitalism) - I've read a summary on Chinese capitalism presented by him in an interesting debate on capitalism during Braudel days in 1984 (talking of whom, Braudel himself doesn't share Weber's view, stressing that the modern trajectory of Europe - particularily the development of capitalism - was shaped before the 16th century - i.e. the birth of Protestantism). Weber has similar short-sights when looking at European history, because him like many of his time, there are heavy influences from the stereotypes of the Enlightenment and of the long and nationalistic 19th century.
He follows a trend of those days which attempts to assess Western Christianity (not Christianity!) as an engine of progress and cause of modernity and its achievements. Similar contemporary euro-centric (or rather western-euro-centric - for some Europe ends at Vienna) theories were issued by Durkheim, Duhem or Jaki while attempting to emphasize various "qualities" of the modern Western thought (and western religiousity - i.e. Catholic and/or Protestant Christianity). They all could've been right on certain points, but generally, their perspective is short and rather inaccurate in terms of modern knowledge. Weber uses extensively special pleading and ignores (or simply he's not aware of) the inconvenient evidences.
Not mentioning that Weber was even criticised for misunderstangind Protestant theology, so basically his theory was attacked from all angles.

Precisely why I recommended both of them. Have you read either? I even said in an earlier post that there different schools of thought about the causation factor. What I said was undeniable (and undenied) is that the two movements were correlated.
Your memory is not your greatest asset. This thread of the discussion started from this claim of yours:
"Capitalism is an offshoot of Christian puritanism "( http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/offshoot - to anticipate minimalization or denial ) therefore you stated Christian puritanism is a cause of Capitalism (in this new context of your referenced material, that would somehow Weber's point).
Furthermore, you expanded your point to an ambiguous causality (maintaining just the correlation), metamorphosizing your earlier certitude to a "dispute":

"The correlation between the growth of liberal capitalism and the growth of puritanism, both over time, and by country, is undeniable. There is some dispute over whether the Puritanism led to the liberal capitalism, or vice versa, but they were certainly closely linked."

I rejected this avoidance to support your earlier claim by invoking the famous charicaturization of the correlations.

Then you offered me the books. So, my choices would be:
- you simply have not read/understood Tawney, as some days ago you claimed with all strength "Capitalism is an offshoot of Christian puritanism"
- you're a Weberian revisionist (but that supports also the above point, too - you have not read/understood Tawney)
- you have read and understood Tawney in the last few days, which only puts on you the mark of a dishonest intellectuality as you haven't mentioned your recent lecture, your recent change of thoughts.

I have to take a break now, so I'll continue the answer a bit later.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 15:47

Originally posted by gcle2003

I have read them. A fairly essential part of my degree course. Many years ago, admittedly. I rather suspect however that you haven't, that you quickly looked them up, thought you had found something to contradict me, and ignored what I had actually said.

Coming again to you. Like I was pointed in my first half of the reply you couldn't have read/understood Tawney and claim at the same time that "Capitalism is an offshoot of Christian puritanism ". You actually said that, so I really don't understand where your complain is aiming at and what precisely have I ignored.

Christianity (some sects) over the centuries has tended to drop banning things it originally considered immoral - like, regarding the Weber/Tawney/Roper stuff, charging interest.
But this is arguably wrong, as a lot of Christian rules and restrictions came later into appliance as the context for them was created. Medieval ages were much more immoral (according to many of the modern ethics and particularily even with the Christian ethics debated here) and debauched and tolerant (though they were intolerant at the same time, of course, to different issues) than many of us want to believe. The trend of bans in Christianity is not strictly descending since the Ecumenic Synods onwards. Maybe if you focus on a short part of the history, i.e. the modern age since the 18th century it is so (and of course during the times of the Reform and Counter-Reform the trend of bans was ascending).

However, society in general makes the judgement, and I'm usually happy to abide by it as long as fundamental legal principles are followed. If a jury determines he is a murderer, then his arguments about motivation are no more relevant than his religious beliefs.

His arguments might have a 'humanist dimension' I suppose. However he's breaking the law. So he gets punished. And, given that the society doesn't agree with him, everything acceptable is done to ensure he doesn't do it again.

But you're mixing up criminality with right and wrong here, which is always a mistake.
I agree that mixing up criminality is a mistake, therefore I really don't understand why did you brought the issue in the first place? I'm not talking about criminality, but the humanist ethics which can be invoked by people whose acts are considered rather inhumane by many others. Therefore your technique of bashing an ethics starting from the acts of some individuals who allegedly follow some principles is a fallacious one. 

When a text says that something is FIRST and something else is SECOND the immediate natural English language assumption is that the first thing comes first. If you're claiming some twisted unnatural other meaning it's rather your job to find some reason to believe it, not mine to defend the natural meaning.
You certainly have some problems with this English language. Let me quote you again(!) the definition of "first" ( http://lynx.eb.com/dictionary/first ) : preceding all others in time, order, or importance . The particle "or" suggests that only one of the three cases might apply. Which is time, order or importance. You stress that only the latter is "natural meaning". What's your basis?

Anticipating your lack of arguments, let me provide you a "natural context" so you can find the "natural meaning" of the words "first" and "second".

Father to son: "First, you should brush your teeth. Second, pack your bags and go to school". Would you claim that the most important thing the son has to do is to brush his teeth, going to school being somehow of secondary importance?

An idiotic remark. I didn't say Christianisty is Judaism or that Christianity was Islam or that Islam was Judaism. I happen to have published a school textbook on comparative religion back in the 1970s (by McGraw Hill if you want repute). i know a little about the subject.
I've read a lot of bad books and a lot of compiled books which happened to contain also some bad material so if you don't have any arguments to pull out better do not even try to insinuate that you had something published at all. Coming from someone who doesn't know what an ideology is, what egoism is, who reads Tawney and claims that Capitalism is an offshoot of Puritanism, who claims Epicureanism is not hedonism, who claims Randians are rather Christians, and whatever other such irresponsible claims, I really wouldn't trust his knowledge, and certainly not trust him as a writer. If that book has anything relevant to this thread, Im sure you can expose the arguments or valid references which actually support your claims. If not, this is a cheap attempt to score.

Saying I confused them is simply ridiculous and smartass.
Putting Christianity, Judaism and Islam in the same pot doesn't make you a service. Especially now that you claimed you wrote on comparative religions.

What I quite clearly said that in all of them the same principle applies: what God commands comes first. The same is true I think in any monotheistic religion.
You're misunderstanding Christianity and you're judging it from the Old Testamentary perspective (a perspective which many theologicians reject). The commanding God is one part of the Trinity and according to many Christians not the most important one. To put it in a classical way: one substance, three persons.
How would you interpret through your axiomatic "first, you obey/love God" and "what God commands comes first" that verse from Matthew which says its easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye than for a rich man to enter Heaven?

Then we have different experiences. The ones I know - none of them particularly distinguished - are attracted by her laissez-faire views on economics, her apparent libertarianism (whether she called herself libertarian or not) and things like her abhorrence of homosexuality, and her support for racial discrimination. In fact in almost everything Rand's political and economic views line her up witb America's religious right.
I have a problem imagining Christians following an atheist preacher (which among others said that religion is a primitive type of philosophy or that faith is harmful - if I'm not mistaken one of the metaphors assigned to it was: curse of the humanity - because it's the opposite of reason), but can't argue with your own experience but I can consider it inaccurate. And certainly you're wrong when you equivocate Randianism with America's religious right. Generally, these kind of philosophies promote a version of nihilism (talking of which, have you read Nietzsche? What does he say about Christianity and pity ) which basically anulls the love for God, for the neighbour or anybody else but the self.

The precursor Malthus was Christian. Galton was a Quaker. Anyone who held an academic post in Oxford or Cambridge in the 19th century had to be Christian (as Darwin himself was). Spencer started out as one, though I'd accept he changed later.
Malthus and Galton weren't social darwinists. You seem to make a confusion between social darwinism and other evolutionist developments. Spencer spent most of his life as a non-christian, having a famous oath not to tread in a church (don't remember if he kept it until the end of his life or not).

There's nothing in Social Darwinism (as opposed to actual Darwinism) to conflict with Christian belief
Read again those lines in Matthew about loving your neighbour Wink How is social darwinism dealing with the Christian virtue of love (charity) ?

Oh, come on and be serious. You know perfectly well the Roman Catholic Church supported that crusade. At least, maybe you don't since you have to ask.
I am not asking you, I'm raising rhetorical questions. The Catholic clergy which supported the crusade is not the Christianity (what can you say about the crusade from 1204 or other conflicts with religious load within Christianity?).

You are in your muddled way, making the point there is no 'Christian ethics' since different Christian sects (and indeed different Christian individuals) see different things as right and wrong. So there's no point in trying to discuss it.
No, I'm saying there are beliefs which have wider spreadout and beliefs which are rather restricted - in space, time, social classes, etc.. When we talk about Christian ethics, generally, we should address the most widespread such beliefs - like the two verses in Matthew about love.

What one can talk about is what Christians DO and HAVE DONE, because that's factual, not hypothetical.
Like I already proved, what Christians do says nothing about what Christianity tells someone to do. And also like I already proved, blaming individuals is a dead-end, because similarily atheists, Muslims, Zoroastrians, Jews, French, Liberals, Communists, Michael Jackson fans have done various things, and whining about the harm they done won't throw a necessary blame on atheism, Islam, Zoroastrism, Jewishness, Frenchness, Liberalism, Communism, or Michael Jackson as a public person. The atheism example was chosen as illustrative because particularily atheism is the most "thin" and throws no ethical constraint on its exponents. But though I already went through this, you seem to have not understood it and some paragraphs below I'll try one more clarification (sorry for repetitions, you're asking for them).

One of the things Christianity has more or less consistently DONE is hold back scientific progress and experimentation
Huh? So the dawns of modern science, a philosophia naturalis intertwined with Christian theology, developed in the medieval Christian universities was a "consistent hold back"?
The more I talk with you I realize two things. One is that your constant denial against my ideas and aggresion towards me is motivated by a stereotypical Christianity which you keep bashing. The second one is that much of your knowledge is reflecting a 18-19th centuries influence when people still believed that Christianity taught that the Earth is flat, that Bruno was a visionary scientist or other similar naive and inaccurate visions promoted to demonize this enemy of the Western modernity.

You said, if I recall correctly, that Christianity and Humanism were not inconsistent (or possibly incompatible). Unfortunately you clipped out what you originally wrote. On the basis of that definition, which looks fine to me, Christianity is inconsistent with humanism.
Are you unable to read? That definition is not the definiton of humanism. Got it? Do you know the differences between secular humanism and humanism? Between naturalistic humanism and humanism? Have I said something else but humanism? Do you care to actually document yourself on the topics you have no clue about?

I hardly need to - you're the one that said Christianity and humanism were compatible (or something like that). Not me.
You should have read it to see why what humanism is. I still sustain that Christianity and humanism are compatible, because humanism does not claim, by definition, the lack of divinity or anything alike.

But they do.
Ad nauseam.

It's maddening the way you clip out what you wrote, and then distort it in recollection. Just for once I'll nail you down: usually it's too much trouble.

You actually wrote:
'And let me give an example. Observing the quarrels between Christians and their opponents, the latter defending atheism say "atheists cannot be held responsible for certain actions - as exponents of the atheism, of course - because their atheism does not have any morale imperatives".'

Your analogy was between Christians and atheists. Not between Christianity and atheism. My response was therefore perfectly valid, unlike your rather snide attempt at a putdown.

This is all getting to be too much. If you're not prepared to stick with what you say it's certainly too much.
If you want to be mad at something, be at your own inabilities.
Have you noticed "atheists [...] = as exponents of the atheism"? So I actually was noticing the blame thrown on atheism based on the wrong deeds of its exponents. The analogies are persistent and coherent - atheism vs Christianity, atheists vs christians. To your attempt to blame Christianity I illustrated how atheism is wrongly blamed in a similar manner. Moreover in another reply (following my example which maddened you) I stressed again the word "exponents" and I added also "And as I'm not throwing a blame on atheism because I realize that there's no ethical constraint on the atheist [...]".

The point is that you said that atheists seek to be excused from being responsible
I haven't said that.

whereas in fact it is the religious (not just Christians) who seek to be excused. There is no reason anyone should be excused from obeying the law just because of their beliefs, religious or otherwise.

You brought up the topic of relief from responsibility becuse of one's beliefs, not me. I just pointed out how wrong you were.

You're replying to your fictional debate parteners, not to me. You're the only talking here about excuses and reliefs.

Of course there are ethical constraints on atheists. Since we just mentioned Epicurus, take him as an example: an out-and-out atheist he certainly had ethical guidelines he followed (though no formalised ethical system).
I really hope you're just trolling this thread. There's no ethical constraint which can be derived (by logical necessity) from the atheism. "There is no God" has no ethical consequence. Doesn't mean one should do something.

What a pitiful childish attempt at a putdown. Of course I know what atheism is.
I doubt you really do, if you keep claiming to be an atheist has an ethical load.

Epicureanism is atheist in the sense that Buddhism is - i.e. that gods are, if they exist, irrelevant.
But this is a red herring. You should have shown how the ethics of Epicurus is derived from his atheism and not from some other principles. Please quote Epicurus saying something like "There is no God, ergo we should <...>".

Edited by Chilbudios - 03-Aug-2006 at 15:54
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 07:50
Why not stick to the point of the thread?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 08:19
I tried to in my first message and since then I'm defending against your objections.

However I noticed one of your latest additions considering some correlations. Also the average global temperature has risen between 1901 and 2000 (20th century doesn't start in 1900, doh Tongue), is this also caused by the decline of Christianity?
20th century was arguably the bloodiest (most victims) in the history of manking, is this also caused by the decline of Christianity? 20th century knows the most cases of AIDS or Alzheimer from the history of mankind (also because of the decline of Christianity?).
At the same time, isn't Japan a tolerant, modern country of the 20th century? Was Soviet Union for the most part of the 20th century tolerant, democratic or anything?

When one wants to talk about 20th century as a effect of decline of the Christianity must try first to consolidate the grounds he's staying on.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 05:40
Originally posted by Chilbudios

I tried to in my first message and since then I'm defending against your objections.

My initial post was in rejection of the implication that the 20th century was bad, and that this was the result of the decline of Christianity. I suggested that actually in many ways - most in my opinion - the 20th century was good, and that if the bad things could be attributed to declining Christianity, then so could the good.

I have no great objection to someone saying correlation doesn't demonstrate causality, as long as they accept it both ways.

Correlation certainly does not prove causality, it just hints at something worth investigation. What you then have to do is demonstrate the basis for the causal chain (as for instance Rattray Taylor does, with regard to homosexuality and incest, in Sex in History).

All you are doing in this post is repeating what I said at the outset. If one side can claim causality on the basis of correlation, then so can the other.
However I noticed one of your latest additions considering some correlations. Also the average global temperature has risen between 1901 and 2000 (20th century doesn't start in 1900, doh Tongue), is this also caused by the decline of Christianity?
You seem to be suggesting that 1901 came before 1900. As far as i'm concerned the 20th century lies between 1900 and 2000 just as it lies between 1800 and 2100.

When one wants to talk about 20th century as a effect of decline of the Christianity must try first to consolidate the grounds he's staying on.

I don't quite understand the last bit ('consolidate the ground he is staying on') but you seem to be just repeating my original point.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123