Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irish & Danes origin is Israeli tribe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish & Danes origin is Israeli tribe?
    Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 09:55
Now Dan and Angul, with whom the stock of the Danes begins, were begotten of Humble, their father, and were the governors and not only the founders of our race. (Yet Dudo, the historian of Normandy, considers that the Danes are sprung and named from the Danai.)

These are the first lines of The Danish History, by Saxo Grammaticus, and the "Danai" mentioned by Dudo is a Greek people.

However - This apparently well documented article takes it even further and claims, that both the Irish and Danes comes from this people and that the Greek Danai originally was one of the tribes of Israel, Danite.

Do you think this true, just possible, or is it pure guesswork?

Edited by Northman - 13-Jul-2006 at 09:57
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 10:01
In the middle ages, it was rather poular to claim descendance of either Greek or Roman mythological figures, or Biblical Figures. The English claim descent from Brutus, (roman de brut, wace), and I believe the Franks claimed descent from Aneias. And both Saxo and Dudo are known for turning history to their own uses. I would call it unlikely.

Our teachers always warn the students that in history you can find proof of anything if you look hard enough. That does not make it true though.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 13-Jul-2006 at 10:02

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 10:07
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

In the middle ages, it was rather poular to claim descendance of either Greek or Roman mythological figures, or Biblical Figures. The English claim descent from Brutus, (roman de brut, wace), and I believe the Franks claimed descent from Aneias. And both Saxo and Dudo are known for turning history to their own uses. I would call it unlikely.

Our teachers always warn the students that in history you can find proof of anything if you look hard enough. That does not make it true though.

Quick Lady LOL

You have had 3 minutes to read the article - I needed 15 - and had to read it more times. Smile

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 10:15
sorry, didnt read all, just scanned it. I will, I promise.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 11:13

His tendency to use CAPITALS and underlining to make his point comes across rather unprofessional.

I seem to remember from my who is who in the bible-courde there is little to no historical evidence for the exodus from Egypt. I could be mistaken there though.

One of his vital sources is from the 18th century, most others are either medieval or after. Bit late aint it?

Dan is not really a complex name. It seems a bit thin to connect the whole world because of one syllable. It is quite possible other peoples liked the sound of it as well.

The connection may have been ignored by historians because of the Jewish issue, but it could just possibly also be ignored because it is not there.

The Tuatha de Danan in Ireland is claimed to come from Greece. As said above, everyone claimed to come from Greece. Gives your people a bit more flair.

Like I said, neither Dudo nor Saxo are particularly concerned with the truth, they settled for the desired explanation, rather than the truthful one. Wishful thinking.

The Finns are unrelated to the other Scandinavians.Bringing them up actually hurts his case.

Why would the Jews lapse into worshipping Baal, or any other heathen gods? Jews tend to be rather strong in their faith the past 4000 years

Why is there absolutly no shred of either Semitic or Slavic languages left in Scandinavia? And why are they so closely related to other European languages, which are cleverly left out here?

The oyster-eaters were replaced by an agicultural people. But the Jews were not an agricultural people. Where did they learn? On their ships?

And now suddenly the Lapps were there already, while above, they too were Jews.

Irish jewelry in Denmark. In Chatillon-sur-Seine, France they found a Greek vase of about 2 meters high from the 6th century b.c. If people of the time could trade that, some jewelery should not be too hard.

He actually falls as low as skull measurements here, oh please, that went out with the war, didnt it?

No proof the Danes are no another people? Absece of proof is not proof!

How did small, darkhaired, dark-eyed, darkskinned Jews become of high stature, golden, or red haired, fair skinned, blue or grey eyed?

They appeared in Ireland before Scandinavia was heard of? Heard of by whom?

Magicwell, lets skip the comments on that

How does he know about Scandinavian languages several centuries before anything was written down?

The line of Danish kings is unbroken since the Jelling dynasty, not beyond to eternity. Well, these biblical earmarks are all really a bit silly. Snake=path?

Sorry I gave up on page 26. No use going on with this nonsense. What a load of bulls***.

Really, Northman, before I was just doubtful, but now Im absolutely convinced it is crap

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 13:35
Scanned through it quickly.
It's obviously a spoof, some history undergraduaue's idea of fun.
He should go out more often.
Anyway, hats off for all his efforts.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 17:38
Yes, I also found several things wich sounded like speculations to me, but he isnt alone in these thoughts. Here is an Australian Jew writing about The lost Tribe of Dan.

One thing is certain though. The Danes (lead by a king named Dan) came from east though Sweden, maybe at the same time the Jutes and Angles immigrated to the British Isles (450-550) or maybe a little earlier.
They fought fierce battles with the already present kings of Jutland - proved by several finds along the red line on the map below.
This didnt happen overnight as the Jutes must have been able to withstand the pressure, assumingly for centuries. This can be seen from the names of many villages, founded in that period. The names the Danes gave their villages are distinctly different than names given by the Jutes and the red line divide the two sets of names.

The red dots along the red line are rudiments of fortifications from these battles; all names of these fortifications are related to the name of Dan.

Another significant difference is the weapon they used. The Danes had better and more developed weapons than the Jutes and they introduced the burial custom, where horses were buried with their owners.

But where did they come from. The area of modern Sweden isnt the answer. Some sources points to Gotland (in the Baltic Sea) - and relate them to Goths/Gter from the area near Gteborg in Sweden.
But that cant be the origin either - they must have immigrated from the south when the icecap withdrew 8000-6000 BC or later.

Another question is the Runes, - were they "imported" to Scandinavia from Central Europe - or did they originate here?

Edited by Northman - 13-Jul-2006 at 17:42
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 04:39

What I learned was that the runes most likely came from the Latin alfabeth, and it came to the north through trade. There is evidence that there was trade between Scandinavia and the Roman empire, in coins and Bracteates for instance. It was adapted to its runic form so it could be more easily carved into hard surfaces. Thats the common theory. Are there other likely explanations? I suppose it could have com from Greece through the east, like this guy suggested, but it seem like taking the difficult way to me.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 04:42
As to where peoples come from... I once did a course on the Migration period and we watched a German series about it, and they had these maps with coloured arrows, and all the peoples came from Scandinavia on these maps.... My professor joked that Scandinavians must be very fertile te produce so may peoples...LOL So they must have come from somewhere in the east, not really any other options. They didnt fall from the skies...

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 09:10
Actually they are aliens from another galaxy far, far away.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 10:54
Well, the article is quite the same with:

if I am called John and there are other Johns in the World, they must all be related to me except the John who is Greek...
 Post Reply Post Reply