Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did you know about Georgians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did you know about Georgians?
    Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 07:53
Did you know the Georgian people was the first accepted christianity after Armenians?

Did you know that without the assist of Georgians Bizanty would be venished in 10th century?
(The united army of Persians and Armenians seiged Constantinopol but without success owing to resistance of Georgian army commanded by Tornike confessor and former general)

Did you know any story when 1500 knights destroys 100 000 army?
(In the end of 11 century the King of Georgia ''Davit IV'' had gained victory against Seljuks before destroying their 400 000 army with 56 000 soldiers  in 1121 july)

Davit IV

Did you know the part of the Crist's Cross, several beard of Jesus, the lash with which Crist was beaten, rope with wich Jesus was roped, the parts of the Chrits's grave stone and St. Virgin girdle were being saved in georgia untill 17century?

Did you know that  ''Peter the great'' is georgian?

Did you know the last queen of Bizant was Georgian princess?

Did you know that only Georgian kings were allowed to enter the City of Cairo on horse?

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 07:59

Did you know that  ''Tayyip the great(not so much great)'' is georgian?Tongue

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:21
In the end of 11 century the King of Georgia ''Davit IV'' had gained victory against Seljuks before destroying their 400 000 army with 56 000 soldiers  in 1121 july

Is this really true, if so thats a pretty sweet victory.
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:27

To make you beleive it, just enjoy this site....

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:33
"The size of the army is still a matter of debate, with numbers ranging from fantastic 600,000 Turks (Chronicles of Armenian monk Matrhew of Edessa) and almost 800,000 men ("Bella Antiochena", Galterii Cancelarii) to more realistic numbers of some 100,000 men. In any case, the Turks had a much superior army since Georgians could master only 56,000 men, including some 200 Crusaders."

Even that website you provided Datuna recognises that the sources greatly inflated the number of Turks in the battle, 400,000 men is pure fantasy, 100,000 is much more realistic, but it could be even less. Its a fine victory that doesn't need exaggerated accounts to help it out.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:35
And that enourmously stupid list of "Did you know..." puts us to where: Georgians are the number one nation?

I once had a similiar discussion in the StratCommandCenter where a bunch of Georgians were trying to put the Chivalry: Total War Modification makers into knowledge that Georgia was the greatest Medieval state and what ever else...

Well, the sense of normal people says different if you are talking of THE Russian Tzar and Emperor Peter the Great who was born in Moscow.

Not according to Wikipedia: Constantine XI married twice: the first time on July 1, 1428 to Maddalena Tocco, niece of Carlo I Tocco of Epirus, who died in November 1429; the second time to Caterina Gattilusio, daughter of the Genoese lord of Lesbos, who also died (1442). Some sources record that he had no children by either marriage, others that he had one daughter, Magdalena.

Constantine's mother was Serbian.

Still, many Byzantine princesses were married to Georgian princes and kings, in that I agree but that doesn't make Georgia special.

Did you know the Georgian people was the first accepted christianity after Armenians?

No arguments...

Did you know that only Georgian kings were allowed to enter the City of Cairo on horse?

Other's went on camels? And how often did really GEORGIAN kings go to CAIRO??? And I seriously doubt it, please some proof.

Did you know that without the assist of Georgians Bizanty would be venished in 10th century?

Interesting. I remember one little siege from that period but nothing so serious the Byzance needed assist...

(In the end of 11 century the King of Georgia ''Davit IV'' had gained victory against Seljuks before destroying their 400 000 army with 56 000 soldiers in 1121 July)

Now, I seriously doubt if the Georgian landowners were equal to western Knights or Byzantine Klibinaroi. It is Battle of Didgori that you mention here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Didgori .

This is quite interesting but it shows quite more normal numbers and the Seljuks being only with twice the numbers...

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:44
No, I didn't know...but then again, why would I?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:48
What do Georgians look like???? Do they look more Like Iranians/Arabs or Greeks/Turks or Russians????
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:53
They are white my white friend.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 09:50
So is Georgia in America named after Gerogia in Europe??

Edited by machine - 30-Jun-2006 at 09:51
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 09:54

I think thats named after some or other King George of England (I-VI) Don't you?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 11:52
King George II - according to this site.

Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 13:16

I will tell u the story of battle how 1500 men destroyed 100 000 army..

King Davit was was in ''Nacharmagevi'' (complex of church) with nobels, and suddenly he was aquanted that turks had crossed the border of the country and camped 200 miles away from that place.
The kind called the army but 1500 men were ready just in time. Without any doubt he lead the army and in the night he attacked the anamy camps. The anamy maybe expected more ''Formal Battle" having no idea they would be attacked so timely. I agree with you that maybe we didn't destroyed the hole enemy but that was enough to make them run.
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 13:42
''Interesting. I remember one little siege from that period but nothing so serious the Byzance needed assist...''

That time Bizant was ruled by the Queen becouse her two sons Constantine and Basil were too infant.
After the assist of georgians  the queen gave the lands of north of Bizanty to the georgian king, although after becoming Basil as king he coquered that lands and whent to the capital of georgia (seizing it after a 2 year seige). That was real ''Gift'' after opening the box(lands given by the queen)
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 14:04
Wait! Byzantines had three queens: Theodora (not Justinian's wife), Zoe and Irene. On which of these periods it was?

No comments about Peter the Great nor Camels?
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 14:09
the queen and nobels ruled it although it was illegal
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 14:21
as for Peter.....strange story......one of the georgian king (at this time georgia was devided in 5 parts) was at the marrige of  peter's mother as a guest from georgia, at that time russia realy needed Georgia as strong as never to protect itself from persians and turks from the south. All of a sudden the georgian king was given a sack and sent to georgia saying formally "Not to ready to eccept such high honorable guest. If you see the face of the georgian king he is the very image of his sons.  (10 years ago georgian sculptor made the sculpt of peter in moscow and russians were grumbling becouse the georgian was constructing the sculpture of "Georgian''.
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 14:29
since 16 century Egypt had been ruled by Mameluks who where caucassian people. And the very stong of them were georgians and albanians. "Egyption'' sultans mostly were georgians and they knew that, having sent msgs with georgian kings. ''As you know'' there was a standing order that no foreign kings were  allowed to enter Cairo on horse or on camel it didn't matter, but georgians could do. If you interested the georgian sultans in cairo i would tell you nice story.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by Datuna

(The united army of Persians and Armenians seiged Constantinopol but without success owing to resistance of Georgian army commanded by Tornike confessor and former general)

Who?Confused Persians?In the 10th century ? And they were allies with Armenians?
(?)

(In the end of 11 century the King of Georgia ''Davit IV'' had gained victory against Seljuks before destroying their 400 000 army with 56 000 soldiers  in 1121 july)

fairy tails,usual during Medieval times among chronicles.

Did you know the part of the Crist's Cross, several beard of Jesus, the lash with which Crist was beaten, rope with wich Jesus was roped, the parts of the Chrits's grave stone and St. Virgin girdle were being saved in georgia untill 17century?

Who sacrilegious wope of Jesus beard?!Smile
Same medieval fairy tails.-In Constantinople there was even a sample of the blood of Jesus (!)

Stalin too.Smile

Constantine XI married twice: the first time on July 1, 1428 to Maddalena Tocco, niece of Carlo I Tocco of Epirus, who died in November 1429; the second time to Caterina Gattilusio, daughter of the Genoese lord of Lesbos, who also died (1442). (wikipedia)

I am pretty sure the same super-nationalist Georgian guys hang around all history forums (as in ByzantiumTotalWar forum)

Edited by Digenis - 30-Jun-2006 at 15:24
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 17:54
I have difficulty seeing how it can be said that the last Byzantine Empress was Georgian. The last Byzantine Empress was Helena Cantacuzene, wife of David of Trebizond and judging by the name and her ancestry she was Byzantine through and through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>