Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of the Romanians and Vlachs (271-1310)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of the Romanians and Vlachs (271-1310)
    Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 20:55
An element which contradict the migrationist theory is the popular cultural heritage of Romanians

We see that migratory people doesnt preserves much else their language when they come to a new teritory.

The richness of Romanian folklore, its genuity and its archaic expression couldnt be related with a migration from somewhere.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 02:53
Originally posted by Menumorut

An element which contradict the migrationist theory is the popular cultural heritage of Romanians

We see that migratory people doesnt preserves much else their language when they come to a new teritory.

The richness of Romanian folklore, its genuity and its archaic expression couldnt be related with a migration from somewhere.
I think we agree that Magyars were migratory people. Though we preserved much more than just language.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 08:12
I think we agree that Magyars were migratory people. Though we preserved much more than just language.

In a sense, yes.

But you know how a Magyar man looked:

Partial horse burial of a Magyar man at Kunadacs.
http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/husa/origins/magyarhist/magyarsir.html

Now, turning to the subject of origin of Romanians, I would like to observe that the people who say that was a migration from Balkans into Dacia ground their opinion on nothing. There is not a clear reason to believe that Romanians descends from Balkanic Latin-speaking and not romanized Dacians. They say Dacians vanished, either before or after the Roman withdrawal. Also this theory of vanishing is grounded on nothing.

I think this kind of building a theory grounded only on personal, subjective sensations (a kind of intuition, I could say) is wrong.

Edited by Menumorut - 18-Jul-2006 at 08:12

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 08:49

In a sense, yes.

But you know how a Magyar man looked:

Partial horse burial of a Magyar man at Kunadacs.
http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/husa/origins/magyarhist/magyarsir.html

Now, turning to the subject of origin of Romanians, I would like to observe that the people who say that was a migration from Balkans into Dacia ground their opinion on nothing. There is not a clear reason to believe that Romanians descends from Balkanic Latin-speaking and not romanized Dacians. They say Dacians vanished, either before or after the Roman withdrawal. Also this theory of vanishing is grounded on nothing.

I think this kind of building a theory grounded only on personal, subjective sensations (a kind of intuition, I could say) is wrong.

Horse burials ceased after the convertion to christianity, but there is continuity in the burial accessories etc.

For the migratory theory Hungarian historians usually mention the gradual decrease of charters etc mentioning Romanians in Serbia, Bulgaria while as a paralell event the graudal increase of these documents in Hungary.

Edited by Raider - 18-Jul-2006 at 08:50
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 09:04
Horse burials ceased after the convertion to christianity, but there is continuity in the burial auxiliaries etc.

What I sayed was that a migration could not lead to such a character Romanian folklore has.

For the migratory theory Hungarian historians usually mention the gradual decrease of charters etc mentioning Romanians in Serbia, Bulgaria while as a paralell event the graudal increase of these documents in Hungary.

How are the thinks in Slovakia? Are the Slovaks mentioned more than Romanians?

Anyway, the occupation of Transylvania by Hungarians finished only in 11th century. Who were the people who oposed Hungarians?

The decrease of Vlachs (these Vlachs could have a language different from Vlachs in Carpthians) in Serbia and Bulgaria is not necesary explained by a migration of Vlachs. Ratherly, is explained by assimilation. Why to migrate the Vlachs and not the Serbs or Bulgarians?

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 09:22

Horse burials ceased after the convertion to christianity, but there is continuity in the burial auxiliaries etc.

What I sayed was that a migration could not lead to such a character Romanian folklore has.

How are the thinks in Slovakia? Are the Slovaks mentioned more than Romanians?

Anyway, the occupation of Transylvania by Hungarians finished only in 11th century. Who were the people who oposed Hungarians?

The decrease of Vlachs (these Vlachs could have a language different from Vlachs in Carpthians) in Serbia and Bulgaria is not necesary explained by a migration of Vlachs. Ratherly, is explained by assimilation. Why to migrate the Vlachs and not the Serbs or Bulgarians?
1. I said nothing about Romanian folklore. I only disagreed you that migratory people lost all of their cultural heritage except language.

2. Well I did not know. The presence of proto-slovaks is not disputed. As far as I can remember there was a migration from the West (Nitra) to the eastern territories of present day Slovakia.

3. I outlined my theory (the gradual extension of gyep, while the border remained) in the Medieval Transylvania topic. (Chilbudios heavily criticized it.)

So who opposed them? Do you have sources about the process, wars, campaigns etc.

For Hungarian academic opinion see:

(Although it was published in 1986 and in some topics it's outdated.)
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 12:09

I only disagreed you that migratory people lost all of their cultural heritage except language.

I found this image posted by you:

Despite I think the image is not very correct, it seems quite different from the image of the Hungarian peasant:

Look an image more correct, I think:

And one which shows a little about how Magyar warriors looked:

(from http://istvandr.kiszely.hu/ )

What are the elements of Magyar costumes or music you think were specifical for them at the moment of their establishment in the Central Europe? And what from that heritage was preserved till the modern age?

I outlined my theory (the gradual extension of gyep, while the border remained) in the Medieval Transylvania topic. (Chilbudios heavily criticized it.)

I visited that topic ( http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5700&KW=   ) but havent the time to read the posts.

Do you think there was a romanic population in Transylvania in 10-11th century? I dont know what gyepu is.

So who opposed them? Do you have sources about the process, wars, campaigns etc.

Coroborating the presence of Romanians attested in 13th century (or earlier, I'm not documented) with the archaeological evidences of a population with Romanian characteristics, I think that it's about the Romanians.

Also I say again that the characteristic of the Romanian people, as they appears in the first documentary mentions, doesnt seems to show them as a result of a migration. Is hard to believe that they migrated only after the Hungarian conquest.

Some would think that they migrated in a period before the year 1000 but the presence of Dacian tradition elements of culture only North of Danube (discovered archaeologicaly) attests that the romanized Dacians persisted as late as 7th century. Is hard to believe that this population was extincted and replaced by South Danube populations.

Edited by Menumorut - 18-Jul-2006 at 13:11

Artimaster View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Artimaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 07:43
It's good to see that everybody is fighting to take a part of what is called VLACHS'S HISTORY.

I'm 100% vlach. I've born in Albania and studied in Greece.

In this topic I've seen many things but the only thing that is not mentioned is that Vlachs were alwasy present in both Albanian and Greek history. They played a special role but they gained nothing as they asked for nothing.

Vlachs are a nation that use to live in southeastern part of Balkan and this is for sure
Vlachs specak a latin language and as the time went by affected or assimilate by different languages.

There are too many things and unfortunatelly few facts. 
andy4675 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote andy4675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 15:38
Originally posted by Decebal

...Although Peter, Asen, Kaloian et al are repeatedly referred to as Vlachs in contemporary documents, modern day Bulgarian historians have opposed this view, maintaining instead that Vlachs was a term which was used for sheperds in general, rather than an ethnicity. This is a rather tenous argument however, which finds acceptance only with nationalists.

In Greece we also have many Vlachs, especially on the Pindus mountains region. But today it is more a term, meaning shepherds of mountains in general. I'm not a nationalist, but I see it clearly, when talking to the Vlachs in Greece. And most of them don't believe they are of Romanian origin also. They say they are Greeks.
Great Vlachia, country of about 1150 - after 1204 (about the same time with the II Bulgarian kdm):
To the south existed a Latin state of Bodonitsa:
1881: After the Berlin Congress created the autonomous state of the Ottoman empire, called Eastern Romylia. The term is easily accepted as referred to the Romei (Greco-Romans) and Romanians. Later it was annexed by Bulgaria.
1914: Greek prime-minister Eleutherios Venizelos acknowledges to Romania the right of education and other freedoms of the Vlachs of Thessaly and Pindus as a payment for the Romanian help in the II Balkan War. "Later this move made new problems for the Greek state" - says the School book.
Principality of the Pindus during World War II:
Bulgarian autonomous nazist movements in Macedonia during the World War II (Ohrana):
If Parmenion is a trator, then whom to believe? But if he is not, then what to do? - Antipatros
andy4675 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote andy4675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 15:59

[quote]...Even in the Balkans, the people called Vlachs are not the same. The genetic researches showed that Aromanians are the people less related with other people in Balkans. Romanians too are far from the Balkanic people.

The resemblance between Romanian, Aromanian and other Romanic language groups in this European area is explainable: all these languages derive from the Latin adopted by Dacians, Thracians (which have had almost identical languages) and Illyrians, which probably were related with Thracians. So, adopting the Latin by people related linguisticaly lead to resemblant (not identical) languages.

I spcifify for the people not knowing these languages that Romanian cann't be understand and speak by an Aromanian and viceversa, the differencies are big.

For a time we better just let genetics apart.
Romanians must be descentants of the Romanized Dacians, or even Thracians. But I doubt about Illyrians, for they lived far away from Romania. Illyrians was a navy nation, also. Why to leave Illyria for Dacia? The only exception is the Triballi tribe, persuaded by Alexander.

And,of course, we know too litle about Thracian language (and even lesser about Dacian). How we can say they are related to some other language? We only can assume, from what Ancient told us...
If Parmenion is a trator, then whom to believe? But if he is not, then what to do? - Antipatros
andy4675 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote andy4675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 19:45
And something else I want to say. The most of the agricultural Greeks today call themselves "Vlachs". I believe this isn't for their nationality, but mostly for their living. For only few of them talks the so called Vlachic language. Most of them call "Vlachic" a Greek language of mountains shepherds. It's a Greek dialect of ineducate simple villagers.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Artimaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2012 at 15:14
Dear Andy,
Seems you don't know nothing about vlachs.
andy4675 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote andy4675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2012 at 15:32

I know few things about Greek Vlachs. Most of them don't use romanic Vlach language, though there was an attempt (after the second Balcanian war) to revive their language and culture by the Romanian state (means: sendind money and teachers). Probably the Greek Vlachs are mostly Greeks of the mountains. And I don't say that there is not ethnical Vlachs between them. But not everybody who call himself a Vlach in Greece is an ethnical Vlach. That's what I'm saying. If not, why they don't use a romanic Vlachic language, just being proud of their Vlach identity? Simply a question... If I'm proud of my ethnical identity I at least have to learn my mother language and my people culture - not for money, just for myself. That is what I believe.

Edited by andy4675 - 02-Feb-2012 at 15:36
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Artimaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 17:33
Dear Andy,
Do not mix the ethnical Vlach with others that Greek people use to call for non "cleaver guys".
Find below a lind and a map to gather more info.

Something more, in all these centuries vlach language has passed from generation to generation by heart (not in written), it's logic that it will be effected by other languages as times goes by.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlach

andy4675 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote andy4675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 19:59
I don't say they are called non clever. But as a street talking ("argot") the word "Vlach" mean somebody from village, not from the town. So the word Vlach means in Greek some villiger, who don't know what happens in big cities. Maybe too pure human... Yes, Vlachs don't have an alphabet of their own.
I just said, there is many men who calls themselves Vlachs without being Vlachs. Only becouse they are villigers. I think, if the nationality really matters and is not just emty word, then they have to prove they are Vlachs (mainly to themselves) by learning their tradition, their language etc. It is not a bad thing, believe me. This is the way the Greeks leave out of Greece (even inside Greece there is clubs of Epirots, Cretans, Pontic Greeks etc - it's a normal thing). Of course, there is freedom, and nobody will put them do what they don't want to. But the logical thing is to act as I said.
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 20:00
:)
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Artimaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 14:24
Dear Andy,
This is the point. You believe that whatever is said in Greece it is the true about vlachs.

First of all there is no word in vlachs "argot". Second, it is true that most of vlachs leaves in villages and these are the only one you can trace since the part leaving in towns has been assimilated.
Second, they are peaceful and leave their life in most simple way, dealing with the daily village works.
andy4675 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote andy4675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2012 at 15:20

About assimilation. It is an easy thing, when you see a Vlach girl. I don't know, how much sexually acceptable is Vlach boys for Greek women, but the girls are. And why not?

Bonde20 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bonde20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 06:06
Originally posted by Artimaster

It's good to see that everybody is fighting to take a part of what is called VLACHS'S HISTORY.

I'm 100% vlach. I've born in Albania and studied in Greece.

In this topic I've seen many things but the only thing that is not mentioned is that Vlachs were alwasy present in both Albanian and Greek history. They played a special role but they gained nothing as they asked for nothing.

Vlachs are a nation that use to live in southeastern part of Balkan and this is for sure
Vlachs specak a latin language and as the time went by affected or assimilate by different languages.

There are too many things and unfortunatelly few facts. 

Vlachs have had a central role in the history of Bulgaria and Romania. In medieval sources from the 8th Century forward Vlachs are groups of people that were orthodox christians and speaking Romance languages on the Balkan. A good book in English about the Vlachs is simply called The Vlachs. It is written by T. J. Winnifrith and published already in 1987. I can recommend this book. You Artimaster could find it very interesting as it deals also with the Vlachs in the area around modern day Greece.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Artimaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 13:57
 I know but I was unable to buy it (not found on line)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>