Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of the Romanians and Vlachs (271-1310)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of the Romanians and Vlachs (271-1310)
    Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 14:23

...Anton the Great!

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 06:28
Originally posted by Decebal

The author says that some historians have ``dared`` to assert that Latin and Dacian may have been related, which he says was definitely untrue. However, our current knowledge of Dacian is so limited, that we have no way of knowing one way or the other.
Barbarus hic ego sum qui non intellegor ulli, et rident stolidi uerba Latina Getae  Smile
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 15:10
    What you think, what happened with the Dacians?

The archaeology proved that the Dacian population continued to exist. The Dacian forms of pottery are present such late as 7th century and it couldn't be a cultural transfer to other populations because is a very clear continuation with the classical Dacian period.

The archaeological discoveries shows the steply romanization of the extracarpathic population in 2-7th centuries. I have seen photos of the archaeological cultures from these period and are convincingly enough.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 15:38

IMO the relation between pottery and language is little to none.

There are mutual influences of Roman and Barbarian (Celtic, Dacian, Germanic) pottery and artwork along the limes. The relative "Romanization" or "Barbarization" of the art or of the techniques does not have as necessary consequence a similar process in the language, or spirituality, or in various other habits that would be also meaningful to characterize a culture, to shape an identity.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 18:52
    Is true, but when it's a constant phenomenon in all Romania's provinces and when it has a very good corespondence in the direction of spreading of the latin words in the teritory, you cann't think that all these are coincidences.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 10:46

I doubt the invariability you claim, and also the perfect fit of coverages. There's no archaeological culture in the first millenium AD to perfectly cover the later territory where Romanian language was documented.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 13:56

I doubt the invariability you claim, and also the perfect fit of coverages. There's no archaeological culture in the first millenium AD to perfectly cover the later territory where Romanian language was documented.

It's not a single culture but severals. Their Dacian and roman character is obvious.

I have only a Romanian page for that, maybe you could make an impression:

History of Romanians between 250 and 1250 AD proved archaeologicaly

I also want to ask some Bulgarian brothers what is the proportion between the Latin and Greek inscriptions on the teritory of Bulgaria, if they have an idea.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 14:25
Acording to the following map the so called Jireček Line divides Bulgaria in two halves ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jire%C4%8Dek_Line )

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 01:10
Originally posted by Menumorut

It's not a single culture but severals.
I think the idea of assigning unique and bi-univocal connections between an ethnicity and some archaeological features is already obsolote.
Not to mention that some of these cultures cover larger territories than the one inhabited by later Romanic speakers.

Their Dacian and roman character is obvious.
Here you have a nice thesis (mostly in Romanian, the summary is also in English) concerning the pottery from Wallachia 5-7th centuries. http://www.mnir.ro/publicat/TTW/index_est.html
Another interesting material by the same author you can read (also in Romanian) here:

The "Roman" character of the pottery is not a sign of "Romanic speakers" / "Romanization". What is the specific "Dacian" character of Ipotesti-Candesti? Or Costisa-Botosana?

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 17:29

I think the idea of assigning unique and bi-univocal connections between an ethnicity and some archaeological features is already obsolote.

You are wrong. Ethnic apartnence of arhcaeological cultures can quite precisely be made, in a larger context, not only archaeological.

The "Roman" character of the pottery is not a sign of "Romanic speakers" / "Romanization".

It's a sign of Roman tradition. In 5-7th century pottery of Roman tradition can belong to some migratory populations?

Look how Costisa and Ipotesti pottery look:

What is the specific "Dacian" character of Ipotesti-Candesti? Or Costisa-Botosana?

See these images:

Poian, Covasna county, 6-7th century

Dulceanca, Teleorman county, 5-7th century

If you know how Dacian "classical" pottery looks, you surely would be impressed.

Not to mention that some of these cultures cover larger territories than the one inhabited by later Romanic speakers.

Not true. these cultures, named Brateiu (Transylvania), Costisa (Moldavia), Ipotesti (Wallachia) and others are found only in Romanian teritory.

Edited by Menumorut - 16-Jul-2006 at 17:41

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 19:51
I'd like to point out that I'm disapointed about this discussion we have. You probably haven't read the material I linked (you haven't even addressed it) and to me these are the symptoms I'm facing someone exposing his unchangeable ideas. However, I don't want to guide only by first impressions (though bitterly they are many times true), and attempt a real discussion.

You are wrong. Ethnic apartnence of arhcaeological cultures can quite precisely be made, in a larger context, not only archaeological.
It's preposterous to call something wrong while simply stating the opposite. "Milk is white. No, milk is black".
On this topic, please start your documentation from here:
http://egg.mnir.ro/studii/florin/Bra_frame.htm (this review encompasses several names and trends in the "ethnical archaeology" field, so you can enlarge your searches from them).
... and if I'm to mention Florin Curta you may want to read his book: The making of the Slavs (translated also in Romanian, but unavailable in local bookstores AFAIK, you may try a research/education center). You can read the first 28 pages here: http://assets.cambridge.org/052180/2024/sample/0521802024ws.pdf
This book, though is focused on a different point of view upon Eastern Europe, it has pages related to the archaeological cultures of today Romanian space, and more important, it has recent scholarly considerations about what is findable/unfindable through archaeology regarding ethnicity.
In short, not any particularity of pottery or hut building is an indicator for ethnicity. Some aspects of the material culture can characterize an ethnic group, some not. An the answer is always behind a careful study, not just a premise to feed a wished-to-be-true theory.

It's a sign of Roman tradition. In 5-7th century pottery of Roman tradition can belong to some migratory populations?
Try to document yourself about the interactions between Romans and Barbaricum (including in artwork and craftsmanship). Lucien Musset is a good start. Roman artwork does not characterize solely "Romanized" society (I mean "Romanized" considering ethnicity, particularily spoken language. We can talk as well about "Romanized" pottery, but it would be a slightly different discussion and I'm sure this is not the point you try to support.)
"Migratory populations" promotes a misleading dichotomy.

About those images, I fail to understand what you're trying to prove.
Let's take Dulceanca example.
From the links from my previous message:
Maybe you can identify what is the Dacian specific from these sites, because I honestly fail to see it.

Not true.
 "these cultures"? What about Dridu or Santana de Mures/Chernyakhov?
Also, do you know that in one of the huts from Botosana was found a 4th century Chernyakhov-type fibula?

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jul-2006 at 06:24
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 00:11
I'd like to point out that I'm disapointed about this discussion we have. You probably haven't read the material I linked (you haven't even addressed it) and to me these are the symptoms I'm facing someone exposing his unchangeable ideas. However, I don't want to guide only by first impressions (though bitterly they are many times true), and attempt a real discussion.

I have read the conclussions of those materials. Not any clear idea, this is why I didnt reffered to it.

It's preposterous to call something wrong while simply stating the opposite. "Milk is white. No, milk is black".
On this topic, please start your documentation from here:

Have I met you somewhere else? Menumorut=Ramunc. Are you somwhow Ziper, Diogene or George?

It's a prejudice (of some contemporary amateurs for history) that ethnicity has had a low degree of importance for the early medieval man. Read all the documents of that epochs. Read Procopius, the letters addressed by Barbarians to the Emperor and so, all are conscious of their ethnic heritage.

I dont want read the philosophic introspection of authors like Curta.

Do you somehow think Ipotesti or Costisa cultures belonged to Slavs?

Look how true Slav earthwae and metal ware looks:

From a Slavic archaeological station in Czech Republic:

http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/region/histor/t_rastos.htm

From the book "History of Bulgaria":

In short, not any particularity of pottery or hut building is an indicator for ethnicity. Some aspects of the material culture can characterize an ethnic group, some not. An the answer is always behind a careful study, not just a premise to feed a wished-to-be-true theory.

The question is: who made that archaeological cultures?

Try to document yourself about the interactions between Romans and Barbaricum (including in artwork and craftsmanship). Lucien Musset is a good start. Roman artwork does not characterize solely "Romanized" society (I mean "Romanized" considering ethnicity, particularily spoken language. We can talk as well about "Romanized" pottery, but it would be a slightly different discussion and I'm sure this is not the point you try to support.)
"Migratory populations" promotes a misleading dichotomy.

I'm not so superficial to think that an archaeological set of shapes is an indication for an ethnici group. But how you say, in some cases the things are evident.

From the links from my previous message:
http://www.mnir.ro/publicat/TTW/Vol_1/v1_s3/6_2Dul.htm

Man, the Slavs were there, I dont contest the Slavic influence, the pentidigital fibulas is a clear sign. but that doesnt mean the Dulceanca inhabitans were Slavs. You can easily make a difference between the Dulceanca pottery on one side and Slavic pottery on another side, by the images I put here.

"these cultures"? What about Dridu or Santana de Mures/Chernyakhov?

Dridu is not a very particular culture. North of Danube it was made by Romanians and Slavians. At Dabaca fortified settlement there is a good example of pottery from 8th century of that place we surely know was of the Romanians of "Gelu":

Santana de Mures/Chernyakhov culture was made in the Gothic federation and it illustrate their orientation toward the Roman civilization. As you may know, the pottery of this culture is not only of Roman influence but also of Dacian influence.

Check out these burials from the Targsor necropolis:

Also, do you know that in one of the huts from Botosana was found a 4th century Chernyakhov-type fibula?

Very explainable. Some of the Costisa settlements are continuating Santana de Mures settlements. What's the point?

Santana de Mures culture belonged not only to Goths but to the Daco-Roman subjugates. After the movement of the Goths South of Danube in 375 (not any of their trace was found after this date) the Daco-Roman population continued their living.

Is very signifiant that in 5-7th centuries Moldavia the pottery has not Dacian character as in Transilvania and Wallachia, but a stronger Roman character. This because the Gothic domination make a cease in the Dacian tradition of the Moldavian Dacians (Carps) and after the movement of the Goths the Moldavian Daco-Romans adopted a Roman-like still of pottery, while the Daco-Romans from Transylvania and Wallachia continued to make pottery in a clear Dacian tradition.

Edited by Menumorut - 17-Jul-2006 at 00:13

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 07:10

I have read the conclussions of those materials. Not any clear idea, this is why I didnt reffered to it.
I think you mean no radical position as in "these are/are not our proto-Romanian ancestors", because otherwise I find the ideas very clear:
"n planul ceramicii, sfrşitul confederaţiei hunice, recte migraţia ostrogoţilor la sudul Dunării, pare a fi sfrşitul ceramicii de calitate, pentru cea mai mare parte a teritoriului. Dispar specii care făcuseră epocă o jumătate de mileniu, respectiv ceramica cenuşie şi toată vesela de masă lucrată la roată, ceea ce accentuează senzaţia de diferit pe care o oferă privitorului civilizaţia Ipoteşti-Cndeşti." (The end of Hunnic confederation, i.e. the migration of the Ostrogoths south of Danube, seems to be the end of quality ceramic works for the most part of the territory. Classical species, as the gray ceramic and the table dishes, disappear, fact which emphasizes the different look offered by Ipotesti-Candesti civilization).

Or in a previous chapter about the context of these conclusion, the same author says:
"Ceea ce am afirmat despre slavi că n mprejurări excepţionale foloseau metode şi mijloace excepţionale de viaţă şi existenţă ar trebui să fie valabil şi pentru comunităţile locale, attea cte vor mai fi fost (probabil foarte puţine). Mitul ştiinţic al comunităţilor romanice stabile de agricultori, att de drag generaţiei profesorilor noştri, a obturat posibilităţile de a nţelege acest aspect al adaptării sociale." (What I said about Slavs - that in exceptional circumstances they had an exceptional life style - should be valid also for the local communities, as many as they still existed - probably not many. The scientific myth of romanic steady agrarian communities so much appreciated by the older generations, eclipsed the possibilities of understanding this aspect of social adaptation.)

Have I met you somewhere else? Menumorut=Ramunc. Are you somwhow Ziper, Diogene or George?
I don't think so Smile

It's a prejudice (of some contemporary amateurs for history) that ethnicity has had a low degree of importance for the early medieval man. Read all the documents of that epochs. Read Procopius, the letters addressed by Barbarians to the Emperor and so, all are conscious of their ethnic heritage.
I'm not minimalizing ethnicity, I'm addressing your way of picturing ethnicity with "look at these pots" kind of arguments.
Also you don't know what they mean by the so-called ethnonyms (especially that is not a genuine recording, all happens through the intervention of a historian, in this case Procopius). Curta's thesis for Slavs is that Antes and Sclavenes are not some genuine ethnonyms but reflected the political relation of some barbarian groups with the Byzantine Empire. Probably we still have to wait some time until a brave historian would attempt to demolish the nationalist version of proto-Romanian ethnicity from north of Danube.

I dont want read the philosophic introspection of authors like Curta.
You're dismissing materials you haven't read and/or understand. If you address the 28 pages excerpt, you should realize that any decent scholar should present the historiographical and conceptual framework before his actual thesis. The summary of that book (included in that excerpt) should enlighten anyone that there's a lot of data analysis and not just some sterile hypothetical considerations.
Before throwing other derogatory labels try at least to read these presentations:

I'm skipping the further "look at these pots" arguments. Refer to my above links and try to point out a meaningful archaeological correlation (to talk in scholarly terms: please point out the identity markers).
As for the pottery analysis, you made no point about the morphology, about the techniques. There are pots worldwide which bear degrees of visual similarities with the ones posted by you.

Dridu is not a very particular culture.
I translate that as "this doesn't support my point so I rather ignore it" LOL

Very explainable. Some of the Costisa settlements are continuating Santana de Mures settlements. What's the point?

Santana de Mures culture belonged not only to Goths but to the Daco-Roman subjugates. After the movement of the Goths South of Danube in 375 (not any of their trace was found after this date) the Daco-Roman population continued their living.

Is very signifiant that in 5-7th centuries Moldavia the pottery has not Dacian character as in Transilvania and Wallachia, but a stronger Roman character. This because the Gothic domination make a cease in the Dacian tradition of the Moldavian Dacians (Carps) and after the movement of the Goths the Moldavian Daco-Romans adopted a Roman-like still of pottery, while the Daco-Romans from Transylvania and Wallachia continued to make pottery in a clear Dacian tradition. 
On one hand you affirm that no trace of the Goths was found after a certain date, on the other hand you affirm their culture was continued partially by Costisa-Botosana. Your thesis seemes to be the that the local "Daco-Romans" continued this culture. Why "Daco-Romans" and not Goths or other populations (Moldavia was weakly Romanized if it was at all, there were not only "Dacians" - read Thracian tribes - but also Iranian, etc.), I don't understand. Probably the arguments must be twisted according to a dogmatic thesis which they must support.
Before attempting further discussion on this topic please read also:
as it identifies many of the dogmas I would otherwise have to identify myself.

However, let's note that my initial point about coverage still stands up. You attempted to avoid the cultures which integrated today Romanian territories in larger units, while being unable to create a coherent cultural horizon of the local archaeological cultures which completely covers today Romanian territory.

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jul-2006 at 07:27
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 09:19
"n planul ceramicii, sfrşitul confederaţiei hunice, recte migraţia ostrogoţilor la sudul Dunării, pare a fi sf

We should move such discussions on a Non-English topic. I`all answer you on private.

(What I said about Slavs - that in exceptional circumstances they had an exceptional life style - should be valid also for the local communities, as many as they still existed - probably not many. The scientific myth of romanic steady agrarian communities so much appreciated by the older generations, eclipsed the possibilities of understanding this aspect of social adaptation.)

You want say that the author says Ipoesti culture could belong to Slavs? I think not. I have read such an opinion of a Bulgarian author but is totaly ungrounded.

Ofcourse, Slavs could have exceptional life style and material expressions, but in any case this could not lead to a culture like Ipotesti.

See these links with photos from Vadu Sapat (Budureasca) archaeologicalsite:

2003 report

2004 report2001 report2001 report

And some images from the same addresses:

I'm not minimalizing ethnicity, I'm addressing your way of picturing ethnicity with "look at these pots" kind of arguments.

Man, the people who made those cultures could be Slavs, Avars or something else?

Also you don't know what they mean by the so-called ethnonyms (especially that is not a genuine recording, all happens through the intervention of a historian, in this case Procopius).

you think, for example, that when Gepids are addressing Emperor about them or about Franks, its possible to be something else than Gepids or Franks? I understand your prejudices, it's a new sort of preconceived ideas. Try to see the things with the eyes of a man of that times.

Curta's thesis for Slavs is that Antes and Sclavenes are not some genuine ethnonyms but reflected the political relation of some barbarian groups with the Byzantine Empire.

I think Curta is right in this point. But did Curta sayed the same about Goths or Gepids, for example?

Probably we still have to wait some time until a brave historian would attempt to demolish the nationalist version of proto-Romanian ethnicity from north of Danube.

This theory is the only one which explain everything: the non-balkanic character of the Romanian language, the distribution of Latin origin words in the teritory of Romania, the "mistery" of Ciresanu, Costisa, Ipoesti and Brateiu cultures.

Do you know that after 400 there is almost not any Latin inscription in Balkans, including today Serbia or the fortresses on the Northern bank of Danube (Sucidava-Corabia)? All are Greek. When do you think have took place that migration of romanic population from South to North of Danube?

Dridu is not a very particular culture.
I translate that as "this doesn't support my point so I rather ignore it"

Not at all. In the 8-11 century it was an omogenization of the cultural aspects North and South of Danube. The Dacian and Roman expression forms in pottery no more existed due to changes in social and political new realities. But the population was Romanian and in a measure, Slav.

On one hand you affirm that no trace of the Goths was found after a certain date, on the other hand you affirm their culture was continued partially by Costisa-Botosana.

Ididnt afirmed that the Santana de Mures was continued by Costisa. I only afirmed that some settlements have a continuity of inhabitance from Santana period to Costisa. But how Curta sayed, the classical forms of pottery dissapeared with the movement of the Goths. The Roman-like forms of pottery of Costisa had other significaton, I allready sayed.

Your thesis seemes to be the that the local "Daco-Romans" continued this culture. Why "Daco-Romans" and not Goths or other populations (Moldavia was weakly Romanized if it was at all, there were not only "Dacians" - read Thracian tribes - but also Iranian, etc.), I don't understand. Probably the arguments must be twisted according to a dogmatic thesis which they must support.

The Daco-Romans subjugated by Goths have adopted in the time of that domination the Gothic forms of culture. After the Goths left Dacia, they didnt used more that forms.

Even the pottery forms in Moldavia were the most Roman-like, Moldavia remained the less latinized region.

However, let's note that my initial point about coverage still stands up. You attempted to avoid the cultures which integrated today Romanian territories in larger units, while being unable to create a coherent cultural horizon of the local archaeological cultures which completely covers today Romanian territory.

Not at all. I allready sayed Dridu was a culture common South and North of Danube, and even more.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 11:37

We should move such discussions on a Non-English topic. I`all answer you on private.

We shouldn't. The Romanian text posted by me in this thread (except the links) has a corresponding English translation/adaptation/summary Wink

You want say that the author says Ipoesti culture could belong to Slavs? I think not. I have read such an opinion of a Bulgarian author but is totaly ungrounded.

Ofcourse, Slavs could have exceptional life style and material expressions, but in any case this could not lead to a culture like Ipotesti.

See these links with photos from Vadu Sapat (Budureasca) archaeologicalsite

No, I don't. Please read carefully the material before replying.

Man, the people who made those cultures could be Slavs, Avars or something else?
You seem to think that there are few options. I must remind you that "if not A then B" type of argument works when we have detailed knowledge, which is not the case for the history of this time and space. There are premises for various ethnical structures to have developed during the first millenium in this space: Celtic, Thracian, Iranian, Germanic, Slavic, Turkic populations, not mentioning the Roman and Byzantine influences and colonizations.

you think, for example, that when Gepids are addressing Emperor about them or about Franks, its possible to be something else than Gepids or Franks?
How many original Gepidic accounts do you know? How many original proto-Romanian accounts do you know? How many accounts testifying a proto-Romanian ethnicity do you know?

I understand your prejudices, it's a new sort of preconceived ideas. Try to see the things with the eyes of a man of that times.
I fail to see what you mean.
To see with the eyes of a man of those times, means also to judge with his mind, i.e. not having strong and accurate informations. Of course we can add even some rhetorical arguments like what did he care about some historians of 20th-21st centuries arguing over his statements LOL

But did Curta sayed the same about Goths or Gepids, for example?
Not much (from what I've read about estabilishing such identities) but he criticized Ipotesti-Candesti culture which he sees as being "invented"  by Romanian archaeologists to illustrate the autochtonous life of Romanic populations before the Avaro-Slavic invasion. Again, please read the above links (Eugen S. Teodor's thesis) where the argument against the same myth of "autochtonous Romanic" vs "migratory Slavic" is issued.

This theory is the only one which explain everything: the non-balkanic character of the Romanian language, the distribution of Latin origin words in the teritory of Romania, the "mistery" of Ciresanu, Costisa, Ipoesti and Brateiu cultures.
Niculescu's paper warns against this uncritical interdisciplinarity: "There is a high correlation between mixed argumentation (the indiscriminate use of results from other disciplines) and nationalist reconstructions of the past."

About what "archaeological misteries" do you talk about?
What about language? The non-Balkanic character refers to certain particularities, yet other aspects integrate the Romanian language in a Balkanic speaking space. The distribution of Latin words shows only some directions of propagation, what's exactly the point here?

Do you know that after 400 there is almost not any Latin inscription in Balkans, including today Serbia or the fortresses on the Northern bank of Danube (Sucidava-Corabia)? All are Greek. When do you think have took place that migration of romanic population from South to North of Danube?
What's this red herring and straw man? We were talking about north-Danubian archaeological cultures and I have now to defend South-North migrations?? And even so, there would be opportunities for such migrations. Some scholars pointed out that the Avaro-Bulgaro-Slavic invasions/migrations from 5-6th centuries forced a considerable part of the Balkanic populations to move their settlements (not necessarily towards North, but like I said: opportunities).
The movement of settlements is also covered in the above links. At a smaller scale, you can check the movement of Dulceanca settlement (as we kept talking about it) or the other considerations on the disapperance/fading of some north-Danubian cultures, which E. S. Teodor sees as a consequence not of extermination but of resettlement, i.e. from earthen/stone steady settlements to temporary settlements (wooden shelters, tents) which are hard to be noticed archaeologically. Of course, this doesn't prove a South-North migration, but it certainly shakes the "steady autochtonous population" myth.

I didnt afirmed that the Santana de Mures was continued by Costisa. I only afirmed that some settlements have a continuity of inhabitance from Santana period to Costisa.
I also only affirmed "partially continued". My interpretation would be slightly different but my formula covered also your understanding and still does.

But how Curta sayed, the classical forms of pottery dissapeared with the movement of the Goths.
Eugen S. Teodor said that. Maybe Curta said it too, I am not sure, but I haven't quoted him on that Big smile

The Roman-like forms of pottery of Costisa had other significaton, I allready sayed.
I may have missed it, which is their significance?

The Daco-Romans subjugated by Goths have adopted in the time of that domination the Gothic forms of culture. After the Goths left Dacia, they didnt used more that forms.
How do you know this is what happened? What is the evidence for "Daco-Romans" (whatever that means) in Moldavia in the first place?

Even the pottery forms in Moldavia were the most Roman-like, Moldavia remained the less latinized region.
So you're basically agreeing that a pottery having Roman characteristics has little to no consequences on the language Tongue

Not at all. I allready sayed Dridu was a culture common South and North of Danube, and even more.
It puzzles me how in the same paragraph you disagree and agree with what I say Smile

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jul-2006 at 11:55
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 12:50
You seem to think that there are few options. I must remind you that "if not A then B" type of argument works when we have detailed knowledge, which is not the case for the history of this time and space. There are premises for various ethnical structures to have developed during the first millenium in this space: Celtic, Thracian, Iranian, Germanic, Slavic, Turkic populations, not mentioning the Roman and Byzantine influences and colonizations.

Man,
I see that you mention 'Celtic, Thracian, Iranian, Germanic, Slavic, Turkic populations, not mentioning the Roman and Byzantine influences and colonization'. Why not Dacians? What do you think about Militari-Chilia culture?

Theoreticaly, the population which made Ipotesti culture could be of any origin but analysing the characteristics a normal man could think that is 95% sure is a Dacian romanized or in process of romanization population.

Where have you seen such earthware else in Dacian tradition?

How many original Gepidic accounts do you know? How many original proto-Romanian accounts do you know? How many accounts testifying a proto-Romanian ethnicity do you know?

I have read one or two year ago Procopius's Wars and have not a copy now. I remember about letters addressed by Barbarians to the Emperor. Also the Goths addressed letters in the name of their people. Do you believe that these Goths which in 6th century were still in Italy were not a homogenous ethnic group?

Not much (from what I've read about estabilishing such identities) but he criticized Ipotesti-Candesti culture which he sees as being "invented" by Romanian archaeologists to illustrate the autochtonous life of Romanic populations before the Avaro-Slavic invasion.

Yes, is true that the archaeological aspects of romanic population in Southern Romania are not homogenous but that doesnt mean they belong to some migratory people. The migratory people were abiding in tents I think. And even they have some builded dwellings, they could not make such pottery we see in Ciresanu, Ipotesti or Costisa cultures.

Again, please read the above links (Eugen S. Teodor's thesis) where the argument against the same myth of "autochtonous Romanic" vs "migratory Slavic" is issued.

I think what Teodor says are myths. He may convince only some diletant people, not a serious specialist.

Niculescu's paper warns against this uncritical interdisciplinarity: "There is a high correlation between mixed argumentation (the indiscriminate use of results from other disciplines) and nationalist reconstructions of the past."

I have read what this guy says. Are you somehow Niculescu himself? If yes and even if not (you think exactly like him) get mature and understant that the myths are these new theories which are unscientifical and fancy. Why do you reject from the starting point that the Romanic population could persisted? Why didnt dissapeared in France or Spain? When did Dacians dissapeared and how?

What about language? The non-Balkanic character refers to certain particularities, yet other aspects integrate the Romanian language in a Balkanic speaking space. The distribution of Latin words shows only some directions of propagation, what's exactly the point here?

What language do you think predominated in 6th century teritory of Today Serbia and Northern Bulgaria?

What's this red herring and straw man? We were talking about north-Danubian archaeological cultures and I have now to defend South-North migrations??

The topic is about all the Vlachs, not just the Carpathic ones.

And even so, there would be opportunities for such migrations. Some scholars pointed out that the Avaro-Bulgaro-Slavic invasions/migrations from 5-6th centuries forced a considerable part of the Balkanic populations to move their settlements (not necessarily towards North, but like I said: opportunities).

This is very sure that was a retreat and withdrawal of the population. But that Balkanic population may have been strongly helenized. Do you know about that piece of earthware from Sirmium?:

http://www.muzejsrema.org.yu/slike/arheo/opeka.jpg

Is writen "God, please save Romania" dates from 580 and is in Greek. How such an intim addressing was made in Greek if there was a latin speaking population?

The movement of settlements is also covered in the above links. At a smaller scale, you can check the movement of Dulceanca settlement (as we kept talking about it) or the other considerations on the disapperance/fading of some north-Danubian cultures, which E. S. Teodor sees as a consequence not of extermination but of resettlement, i.e. from earthen/stone steady settlements to temporary settlements (wooden shelters, tents) which are hard to be noticed archaeologically. Of course, this doesn't prove a South-North migration, but it certainly shakes the "steady autochtonous population" myth.

Ofcourse, it were movements of the romanic population. Only few settlements had continuity for several centuries. Like the romanized Dacians which after the withdrawal of the Roman administration, have left their villages and settled in more favorable places (their village places were chosen by Romans for them, after the conquest, different from all other Roman provinces were the autochtonous localities continued after the Roman conquest).

The Roman-like forms of pottery of Costisa had other significaton, I allready sayed.
...I may have missed it, which is their significance?

It's a sign of a population romanized or in process of romanization. It's a conscious adoption of a Roman style of pottery, like the Goths adopted Roman pottery as a sign of their orientation toward Roman civilization. Do we agree?

How do you know this is what happened? What is the evidence for "Daco-Romans" (whatever that means) in Moldavia in the first place?

Is very clear that Goths adopted Dacian and Roman pottery style from Free Dacians, Costobocs and Carpians, who were in process of romanization as early as 2-3rd centuries (the Free Dacians from Muntenia were also in a similar process).

The Carpians are strongly present archaeological and we know, from contemporary documents and from archaeology, that they cohabited with Goths.

About costisa culture, if you'll present the data to a foreign specialist he surely will say is of a romanized Dacian population. I appreciate your efort to demolish the continuity theory as a manifestation of an "objective" Romanian scientist but you falled down in a trap.

So you're basically agreeing that a pottery having Roman characteristics has little to no consequences on the language

Ofcourse. The Goths are another example. But the context shows that Costisa belong the romanized and romanizing Dacians.

It puzzles me how in the same paragraph you disagree and agree with what I say

Where exactly did I disagreed with you?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 14:41

I see that you mention 'Celtic, Thracian, Iranian, Germanic, Slavic, Turkic populations, not mentioning the Roman and Byzantine influences and colonization'. Why not Dacians?
In the same fashion I haven't mentioned "Goths" or "Gepids" but "Germanic", I haven't mentioned "Dacians" but "Thracian". I was listing populations by linguistic affiliation.

What do you think about Militari-Chilia culture?
If you'd have just bothered to read my sources (the thesis on Wallachian pottery, check the "diacronic references") you could have read about it and many other archaeological cultures. You also could have seen what aspects of the Dacian pottery morphology are considered in the later Wallachian and Moldavian cultures and integrating those informations in your knowledge you could have answered my challenges to correlate various cultures. Also you would have realized to what degrees we can identify "Roman" and "Dacian" pottery in these cultures, which was the crux of our debate.

I have read one or two year ago Procopius's Wars and have not a copy now. I remember about letters addressed by Barbarians to the Emperor. Also the Goths addressed letters in the name of their people.
Procopius is not an original Gepidic account. It's a Byzantine perspective. How do you know this perspective is accurate? How do you know to interpret such perspective (you'd have a double - at least - reflection of the identity: through a Gepidic and a Byzantine mentality)? You can't just assert Procopius reliability in every account you consult him for.

Do you believe that these Goths which in 6th century were still in Italy were not a homogenous ethnic group?

In their journey through Balkans, the Goths of Theodoric were joined by other Gothic bands (like the one led by his homonymous Theodoric Strabon). Before his open military conflict with Odoacer he also gathered the remnants of other Germanic populations (like the Rugi). After starting his rule as a king, he gathered in his sphere of influence and also in his armies, Germanic populations from vast areas - the Gepids, the Heruli from Pannonia, the Alamans defeated by Clovis, even warriors descending from Scandinavia. And finally, during his reign there was a continuous duality Germanics - Romans, so undoubtely, the interactions between these two cultures had not a very homogenous result. Also, during the Italian kingdom of the Goths there were two antagonizing factions: pro-Roman and anti-Roman. This was reflected in their values, education, customs, spoken languages, but also social interactions. It's hard to know how deep this separation went (it affected only the aristocracy?) or to draw a clear boundary (what exactly was similar/different), yet these degrees cannot be ignored.

Yes, is true that the archaeological aspects of romanic population in Southern Romania are not homogenous but that doesnt mean they belong to some migratory people. The migratory people were abiding in tents I think. And even they have some builded dwellings, they could not make such pottery we see in Ciresanu, Ipotesti or Costisa cultures.
I've already dealt with this false dichotomy and you seemed to ignore my claims and/or my sources.

I think what Teodor says are myths. He may convince only some diletant people, not a serious specialist.

First, you haven't read his work, though I have linked it above.
Second, he's a serious specialist:
http://www.mnir.ro/publicat/autori/teodor.html
You, on the other hand, are an anonymous, fueled by a nationalistic impulse, whose temple I profaned. Please have some decency and stop this mud-throwing. You don't have to do it.

I have read what this guy says. Are you somehow Niculescu himself?
No. Why do you insist in finding out my identity? You seem unable to argue and you embrace these cheap ad hominem tactics.

If yes and even if not (you think exactly like him) get mature and understant that the myths are these new theories which are unscientifical and fancy.
You realize that you offend me by asking me to get mature? You realize that you have a serious problem when you opposed with no arguments well-written (argumented but also appreciated by other scholars - it's called peer-review in case you'll have something against that!) materials, materials which mostly you haven't read?

Why do you reject from the starting point that the Romanic population could persisted?
But I'm not doing that, I'm questioning your evidence for a Romanic-speaking population starting from pottery. Though you repeatedly admitted that pottery can't prove that, you insist, for no good reasons apparently, on some points.

Why didnt dissapeared in France or Spain?
There are similarities but also huge differences between Roman Gaul and Roman Dacia, also between post-Roman Gaul and post-Roman Dacia. And yet, it actually disappeared partially in France, for instance northern Gaul knew a period of barbarization (Germanization) starting with 3rd century AD.

When did Dacians dissapeared and how?
I do not have a simple answer. Probably they were assimilated during the centuries. Though some authors postulated that Thracian languages were spoken less and less along the entire first millenium AD, I doubt after a "safe date" (let's say somewhere during the 5th or 6th centuries, before the new waves of migrations/invasions) we have any "Dacian" ethnicity, as similarily we don't have any "Sarmatians" or other ancient populations in the neighbouring areas.

What language do you think predominated in 6th century teritory of Today Serbia and Northern Bulgaria?
I have not enough evidence to give a strong-argued answer for this. Many say it was a Eastern Romanic language.
But again, what is your point?

The topic is about all the Vlachs, not just the Carpathic ones.
You seem not to know what a straw man is. The topic may be about Vlachs, my position was not. You shouldn't ask me to defend a South-North while switching from our previous lines of argumentation. If your arguments are over, concede on the points we debated before asking me to debate something else. Or just drop the discussion if you can't handle it.

But that Balkanic population may have been strongly helenized. [...] Is writen "God, please save Romania" dates from 580 and is in Greek. How such an intim addressing was made in Greek if there was a latin speaking population?

Sirmium was a large city, an important key to the Byzantine administration and defence in northern Balkans. This testimony (as you offered it in English) doesn't seem intimate at all, on contrary it reflects the new Byzantine (Imperial, Christian) political values, even may have/reflect a propagandistic/promotion aspect. Read Helene Ahrweiler or Stelian Brezeanu's works on this topic.
One more thing: I'm not a specialist in Byzantine epigraphy, yet this tablet seems to say more than what you've translated. Do you have a proper reading/interpretation of this text?

It's a sign of a population romanized or in process of romanization. It's a conscious adoption of a Roman style of pottery, like the Goths adopted Roman pottery as a sign of their orientation toward Roman civilization. Do we agree?
If you keep the analogy to Goths, yes. If you infer "Daco-Romans" not, unless you can point out some "Gotho-Romans" in the same time and space (north of Danube, earlier than the end of 4th century) Smile

Is very clear that Goths adopted Dacian and Roman pottery style from Free Dacians, Costobocs and Carpians, who were in process of romanization as early as 2-3rd centuries (the Free Dacians from Muntenia were also in a similar process).
It is not very clear, but I'm tired and I can concede on that. Yeah, so?

About costisa culture, if you'll present the data to a foreign specialist he surely will say is of a romanized Dacian population.
Can you provide an analysis on Costisa culture (hint: you can start from the thesis I first linked - check "syncronic refences")?

I appreciate your efort to demolish the continuity theory as a manifestation of an "objective" Romanian scientist but you falled down in a trap.
The only things I attempted to demolish were your erroneous ideas LOL

But the context shows that Costisa belong the romanized and romanizing Dacians.
I disagree. The context shows Costisa-Botosana belongs to some Romanized Aliens crashing their UFO in the sea (hence no archaeological remains) and swimming up the Prut until they found a proper place to land. Being smart, they learned quick and developed a new culture with parallels to various other cultures LOL

Where exactly did I disagreed with you?
Your answer starts with "Not at all." Is this the way you agree? Smile

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jul-2006 at 14:55
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 16:24

In the same fashion I haven't mentioned "Goths" or "Gepids" but "Germanic", I haven't mentioned "Dacians" but "Thracian". I was listing populations by linguistic affiliation.

Why not African or South American?

If you'd have just bothered to read my sources (the thesis on Wallachian pottery, check the "diacronic references") you could have read about it and many other archaeological cultures. You also could have seen what aspects of the Dacian pottery morphology are considered in the later Wallachian and Moldavian cultures and integrating those informations in your knowledge you could have answered my challenges to correlate various cultures. Also you would have realized to what degrees we can identify "Roman" and "Dacian" pottery in these cultures, which was the crux of our debate.

Shortly, do you have an opinion about the ethnicity of the peoples who made Militari-Chilia, Bratei, Ciresanu, Ipotesti and Costisa cultures?

Procopius is not an original Gepidic account. It's a Byzantine perspective. How do you know this perspective is accurate? How do you know to interpret such perspective (you'd have a double - at least - reflection of the identity: through a Gepidic and a Byzantine mentality)? You can't just assert Procopius reliability in every account you consult him for.

I gived Procopius as an example. I'll never read in Romanian or foreign history studies that the ethnicity was not signifiant in Antiquity and early Middle Age, until I've meet the writings of this generation of historians from Romania.

Speaking about Procopius, is impossible he to has an eronated vision because not only he was the official imperial historiographer but participated at most of the events described in the Wars and surely readed the very letters of the Barbarian reprezentatives.

In their journey through Balkans, the Goths of Theodoric were joined by other Gothic bands (like the one led by his homonymous Theodoric Strabon). Before his open military conflict with Odoacer he also gathered the remnants of other Germanic populations (like the Rugi). After starting his rule as a king, he gathered in his sphere of influence and also in his armies, Germanic populations from vast areas - the Gepids, the Heruli from Pannonia, the Alamans defeated by Clovis, even warriors descending from Scandinavia. And finally, during his reign there was a continuous duality Germanics - Romans, so undoubtely, the interactions between these two cultures had not a very homogenous result. Also, during the Italian kingdom of the Goths there were two antagonizing factions: pro-Roman and anti-Roman. This was reflected in their values, education, customs, spoken languages, but also social interactions. It's hard to know how deep this separation went (it affected only the aristocracy?) or to draw a clear boundary (what exactly was similar/different), yet these degrees cannot be ignored.

Do you want say that those named Heruli, for example, were not a distinct ethnic group?

I've already dealt with this false dichotomy and you seemed to ignore my claims and/or my sources.

This is an English forum. You have to write in a manner that everybody to understand the subjects. If you dont have an English text to put here, we should not speak about studies in Romanian language.

About the Slavs, how do you think their migration manifested? Do you believe that they were hundreds of thousands moving as a compact wave, or how?

Second, he's a serious specialist:
http://www.mnir.ro/publicat/autori/teodor.html

Attending a faculty doesnt mean a man is serious. I can give the example of some historians that cannt be called serious at all.

Anyway, let's speak about history, not about emploiees of institutions.

You, on the other hand, are an anonymous, fueled by a nationalistic impulse, whose temple I profaned. Please have some decency and stop this mud-throwing. You don't have to do it.

You too are anonimous and are acusing Romanian historians of lack of objectivity.

I think you are wrong, the Romanian historians are not lacking objectivity. Also I think that the future belong to the Continuity theory. When the archaeological, linguistic and documentary evidences will be studied by larger groups of specialists, the Continuity theory will win.

The Boia syndrom (Boia is a historian from Romania who want to demolish something) is a manifestation of superficial understanding and prejudice.

But I'm not doing that, I'm questioning your evidence for a Romanic-speaking population starting from pottery. Though you repeatedly admitted that pottery can't prove that, you insist, for no good reasons apparently, on some points.

I didnt afirmed that the character of pottery attest a Romanic population by itself. Some human groups made these cultures and the belonging to the autochtnous romanized Dacians is the best explanation in a larger context. Curta himself (or Teodor) says that Ipotesti culture is very different from other achaeological cultures of the epoch. Not any migratory people could create such a culture and their character, their delicacy (the hand made pottery) and their forms could not be atributed to others than romanized Dacians.

So, to demolish the continuity theory you have to:
-make vanished the romanized Dacians and the Free Dacians
-make Goths adopt Dacian elements of expression by a magic method
-call some enigmatic populations with Dacian expression in pottery in 5-7th centuries
-make Slavs or other groups in Moldavia (including Bassarabia) have a signifiant demographic extensions in the last century of the first millenium
-make rests of Avars or Slavs have Roman-like pottery in 7-11th century Crisana
-dehelenize the population in Balkans and give them some lessons of Classical Latin to can reach the character of today Romanian.

Actualy I dont know when you think that the migration of the Southern romanic people took place so I will not refer to later periods.

Probably they were assimilated during the centuries. Though some authors postulated that Thracian languages were spoken less and less along the entire first millenium AD, I doubt after a "safe date" (let's say somewhere during the 5th or 6th centuries, before the new waves of migrations/invasions) we have any "Dacian" ethnicity, as similarily we don't have any "Sarmatians" or other ancient populations in the neighbouring areas.

Do you have an idea about the demographic proportion between Dacians (and their descendants) and migratory groups? If you have not any source, why did you adopted the idea that Dacians were asimilated?

I have not enough evidence to give a strong-argued answer for this. Many say it was a Eastern Romanic language.
But again, what is your point?

The fact that all the inscriptions are in Greek is an indication that the helenization was strong. Is hard to believe that the Greek was used in such extension and the population remained Latin.

Sirmium was a large city, an important key to the Byzantine administration and defence in northern Balkans. This testimony (as you offered it in English) doesn't seem intimate at all, on contrary it reflects the new Byzantine (Imperial, Christian) political values, even may have/reflect a propagandistic/promotion aspect. Read Helene Ahrweiler or Stelian Brezeanu's works on this topic.
One more thing: I'm not a specialist in Byzantine epigraphy, yet this tablet seems to say more than what you've translated. Do you have a proper reading/interpretation of this text?

I have not. I'm not a history specialist, just a passionated guy.

Anyway, do you think that an official man, a Greek speaking, have written an official text on a piece of earthware?

If you keep the analogy to Goths, yes. If you infer "Daco-Romans" not, unless you can point out some "Gotho-Romans" in the same time and space (north of Danube, earlier than the end of 4th century)

But what about the Dacian character of Santana de Mures culture? You have to adopt also the Gotho-Dacian formula.

It is not very clear, but I'm tired and I can concede on that. Yeah, so?

So, if the Dacians were the originators of the Santana de Mures culture that mean they were a vigurous people and culture. this corelate good with the Dacian character of the following cultures.

Can you provide an analysis on Costisa culture (hint: you can start from the thesis I first linked - check "syncronic refences")?

Sorry but I think my eyes are a better teacher. Costisa is clearly a culture of a sedentary people and the Roman character of their pottery is surprising. Do you agree?

The only things I attempted to demolish were your erroneous ideas

Even this demolishing atitude should be in indication for you that you are not proceding correct. Offer some better explanations and variants, not just contest the theory of continuity. Why are you contesting this theory?

I disagree. The context shows Costisa-Botosana belongs to some Romanized Aliens crashing their UFO in the sea (hence no archaeological remains) and swimming up the Prut until they found a proper place to land. Being smart, they learned quick and developed a new culture with parallels to various other cultures

Edited by Menumorut - 17-Jul-2006 at 16:36

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 18:09

Why not African or South American?
I will leave to you this important question as exercise. LOL

Shortly, do you have an opinion about the ethnicity of the peoples who made Militari-Chilia, Bratei, Ciresanu, Ipotesti and Costisa cultures?
Due to your displayed obtusity at this moment I prefer not to share my opinions. You seem unwilling to accept a scholarly opinion, why would I further deepen these subjects with you?

I gived Procopius as an example. I'll never read in Romanian or foreign history studies that the ethnicity was not signifiant in Antiquity and early Middle Age, until I've meet the writings of this generation of historians from Romania.
You're failing to catch up with this discussion. I already told you I'm not questioning the significance of the ethnicity but the evidences brought for it.
And if you haven't heard about several things is caused by your lack of education. I provided some links above (Curta's) where you'll find a number of scholars arguing about what ethnicity is and how can it be studied. It's not a fashion in Romanian historiography, well, perhaps only now they opened their eyes to it. Maybe you should, too Wink

Speaking about Procopius, is impossible he to has an eronated vision because not only he was the official imperial historiographer but participated at most of the events described in the Wars and surely readed the very letters of the Barbarian reprezentatives.
Confused Please read some scholarship on Procopius. Start with Wilhelm Ensslin.

Do you want say that those named Heruli, for example, were not a distinct ethnic group?
No, I was saying that Italian Goths also encompassed some Herulic elements.

This is an English forum. You have to write in a manner that everybody to understand the subjects.
Like already specified, I posted no Romanian text in this thread without an English translation/adaptation, so your objection is nulled.

If you dont have an English text to put here, we should not speak about studies in Romanian language.
You're wrong. There are lots of history materials not translated in English. There's nothing in this forum rules that stops me discussing it as long as I present the issue in English.
You also seem to forget that you also posted some links to materials in Romanian. LOL
Originally posted by Menumorut, earlier

I have only a Romanian page for that, maybe you could make an impression

Do you have anything more to say on this topic or you're just adding straws on the fire?

About the Slavs, how do you think their migration manifested? Do you believe that they were hundreds of thousands moving as a compact wave, or how?
See above. You showed a great deal of disrespect towards my arguments so far, why would I bring more? You're obviously not interested in my opinions but to promote your dogmatic view against anything that contradicts it. As we fail to have a discussion, why would I bother, right? Now I'm merely trying to correct some of your flawed views, as long as they refer to points I participated to.

Attending a faculty doesnt mean a man is serious. I can give the example of some historians that cannt be called serious at all.
I noticed several occasions where you failed to read (or at least to write here what you have read and understood). In that specific link you may notice (or if you don't I'll just tell you) he's "specializat n ceramistică" i.e. a "pottery scholar".
Also a having a doctorate is much more than attending an university.

Anyway, let's speak about history, not about emploiees of institutions.
You're the one bringing this issue on and on. Also I sense some hypocrisy in this stimulus, as several paragraphs below you rant about a "Boia syndrome". In other words, if you want to give someone an advice, try to follow it yourself Wink

You too are anonimous and are acusing Romanian historians of lack of objectivity.
I am not accusing anyone of anything (well, maybe you, as you disrupted this discussion with some of your interventions), I provided materials from scholars who do. I can understand their arguments and support/oppose them (the arguments).

I think you are wrong, the Romanian historians are not lacking objectivity. Also I think that the future belong to the Continuity theory. When the archaeological, linguistic and documentary evidences will be studied by larger groups of specialists, the Continuity theory will win.
LOL LOL (emphasis mine)

The Boia syndrom (Boia is a historian from Romania who want to demolish something) is a manifestation of superficial understanding and prejudice.
You're just in denial. Anything that treads on your sacred values is loaded with derogatory epithets.
After you trashed E. S. Teodor and G. A. Niculescu, now you pick on Lucian Boia. I wonder who's next Embarrassed

I didnt afirmed that the character of pottery attest a Romanic population by itself. Some human groups made these cultures and the belonging to the autochtnous romanized Dacians is the best explanation in a larger context. Curta himself (or Teodor) says that Ipotesti culture is very different from other achaeological cultures of the epoch. Not any migratory people could create such a culture and their character, their delicacy (the hand made pottery) and their forms could not be atributed to others than romanized Dacians.
I don't see what can be discussed with you. You're merely repeating the same things without providing any relevant argument (unless you call "delicacy" an argument LOL).

So, to demolish the continuity theory you have to:
[...]
Actualy I dont know when you think that the migration of the Southern romanic people took place so I will not refer to later periods.
Straw man. I'm unwilling to follow.

Do you have an idea about the demographic proportion between Dacians (and their descendants) and migratory groups? If you have not any source, why did you adopted the idea that Dacians were asimilated?
Because all the evidences point to that? Their material culture becomes less and less represented, their language disappeared, etc.?

The fact that all the inscriptions are in Greek is an indication that the helenization was strong. Is hard to believe that the Greek was used in such extension and the population remained Latin.
You barely provided one inscription, what are you talking about? 
Hellenization probably resumed to cities. It is assumed that also many indigenous language survived in the early Byzantine period (as some Thracian dialects in the Balkans). There are accounts of people not knowing Greek, there are certain cases which illustrate along Greek also other spoken languages in the early Byzantine Empire as Latin, Syriac, Coptic.

I have not. I'm not a history specialist, just a passionated guy.
I could tell you're not a history specialist LOL However, if you can't provide a source/justification, how do you know that translation is correct?  Wink If you can't provide a source/justification how can you use it as an argument? Shocked

Anyway, do you think that an official man, a Greek speaking, have written an official text on a piece of earthware?
What official text? Shocked

But what about the Dacian character of Santana de Mures culture? You have to adopt also the Gotho-Dacian formula.
You already mentioned cohabitation between Goths and Dacians and we all know about their neighbouring/shared habitats and conjugated raids in the 3rd century. However, the point was about the parallels between "Gothic Romanization" and "Dacian Romanization" north of Danube.

Sorry but I think my eyes are a better teacher.
I don't. Why don't you write in AE Tavern? I thought here we're discussing serious stuff.

Costisa is clearly a culture of a sedentary people and the Roman character of their pottery is surprising. Do you agree?
Not entirely. Only the prejudiced ones can be surprised LOL

Even this demolishing atitude should be in indication for you that you are not proceding correct. Offer some better explanations and variants, not just contest the theory of continuity. Why are you contesting this theory?
Another straw man.

I guess there's nothing left to discuss ... (I'm not really expecting answers on the last questions)
Have fun!

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jul-2006 at 18:16
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 20:18
I provided some links above (Curta's) where you'll find a number of scholars arguing about what ethnicity is and how can it be studied. It's not a fashion in Romanian historiography, well, perhaps only now they opened their

Not any new perspective is good. I agree that the ancients were understanding ethnicity different from how we understand it but I see that these guys are not conscious that they could also be wrong.

Please read some scholarship on Procopius. Start with Wilhelm Ensslin.

If you got some ideas from Ensslin, why dont you put here that ideas?

No, I was saying that Italian Goths also encompassed some Herulic elements.

What means "Herulic" to you?

There's nothing in this forum rules that stops me discussing it as long as I present the issue in English.
You also seem to forget that you also posted some links to materials in Romanian.

That page reccomended was containing evocatory images.

See above. You showed a great deal of disrespect towards my arguments so far, why would I bring more? You're obviously not interested in my opinions but to promote your dogmatic view against anything that contradicts it. As we fail to have a discussion, why would I bother, right? Now I'm merely trying to correct some of your flawed views, as long as they refer to points I participated to.

When you send me to some books or opinions, I think this is not a dialogue. You have to present ideas, not authors.

I noticed several occasions where you failed to read (or at least to write here what you have read and understood). In that specific link you may notice (or if you don't I'll just tell you) he's "specializat n ceramistică" i.e. a "pottery scholar".
Also a having a doctorate is much more than attending an university.

On one hand, I have a great respect and even love for Romanian archaeologists who hardly work for bringing to light the secrets of the past hidden in earth.

On another hand, I worked 8 years in an important university and I know exactly how a doctorate is obtained, so such titles leave me cold.

You seem to accord too much importance to the personality of some employee, in place to analyse their ideas with your mind.

You're the one bringing this issue on and on. Also I sense some hypocrisy in this stimulus, as several paragraphs below you rant about a "Boia syndrome". In other words, if you want to give someone an advice, try to follow it yourself

What issue?

Boya syndrome is born from an excess of deviant morality, if the guys are realy Romanian. They (Niculescu & co) are conmvinced that they have to demolish the 'nationalistic-communist historiography' and waste their time with such philosophic debates in place of practicing the profession of historian or arhcaeologist.

I am not accusing anyone of anything (well, maybe you, as you disrupted this discussion with some of your interventions), I provided materials from scholars who do. I can understand their arguments and support/oppose them (the arguments).

I think is good. Better will be to not stop at any theory which appears to you. Check several time any idea.

You're just in denial. Anything that treads on your sacred values is loaded with derogatory epithets.
After you trashed E. S. Teodor and G. A. Niculescu, now you pick on Lucian Boia. I wonder who's next

This orientation for demolishing something is in the same time a psychose and an anti-scientific atitude.

How could you contest an idea without putting something in place?

What foreigner historian do you see to proceed like that, excepting some politic infested scholars?

Dont you see that they start with the idea of migration, they are not comparing the posibilities?

I don't see what can be discussed with you. You're merely repeating the same things without providing any relevant argument (unless you call "delicacy" an argument LOL).

I brought some interpretation about the material cultures. You sent me to some authors and sayed that I'm not prepared to hear your theory. And now you say it cannt be dialogued with me.

Because all the evidences point to that? Their material culture becomes less and less represented, their language disappeared, etc.?

So, you dont believe that a people could change the character of their material culture and their language?

You barely provided one inscription, what are you talking about?

Search Epigraphical Database,

Hellenization probably resumed to cities. It is assumed that also many indigenous language survived in the early Byzantine period (as some Thracian dialects in the Balkans). There are accounts of people not knowing Greek, there are certain cases which illustrate along Greek also other spoken languages in the early Byzantine Empire as Latin, Syriac, Coptic.

The Thracian dialects preserved in Byzantine empire could be the Dacian dialect of Carps.

Cannt be compared the situation in Egypt, where the aotochtonous were permanently in the presence of the impressive architectural and artistic heritage of their past with the situation in Balkans. Also in Syria. By the way, the nationalism in these revolted provinces is a sign about the importance of ethnic affiliation in late antiquity.

I'm wondering what languages were spoken in 6th century in Sirmium and its region...

However, if you can't provide a source/justification, how do you know that translation is correct?

From another forum, from a guy who presented this object. And he has a similar position with you, the named Diogene. I invite you on that forum:
Softpedia Forum: Originea Romnilor

What official text?

You sayed that that crock is a reflection of the Imperial political values:

This testimony (as you offered it in English) doesn't seem intimate at all, on contrary it reflects the new Byzantine (Imperial, Christian) political values, even may have/reflect a propagandistic/promotion aspect.

You already mentioned cohabitation between Goths and Dacians and we all know about their neighbouring/shared habitats and conjugated raids in the 3rd century. However, the point was about the parallels between "Gothic Romanization" and "Dacian Romanization" north of Danube.

The cultural borrow is earlier than the cohabitation with the Carps. I've read is from period when Goths have been settled more Northern and were having contacts with the Costobocs.

The fact that Goths adopted Dacian forms of earthware can be explained only in this manner: the Goths, like other Barbarians from the late period of the Classical Roman Empire, were strongly oriented for adopting Roman elements of culture and civilization. The character of Pietroasele treasure, their claim to be federates of the Empire are proves of that. They wished to adopt the Roman way of life so they used pottery (and probably other wares) of Roman style. The fact that they adopted too Dacian elements of expression can be due to their confussion between Romans and Dacians. A part of the Dacians were romanized and Roman citizens and they used Dacian style wares in 2-3rd centuries, so the Goths believed that these forms are Roman and adopted them. What you think?

Sorry but I think my eyes are a better teacher.
I don't. Why don't you write in AE Tavern? I thought here we're discussing serious stuff.

The manner of sending me to a book in place of presenting ideas is a serious behaviour?

Not entirely. Only the prejudiced ones can be surprisedLOL

Is this an argument? I put again the image with some Costisa pottery:

I guess there's nothing left to discuss ... (I'm not really expecting answers on the last questions)
Have fun!

You too.

Edited by Menumorut - 17-Jul-2006 at 20:21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>