Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scottish Celts or Gaul Celts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scottish Celts or Gaul Celts?
    Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 02:16
Hey, I'm new to this forum. I'm not a history pro but I enjoy reading about ancient stuff and enjoy learning about ancient warfare, mythologies, etc

One thing that I never fully understood was the use of the word Celt. Sometimes, I see it refferring to Scotsmen such as William Wallace while in other occasions I see it refferring to Gaule like in Vercingtorix's case. From what I've seen, Scots ( atleast from the Medieval period ) were quite different from Gallic tribes, with their druids and everything.

Did the Gallic tribes move to Scotsland at some point, or are they even related?

Thanks
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 03:57

Celt is a really controversial world. People use it to mean alot of different things, which aren't really related.

In its proper, academic sense, Celtic refers to a culture distinguished by material artifacts, social custom, religion, and language - but not by race. It originates in central Europe and the culture spreads outward across Europe, reaching populations on the Atlantic through diffusion rather than migration.

Some people use it to refer to the Gaelic (etc) speaking inhabitants of the British Isles, since they retained Celtic culture and languages the longest. Scotland, Wales, Ireland, as well as regions like Cornwall and the Isle of Man, are often referred to as the "Celtic fringe". Some people get up in arms about this, but it's accurate enough if you look at things from a linguistic point of view. There's not really a good word: the Welsh, Manx and Cornish aren't Gaelic, and if you called them "Britons" you'd probably upset the English. Whatever the case may be, a large proportion of the inhabitants of those areas have ancestors who were there long before Celtic culture existed, and unlike other parts of the islands, were not as signifigantly impacted by things like the arrival of the Saxons.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the influence of Celtic culture was limited in alot of these areas; only about a quarter of the sites from Ireland during that period show any trace of the culture.

"Gaul" and "Gael" are two different things. Gaul comes from Latin Gallus, Gael comes from Gaelic Gidheal or Gaedheal. The Gauls were a culture in France during the Celtic period. The Gaels are a group out of Ireland, some of whom migrated to Scotland (the Scoti), beginning in Roman times, and replaced the Picts.

Druids are originally from the British Isles, probably England, but there might have been something similar among the Picts in Scotland and there were certainly druids among some of the Irish groups (possibly including the Scoti). Some people think that the druids were a Celtic imitation of an earlier religion among the pre-Celtic cultures of the British Isles (the same cultures that built the stone circles). Whatever the case, druids spread to northern France and Belgium.

I don't think the Gauls ever went to Scotland, at least not in numbers, but there was considerable cross-channel traffic between northern France / Belgium and southern England. Some of the Britons, particularly in the southeast, were related to Continental populations.

Edited by edgewaters - 16-Jun-2006 at 04:10
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 21:55
I was about to ask a question about whether the Gauls that Caesar conquered were Celtic or not.  It seems that Roman sources have described them as a Celtic peoples, and yet they seem to have already become distinct from the Britons and Hibernians (Irish).  Unfortunately, it seems that only scattered archaeological records can be found, since the Gauls didn't have any written literature to speak of prior to their being Romanized and were likely discouraged from preserving their ancient traditions once conquered.  We may never know what their stories were or what language they used, much like many of the other peoples that Rome had conquered in its imperial phase.

"Roman had conquered?"  No, that wasn't right.  Need shuteye.

Edited by YusakuJon3 - 16-Jun-2006 at 22:00
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 00:52

Originally posted by YusakuJon3

I was about to ask a question about whether the Gauls that Caesar
conquered were Celtic or not. It seems that Roman sources have
described them as a Celtic peoples, and yet they seem to have already
become distinct from the Britons and Hibernians (Irish).

They were different. No Roman account describes the Britons as "Celtic", though Caesar mentions that parts of southeast England had been colonized by the Belgae (in the area of the Netherlands) - Belgae were considered half-Celtic, half-Germanic.

It's actually the other way around than you're thinking. The word Celt comes from the Romans and they originally used it to describe tribes from the Alps who moved into the Po Valley. Afterwards they used it to describe the common culture of the groups found from Austria to France to Spain. Presumably, the Romans were in a position to say what a Celt was, having had so much contact (in war, in trade, in diplomacy) with the Celtic cultures. They seemed to feel the Britons were a different culture, just as they described the Germanics as a different culture. So, the Gauls, Cisalpine Gauls, Transalpine Gauls, Celtiberians etc are the "real" Celts; if anything, it is the Britons who were not Celtic but some sort of synthesis of Celtic culture and something else, some sort of earlier native Atlantic culture (the one which constructed the stone circles).

We may never know what their stories were or what language they used, much like many of the other peoples that Rome had conquered in its imperial phase.

Gaelic is still spoken in Scotland and Ireland, Manx is alive too, and even the Welsh language - probably very very similar to that of the Britons in England - is still around. Their stories will likely remain a mystery, as will such things as the nature of the druidic religion. However, some fragments of rural folk-tales in various parts of England, particularly those associated with specific places or landmarks, probably have some traces of ancient pre-Roman mythology in them (particularly in areas which were less displaced by Saxon and Norse culture, eg, Wales, Cornwall, the south and west of Ireland, etc).

Edited by edgewaters - 17-Jun-2006 at 00:57
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 08:05
    What could you say about the Galatians in Minor Asia?

Edited by Menumorut - 17-Jun-2006 at 08:06

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 10:41

Originally posted by Menumorut

Mercenary, tribal central Europeans with a long tradition of employment by Greeks and many of the Hellenistic cultures (even Egypt, apparently).

A massive horde of them erupted into Greece in 279 BC. The main body, under the leadership of Brennus, ravaged Macedonia, smashed the defenses at Thermopylae, and partially sacked Delphi before being forced to withdraw (sacking Epirus on their way out). A smaller group, 20 000 strong, under the leadership of Leonnorius, broke away in Macedonia and made to sack Thrace, then crossed to Byzantium and sieged it (forcing them to pay tribute). All of these groups were either defeated, or hired as mercenaries - every Hellenistic army for some decades afterwards featured huge numbers of Celtic mercenaries, including Pyrrhus's forces. The group that sieged Byzantium was hired by Nicomedus of Bithynia (in Turkey) to fight in his wars against various rivals, which worked well and secured his reign and kingdom - so they were awarded land in central Anatolia. Which turned out to be a bad idea because once they were established they sacked Bithynia and a few other neighbouring states, inflicting a reign of terror on the area. City-states far and wide were forced to pay tribute, until Attalus came to the throne of Pergamum and refused to pay. The Galatians launched a large expedition against Pergamum, but were turned back after a number of defeats - Attalus had forged a confederation of numerous city-states to repulse them, and defeated them so severely they were contained for a time. While Attalus lived, the raids stopped.

After Attalus died in 197 BC, they began the raids again, but by this time Rome was a major power and it had made an alliance with Pergamum. The Galatians harassed Roman forces until a major expedition under Manlius Vulso invaded Galatia and shattered their armies. They eventually became a province, and were apparently very loyal to the Romans thereafter, but were not an important province in the empire. They remained a province through the Byzantinian era, until they were conquered and absorbed by Seljuk Turks in the 11th century. By this time, however, they were not a distinct population; they didn't speak a Celtic tongue anymore and were fully assimilated by Greco-Roman culture.

Edited by edgewaters - 17-Jun-2006 at 11:07
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 18:30
Originally posted by Menumorut

Thracians were a Hellenic people numbering about 2 million. In the 3rd century bce several thousand Gauls migrated into Thracia and were even slightly Hellenised by them.

A few years later a small number of Gauls and Thracians, around 10 thousand migrated to Anatolia and were themselves absorbed by the local population who were Hellenised already. It was so early in the Gauls Hellenisation that they retained many Gallic trappings, the Galatian culture that flourished from these unions while was a Hellenic one retained many old Gallic customs, which the Romans noted. 

Edited by Paul - 17-Jun-2006 at 18:44
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 18:45
Originally posted by edgewaters

Gaelic is still spoken in Scotland and Ireland, Manx is alive too, and even the Welsh language - probably very very similar to that of the Britons in England - is still around. Their stories will likely remain a mystery, as will such things as the nature of the druidic religion. However, some fragments of rural folk-tales in various parts of England, particularly those associated with specific places or landmarks, probably have some traces of ancient pre-Roman mythology in them (particularly in areas which were less displaced by Saxon and Norse culture, eg, Wales, Cornwall, the south and west of Ireland, etc).

Cornish is still spoken too, large parts of the language have been  lost but some remains, my emmet friend.

Personally as I see it there were no Celts only various groups that are called Celts with varying descriptions of what a "Celt" is.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 07:05
That was an interesting series of responses.  So what the Romans called "Celtic" were actually people distinct from each other?  And yet, some of the histories that I've read speak of a Celtic civilization which emerged from just north of the Alps and east of the Rhine to displace and/or absorb older prehistoric cultures in the west and across the channels in England and Ireland.  Perhaps they were just beginning to diverge into separate national or cultural traditions by the time Caesar began his conquests?  That does happen over time when a people of common language and traditions expands over a vast area.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 09:05

Originally posted by YusakuJon3

That was an interesting series of responses. So what the Romans
called "Celtic" were actually people distinct from each other?

Hmmm ... not exactly ... they were all very similar, culturally - wore the same clothes, had the same technology, lived the same way, spoke very similar languages. They just weren't related much, genetically speaking. Although the Britons were apparently quite distinct, with their druids and blue woad tatooing, but in many respects very similar.

And yet, some of the histories that I've read speak of a Celtic civilization which emerged from just north of the Alps and east of the Rhine to displace and/or absorb older prehistoric cultures in the west
and across the channels in England and Ireland.

Right, the culture did; there just wasn't much movement of peoples as a rule. Think of it like the spreading of American culture, people in China eat cheeseburgers and wear jeans and listen to pop music, but not because the Americans migrated en masse and displaced the people living there.

Edited by edgewaters - 21-Jun-2006 at 09:05
likepo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote likepo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 18:47
Dear Edgewaters

I would really like to communicate with you.  Many questions about pre-historical "British Isles"  I have written and am writing dissertations incorporating such pre-historic study, but my own book on this is my passion.  I have "Welch" heritage, which seems mysteriously, connected to French.....but that's not the issue.

You seem to know your pre-historic "isles of man" stuff.

If forum does not seem to be right place to trade the info, then let me know and I can give you private email.

If seems to be of general interest, that's fine too

Very piqued
likepo aka Judith (artemis-inspired)
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 23:34
Originally posted by edgewaters

There's not really a good word: the Welsh, Manx and Cornish aren't Gaelic, and if you called them "Britons" you'd probably upset the English.
Well it would be true for the Welsh. I honestly haven't read much on the others, but from what I have read the Britons escaped the large Saxon invason and fled to modern day Wales. Those who didn't from what I understand were mostly killed or enslaved. The Saxons weren't about converting people.
Though if I am incorrect, please correct me, this area isn't my strong point, just read that from Roman history up to that point.

I did study alittle about the Druids, and from my understanding they were in Gual. They did share alot of deities back and forth between Gual and the British isles and those who would tell the tales, be the judges, and keep the histories of those in the Celtic culture were the Druids. They just caused a bigger problem in the British Isles hopping to settlement to settlement causing uprisings and enemies when the Romans arrived. This made a new policy for the Romans, they wanted to Romanize the people, they need to stop they threats so they targetted and killed all Druids. This intern destroyed the history of alot of tribes and in doing so made them easier to conquer and hold. Though I'm not sure why the Picts were so hard to defeat for the Romans.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 23:51
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I did study alittle about the Druids, and from my understanding they were in Gual. They did share alot of deities back and forth between Gual and the British isles and those who would tell the tales, be the judges, and keep the histories of those in the Celtic culture were the Druids. They just caused a bigger problem in the British Isles hopping to settlement to settlement causing uprisings and enemies when the Romans arrived. This made a new policy for the Romans, they wanted to Romanize the people, they need to stop they threats so they targetted and killed all Druids. This intern destroyed the history of alot of tribes and in doing so made them easier to conquer and hold. Though I'm not sure why the Picts were so hard to defeat for the Romans.

Absolutely, the druids were spreading into Gaul across the Channel - they even established several important sites there, I can't remember the name of it (though I could find it if you're interested) but one site was supposedly used for congregations of druids from all over the British isles and northern Gaul. According to the Romans the druids weren't just a religion, they seemed to have fulfilled certain executive, judicial, and legislative powers, not to mention some sort of academic role as historians (oral historians, but still). I think their threat to Rome was very real - they were organized across a broad area, something that the Romans knew could mean trouble.

They weren't, however, present in most Celtic cultures - they don't seem to have been present among Celtiberians, Cisalpine Gauls, etc.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 00:14
I haven't read much on the Celtic Iberians. But speaking of them, I read a few years back that the Irish actually came from the Northern Iberian peninsula, where the Celtic Iberians were. Do you know or heard anything about this? I always assumed people would have just migrated across the English channel, across the Island and then into Ireland.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 03:06
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I haven't read much on the Celtic Iberians. But speaking of them, I read a few years back that the Irish actually came from the Northern Iberian peninsula, where the Celtic Iberians were. Do you know or heard anything about this? I always assumed people would have just migrated across the English channel, across the Island and then into Ireland.

You're probably referring to the myths contained in the medieval Book of Invasions, which state that the present inhabitants of Ireland - the Milesians - arrived from Spain, displacing the Tuatha de Danaan (an earlier group who had also invaded).

Also, the pre-Celtic culture of the British Isles is presently understood to be Iberian, but their original arrival is in the distant past, ie after the ice retreated. They may have shared contact via trading routes - there are a few unique and very similar motifs in their mythology. But if so, this contact would have been between non-Celtic cultures. The La Tene and Hallstatt ("Celtic") cultures spread to both places in a direct line from their points of origin in central Europe.

Edited by edgewaters - 26-Jun-2006 at 03:07
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 12:02
I see, thanks for the information.
Polish Rob View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Polish Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 08:23
One thing is for sure, Celtic's originated from the steppe lands of Asia, and migrated westward. 
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 09:19
Originally posted by Polish Rob

One thing is for sure, Celtic's originated from the steppe lands of Asia, and migrated westward.

Hmm, not really. The origins of the culture are in Switzerland/Austria and along the Danube. Krakow seems to have been the eastern limit of Celtic culture, with the exception of a movement out of Europe into Asia Minor (Galatia). However, they certainly were affected by technology and culture spreading out from the steppes, including language. Also, note that the spread of Celtic culture was usually independant of any movement of peoples.

Edited by edgewaters - 27-Jun-2006 at 09:26
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 09:26
Well, the Gaelic myth of their origins says that they went from Scythia, through Egypt, through North Africa, through Iberia, and then invaded the indeginous Irish. However, this is just a myth.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 06:32
Actually there is a celtic race. Haplotype shows that the Connacht haplotype associated with the celtic people occurs more frequently in areas that are historically considered as celt. THe Gallic language and those of the British islands were in variants of a celtic language.

Yes the picts and the Gauls are related. While the Gauls were not related to the Germanic. And the Belgae (of Northern France and Belgium) were pure Celts, saying they were bastadized is an ignomy and preversion of history by the anglo-saxon and germanists. All their leaders had Gallic names and had traditions very like the other Gauls.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 29-Jun-2006 at 06:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>