Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hearts of Iron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hearts of Iron
    Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 14:00

I did something very cool while I was playing the World War II RTS Hearts of Iron.

I wanted to try and do what Stalin was planning to do in World War II, just sit back, and attack when everyone had exhausted themselves.

First off, when I took power I ordered all provinces to increase their industrial capacity, and did that a few times aftewards as well, and I built 24 infantry divisions to create a large strategic reserve.

After that, I focused on land and air force technologies, giving them up to 3/4 of my budget.

I did this up until 1944.  In the meantime I annexed Finland after totally defeating them in the Winter War, and I signed the non-aggression pact with Germany.  I didn't annex the Baltic States until 1942 though.

In 1943 the Germans were almost on the verge of victory in France with the help of their allies Slovakia, Italy, and Nationalist Spain. 

I finished up all my technology research projects going on at the time and then built another 24 division.  I now had several 12-division army groups.  Most were of infantry with some tanks, and two were totally mechanized/motorized/armoured.  I also built a very large modern air force.

I moved my armies close to Poland and then declared war on Germany.  My troops did very well, advancing for about 2 months, coming right to the gates of Berlin.  10 divisions under Marshall Konev took Berlin for a while but were encircled.  I decided to reinforce my attrited units and then let them sit for about a month as their organization came up.  I also got about 24 infantry divisions completed in that time. 

I then renewed the offensive, taking and holding Berlin, after which I sent about 12 division into Germany. 

However, a large pocket of Germans still existed in southern Poland and Czechoslovakia, but I managed to defeat them later.

I also staged a coup in Denmark and made them join the Comintern.

I was able to annex Germany, and then I very easily took over Italy, making them a puppet, and then I advanced into northern Spain where my troops hooked up with American troops.

After that I upgraded divisions and air squadrons and built some ships for fun, but basically just consolidated my position and waited till 1948 when the Comintern won the game.

Member of IAEA
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 14:44
I havn't played the game, but am deffinitly gonna get the second one when it comes out.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 15:10
That game definately looks interesting.

but am deffinitly gonna get the second one when it comes out.

ah, the cheaper version I presume?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 15:19
Cheaper version? How so?

They announced HoI II a while back, not sure when its set to come out, but they already have a forum dedicated to it at Paradox forums.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 15:26
Cheaper version? How so?

About 2 or 3 years after a game is realeased fist time, it's often sold again for a lower price.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 15:32
Oh, as a 'classic'
I buy lots of my games that way, but no, i'll get this one soon after it comes out, though with paradox, it does pay to wait, as well as getting it cheaper, there'll be lots of nifty mods and scenarios to spiff the gameply up a little
Arrrgh!!"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 17:51

God I love HOI, but I am kinda burned out on it. You can only be the USSR, Germany and Vichy France , so many times. It totally sucks as the US, unless you coup the gov't but I always feel like the game is so short.

What I really hate is that the allies always declare war on the axis even if the axis has been playing nice.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 19:24
There have been some Intresting AARs for HoI at teh Paradox forums.
I especialy liked the 'Battleships for Bhutan one'
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 19:56
I yet have had enough time to set aside fro my victory of imperial japan game
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 07:49
Originally posted by JanusRook

God I love HOI, but I am kinda burned out on it. You can only be the USSR, Germany and Vichy France , so many times.

You can be Vichy France? Sweet?

How many countries are there in the game?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 17:23
I don't have an exact count but in keeping with paradox's? strategy firsts? (I get them confused) tradition set by Europa Universalis, you can play as every nation in the game.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 20:04
I love that , I always play as the wierdos like Benin in Europa and suff
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 13:53
I've played a game as Nazi Germany and I've come to a standstill.  Basically all of Eurasia is mine, I even annexed the USSR, but now Canada and America are still fighting me.  The worst part is, I have no manpower left and so I can't build more units to fight them, and I really need a bigger navy and airforce.  I do have nuclear weapons though, but it's still a pain.
Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 21:10

Okay, don't worry people. I've won.  All I did was conquer all of South and Central America and then I invaded America from the south.  I also dropped 3 nukes on them to destroy about 30 divisions.  After that I used paratroopers to take the remaining islands like Attu and Hawaii.  Then I took over the remaining nations that weren't members of the axis (like Saudi Arabia, Nepal, etc.) by 1945.  Because only the Axis powers existed any longer, the game ended with the Axis powers have 1047 points, and everyone else having 0. 

Thus, I basically conquered the world.

Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply