Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racism towards Gypsies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racism towards Gypsies
    Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 11:52
    The "Egyptian" nick was gived them because they pretended that are Egyptian Lords in 15th century when started to travell in Western Europe.

The ethnonime "Roma" have no connection with the city; in their language means man.

The gipsies from Western Europe were also called vlachs or roumans because most of them spreaded from the teritory of the Wallachian (Romanian) principates (where they arrived in 14th century).

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 07:00
What happened to them finally ?
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 23:46
Very interesting. There are often articles in Radio Prague about gypsies and I have found it interesting that racism is probably a bigger problem for some European countries than it is for the USA!
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 01:17
Surely there is more of racism in europe than US. Intersting fact is that the original gypsies in india have intermingled with the loals so much that now they are undistinguishable.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 20:02
True Vivek, as long as your parents or grandparents didnt come from Europe (mine did). Racism tends to be learned.

When i was kid i was always told about the "evil" gypsies and how they would come into the villages and steal chickens, clothes, cattle, and babies. Not sure how true this is, but for awhile i must admit i was racist towards gypsies. not so much anymore, although i am alittle suspicious.

Where i live there is a Gypsy trouppe that once every year comes to one of the richer parts and steals tons of stuff. One of them pretends to have a heart attack or other medical emergency, while the others go into the house and wipe them clean 
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 19:24
One, can read my story about the Gypsies at another thred on this site.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gerry57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2009 at 06:18
If it wasn't such a serious subject I would laugh. The Gypsies would located in Russia where they traveled from town to town. They would dance, have little-rig games.Their most skilled trade was lying, stealing, and cheating No one was against the Gypsies.As with other groups of people.Their actions bring the Racism toward them.No country or regular Joe's/Jane's teach their children to hate them.They bring this type of actions on themselves!!!
Gerry O'Brien
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234