Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFall of Constantinople 29th May 1453

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall of Constantinople 29th May 1453
    Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by Mortaza

That wall and cannon discussion is stupid. Ottomans did not destroyed wall, they entered city from a gate. So We can easy see, cannons did not helped ottomans much. walls resisted.
And I am sure you can find a lot castle who resist more numerous enemy more than 60 day.

Mehmet II built the fort of Rumeli Hisari, 10 miles north of the city on the european side of the Bogazici, to gain control of the water way and sever Byzantium's communications with the Black Sea as well as to assure the passage of Ottoman troopsfrom anatolia to Europe.As soon as the new port was completed, Mehmet demanded that Constantinople surrender, threatening a full-scale siege.The actual siege began in February 1453 when the first forces sent from Edirne occupied the Byzantine seaports along the Sea of Marmara and huge cannons were dragged through Thrace to lead the attack on the city's great walls.In March, the Ottoman armies of Anatolia crossed the Bogazici to the new Rumeli hisari, while an armada built in Gallipoli went through the Canakkale Bogazi into the sea of Marmara and began the attack the city by sea.The final assault began on the night of May 28.After two hours the huge Ottoman cannon tore large gaps in the walls between the modern Topkapi and the Yalikapi, and the attackers flowed into the city.The Ottoman fleet broke the Byzantine chain and entered the Halic (Golden Horne).
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 13:21
broke? I had no idea Ottomans broke that chain. Confused

Edited by Mortaza - 14-Jun-2006 at 13:22
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 13:31
Originally posted by Constantine XI

A population changing its religion? You euphemise an atrocity. The pagans were converted with butchery by the Latin elites in many parts of the Western Empire. The Turks also used butchery to take from others. Either way if I were the poor commoner whose place of worship had been taken and my family killed, both situations are equally horrendous. Both situations were practically the same, though as a side note I should point out that after 1453 a large Greek population lived in Phanar district and prospered, free to practice their religion for the most part.. The same cannot be said of the pagans, they were given a choice between conversion or death

You say that the "Latin elites" butchered pagans in "many parts" of the western empire.  We are not discussing "many parts" of the western empire here.  We are discussing the situation involving Hagia Sophia in Constantinople and the Mosque/Church of Cordoba.  Do you have any references regarding a butchering of pagans in Cordoba when the original church was built?  I have never seen one.  I have however (as I am sure you have as well) read of the butchery that took place in Constantinople during Mehmet's capture of the city and seizure of Hagia Sophia.  I am aware of the Greek Phanar district and that they were allowed to practice there religion.  Perhaps you should also mention that they were treated as second class citizens and had most (eventually all) of their historic places of worship seized and converted into mosques.  Doesn't sound like things were as prosperous for them as you claim.

See my above explanation. Your view that all the Christian conversions were peaceful is totally erroneous, the Christian conversions and oppressions were as bad as a foreign invasion. The pagans often had to put up with Christianity imposed by foreigners, either from the far away priests of Rome of from some equally violent foreign tribe such as the Visigoths. It is naive to think that the Christian conversions were all some happy and peaceful affair with cotton candy, fun and games. My argument still stands.

I never said that the Christian conversions were all peaceful.  I still don't think your argument stands.  Whether or not the Christian conversions were as bad as a foreign invasion is not the point.  It was still not a foreign invasion.  You are trying to compare a population's religion change (whether it was peaceful or not) with a brutal invasion/conquest of a population by a ruthless foreign power.  Two completely different types of situations.

I didn't say it was ok to take the building, simply that the building was an improvement over the old one. The Arab conquerors, having a much more developed urban culture, had alot more to offer architecturally than Catholic Europe in the early Medieval period, it's simply a fact. I do know for a fact that Romanesque churches of the early medieval period (which would have been the design of the previous Christian structure) would at best have simply been a basilica. That was the best Late Rome in the West had to offer, I consider such a design inferior to what the Moors built in Cordoba. Even in the High Middle Ages the less advanced nations such as France and England moved away from romanesque designs to gothic, because gothic was far more useful.

Also, don't misquote me. Where did I say it was wrong for the Spaniards to take the Cordoba mosque? I didn't make such a claim, it makes you look silly if you claim a person says something when they did not. I simply said that Mehmet was doing what any other successful conqueror in his period did. I didn't say it was good or bad or justified, simply that it was typical, normal and to be expected. I claimed that Mehmet played by the rules of his days and lived up to the norms of his period, not the post-Enlightenment and post-Geneva Convention period that we belong to. If you can get yourself out of this narrow Christian vs. Everyone else mindset then maybe you can better understand the issues being discussed.

The following quote from a few pages back implies that it was wrong for the Spaniards to take the Cordoba mosques.  You said that they "re-stole something that they earlier had not been strong enough to defend".  Stealing is considered wrong by most people, so when you say that they stole something it implies that you think it is wrong.  So as you can see, you were not really misquoted after all.  You are the one who is being "silly" about this entire argument and in fact have misquoted me numerous times throughout this debate.  You wrote in your last post that I have a "narrow Christian vs. Everyone else mindset".  The word "everyone else" encompases an enourmous amount of groups, cultures, and beliefs.  The fact that I have argued on behalf of the Christians in all of the Christian vs. Muslim conflicts we have discussed does not mean that I am against "everyone else" unless you consider everyone else to be muslims which is of course not true.  You also quoted me as saying "all the Christian conversions were peaceful" which I never said.  Your ridiculous defence of Mehmet, a man who destroyed what was left of an empire we both respect, is pointless and has now degenerated into you making false attacks against me.
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 13:41
Originally posted by Bulldog

It was a great move, kind of like the trojan horse feat Wink the Byzantines were amazed by Mehmed's genius and simply gave up.

What are you talking about?  The Byzantines put up a heroic defense and fought to the bitter end.  They did not "simply give up."  Mehmet was hardly a genius.  All he did was haul some boats over land.  It had been done before.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 17:29
Originally posted by R_AK47

You say that the "Latin elites" butchered pagans in "many parts" of the western empire.  We are not discussing "many parts" of the western empire here.  We are discussing the situation involving Hagia Sophia in Constantinople and the Mosque/Church of Cordoba.  Do you have any references regarding a butchering of pagans in Cordoba when the original church was built?  I have never seen one.  I have however (as I am sure you have as well) read of the butchery that took place in Constantinople during Mehmet's capture of the city and seizure of Hagia Sophia.  I am aware of the Greek Phanar district and that they were allowed to practice there religion.  Perhaps you should also mention that they were treated as second class citizens and had most (eventually all) of their historic places of worship seized and converted into mosques.  Doesn't sound like things were as prosperous for them as you claim.

As I said, they survived, the pagans did not. It is fairly evident who got the better of the two deals, the Christians were a good deal more ruthless in their treatment of pagans. One group was better off than the other.

I never said that the Christian conversions were all peaceful.  I still don't think your argument stands.  Whether or not the Christian conversions were as bad as a foreign invasion is not the point.  It was still not a foreign invasion.  You are trying to compare a population's religion change (whether it was peaceful or not) with a brutal invasion/conquest of a population by a ruthless foreign power.  Two completely different types of situations.

You didn't say the Christian conversions were peaceful, you assumed it when you said the "population changed its religion" and considered this somehow less traumatic than a foreign invasion. Such a statement indicates you believe the Christian line that populations in the empire converted peacefully, a great fallacy.

Also how are the two situations different? In both instances there was stealing of religious property, massacres, discrimination and the forced conversion of the common people by a class who they had little in common with. Sounds like two very similar situations to me.

The following quote from a few pages back implies that it was wrong for the Spaniards to take the Cordoba mosques.  You said that they "re-stole something that they earlier had not been strong enough to defend".  Stealing is considered wrong by most people, so when you say that they stole something it implies that you think it is wrong.  So as you can see, you were not really misquoted after all.  You are the one who is being "silly" about this entire argument and in fact have misquoted me numerous times throughout this debate.  You wrote in your last post that I have a "narrow Christian vs. Everyone else mindset".  The word "everyone else" encompases an enourmous amount of groups, cultures, and beliefs.  The fact that I have argued on behalf of the Christians in all of the Christian vs. Muslim conflicts we have discussed does not mean that I am against "everyone else" unless you consider everyone else to be muslims which is of course not true.  You also quoted me as saying "all the Christian conversions were peaceful" which I never said.  Your ridiculous defence of Mehmet, a man who destroyed what was left of an empire we both respect, is pointless and has now degenerated into you making false attacks against me.

Again you make assumptions. If you had paid attention you would see my point is that Mehmet II was doing what all medieval conquerors did, he was no better and no worse. My example of the Spaniard actions in Cordoba on two occasions is simply proof of that. But you once again interpret this (wrongly) into your moralistic view of the situation, unable to break free from your determination to demonise Islam in order to vindicate your self righteous views on Christianity.

There is also plenty of evidence that Christians launched wholescale attacks on pagans, you have actually even been in discussions regarding it before. The icon of St Nicholas tearing down pagan structures cannot be more evident. But if that isn't enough for you, there are the riots in Alexandria which burnt down the great library and torutured the pagan scholar woman Hypatia to death. There is the removal of the statue of Victory from the Senate house in Rome itself, objected to by a majority of Senators and followed soon after by a military revolt lead by pagans. Quite clearly the local pagans in the Western Empire were enormously unhappy with the imposed Christian religion from the east, their revolt enjoying alot of local support and only being crushed by the eastern Empire's army. Want more evidence? How about the universal declaration by Theodosius I banning all pagan worship, confiscating all pagan property and calling for the death and torture of all pagans who refused conversion in 392? The evidence that paganism was wiped out with brutality is overwhelming, only someone totally lacking in the education of Roman history could naively believe the Christian conversions were a peaceful affair. The declaration of Theodosius and the actions across the breadth and width of the empire are proof of a fairly universal policy of persecuation and violence against pagans in the west. Why should Cordoba be an exception?

Edited by Constantine XI - 14-Jun-2006 at 17:42
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 01:02

[QUOTE=Constantine XI]
I didn't say it was ok to take the building, simply that the building was an improvement over the old one. The Arab conquerors, having a much more developed urban culture, had alot more to offer architecturally than Catholic Europe in the early Medieval period, it's simply a fact. I do know for a fact that Romanesque churches of the early medieval period (which would have been the design of the previous Christian structure) would at best have simply been a basilica. That was the best Late Rome in the West had to offer, I consider such a design inferior to what the Moors built in Cordoba. Even in the High Middle Ages the less advanced nations such as France and England moved away from romanesque designs to gothic, because gothic was far more useful.

Hmm..architecture. Ok, what you failed to see Constantine is that Islam since its beginnings was influenced by Eastern christianity, both in architecture and other areas. Having said that I would also agree that Byzantium took influences form Islam, its pretty inevitable actually. But the basis of Islamic architecture was rooted in Byzantine architecture and from that Islam gained its own flavor. Islam also took influences from Persian as well. But to say that Islam was far more advanced in the aspect of architecture is just a false statement. Also regarding the Moors in Spain and Byzantium, The ever beautiful Alhambra that the Moors constructed was itself descendent from the Great Palace in constantinople. When you look to Islami Spain architecture, you are looking at Byzantine influenced architecture, its actually quite unavoidably noticeable to the trained eye. Actually any Islamic building you admire is Byzantine influenced. Again I reiterate my other point that Byzantium also took some influences from Islam.

check out this link, actually I didnt know Islam gave us some of the things listed here in the beginning, quite impressive.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 01:04
it appears the link may not work. In that case go to google and just type in "what islam took from byzantium" and it should be the first link.

Edited by arch.buff - 16-Jun-2006 at 01:20
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 02:16
Originally posted by arch.buff

Hmm..architecture. Ok, what you failed to see Constantine is that Islam since its beginnings was influenced by Eastern christianity, both in architecture and other areas. Having said that I would also agree that Byzantium took influences form Islam, its pretty inevitable actually. But the basis of Islamic architecture was rooted in Byzantine architecture and from that Islam gained its own flavor. Islam also took influences from Persian as well. But to say that Islam was far more advanced in the aspect of architecture is just a false statement. Also regarding the Moors in Spain and Byzantium, The ever beautiful Alhambra that the Moors constructed was itself descendent from the Great Palace in constantinople. When you look to Islami Spain architecture, you are looking at Byzantine influenced architecture, its actually quite unavoidably noticeable to the trained eye. Actually any Islamic building you admire is Byzantine influenced. Again I reiterate my other point that Byzantium also took some influences from Islam.

Yes, arch.buff, but that is why in my reply i distinguished the Christians as Catholics (i.e. coming from the realm of Latin Christendom as opposed to the Eastern Orthodox branches). Both Islamic and Byzantine architecture was more advanced than the simple romanesque buildings which the highly argrarian people of Western Europe built in the rare instances they possessed the resources. This disparity between architectural quality continued until the High Middle Ages (roughly 11th - mid 14th centuries) when the innovations made by Latin Christendom enabled them to hold a candle to Islam and Byzantine architecture. However, in the early medieval period the Latin Christians tended to have less advanced architecture, a reflection of their weaker economy and smaller urban culture.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 04:19

Yes, arch.buff, but that is why in my reply i distinguished the Christians as Catholics (i.e. coming from the realm of Latin Christendom as opposed to the Eastern Orthodox branches). Both Islamic and Byzantine architecture was more advanced than the simple romanesque buildings which the highly argrarian people of Western Europe built in the rare instances they possessed the resources. This disparity between architectural quality continued until the High Middle Ages (roughly 11th - mid 14th centuries) when the innovations made by Latin Christendom enabled them to hold a candle to Islam and Byzantine architecture. However, in the early medieval period the Latin Christians tended to have less advanced architecture, a reflection of their weaker economy and smaller urban culture.
Romanesque is a relatively late architectural style. For instance, 11th century was still Romanesque. When one issues this style at European scale, the readers imagine Western Europe in 10-12th centuries.
And Europe had a lot of resources and some of them were also exploited. By this time, in France large stone careers were active. The Caen stone is spreading since 11th century (for instance, in England, especially after the Norman conquest).

Can you be more explicit on these judgements of value you're making? You cannot claiming superiorities by simply stating them.

Edited by Chilbudios - 16-Jun-2006 at 04:19
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 10:42
Western Europe was still able to produce impressive buildings, but taking one look at the palaces of Cairo or the Haghia Sophia must surely be enough to convince anyone that the West was behind the Byzantine and Islamic worlds in architectural splendour. Basilicas were their best piece of work after the fall of Rome, new ones being a rare sight in themselves. I am specifically referring to the period in the aftermath of the fall of Rome, 5th-8th centuries, when the plainess and simplicity of Western architecture compared to that in the East Mediterranean was easy to spot.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 19:52

5th-8th centuries is a weird time span for the previous claims.

There's no Romanesque style in Europe, there's no Arab architecture for the most of the interval (as they conquered northern parts of Africa during the 7th century and reached Spain at the beginning of the 8th), even more there's no architectural stylstic movement at Western European scale, as most of the urban buildings were Roman buildings repaired, reused (i.e. getting a new functionality) or new buildings built with the materials from Roman ruins.
However, in some post-Roman kingdoms like Visigothic ones there was a certain development of architecture synthetising Roman and Oriental elements, and like I said the Mozarab architecture inherited some of its features.

I don't know about palaces of Cairo are you talking about, I don't know why you chose this time span, and what's the point you attempted to made with Romanesque architecture (which belongs to a different age).
But I think you'll be in a real difficulty if you'll attempt to compare Hagia Sophia with a representative Romanesque building, take the cathedral of Vezelay, for instance. Smile

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 05:38

Obviously, as stated in many other topics before, cannon had a lot of help in Ottoman conquest...

But about breaking the chain, I've not heard of it either.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 03:18

Western Europe was still able to produce impressive buildings, but taking one look at the palaces of Cairo or the Haghia Sophia must surely be enough to convince anyone that the West was behind the Byzantine and Islamic worlds in architectural splendour. Basilicas were their best piece of work after the fall of Rome, new ones being a rare sight in themselves. I am specifically referring to the period in the aftermath of the fall of Rome, 5th-8th centuries, when the plainess and simplicity of Western architecture compared to that in the East Mediterranean was easy to spot.

I'd say i agree with the above statement, but it is to be expected when barbarians basically destroy every ounce of learning or advancement. As for the Romanesque style of architecture that you reffered to....Charlemagne is usually accredited with this wave of ancient Roman building. What Charlemagne desired was a re-creation of the Roman empire and if Charlemagne failed at that, what he did do was encourage a new wave of ambitious church building throughout much of western Europe. The Romanesque style was based on massive structual elements and Roman vaults and arches. This particularly suited the Normans who invaded Europe in the 10th century, so much so that in the west(Europe and the US) the Romanesque style is also known as Norman. The Normans also spread this thru to Italy, Sicily, and Britian. Its basically the precursor to Gothic.

I am in particular very fond of Aachen Cathedral:

Edited by arch.buff - 20-Jun-2006 at 03:38
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 07:25
Of course I understand that Western Europe was in a bad spot, which is why for a long time their architecture fell behind that of the East Mediterranean. Events in history are the logical outcome of the circumstances of the time, never of the supposed moral righteousness of one side or another. I think that thanks to the insinuations of a certain somebody that discussions involving comparisons between the Christian and Islamic world are becoming moralistic tug-of-wars in here. I have been striving hard to avoid this by displaying both sides of the coin where necessary, that being the only reason I raised the issue of the lower standard of Catholic architecture in the early medieval period.

I hope that these discussions can continue, without antagonistic bias where one side attempts to settle the present world conflicts by demonising the past of what they consider to be their enemies today. To be frank, I couldn't give a damn if the topic involved Christians, Muslims, aborigines or eskimos. A lively yet impartial discussion where people explore history properly is what is needed, not self righteous agenda pushing. The medieval forum has traditionally been a very well behaved section of AE and I intend on keeping it that way.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 18:48

Of course I understand that Western Europe was in a bad spot, which is why for a long time their architecture fell behind that of the East Mediterranean. Events in history are the logical outcome of the circumstances of the time, never of the supposed moral righteousness of one side or another. I think that thanks to the insinuations of a certain somebody that discussions involving comparisons between the Christian and Islamic world are becoming moralistic tug-of-wars in here. I have been striving hard to avoid this by displaying both sides of the coin where necessary, that being the only reason I raised the issue of the lower standard of Catholic architecture in the early medieval period.

I hope that these discussions can continue, without antagonistic bias where one side attempts to settle the present world conflicts by demonising the past of what they consider to be their enemies today. To be frank, I couldn't give a damn if the topic involved Christians, Muslims, aborigines or eskimos. A lively yet impartial discussion where people explore history properly is what is needed, not self righteous agenda pushing. The medieval forum has traditionally been a very well behaved section of AE and I intend on keeping it that way.

Clap Couldnt agree with you more Constantine!
Sure hope Im not one of those bias people you speak of, although when you believe in a certain belief its hard not to have a certain degree of partialness. But when speaking of such topics of architecture Its hard not see that both Christendom and Islam have both given us so much. Not only abrahamic religions but also since the very beginning countless civilizations have contributed to the aesthetic and technical splendor of buliding and construction.  
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 23:34
Nah you are fine, arch.buff, I appreciate your contributions. You have the ability to weigh evidence and be equitable and you make use of that, all part of being a proper historian.
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 14:13

As I said, they survived, the pagans did not. It is fairly evident who got the better of the two deals, the Christians were a good deal more ruthless in their treatment of pagans. One group was better off than the other.

There are still active pagans in the world today, they have survived as well. 

You didn't say the Christian conversions were peaceful, you assumed it when you said the "population changed its religion" and considered this somehow less traumatic than a foreign invasion. Such a statement indicates you believe the Christian line that populations in the empire converted peacefully, a great fallacy.

Also how are the two situations different? In both instances there was stealing of religious property, massacres, discrimination and the forced conversion of the common people by a class who they had little in common with. Sounds like two very similar situations to me.

I still disagree with you on this point, for reasons that I've already stated earlier in this thread.

Again you make assumptions. If you had paid attention you would see my point is that Mehmet II was doing what all medieval conquerors did, he was no better and no worse. My example of the Spaniard actions in Cordoba on two occasions is simply proof of that. But you once again interpret this (wrongly) into your moralistic view of the situation, unable to break free from your determination to demonise Islam in order to vindicate your self righteous views on Christianity.

There is also plenty of evidence that Christians launched wholescale attacks on pagans, you have actually even been in discussions regarding it before. The icon of St Nicholas tearing down pagan structures cannot be more evident. But if that isn't enough for you, there are the riots in Alexandria which burnt down the great library and torutured the pagan scholar woman Hypatia to death. There is the removal of the statue of Victory from the Senate house in Rome itself, objected to by a majority of Senators and followed soon after by a military revolt lead by pagans. Quite clearly the local pagans in the Western Empire were enormously unhappy with the imposed Christian religion from the east, their revolt enjoying alot of local support and only being crushed by the eastern Empire's army. Want more evidence? How about the universal declaration by Theodosius I banning all pagan worship, confiscating all pagan property and calling for the death and torture of all pagans who refused conversion in 392? The evidence that paganism was wiped out with brutality is overwhelming, only someone totally lacking in the education of Roman history could naively believe the Christian conversions were a peaceful affair. The declaration of Theodosius and the actions across the breadth and width of the empire are proof of a fairly universal policy of persecuation and violence against pagans in the west. Why should Cordoba be an exception?

You still have not provided any evidence of persecution of pagans in Cordoba by Christians at the time of the building of the Visigoth Church.  You are assuming that it happened, but have no evidence to back it up.  You have requested sources from me before in these instances (remember the Statue of Justinian debate) and I have provided links if any were available.  I don't understand why you went on a tangent about Romanesque architecture, which has been shown by others to be irrelevant to this discussion.

EDIT:  I too hope that we can continue to have interesting discussions and debates on this forum.  I have disagreed with you on nearly every topic we have debated.  However, if we all agreed on everything, then we would have nothing to debate and post about in which case what use would any of us have for these forums?

Edited by R_AK47 - 22-Jun-2006 at 14:15
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 15:11

There are still active pagans in the world today, they have survived as well.

Give me a break, new age pagans are a reinvention and do not count. Christianity all but wiped out paganism in the Roman Empire using nothing less than exquisite brutality, that is an established historical fact. Don't give me some bull about today's psuedo pagans being proof of their survival under the Christians, the pagans of today are just a modern fad. Your assertion doesn't hold water.

I still disagree with you on this point, for reasons that I've already stated earlier in this thread.

And for reasons I have clearly refuted. Two instances of the bulk of the population having religion imposed on them by a smaller group using violence, little real difference in the level of suffering between the two groups.

You still have not provided any evidence of persecution of pagans in Cordoba by Christians at the time of the building of the Visigoth Church.  You are assuming that it happened, but have no evidence to back it up.  You have requested sources from me before in these instances (remember the Statue of Justinian debate) and I have provided links if any were available.  I don't understand why you went on a tangent about Romanesque architecture, which has been shown by others to be irrelevant to this discussion.

The persecution of pagans was an empire-wide phenomenon for which I have provided evidence. It is an accepted fact that the later Roman hierarchy persecuted pagans and imposed Christianity wherever it could, using nasty methods the majority of the time. When you have a phenomenon which is almost universal, that would mean that Christian persecutions of pagans in Cordoba would be nothing more than fitting in with the general trend of what was happening. The historian often has to work in the absence of reliable sources and I have never encountered detailed accounts of civic life in Cordoba, or virtually every Late Roman city, to say exactly what was going on there.

However, the available evidence we do have is consistent with concluding that across the whole empire Christians persecuted pagans and stole their places of worship. For Cordoba to be any different would be quite an exception to the rule. As in many aspects of history, historians must make conclusions based on what is considered very likely because it is rare to find a document that says "and so and so happened on so and so date, according to so and so". So seeing as I have proven that an empire-wide persecution of pagans by Christians took place and that this was very consistent, what evidence do you have to prove that Cordoba should be any special exception?
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 12:51

And for reasons I have clearly refuted. Two instances of the bulk of the population having religion imposed on them by a smaller group using violence, little real difference in the level of suffering between the two groups.

The persecution of pagans was an empire-wide phenomenon for which I have provided evidence. It is an accepted fact that the later Roman hierarchy persecuted pagans and imposed Christianity wherever it could, using nasty methods the majority of the time. When you have a phenomenon which is almost universal, that would mean that Christian persecutions of pagans in Cordoba would be nothing more than fitting in with the general trend of what was happening. The historian often has to work in the absence of reliable sources and I have never encountered detailed accounts of civic life in Cordoba, or virtually every Late Roman city, to say exactly what was going on there.

However, the available evidence we do have is consistent with concluding that across the whole empire Christians persecuted pagans and stole their places of worship. For Cordoba to be any different would be quite an exception to the rule. As in many aspects of history, historians must make conclusions based on what is considered very likely because it is rare to find a document that says "and so and so happened on so and so date, according to so and so". So seeing as I have proven that an empire-wide persecution of pagans by Christians took place and that this was very consistent, what evidence do you have to prove that Cordoba should be any special exception?

You have provided no source claiming that the bulk of the population was pagan in Cordoba during the time that the cathedral was constructed.  You have also not provided any sources that show that pagans were persecuted in Cordoba at this time.  The instance in Cordoba is completely different. 

The Church of Cordoba (built to honor Saint Vincent) was built while Cordoba was under Visigoth rule, after the Visigoth King Reccared (who ruled from 586 to 601) and his nobles converted to Christianity.  So as you can see, it was not the Roman Empire that built the original Church of Cordoba, it was the Visigoths.  This makes all of your statements about Roman persecution of pagans completely irrelevant, as it was not the Roman's that built the church.  It was the Visigoths.

In 391 Emperor Theodosius I made Christianity and Judaisism the only legal religions in the Roman Empire.  Any persecution of pagans would have taken place primarily at this time.  However, this is 200 years before the Church of Cordoba was even built.  Perhaps you should use some of your "equitable thinking" skills and realize that the pagan persecutions (regardless of how intense they were) you speak of are irrelevant to this discussion.  I have successfully torn your poorly researched argument apart.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 23:46

You have provided no source claiming that the bulk of the population was pagan in Cordoba during the time that the cathedral was constructed.  You have also not provided any sources that show that pagans were persecuted in Cordoba at this time.  The instance in Cordoba is completely different. 

The Church of Cordoba (built to honor Saint Vincent) was built while Cordoba was under Visigoth rule, after the Visigoth King Reccared (who ruled from 586 to 601) and his nobles converted to Christianity.  So as you can see, it was not the Roman Empire that built the original Church of Cordoba, it was the Visigoths.  This makes all of your statements about Roman persecution of pagans completely irrelevant, as it was not the Roman's that built the church.  It was the Visigoths.

In 391 Emperor Theodosius I made Christianity and Judaisism the only legal religions in the Roman Empire.  Any persecution of pagans would have taken place primarily at this time.  However, this is 200 years before the Church of Cordoba was even built.  Perhaps you should use some of your "equitable thinking" skills and realize that the pagan persecutions (regardless of how intense they were) you speak of are irrelevant to this discussion.  I have successfully torn your poorly researched argument apart.

The site of Cordoba was originally used as a pagan temple. I do have a source for that:

Mezquita, (from Arabic مسجد "Masjid"), is Spanish for "mosque".

This article deals with the one in Cordoba, Spain. It is a 10th century Moorish Islamic house of prayer. The site is older than the building, having been host to a Roman pagan temple, the cathedral church of St Vincent of Saragossa built by the Catholic bishops under Visigothic rule, and finally the Mezquita itself.

A historian must deal with the fact that the vast bulk of what happened in history was not recorded, instead the contemporary evidence must be examined to determine what most likely happened. I have provided evidence that there was an empire-wide persecution of pagans, sanctioned by Roman imperial authorities. The evidence to suggest there was a persecution of the pagans in Cordoba and confiscation of their property is MORE CONVINCING than that they simply up and converted, raising their hands in the air and shouting "praise the Lord!" like a pack of evangelical rednecks. Also it wouldn't matter if the bulk of the population was pagan or not, it was the pagan's site and they had a right to it. But of course, the Christians chose to deny the pagans their right to simply exist, so we all know that one way or another the Christians managed to take the site by persecuting the original users. They either killed off the pagans and then took the site, or they took the site from them and then killed them. Not a world of difference.

Back to the overarching argument here, you claimed that the Christians had a right to confiscate the Cordoba mosque (the Mezquita) because it was stolen from them, that this was different from Mehmet and Haghia Sophia. Yet you are clearly in error. A little research reveals thats the Muslims were tolerant enough to allow joint use of the site and that the Christians abandoned it, actually relinquished their claim to ownership. I have a source for that too:

The construction of the Mezquita (originally the Aljama Mosque) lasted for over two centuries, starting in 784 A.D. under the supervision of the first emir of Cordoba, Abd ar-Rahman I, who used it as an adjunct to his palace and named it to honor his wife. The site was that of the Visigothic cathedral of St. Vincent. When the forces of Tariq ibn-Ziyad had first occupied Crdoba in 711, it had been equitable that they and the Christians share the cathedral space, according to the historian ar-Rz, who documented the mosque's history. But with the establishment of the Umayyads in exile as emirs of Crdoba, the compromise space was no longer sufficient. Negotiations between the Emir and the bishop of Crdoba, eased by the promise of a large cash payment as well as permission to rebuild one of the extramural churches that had been leveled at the time of the conquest, resulted in the Christians' relinquishing their half of St. Vincent, which was razed and the new mosque, in its first phase, built upon the foundations

So in fact, the Christians GAVE UP their claim to the church VOLUNTARILY, that after centuries of enjoying joint use of it as well as enjoying renovations and enlargements to the building paid for by Muslim authorities. So you have no basis to claim the Christians were "taking back" what was "stolen" from them. As conquerors the 13th century Spaniards simply took what they wanted, just as Mehmet did, so the two situations are perfectly comparable. My original argument that medieval conquerors took by conquest what they wanted and that this was common throughout the medieval world (both Christians and Muslims) is therefore entirely vindicated. My original point has been proven correct, and now it is your lack of research into this matter which is evident for all to see. Happy reading, mate.

Edited by Constantine XI - 26-Jun-2006 at 23:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>