Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFall of Constantinople 29th May 1453

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall of Constantinople 29th May 1453
    Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 17:55
I think this picture is relevant with the subject:

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 18:36
Yep Kotumeyil also i think this is a good source:

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 04:15
The above is a typical capitualtion treaty. It's almost a standard document for the cities who would surrended. It was intended to the Latins, mainly Genoveze and Venetians.

Kotumeyil, nice icon, where is it located? Patriarch Gennadios was appointed by the Sultan, in an effort to cut Orthodox church ties with the Pope.  

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 05:05
It's located in the Patriarchate.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 12:10
Try spelling well my nick.-i won't go on such cheap indirect taunts.

I don't have any ideas about what "diegenis" may mean, but I have never intended to insult you by wrong spelling, take it easy.

I am not a member of this forum.I have read "To chronicon tis Aloseos" of Georgios Frantzis.Maybe it sounds strange to you,reading from the sources

Ok then, no problem. And it actually sounds strange to learn that you read from sources.

Can you provide any sources about the peacfull entry of turkish troops in the City?

Of course you cannot expect a conquerer army to deliver honey cups and flowers after a battle but what I meant is that he didn't have bad relations with the locals. He just let them have whatever they needed to.

He allowed the Rums have Hagia Sophia as a sanctuary forever, even if it was turned into a mosque. He left the patriarch alive, and he formed the Armenian patriarch of Istanbul himself. Have you ever heard of his berat or Ahdname? I guess no. Since I'm fed up with repeating myself, to remind other examples of his tolerance, and since you always need a link...

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 15:17
1.Mohamed II first let his men to loot ,massacre ,rape and destroy.

Then he co-operated with the "anthenotikoi" part (anti-unification part -with catholic church). Patriarch Gennadios was one of them (@Kotumeyil).

It was a rational and clever politic action since he was counting on the hate of orthodox zelots againgst catholics,giving them privileges and aliance with them,(puting them on the head of the Greeks),assured less posibilities for help by the West.-this could be a headache for him.

But any serious person (i said serious) cannot deny that the entry in the city was followed by large scale slaughter.

@Day
In 1453 Galata was not controlled by Byzantines.It was a colony of the Genoese and (although other Genoese did) Galata didnt helped against the Turks during the siege.

I wouldnt expect to be accused as a member of nationalistic forum ( i have already expressed my opinion for this stupidity in the thread: "stormfront") by someone who called the massacre of Chios (1822-35.000 killed civilians recorded)-"so called massacre"(!)

Anyway-the topic is 29 May 1453,and the facts of this day.

Edited by Digenis - 02-Jun-2006 at 15:20
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

He allowed the Rums have Hagia Sophia as a sanctuary forever, even if it was turned into a mosque.

What are you talking about?  He allowed the Rums (Greeks I assume you are refering to) to "have" Hagia Sophia as a "sanctuary forever"?  The intolerant Mehmet stole the most important religious building of the Orthodox faith from them and modified it (ruined it actually) into a mosque.  Only muslims were allowed into the building until it was changed into a "museum" about 100 years ago.  I don't see how you can even try to claim Mehmet's outrageous actions as acts of tolerance.  Mehmet was a thief who stole an entire city from its rightful inhabitants.
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 06:39
Originally posted by R_AK47

Originally posted by Bashibozuk

He allowed the Rums have Hagia Sophia as a sanctuary forever, even if it was turned into a mosque.

What are you talking about?  He allowed the Rums (Greeks I assume you are refering to) to "have" Hagia Sophia as a "sanctuary forever"?  The intolerant Mehmet stole the most important religious building of the Orthodox faith from them and modified it (ruined it actually) into a mosque.  Only muslims were allowed into the building until it was changed into a "museum" about 100 years ago.  I don't see how you can even try to claim Mehmet's outrageous actions as acts of tolerance.  Mehmet was a thief who stole an entire city from its rightful inhabitants.
And I think you are one of the last person to talk about history. A lot of nations captured cities. You are not suitable to discuss history
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 13:27

[

Are you really that naive ?
What is so outrageous about " Mehmet's outrageous actions"?
That's what conquerors do, they will do as much as possible as to integrate the conquered territory into the the  political, social and cultural identity of their own country.
To convert the most important religious building of the conquered faith into a place of worship of one's own, was the most natural and logical action to take. Any self-respected conqueror would do the same. What else was he supposed to do ? To enter the Hagia Sophia and in view of its magnificence convert to Christianity?
Get real.
Of all major religions, the Christians have surely the least right to complain about acts of intolerance suffered and the East-Roman Empire with its long history of intolerance against other faiths or heresies is no exception.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 16:06
Originally posted by Komnenos

To convert the most important religious building of the conquered faith into a place of worship of one's own, was the most natural and logical action to take. Any self-respected conqueror would do the same.

Like who?
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 19:02

Are you really that naive ?
What is so outrageous about " Mehmet's outrageous actions"?
That's what conquerors do, they will do as much as possible as to integrate the conquered territory into the the  political, social and cultural identity of their own country.
To convert the most important religious building of the conquered faith into a place of worship of one's own, was the most natural and logical action to take. Any self-respected conqueror would do the same. What else was he supposed to do ? To enter the Hagia Sophia and in view of its magnificence convert to Christianity?
Get real.
Of all major religions, the Christians have surely the least right to complain about acts of intolerance suffered and the East-Roman Empire with its long history of intolerance against other faiths or heresies is no exception.

That's true.

Why some people deny these actions?
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 19:37
Originally posted by Digenis

To convert the most important religious building of the conquered faith into a place of worship of one's own, was the most natural and logical action to take. Any self-respected conqueror would do the same.

Like who?

Ferdinand and Isabella with the Muslim mosques in Spain. The old Aztec temple in Tenochtitlan was torn down to build a Catholic Cathedral after Cortes took the city. The English were happy to expel the Celtic clergy from their churches when they conquered Ireland and replace them with ones who adhered to the Latin liturgy. The Venetians coveted the Haghia Sophia for themselves when they took Constantinople in 1204, making it a Catholic place of worship. It was a pretty standard thing to do, not very nice to have to suffer but you only suffered such a dishonour if you weren't strong enough to protect your nation from such actions. The Byzantines had a somewhat similar habit of making the Bulgarian church subordinate to their own when they had the power to do so. In the medieval era, might meant right.
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 11:03
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Ferdinand and Isabella with the Muslim mosques in Spain. The old Aztec temple in Tenochtitlan was torn down to build a Catholic Cathedral after Cortes took the city. The English were happy to expel the Celtic clergy from their churches when they conquered Ireland and replace them with ones who adhered to the Latin liturgy. The Venetians coveted the Haghia Sophia for themselves when they took Constantinople in 1204, making it a Catholic place of worship. It was a pretty standard thing to do, not very nice to have to suffer but you only suffered such a dishonour if you weren't strong enough to protect your nation from such actions. The Byzantines had a somewhat similar habit of making the Bulgarian church subordinate to their own when they had the power to do so. In the medieval era, might meant right.

Your statement regarding Ferdinand, Isabella, and the muslim mosques of Spain is wrong.  The muslim mosques were built by muslim invaders after destroying Christian churches and cathedrals (in many cases, being built directly over the ruins).  The Church of Cordoba (built as a mosque) is a good example of this (it was originally a Visigoth church before the muslims tore it down and built their mosque on top of it).  Ferdinand and Isabella were simply restoring the sites to their previous condition, before intolerant invaders destroyed the original churchs.  This is equivalent to when the Byzantines reconquered Constantinople from the crusaders and converted Hagia Sophia back to an Orthodox church (from a Catholic cathedral). 
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 11:20

I see, so in your opinion Mehmet (an evil, perverted person) is a "self-respected" conqueror and therefore allowed to subject conquered Constantinople to pillaging, destruction, and the stealing of sacred places of worship (Hagia Sophia, Holy Apostles, etc.) from Christians for muslim use.  However, when the Crusaders conquered Jerusalem and subjected the city to pillaging, destruction, and conversion of muslim monuments for Christian uses (Al-Aqsa mosque, dome of the rock, etc) it is a terrible crime that can never be forgiven.  Why is Mehmet so respected and exonerated by you while you demonize the crusaders for doing the same thing?  The things he did were far worse than anything the crusaders ever did.  Interesting double standards you have here on AE.

What else was he supposed to do ?

How about build his own mosque and leave Hagia Sophia alone?  Or was he simply not capable of building a monument as awesome as Hagia Sophia?

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 13:31
Old temples all over Anatolia have faced the same fate also. For example in the southeast, we have may Assyrian churches which were once pagan temples. Many churches left from the Byzantine era all over Anatolia are actually old, carved stones and caves used by earlier Anatolians. For example the most famous churches of Cappadocia, were actually Hittite towns from centuries ago. Many churches in Western Anatolia are either built with the stones left from the early inhabitants like Lydians, Lycians and Phrygians.

And in southern Turkey, we have mosques which were once Cilician temples, later converted by Persians, and later converted into churches by Christians, and later converted to mosques by Arabs, and later reconverted into churches by Armenians, and finally reconverted into mosques or cervansarais by the Seljuks. See the similarity, or lets say, evolution of civilisation?

(an evil, perverted person) 

Watch your language kid. I guess you're passing the limits of criticizing.

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 14:20

Why is Mehmet so respected and exonerated by you while you demonize the crusaders for doing the same thing?  The things he did were far worse than anything the crusaders ever did.  Interesting double standards

I am afraid(Big smile) i have to agree with R_Ak LOL

That's a general attitude in the West-The confrontationof  anti-muslim feelings ,and glorification of the West ,guides many people on the other side:
to purify the acts of the "ex-evil" (such Mohamed)

For the examples:i would agree only with the spanish and muslim spain.The other examples are either not changing religion or destruction of temples.
I would add also the Parthenon's convert to Church of Mary.

As for the churches in Asia Minor.
Unfortunately there is almost nothing left of them.And the fact that Cppadocia's underground churches survived is due to the fact that they are underground-and so not destroyed.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 16:18
If you try more harder, you will persuade us, how barbaric evil is Mehmet 2. Just try a little more.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 17:13
what you all say or do you cant convince some people even with historical documents. Even if mehmet II and his army entered constantinople with tulip in his hands im dead sure it gotten told whole different then it whas by Greeks self.

What do you expect of some Greeks who say they lost ww1 because of the emperialist forces....

So i'll say save your time and move on.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 17:26
Originally posted by DayI

what you all say or do you cant convince some people even with historical documents. Even if mehmet II and his army entered constantinople with tulip in his hands im dead sure it gotten told whole different then it whas by Greeks self.

Please .A n y sources? A n y historical documents? A ny historians?

What do you expect of some Greeks who say they lost ww1 because of the emperialist forces....

Greeks lost WW1?Confused
Till now i thought ,that in the end of WWII in 1918, the Ottoman Empire was on the side of the loosers,and Kingdom of Greece on the side of the winners. Smile

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 17:27
CANT WE JUST ALL AGREE THAT IN THE END IT WAS A GOOD THING THAT CONSTANTINOPLE FELL?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>