Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Obstacles to technological progress in Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obstacles to technological progress in Islam?
    Posted: 29-May-2006 at 05:03
Saw a programme on German TV last night "Sturm ueber dem Bosporus. Das Ende des Osmanischen Reiches" (Storm over the Bosphorus. The End of the Ottoman Empire).
It was the usual mixture of populist history. with sweeping generalisations and superficialities, with the usual extras dressed up in Turbans waving around scimitars, and yes, the "you know what" was mentioned as an historical fact at the end.
Two things were mildly interesting, first the part on the Sipahis, complete with bow reconstruction and experiments, and secondly a remark by a German profressor, an expert on everything Ottoman and Turkish apparently, who tried to explain why the Ottoman dominated Islamic world couldn't keep up with the technological advance of Central Europe from the 16/17th centuries onwards.
He predominantly puts it down to the famous Islamic law that forbids the depicture of living beings, animals and humans alike, and so the Professor argued, as it was impossible for Islamic scholars to illustrate their possible findings in medicine, biology, and other academic fields, they didn't bother to begin with.
It all soounded a bit feeble to me, first of all, I fail to understand why this law should have prevented research in non-biological technology, and second there surely must have been some other and some important reasons for the undeniable fact that the Muslim world fell behind.
Please enlighten me.

Link to programme website.(Only in German!)

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 08:15
I think the social structure of the Ottoman Empire was the primary reason for this. Although it was not a homogeneous structure everywhere in the Empire, it was highly centralized in the classical age. The Sultan had ultimate power and the taxes were collected in the hands of central government. The main class dicothomy was sultan vs. small peasants. Also there was a merchants class under the strict control of lounges. Every products that could be produced were well defined and innovations weren't welcomed. All the land belonged to the sultan. The sipahis used the land in the name of the sultan and in return they provided soldiers for the army. They couldn't leave the land as a legacy to their children. Therefore the capital accumulation in the private hands was very difficult. Thus a bourgeois class, which would motivate scientific progress didn't emerge. The Ottoman society was somewhat static. Only after the military losses, the European progress in military technology was observed and followed. Because the Ottoman economy was mostly dependent on military conquests. Another factor was that the Ottomans controlled the old trade routes and didn't have the motive of overseas discoveries.

The Islamic scolars (ulema) also had a preventing effect. Reading and writing was almost exclusive to them and they didn't want to lose their privileges. They had the right to multiply books through handwriting and they were strongly against the use of press. The press was introduced to the Ottoman society about 270 years after Gutenberg. The Medreses (kind of universities) were mainly focused on theology. Although in the classical age, the scientific studies in the areas like mathematics, astronomy etc. were developed, they were neglected through the regression age. The ulema became a privileged and corrupt community where being a member of ulema could be inherited from father to son (since it had privileges like exemption from military service).

I think the main reason was that capitalism couldn't emerge in the Empire until the last centuries so it couldn't compete with the newly emerging capitalist modern-states of the west and the second reason was that within this static pre-capitalist society, Islamic clergy had the role of medieval church in order to secure their privileges.

I don't have enough time so I wrote the first ideas I thought but of course they are open to dispute. 
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 10:23

I think that the economic dimension of this regression is largely overlooked. The European conquest of the Americas and the establishment of oceanic trade routes to India from Europe had a catastrophic effect on the Ottoman economy. For one thing, the new oceanic trade routes excluded the region of the Ottoman Empire from the old role of middleman it had enjoyed for thousands of years. Also, much of the silver being mined in the New World, especially in the mines of Potosi, had the effect of rampant inflation in the Ottoman Empire. Unlike Europe, where gold was the basis of exchange, in the Ottoman Empire that role was filled by silver. Thus, the Ottoman economy was plunged into a deep recession by the high inflation caused by the arrival of new American silver.

These two factors, coupled with environmental degradation and general mismanagement by corrupt officials in the provinces, caused a stagnant and even a regressive Ottoman economy, and what is more, a demographic decline. Egypt for example, only had a population of about 2.5 million in the eighteenth century, down from about 8 million in Roman times, and about 6 million during the Fatimid Caliphate.

A faltering economy and a declining population provide a poor basis for techonological progress.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 11:57
Originally posted by Komnenos

He predominantly puts it down to the famous Islamic law that forbids the depicture of living beings, animals and humans alike, and so the Professor argued, as it was impossible for Islamic scholars to illustrate their possible findings in medicine, biology, and other academic fields, they didn't bother to begin with.
It all soounded a bit feeble to me, first of all, I fail to understand why this law should have prevented research in non-biological technology, and second there surely must have been some other and some important reasons for the undeniable fact that the Muslim world fell behind.
Please enlighten me.

Nope thats not true,

illustration for the purpose of Learning and Gaining knowledge were allowed, actully knowledge and science were Illustrated by many Muslim Scholars.

there is a whole branch of Law that "allowes" some "not allowed" practices, and this is not new thing its there from the begining of the religion.

similar case is Alcohol drinking (for pleasure) is not allowed and forbidden but Alcohol drinking for medical purposes is allowed, like it was used to heal wonded men.

good site to check

check the Image section of each Major and see that some do has Illustration of Humans and Animals.

another sites with scholars went in through their works without any religiouse problems.

Figure 2.3 Arab astronomers at work, as depicted in a medieval manuscript.

Al-Idrisi's world map from 1154. Note that south is at the top of the map

Al-Idrisi constructed a world globe map of 400 Kg pure silver and precisely recorded on it the seven continents with trade routes, lakes and rivers, major cities, and plains and mountains.

His world map were used in Europe for centuries to come. It is worth mentioning that Christopher Columbus used the world maps , which was originally taken from Al-Idrisi's work.

i guess thats enough searches for today lol Big smile
------------------------

NOTE: also there are many Examples that there has been many livings paintings and drawings as Decoration used by many Islamic Caliphs and sultans, also coins in the Umayyads periods.

doesnt mean they were secular or not muslims, they were muslims but not that religious when it gets to drinking and other stuff , i guess that Too much Wealth and Comfort made them forget and ignore some rules and that one of the reasons that caused Weekness in the Rule of these  kings.

Edited by azimuth - 30-May-2006 at 12:34
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 19:16
I don't know exactly the reason, but I kind of guess that one of the main problem for the development of the muslim world (there must be exceptions but I'm talking broadly) was poor craft industry for many products that at the end were extremey valuable for the European.

One of the most well known exemple is the inability of Ottomans to produce clocks and watches. These were a cheap but highly regarded present for the sultans and bachas from the european rulers and merchants. The same goes for astronomical instruments (eventhough Arabian craftmen used to be highly skilled in the Middle Ages for this kind of stuff). The best example of the unability of easterners as a whole to produce precise instrument is in India. The Maharadhja Sawai Jai Singh II most found of science but unwilling to buy thing to the European decieded to get his indian mad instrument. But as it was impossible to produce them as small as the European ones, the sultan had five observatories built all around his estates. The Jantar Mantars were built and still are one of the strangest things that you can see in India

M.
I am a free donkey!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 10:56
I think the question is asked in the wrong way. It should be not what obstructed technological development in the East, but what pushed it trhough in the West.

I personally believe that it was the discovery of the New World that brought in the Renaissance, where the Orient isolated from the main roots towards the new world was destined to remain in stagnation.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 15:51
Ottoman pride got so high in 16th century that, they saw themselves so superior and ignored the developing technologies of Western world.

Then came the defeats in the battlefields,and fall in former Ottoman policy of valuing science in addition to a stronger religious effect above all the society.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 16:04

I saw that one two. I think it hasn't specificly to do with Islam I read somewere that the Roman Empire (western part so the end of the great empire) because they relide to much on Slaves so that could also be interprated as lack of technological advansment.

BTW I tought the arabs introduced alchemie , astronomie , all over the world they use Arab number if I'm not wrong ( or indian originally) the technology advancements ocured in the rennecanse period wich was started or influenced by the arabs(muslims) in Spain.

sorry for my english

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 21:22
Arabs didnt start the renaissance, although it could be argued that they held influences in mathematics. 

Edited by arch.buff - 15-Jun-2006 at 21:31
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 21:30
One way in which muslims influenced the renaissance is by taking Constantinople. After Constantinople fell to the Turks,  Greek/Byzantine scholars fled west to Rome bringing renewed energy in Greek/Roman heritage and advancement.

Edited by arch.buff - 15-Jun-2006 at 21:35
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 23:09
The topic is an interesting one and a very complicated one.

I think firstly we need to agree a date or time frame from whence onward the decline in technological advancement is thought to have begun.

Equally we must accept that histories carry a certain amount of momentum, so the reason of decline may precede the decline itself.
-
The height of Muslim advancement is considered to be from 12-14th century. Would others agree?

Although there are numerous smaller reasons that brought about the decline, I think the major reason was the theological debate that ensued between the rationalists and the orthodox literalists.
The oversteer emanating from this debate closed the door of ijtihad and with it the door to adaptive jurisprudence. What this meant was that the mechanism that kept Islam abreast with the social and environmental changes was effected. This led to the fossilization of Islamic jurisprudence due to the loss of rational approach.

Edited by malizai_ - 15-Jun-2006 at 23:16
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 02:26
The height of Muslim advancement is considered to be from 12-14th century. Would others agree?

900 - 1258. I think muslim should be replace with Arab, since thats usually what people mean when they say it. The major reason for decline? Mongol invasion and the burning of the Great Library of Baghdad.

The two greatest crimes of all history:
Destruction of the Great Library of Alexandria by fundamentalist Christians
Destruction of the Great Library of Baghdad by Mongols
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 11:47
The biggest obstacle is insect-minded ignorant people standing in front of development.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 11:50
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

900 - 1258. I think muslim should be replace with Arab, since thats usually what people mean when they say it. The major reason for decline? Mongol invasion and the burning of the Great Library of Baghdad.

Definitely, Mongols had the major role in decline of Islamic glory in science and technology...

All those killed people in Turkistan,Iran,Iraq,Anatolia cut the source of new masterminds and burnt cities were lost with all their cultural legacy, altogether with buildings,monuments, libraries etc.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 16:00
A great read on the subject and one that clarifies the situation well would most definetly be Marshal Hodgson's essay "The Great Western Transmuation." 

You might be able to find a copy of the essay online.  It is also included in his book Venture in Islam Vol. III.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 20:53
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

A couple of comments here:

1. I would say that the height of Muslim advancement would actually be from the 8th to the early 12th century, possibly declining even earlier than that, say the mid 11th century. The proper term should definitely be muslim and not Arab, since while the Arabs were the nominal rulers (and not even always at that), they were usually little more than a military elite, whose main cultural achievements came in poetry. The great cultural and intellectual achievements of the era were primarily the work of Syrians, Egyptians and Persians who spoke Arabic as a lingua franca, as the language of administration and trade. Most of these intellectuals were known by their Arab names, but that does not make them Arab.

2. Quite a significant proportion of the achievements of the Muslim world were actually done by Jewish, Christian and  Sabian subjects, especially before the 10th century. This is a fact that often goes unrecognised, since muslim historians overlook it, and christian or jewish historians often have little interest in the area and period.

3. The story of the destruction of the Great Library of Alexandria has been misrepresented quite a number of times in history. True, fundamentalist christians destroyed some documents. Quite a few more were destroyed by muslims as well. As the legend goes, I believe that it was the caliph Umar II who ordered the baths of Alexandria to be heated with books. Anyway, the library of Alexandria had been declining in importance and size since as early as the time of Caesar. We can blame all those who had a part in it, but surely blaming any one side and making it "one of the greatest crimes in history", is misplaced and unfair.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 23:44
I believe that some of us forget the great power of the climate.  The Middle East was not always desert.  Mass destruction of the forests of the Middle East led to decreased food productions and eventually a collapse of sorts.  Europe always remained able to farm and produce food while the Middle East was not.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 10:01
Lack of interest in the science amongst the general, populations. happening now in the west as well. As Bill Gates put it so succiently.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 10:56
Originally posted by Sparten

Lack of interest in the science amongst the general, populations. happening now in the west as well. As Bill Gates put it so succiently.
That's nonsense: there has never been a society in which the general populace took a very active interest in science. Scientific achievements are always the dominion of an educated elite. Regular people don't really understand science or take much of an interest in it, and that's more or less a constant in human societies.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 18:51
to be honest,it was the fault of the 17th century ottomans.Before that they were the main power of science and tech.But as stated above,they underestimated the achievements in the west and went on an era of luxury and overspending...which eventually brought fall.And as you may know nearly all of the superstitions in islam were invented in that era
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>