Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Popular Falsities in History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popular Falsities in History
    Posted: 29-May-2006 at 13:59
Originally posted by Maharbbal

How nice these clever guys: two lovebirds. 

Room for one more, Marhabal. LOL

-Akolouthos
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 05:59

Another mistake made by the racial ideologues of the neo-nazis in europe and elsewhere is that Christian is the "white-european" faith.

1. "white-european"(Hebrews and other semito hamitic cultures excluded), which is an abusive term might relate to indoeuropean culture, and as far as i know in the origins all the cultures belonging to this group were pagan and polytheist. They were christianised only in A.D
2. The monotheistic beliefs or religions (christian and muslim) were both initiated by two "non-white" (i don't like this term and would rather use Indoeuropean). Christ was a hebrew named Joshuah and Mohammad was an arabian.
3.Anyway this religions now are globalized, and include into them believers from all races and cultures, so they shouldnt be referred as related to some special nation, culture or race. 
Prej heshtjes...!
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 11:21

Here's a picture of Cleopatra and Mark Antony from a Provincial Tetradrachm that I wish I had in my Coin Collection.

She looks Hellenistic to me.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 14:47

Looking at Cleopatra, and remembering the stories, I can't help thinking maybe the artist got something wrong.

However, Antony has a broken nose like me, so he can't have been all bad.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 15:36
Originally posted by gcle2003

Looking at Cleopatra, and remembering the stories, I can't help thinking maybe the artist got something wrong.

However, Antony has a broken nose like me, so he can't have been all bad.

Why is that? Understand that I am not disagreeing, but would be interested to know more.

BTW, sorry about the nose, but it is a sign of character. Boxing? Smile

-Akolouthos
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 16:34
Something that bothers me: Vlad Ţepeş (Vlad the Impaller) = Count Dracula
* I think Bram never ever had any idea of who Vlad Ţepeş was.

Edited by Cezar - 30-May-2006 at 16:34
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 20:08
Originally posted by Arbr Z

Another mistake made by the racial ideologues of the neo-nazis in europe and elsewhere is that Christian is the "white-european" faith.

1. "white-european"(Hebrews and other semito hamitic cultures excluded), which is an abusive term might relate to indoeuropean culture, and as far as i know in the origins all the cultures belonging to this group were pagan and polytheist. They were christianised only in A.D

indoeuropean invasion is a slightly outdated topic since they discovered this usefull thing that is called DNA. Don't use it like that for anything not related to linguistics or religion.
why jews are not white? my dad is a white as one can be and semitic.

2. The monotheistic beliefs or religions (christian and muslim) were both initiated by two "non-white" (i don't like this term and would rather use Indoeuropean). Christ was a hebrew named Joshuah and Mohammad was an arabian.
[/QUOTE]

Be careful using this argument. It has been used over and over again and now far right people have arguments to answer to that. It is a very convinent way to "lose" a debate.

3.Anyway this religions now are globalized, and include into them believers from all races and cultures, so they shouldnt be referred as related to some special nation, culture or race.
[/QUOTE]

Once again be careful. For extrem rightists whether it proves the superiority of the White or it is mere shame that undermen are allowed to worship the same God as them.

M.
I am a free donkey!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 20:23
Originally posted by Cezar

Something that bothers me: Vlad Ţepeş (Vlad the Impaller) = Count Dracula
* I think Bram never ever had any idea of who Vlad Ţepeş was.

Actually, he did know. If you read the book, a chapter is about Dracula's ancestor (Vlad the Impaller).

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 20:44
"Chinese invented gunpowder only used for fireworks"
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 08:28

Right, this thread I find very interesting, especially as it gives rise to many questions, at least for me. I hope you who have posted myths will take the time to answer my questions about them.

Originally posted by Mamikon

Native Americans had no knowledge of the wheel.

I haven't really ever heard anything about whether they had wheels or not, but can you tell me what they used the wheel for and how they made them without metal?

Originally posted by Belisarius

Hernan Cortez conquered the Aztec Empire with 500 Spaniards.

I've read several times that he did, are you referring to the fact that he had native allies in addition to these 500?

Originally posted by Gargoyle

That Jesus was a Christian.

You could argue he was the first Christian, as Muhammed would be the first Muslim.

Nero set Rome on fire.

This is still subject to some degree of uncertainty, no?

Christians were martyred in the Coloseum.

Never? Where do these stories come from?

Originally posted by The Charioteer

Chinese invented gunpowder only used for fireworks.

What did they use it for, other than fireworks? And too what extent?

Edited by Reginmund - 31-May-2006 at 08:29
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 09:48

Jesus was a Jew; born, raised, and died as one. It seems that you are implying that he wasn't.

I also don't fully understand what this "non-white" element has to do with anything. Are you insisting that Jesus was "white." What is the definition of "white" here?

I can tell you that in the U.S., Jesus would not have been considered white by the majority of the population, many who still have nasty anti-semitic beliefs.

Edited by hugoestr - 31-May-2006 at 09:49
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 09:52
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Constantine created the canon of Scripture.

The ecclesiastics at the Council of Nicaea didn't really believe what they decided, they were just (the operative word) trying to gain political power.

The divinity of Christ wasn't widely believed before Nicaea.

-Akolouthos

Taking out the operating word "just", Nicaea was mainly about political power and legitimazing beliefs that were foreign to prior versions of Christianity. :)
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 10:12
Here are a few:

Native Americans--in all of the Americas--didn't know what alcohol was until Europeans came here.

This belief is refuted by a number of pre-columbian myths where alcohol plays a key element of the stories.

John Smith and Pocahontas fell in love and got married... oh, and I am a descendent of them.

I just learned recently that Pocahontas was between 8 and 12 when she met John Smith. They never had a love affair, and they never got married.

Native Americans thought that europeans on horses were man-horse creatures

Deer existed in most of Northern America and there were llamas in South America. Anyone looking at these animals can easily conclude that a horse is some kind of deer/llama. And it is quite obvious that a man is riding it, not part of it :)

Native Americans didn't mind the new British colonies because they have a different concept of private property, don't believe land can be owned, or they have some kind of squatters rights value built into their culture
When Captain Christopher Newport arrived with his three ships, the Chesapeake Indians of the Cape Henry region, drove a landing party back to the ships. Curiosity turned to mistrust and fear quickly as the result of the settlers' misunderstanding of the local situation. About a week after the initial attack, Newport took a small boat up the river on a reconnoitering, get-acquainted mission, stopping at various Indian villages.

It seems that they didn't just let the British set up camp peacefully, after all.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:11
Originally posted by hugoestr

Native Americans didn't mind the new British colonies because they have a different concept of private property, don't believe land can be owned, or they have some kind of squatters rights value built into their culture
When Captain Christopher Newport arrived with his three ships, the Chesapeake Indians of the Cape Henry region, drove a landing party back to the ships. Curiosity turned to mistrust and fear quickly as the result of the settlers' misunderstanding of the local situation. About a week after the initial attack, Newport took a small boat up the river on a reconnoitering, get-acquainted mission, stopping at various Indian villages.

It seems that they didn't just let the British set up camp peacefully, after all.

Exactly. Until disease ravaged the Native Americans of New England, they did not allow the British to build a colony. The Native Americans who allowed the pilgrims to settle only did so because they had been decimated by disease, and hoped the British would prove a useful ally against a neighboring tribe (that was still unaffected by disease).

In fact almost all 'common knowledge' about Native Americans (they didn't have the wheel, didn't know alcohol, they left the environment they're living in untouched, etc.) is false. Most scholars even have started to doubt the theory that Native Americans ended up in America by crossing the Bering Land Bridge in 12.000 BC. Has anybody here read the book 1491 from Charles Mann? If not I definately recommend it.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 31-May-2006 at 11:15
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 14:27
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Originally posted by Arbr Z

indoeuropean invasion is a slightly outdated topic since they discovered this usefull thing that is called DNA. Don't use it like that for anything not related to linguistics or religion.
why jews are not white? my dad is a white as one can be and semitic.

Be careful using this argument. It has been used over and over again and now far right people have arguments to answer to that. It is a very convinent way to "lose" a debate.

[/QUOTE]

Once again be careful. For extrem rightists whether it proves the superiority of the White or it is mere shame that undermen are allowed to worship the same God as them.

M.[/QUOTE]

Maharbahal, I am not saying that the hebraic people are not white. And i dont believe in race supremacy. You probably misunderstood me, but i wrote about mistakes regarding indoeuropean culture (not race) related to semitic culture (hebraic). Of course that the hebraic culture in some oter terms might be considered as well as an european culture, and of course it is. but it is not indoeuropean.
Prej heshtjes...!
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 10:18

I know Mosquito made a thread about this.

The Polish cavalry units during World War II charged themselves into tanks.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 00:18

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Exactly. Until disease ravaged the Native Americans of New England,
they did not allow the British to build a colony. The Native Americans
who allowed the pilgrims to settle only did so because they had been
decimated by disease, and hoped the British would prove a useful ally
against a neighboring tribe (that was still unaffected by disease).

Let's not replace one misconception with another! This is true in many cases, but not in all cases. Some native groups had no problem at all with the earliest settlements - they didn't really impact on them much. A good example is the French colony on Ile Saint Croix, the only problem the Passamaquoddy had with it was that they were worried (with good reason, as it turns out) that the settlers were going to starve to death. Ile Saint Croix had to be abandoned when they nearly did, and the new colony at Port Royal was established - enjoying good relations with the Micmac right up until its charter was revoked and the settlement abandoned (the chief of the Micmac even looked after the structure until the return of the French). The Micmac were also concerned that the settlers didn't have the skills to feed themselves and survive, and spent time instructing them how to fish and hunt. Relations were so good that when Samual Argall attacked Port Royal in 1613, the inhabitants fled and were sheltered by the Micmac. When the Jesuits finally sent 2 missionaries over, they complained to the king because the priest of the colony had baptized the local Micmacs but refused to make them abandon their "paganism". They also wrote disparaging accounts about the Micmac "savages". All this occasioned hostility from the settlers towards the Jesuits, which eventually resulted in the colony's charter being revoked (again!). Port Royal is the first permanent European colony in North America (outside of Mexico, that is); the Puritan pilgrims didn't show up until later.

Natives didn't have any single, unitary response to the appearance of the Europeans. Some tried to chase off the newcomers, others welcomed them as allies against other native groups or as trade partners.

However the myth about allowing colonies due to an abscence of notions about land use is indeed false. In the area where the French arrived, native leaders called sagamos held authority over a defined district and were responsible for the well-being of the families that were present in that district at any given time (groups often wandered from district to district depending on the season or for other reasons). People using that land gave the sagamo gifts which he redistributed to those that needed them (being a sagamo was about prestige, not wealth). But the colonists at Port Royal immediatly seemed to understand this system and basically participated in it, particularly the system of exchange and redistribution, as both givers and receivers.

Edited by edgewaters - 02-Jun-2006 at 00:32
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 06:46
Originally posted by hugoestr

Here are a few:

Native Americans thought that europeans on horses were man-horse creatures

Deer existed in most of Northern America and there were llamas in South America. Anyone looking at these animals can easily conclude that a horse is some kind of deer/llama. And it is quite obvious that a man is riding it, not part of it :)

I heard a myth similar to this, only with just the horses being creatures that would swallow your head whole. I believe your explanation justifies calling this statement false also.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 14:04
The spanish ships of the Armada Invencible was for mediterranean waters Thumbs Down
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 06:38
Afghan nation has never been conquered by anybody
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>