Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sources to Study WWII military strategy and tactics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sources to Study WWII military strategy and tactics
    Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 19:00
I want to learn WWII military strategy and tactics. I would appreciate sources on the web and books.

I have a special interest for sites or books that explain why the given strategies or tactics were successful, and their overall rational behind them.

Thanks
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 16:33

WWII in itself was an amazing period of when minds and machine came together to change the way wars were fought. The type of battle tactic used by the Germans was known as the blitzkrieg.

It started out with bombings from bombers and shellings of artillery on roads, airfields, and jam communications by bombing communication centers (Pictured here are Ju-87s)

Junkers 87 Stuka

Next came the panzers and other tanks who broke down fortifications and front lines of defense (pictured below is a PzKpfw IV Ausf D in Semois on May 12th of 1940.

PzKpfw IV

Then the infantry took positions and pursuing the enemy so enemy cannot put up a formidible defense. Blitzkrieg, meaning "lightning war" meant that speed was the key and this tactic worked very well. The reason is that with Blitz, the Germans could catch their enemy on unawares and quickly defeat them.

Edited by Slickmeister
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 12:14
Thanks! Short, but very informative; the way I like my information.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 22:13

Good Books I've Read and Skimmed:

• Beevor, Antony, Crete:  The Battle and the Resistance
  • -----------------,  The Fall of Berlin.
  • -----------------,  Stalingrad
  • Clark, Alan, Barbarossa.
  • Forty, George, The Reich's Last Gamble.
  • ---------------,  Villers Vocage.
  • Glantz, David M., Before Stalingrad: Barbarossa
  • ------------------,  Battle for Kursk, The.
  • ------------------, The Initial Period of War on the Eastern Front, 22 June-August 1941.
  • ------------------,  Slaughterhouse:  The Encyclopedia on the Eastern Front.  (VERY HANDY!)
  • -------------------, When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler.
  • -------------------  Zhukov's Greatest Defeat:  The Red Army's Epic Disaster in Operation Mars, 1942.
  • Guderian, Heinz, Achtung-Panzer!
  • Guderian, Heinz, Panzer General
  • Manstein, Erich von., Lost Victories
  • McCarthy, Peter, Panzerkrieg:  The Rise and Fall of Hitler's Tank Divisions.
  • Mellenthin, F.W., Panzer Battles
  • Raus, Edhard, Anvil of War
  • Raus, Edhard, Panzers on the Eastern Front
  • Rommel, Manfred (ed.), The Rommel Papers
  • Zhukov, Georgi, General Zhukov's Greatest Battles

Those are just a minimal section - however, that should get any willing historian strated...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 14:17
Some still say it was the repeat of the war in 1870....
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 15:57

Try these:

http://etloh.8m.com/strategy.html

http://www.battlefield.ru

They got good info on many subjects.

Post Reply Post Reply