Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ROME TOTAL WAR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Americanus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROME TOTAL WAR
    Posted: 16-May-2006 at 13:42

Ive been playing this game for about 2 years now and I find it to be one of the best stragety games around does any else have it.

"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 13:58
Yep. It's almost as good as Medieval, but with a lot more flaws.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 12:14
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Yep. It's almost as good as Medieval, but with a lot more flaws.

I agree. Good game, great graphics, still not as good as medieval (at least not as addictive).
Medieval II is now under development! Tongue
I can't wait to smash everyone with the mighty byzantines!
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 13:26
I think Medieval was much more realistic than this game. RTW is still good though.
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 13:48
Actually I think RTw was way more relistic bc you can actually put archers on the walls
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:26
Originally posted by Americanus

Actually I think RTw was way more relistic bc you can actually put archers on the walls

That may be so, but considering the battle scenes I think RTW was meant to be more "arcade" and less strategical.

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:52
Its awsome.
The only game in pc i playSmile
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 21:37
The EB mod and the extra 128MBs of memory have made this game so much more playable for me.
Kudos to all those modders who saved a game with great potential that was poorly implimented in the box.
Arrrgh!!"
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 08:55
I like the more stragetic value of Rome Total war plus the 3d cities and map.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 01:20
What is it you change in the preferences.txt (?) to make RTW battles look like MTW ones, interface wise?
Arrrgh!!"
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 02:28
Isn't Medieval and Rome made by the same software house? I love Rome Total war. I think it's time for the second edition of the game.

Edited by Flipper - 19-May-2006 at 02:29

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Elerosse View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Elerosse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 21:28

great game, though there's some units whom were made out of the air. For example the "legion cavalery", or "Praetorian cavalery".

人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青
- 文天祥
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 22:20
There is an Armenian faction in the game!!! Clap

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 14:16
One of the more fun factions to play, even if you run in to trouble fairly quickly in the strategic game.
Arrrgh!!"
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 16:20
you do? why is that? Parthia and Mithrades
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 07:11
Between rebels, pontus, selucia and eventualy the parthans, and not having very good infantry, eventualy logisitcs takes its toll.
A faction with good heavy infantry can take a good beating, and move onto the next battle. With the Armenians, sure, their cavalry is godly, but there supply of arrows is not infinit, and you need infantry to clean up the enemy's spearmen. After a battle your infantry are trashed and you need them to go back to a city to recharge.
I find that expansion is often slow on the harder levels, and cash sparse, and that tends to put a damp on things.
In the vanilla game the Armenians apparently eventualy get their version of a legionare, but i've never seen one.
Arrrgh!!"
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:19
Originally posted by Cywr

Between rebels, pontus, selucia and eventualy the parthans, and not having very good infantry, eventualy logisitcs takes its toll.
A faction with good heavy infantry can take a good beating, and move onto the next battle. With the Armenians, sure, their cavalry is godly, but there supply of arrows is not infinit, and you need infantry to clean up the enemy's spearmen. After a battle your infantry are trashed and you need them to go back to a city to recharge.
I find that expansion is often slow on the harder levels, and cash sparse, and that tends to put a damp on things.
In the vanilla game the Armenians apparently eventualy get their version of a legionare, but i've never seen one.

The legionarries come after the Marius reform, which is pretty late in the game.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 10:14

As far as i'm concerned RTW is unplayable without a mod, my personal choice is Rome Total Realism, but theres a ton out there that make the game playable.

However there are so many problems with this game that I wouldnt call it the best strategy game, on the contrary, one of the worst, for sheer disappointment and frustration.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 14:12
There are  bugs here and there in the game. but overall the playing exp. and the things you learn are well worth that.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:56
Originally posted by Heraclius

As far as i'm concerned RTW is unplayable without a mod, my personal choice is Rome Total Realism, but theres a ton out there that make the game playable.

However there are so many problems with this game that I wouldnt call it the best strategy game, on the contrary, one of the worst, for sheer disappointment and frustration.

Yes, the mods are the only reason that I play RTW. If it was more realistic, it would be the best strategy game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>