Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous quotes by AE forumers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous quotes by AE forumers
    Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 07:24
This one by Aelfgifu had me going for a while--  

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

The worst, for me: Ethelred the Unready. Name says it all... Complete failure of a king.

- Lost his fleet because one of his own ealdorman used it to go raiding his own lands.
- Did, for several years on end, not manage to actually bring his army in the same part of the country as the invaders, let alone face them.
- And when he did he was smashed, because another of his ealdorman was disloyal, and because he himself had no control over his army. 
- Finally, the people of his country gave themselves willingly over to his opponent, the invader Svein Forkbeard, because they preferred a king who could win battles. Only London did not surrender freely, and only because Ethlered was there at the time... And eventually, they too gave up. He had to flee to his brother in law, Robert of Normandy, and could only return because Svein died.
- Even his wife thought he was hopeless, and had his name removed from her biography (written after he died), referring to him only as 'a certain prince'.

From Best and Worst Commander of Medieval Europe(400-1500) thread:

I don't know which point I found more hilarious, the fact he couldn't get his army to even face the invading vikings or that his wife refers to him as "a certain prince".  The event where one of his own vassals takes his fleet and raids his own territory is just a riot.LOL  Forget about the unfortunate general Mack, he is a hero in comparison.

Edited by Justinian - 21-Oct-2007 at 07:39
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2008 at 12:51
Hebrewtext:

yes everyone can convert to Judaism .

The Khazars still aren't considered "real" jews by many."

what are you talking about ? how can you identify aKazar today at all?

Omaral Hashim:

Well on a history forum you generally aren't refering to today at all.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 14:56
Dolphin:

"I did not have sexual relations with him, in a restroom or elsewhere"
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 14:29
more Omar:

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I'd trust Al-Jassas to jump over the moon before I'd trust Leonardo's opinion on anything related to Islam.
what is really "Algebra"

It's the title of a book. How can you rob the Arabs of credit while you use the Arabic name?

pretty funny.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 19:36
Originally posted by Seko

more Omar:

I'd trust Al-Jassas to jump over the moon before I'd trust Leonardo's opinion on anything related to Islam.
what is really "Algebra"

It's the title of a book. How can you rob the Arabs of credit while you use the Arabic name?

pretty funny.

LOL
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 00:19
Big%20smile
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by Paul

The report was is pretty surpising, it's in the The Daily Torygraph, which is a newspaper for right-wing middle-class housewives, and doesn't blame illegal immigrants for this. It must be the only report they've made this decade which hasn't had illegal immigrants in the headline.
Pure Pauline magic
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 23:23
Originally posted by Seko

more Omar:

what is really "Algebra"

pretty funny.

Well spotted Master Seko. Clap 
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 14:35
Thanks, but my task was easy. Read and enjoy. The brains of that quote is all Omar.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 05:29
Gotta go with another Omar quote, made in reference to a noisome little banned former forumer who apparently has too much time on his hands:

Don't you have anything better to do than create infinite new identities?

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 05-Mar-2008 at 05:31
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 22:34
Originally posted by beorna

.....genes do not have a nationality....

....There are no Thracian speaking potts or Turk speaking potts....

Clapx1.000.000

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2008 at 22:24
"The student is half afraid to meet one of the great philosophers face to face. He feels himself inadequate and thinks he will not understand him. But if he only knew, the great man, just because of his greatness, is much more intelligible than his modern commentator. The simplest student will be able to understand, if not all, yet a very great deal of what Plato said; but hardly anyone can understand some modern books on Platonism." - C.S. Lewis, On the Reading of Old Books
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 17:53
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Where would we be without North?

Originally posted by Parnell

south, probably.

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 18:04
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Where would we be without North?

Originally posted by Parnell

south, probably.

Yeah,  that one made me laugh really hard too, especially considering their admirations for each other.Hug
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 20:56
Yeh that was great - I nominated it for post of the month Thumbs%20Up
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 21:07
I don't know whether to laugh or cry!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 21:15
Since I do not see any famous qoutes by me I suppose that makes me unfamous in the A&E world-

so sad too bad-

It could also mean I haven't said anything worth repeating-

We have all put our foot in our mouth,or maybe computer keys, at one time or another here.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 21:59
"If ya a spambot trying to steal free adspace... ya career here will be a short one."
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 08:32
I have prayed God every day:Protect me from my enemies!Now i do not have friends anymore.Cry

Edited by medenaywe - 08-Jan-2012 at 09:04
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 11:40
Yeah, but at least you now know who's who.  Nothings as upsetting as finding out that a "friend" has been working against you for years.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>