Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Wealthiest Women In The World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Wealthiest Women In The World
    Posted: 11-May-2006 at 23:27

As recently as 2001, the number of women on the top ten list of the most wealthiest people in the world was zero. But then, American Alice Walton became the first woman to hit the top ten list of the worlds wealthiest people in 2001. The only daughter of Sam Walton (Wal-Mart founder) inherited stock holdings upon her fathers demise in 1992. Her estimated net worth was at 18.5 billion. She is joined by her mother, Helen (tied for 7th place and the only two women on the top 10 list). The Walton family (including Alices brothers John, Jim and Robson still control 38% of Wal-Mart and are all among the top 10 richest people in the world).

By 2003, six women were among the top 20 richest people in the world: including Alice and Helen Walton
Lillian Bettencourt (net work $14.5 billion inherited from her fathers company LOreal making her the richest person in France.

Next on the list is Birgit Rausing of Sweden with an estimated $12.9 billion inherited from her late husband, Gad Rausing, who made his fortune in packaging with Tetra Laval, one of the largest packaging companies in Europe.

Last two women in the top 20 are American sisters Barbara Cox Anthony and Anne Cox Chambers (each estimated at $10.3 billion inherited from their late father, James Cox, media mogul.
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 23:31
Interesting. It strikes me they one and all inherited their money from men and were not wholy responsible for it themselves.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 00:34
Originally posted by Mila

Interesting. It strikes me they one and all inherited their money from men and were not wholy responsible for it themselves.

True, but they are still the wealthiest women in the world, even if inherited.
"Morty

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 00:36
I think you will find that among the mega wealthy, inheritance is the rule rather than the exception.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 00:48
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I think you will find that among the mega wealthy, inheritance is the rule rather than the exception.

You're right! Not everyone can make billions (like Bill Gates) in one lifetime without inheriting it.
"Morty

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 08:00
Don't forget about J.K.Rowling, last I heard she was one of the wealthiest around.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 15:38
Originally posted by Balaam

Don't forget about J.K.Rowling, last I heard she was one of the wealthiest around.

You are right, Balaam! According to Forbes, she (along with Oprah Winfrey of the US) are BILLIONAIRESSES!!! They both grew up with nothing and made it to the top! Congrats to both of them.    Two very powerful women!
"Morty

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 16:44
You celebrate someone being a disiple of mammon in your post. Then quote Emmeline Pankhurst in your signature.

Do you think she's turning in her grave? Smile

Edited by Paul - 29-Jan-2007 at 16:44
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 02:32

Ah the joys of a vast unearned fortune.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 07:57
You know... Sometimes I wish I was stupid and rich, 'cause life would be so much simpler.

But then I see Paris Hilton on the telly, and I am so grateful that I am smart and poor instead... Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 14:04
Originally posted by Paul

Do you think she's turning in her grave?

I certainly hope so! Anything to stir up the dead!
"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 14:17
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

You know... Sometimes I wish I was stupid and rich, 'cause life would be so much simpler.

But then I see Paris Hilton on the telly, and I am so grateful that I am smart and poor instead... Wink

Well, Winfrey and Rawlings are by no means stupid. They worked hard to get where they are today and I'm proud of them for that! Paris Hilton may be stupid, but she's laughing all the way to the bank!
"Morty

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:32
True, I have deep respect for people like Oprah. But how much money do you need? Enough to live comfortably, and the rest is just bonus.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 17:38
What about Oprah she's pretty rich wouldn't you say?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 15:42

True, I have deep respect for people like Oprah. But how much money do you need? Enough to live comfortably, and the rest is just bonus.

Oprah has been very generous with her money. She's given thousands of cars away, she's always giving free things to her studio audiences, and she just recently spent 50 million US dollars in constructing a school in Africa. I just recently read an article about that and it stated that when asked why she constructed a school in Africa rather than in the U.S., she replied that the children in Africa asked for uniforms and books -- but the US kids asked for iPods and computers and Nike sneakers (rather spoiled)! She opted for the kids who were most needy and humble.

Edited by morticia - 31-Jan-2007 at 15:44
"Morty

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by morticia

Oprah has been very generous with her money. She's given thousands of cars away, she's always giving free things to her studio audiences, and she just recently spent 50 million US dollars in constructing a school in Africa. I just recently read an article about that and it stated that when asked why she constructed a school in Africa rather than in the U.S., she replied that the children in Africa asked for uniforms and books -- but the US kids asked for iPods and computers and Nike sneakers (rather spoiled)! She opted for the kids who were most needy and humble.

ClapClapClap indeed Oprah is a verry nice Lady
ClapClap
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 06:50
Please don't misunderstand me. I did not mean that I think people like Oprah shouldn't have so much money. They earned it, it't theirs to do with as they want, and if they give it to charity, so much the better!

I meant that for me, I could live quite happily without being that rich, as I think most people can.

I think charity is becoming more and more popular amongst the rich. Pieter Geelen, a man who became a multi-billionaire with TomTom car-navigation systems recently gave a hundred million to a foundation which is to help children get schooling, preserve nature and fight Lepra. And I have heard that most of Bill Gates fortune is bound for charity when he dies as well...

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:45

Please don't misunderstand me. I did not mean that I think people like Oprah shouldn't have so much money. They earned it, it't theirs to do with as they want, and if they give it to charity, so much the better!

I meant that for me, I could live quite happily without being that rich, as I think most people can.

I think charity is becoming more and more popular amongst the rich. Pieter Geelen,a man who became a multi-billionairewith TomTomcar-navigationsystems recently gave a hundred million to a foundation which is to help children get schooling, preserve nature and fight Lepra. And I have heard that most of Bill Gates fortune is bound for charity when he dies as well...

I know exactly what you mean, Aelfgifu. It doesn't take much money to survive and be happy in this crazy world. However, I'm glad to see that most of the lucky ones who do make a fortune, find generosity in their hearts to share their wealth with those that are not so fortunate.
"Morty

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:52

Hind Hariri Youngest child of Rafik Hariri . Graduated last June from the Lebanese American University in Beirut. Campaigned for her brother Saad in recent Lebanese elections.Youngest person on Forbes billionaires list,

Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 21:06
whats the total worth of the wal-mart family?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>