Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Special Forces of Modern Armies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Special Forces of Modern Armies
    Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 15:17
It is too hard to tell who is the best.   The formula for creating ultra skilled special forces  was first created by the Brtish and gave rise to the SAS.  Since then, the formula has spread through out the world and many nations have identical forces.

The formula is....

A. Pofessional Officers and Professional NCOS are selectedby their peers for their fitness and intelligence
B.  They go through a very well thought out and very  demanding training program
C. The Special Forces unit is allowed to independently develop tactics, skills, strategies etc.
D. An incredible amount of money is spent on training,  hi tech weapons, and hi tech equipment.   
E.  Institutional knowledge is passed on to the next generation.

The result is SAS, Spetsnaz, Seals, GSG-9, Saryet etc. etc.    

Edited by Cryptic - 24-Aug-2006 at 15:45
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 08:40
i read that spetnaz are more like crack troop/commando's ratther than the SAS or seals spec opps.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 10:34
Originally posted by Leonidas

i read that spetnaz are more like crack troop/commando's ratther than the SAS or seals spec opps.

I think you are right.  This is probably because the Russians don't have enough money for part D of the "formula".   At one time, Seal Team 6 alone was shooting more pistol ammunition that the entire U.S. Marine Corps.  Then add the expense of the daily /nightly helicopter and aircraft usage, travel to training sites etc. etc.

Edited by Cryptic - 25-Aug-2006 at 11:26
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 00:49
they hold a competetion every year to find out who is the best already.havent you heard?( i am serious )
 1.vehicle rescue
  2.defusing a bomb
  3.navigation
  4.etc.

last two years Red Berets of Turkish Army won :).they are the best
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 19:28
spetnez and sas.that it. every thing elese sucks.other countries just copied the british and germans
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by gerghoi zukuf

spetnez and sas.that it. every thing elese sucks.other countries just copied the british and germans

Umm, Spetnatz is Russian...

Not only that but the German SF has generally been weak. Skorzenys men were good but based around a charismatic figure  (like the British Chindits). The Brandenburgers ended up often being wasted as bog standard infantry on the Eastern front. America however has a long history of SF such as Rangers, Merills Marauders, OSS Detatchment 101, Marine Raiders, Amphibious Scouts....
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 12:13
    My opinion is that the best special forces in the world are russian and especially VYMPEL and ALPHA.For the statistic i will say that alpha losses are only 7 since their creation and for vympel i dont know,there are no reports.My arguments are many.They are very tough,dont rely on modern advanced systems and technologies and they get used to poor life and lack of resources.Most of their recruits are childrens who are trained during their whole life.The fact that every man from these forces can shoot with AK perfectly(it is very unaccurate weapon)only shows their skills.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 05:19
desimir ive never heard of them. can you post a link?would like to know more.Smile
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 16:14
    http://english.pravda.ru/russia/politics/20-08-2004/6631-alpha-0
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 16:15
There is more in Wikipedia
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 09:36
U guys seen the serbian SAJ they are pretty good
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 09:40
True desimir i agree with you nobody can match the ALPHA brigade, but sadly they only work within russias borders. However there is VIMPEL in the other case, for carrying out opperations outside russias borders. In my oppinion and just as many bulgarians see it ALPHA and VIMPEL are the worlds most elite fighting forces.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 10:51
Before bulgarian special forces GRANIT were one of the best in the world.Its a pity that they dont exist anymore.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 12:52
Originally posted by tsar

U guys seen the serbian SAJ they are pretty good

Never heard of them.

Knowing the serbian military tradition, let me take a guess..... mafia controled bunch of local bullys armed to the theet riding around in black Mercedes G class and looking realy tough?

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 01:02
Hizbolla as an arm of thr iranian army ? Would they qualify? Surely they are very efficient.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 16:21
Originally posted by Desimir

My opinion is that the best special forces in the world are russian and especially VYMPEL and ALPHA.For the statistic i will say that alpha losses are only 7 since their creation and for vympel i dont know,there are no reports.My arguments are many.They are very tough,dont rely on modern advanced systems and technologies and they get used to poor life and lack of resources.Most of their recruits are childrens who are trained during their whole life.The fact that every man from these forces can shoot with AK perfectly(it is very unaccurate weapon)only shows their skills.

But...

1. Check other units losses. They too are small. Then compare what eneies they fought, for what length of time, where, how etc.
2. Not relying on modern technologies is something other units can. Just thinking of a populist example but look at the SAS in Gulf War 1- they used little tech and were incredibly successful. However almost all SF units use modern equipment because its benefical to them. Spetnatz dont use it because they dont have the funds.
3. Many SF come from tough backrounds too. I'm not sure about "trained...their whole life" though. As far as I know they do conscription and then sign up, they arent trained from say age 12.
4. Other forces dont use AK's (or have and had similar accuracy) because there is better equipment. If it saves lives and does the job better they use it.

You also have to look at their opponents, the backround, political situation, flexibility (for example Spetnatz do not have a glorious history when it comes to hostage situations) etc.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 05:36
Originally posted by Dampier

You also have to look at their opponents, the backround, political situation, flexibility (for example Spetnatz do not have a glorious history when it comes to hostage situations) etc.

Russians have diferent approach when it come to hostage situation. For them it's like "Kill them all, and let God sort them out" and that includes the hostages.

Only them would decide to atack the theathere full of hostages and chechen terorists with never tested gas, or to start a fire fight with terorist hiding inside the school and threathing to blow it up... ClapClapClap
Clap
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 09:24
actaully i dont think they started the beslan fire fight, it was simply chaotic and the locals with guns started get involved and take shots. There didnt even make a proper cordoned of area which they would control the situation, absolutly shameful.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 10:02
IMO Australian SAS is the best and I quite like SEAL Team Six and Germanys GSG-9 (is it actually a spec force or just a CT of their police cause I can't remember)
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 14:43
I have read that in 1970's 3000 spetnaz were deployed in the border of Pakistan.300 Pakistani commando plus 500 mujaheeden beats the spetnaz force in 27 days.have you heard about that?
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>