Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval 2 is coming!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval 2 is coming!
    Posted: 09-May-2006 at 16:44

oh yes and look at the screens...supposedly as the units get more experienced they get moreworn and blood splattered.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149025&pid= 931592

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:37

I know, this looks AWESOME!  Before there was any sign of a MTW 2, when Total War: Rome came out I told other people I know who play the game that Activision should re-make MTW in Rome's graphics and using its engine.  When I saw that my wish was going to come true, I was very happy!

It is cool that the gameplay will be even more realistic, with the blood and extra detail on the military units.  I also heard that the timeframe of the game is extended to 1500 and includes more elements of the Renaissance.  It will be great to be the Byzantines past 1453 and take over Western Europe in revenge over 1204!

Tobodai:  Is this screenshot of Byzantine cataphracts?  It kind of looks like it, either cataphracts or Persian/Arab heavy cavalry.  I wonder what new Byzantine units will be available in MTW 2?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:50
It looks so good you want to forgive them.
Will it be much more demanding than RTW?
Arrrgh!!"
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 21:35
Hopefully I will have upgraded by then.

Its petty but it would be great if the final product has stirrups.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 05:08
MTW2 Video trailer
LINK

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 11:44
Looks nice. I heard they are making a Bohemian civ. Nice post Tobodai.

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 13:16

Must say it looks fantastic...Just have to get myself a computer that can handle it. Loved the first and no doubt I'll love this too, great series.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 21:31
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I know, this looks AWESOME!  Before there was any sign of a MTW 2, when Total War: Rome came out I told other people I know who play the game that Activision should re-make MTW in Rome's graphics and using its engine.  When I saw that my wish was going to come true, I was very happy!

It is cool that the gameplay will be even more realistic, with the blood and extra detail on the military units.  I also heard that the timeframe of the game is extended to 1500 and includes more elements of the Renaissance.  It will be great to be the Byzantines past 1453 and take over Western Europe in revenge over 1204!

Tobodai:  Is this screenshot of Byzantine cataphracts?  It kind of looks like it, either cataphracts or Persian/Arab heavy cavalry.  I wonder what new Byzantine units will be available in MTW 2?

I would guess the units in that pic are either Iranian or Turkish from what I know ( I love my central asian cavalry) but I have no faction info.  I do however know that the time era is something like 1050-1530 (INCLUDING AZTECS!) therfore given that frame I would assume Byzantium is there.

And yes, I too wished for more medieval over that sandal wearing classical stuff since the armor is so much cooler esepcially in 3D but now for our waiting it seems we shall get a more finished product than RTW.

-Alexander Hamilton
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 21:59

Originally posted by Tobodai

I would guess the units in that pic are either Iranian or Turkish from what I know ( I love my central asian cavalry) but I have no faction info.  I do however know that the time era is something like 1050-1530 (INCLUDING AZTECS!) therfore given that frame I would assume Byzantium is there.

Yes, I think they are.  I looked at the new screenshots on totalwar.com and these units had a crescent flag next to them.  Did you notice that some of the units have more advanced armor, while others do not have certain pieces of the panoply, like a chainmail mask and full segmented breast plate?  This must be an example of the more random and realistic look of the updated game.

Since MTW 2 starts at 1050, and presumably has all the original factions, the Byzantines will be there.  They were still a force to be reckoned with; besides, it will be so fun to re-write history with a powerful 15th century Byzantine Empire!  Imagine the ramifications of Byzantium extending its influence into the New World and coming into contact with the Aztecs!

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 02:49
Portugal, Spain, France, England, Scotland, Holy Roman Empire, Papal State, Milan, Venice, Sicily, Denmark, Poland, Russia, Hungary, Byzantium, Turks, Egypt, Moors, Mongols, Timurids, Azteks.
These will be 21 playable factions in mtw2. They might raise the faction number to 30.
But it seems the me that MTW2 will be another Western Euro-centric game. Only three  muslim faction -> well this is  spit in to medieval history, because they avoid most advanced regions and states, which were Muslim ones.
Ottoman Empire is not the same as Seljuk Empire.
There should be also Abbasid caliphate.
And if they include Timurids from Central asia, than there should be also Khwariz Empire and other powerful states.
And that the hell is mysterious faction named Russia ???
Russia didnt exist in medieval times so as Spain.

Total Western Euro centric

Edited by axeman
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 03:00
I looked on totalwar.com and it looks very sweet indeed. I saw the picture of the Byzantine kataphraktoi and also trebizond archers, the description of the trebizond archer is exactly the same as in the original Medieval TW. My only hope is that they are introducing some original and useful Byzantine units, and not simply grafted the mediocre Byzantine army from Medieval 1 onto Med 2 with better graphics being the only improvement.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 08:02
WTF, Spain and no Aragon?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:42

VENICE?????? TIMURIDS????? MONGOLS?????

I am on my way to become the love slave of the development team of this game!!!!!! This is THE game I always wanted.  I can be invading people by sea with my most serene republic in one game while building pyramids of human heads in another.......Timurid cataphracts

-Alexander Hamilton
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 17:17
At last they decided to add Milan and Venice in the list.When i was playing MTW,i found very funny the whole situation,having the Venetians and the lombards in the same faction
But while they corrected the historical inaccuracy on the Italian peninsula,it seems that they did the opposite thing on the Iberian peninsula.They may have added Potugal but as Frederick Roger pointed out,where is the kingdom of Aragon and why did they remove the catalans from the playable factions and from the game in general?
I also expect that in MTW2 there will be more detailed units for the Byzantines not just Byzantine infantry, spearmen and cataphracts.
Constantine XI do you tthink that the trebizond archers ever existed in reality as a special unit?There may have been naturally archers from Trebizond but where they a special unit in the Byzantine army?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 19:09

Originally posted by Constantine XI

My only hope is that they are introducing some original and useful Byzantine units, and not simply grafted the mediocre Byzantine army from Medieval 1 onto Med 2 with better graphics being the only improvement.

Yes, I agree.  It wouldn't make sense just to "graft" over certain civilizations and totally revamp others.  This seems like a totally new edition of MTW, not just an expansion pack for Viking Invasion.  Constantine XI, what are some units you think they might add to the Byzantine military?

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

I also expect that in MTW2 there will be more detailed units for the Byzantines not just Byzantine infantry, spearmen and cataphracts.
Constantine XI do you tthink that the trebizond archers ever existed in reality as a special unit?There may have been naturally archers from Trebizond but where they a special unit in the Byzantine army?

I don't recall there being a specific Trapezuntine foot-archer contingent in the Byzantine army at any time.  At least, they weren't called by their place of origin, like most of the late Byzantine army units were (they were named after their administrative theme).  There were Paphlagonian soldiers from the Optimaton Theme, which is near Trebizond, but I am not sure if they had a specialized function.  What little we know about the Trapezuntine army in the late period seems to indicate that it was made up largely of light-armed mounted archers.  They were heavily influenced in this respect by the Turkish and Mongol tribes that lived around them.

I am trying to think of some possible additions to the Byzantine army...hmmm.  Perhaps they might include the klibanophoroi, which were heavily-armored cavalry, but they actually preceded the kataphraktoi and would probably be out of the time frame of MTW 2.  They should update what they called the pronoiai allagion and rename it megala allagion, which was the proper term.  The pronoiar cavalry should be a separate unit.  It would be interesting to see in the game the Byzantines have a special ability to hire mercenaries from all over the map, especially from Italian/French and Turkish territories!  Any other thoughts?

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:09
Speaking of Milan, there should be a Leisure Suit Larry type of game...The Visconti's.  Your task is to gain a higher score than the other players by being t emost debauched of them all.
-Alexander Hamilton
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 17:03

I don't recall there being a specific Trapezuntine foot-archer contingent in the Byzantine army at any time.  At least, they weren't called by their place of origin, like most of the late Byzantine army units were (they were named after their administrative theme).  There were Paphlagonian soldiers from the Optimaton Theme, which is near Trebizond, but I am not sure if they had a specialized function.  What little we know about the Trapezuntine army in the late period seems to indicate that it was made up largely of light-armed mounted archers.  They were heavily influenced in this respect by the Turkish and Mongol tribes that lived around them.

I am trying to think of some possible additions to the Byzantine army...hmmm.  Perhaps they might include the klibanophoroi, which were heavily-armored cavalry, but they actually preceded the kataphraktoi and would probably be out of the time frame of MTW 2.  They should update what they called the pronoiai allagion and rename it megala allagion, which was the proper term.  The pronoiar cavalry should be a separate unit.  It would be interesting to see in the game the Byzantines have a special ability to hire mercenaries from all over the map, especially from Italian/French and Turkish territories!  Any other thoughts?

So the Trebizond archers are just another inaccuracy of MTW.I am curious though to now how did they come up with the idea of creating a unit of archers from Trebizond and not let's say from Cappadocia or from the sklaviniai of the Balkans.Anyway,thank you  Byzantine Emperor for your answer .

The Byzantine army units in my opinion in MTW were made with very little detail,while the western factions had many different types of infantry.
I think the clibanophoroi have been added to the Barbarian Invasion expansion of Rome as heavily armoured cavalry unit of the eastern Roman Empire.
I would suggest as infantry units the skoutatoi carrying  very large shields,the menavlatoi as first class spearmen able to repel a cavalry charge,the varangian guard of course as elite unit,mourtatoi archers(of mixed greco-turkish origin), akritai-lightly armed cavalry able also to dismount(armed with javelins,maces,swords),horse archers from the themata of Anatolia,vlach units recruited from the balkans armed with spears and axes(bonus in guerilla warfare),Cumans from the Balkans etc.
The mercenaries could be as you stated french/Italians but also Hungarians and Normans and also turkish horse archers.
There is a modification on RTW on which some people are working and they have created many interesting units for the Byzantines.For more info,click here

Edited by RomiosArktos
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 20:06

I would suggest as infantry units the skoutatoi carrying  very large shields

These could replace the generalized "Spearmen" infantry unit that all the factions had, for the Byzantines.

I thought the "Byzantine Infantry" always looked rather weak in terms of detail and design.  The triangular shield and possibly the scimitar (although I do not think all Byzantine infantry carried the weapon) were accurate, but the soldier's uniform and armor was not.  Since MTW2 will be paying more attention to detail, the infantry should be modelled after some of the late (14th-15th c.) Byzantine warrior saint iconography - circular shields, lamellar armor, classical Roman-influenced breast plates and skirts.

the menavlatoi as first class spearmen able to repel a cavalry charge,the varangian guard of course as elite unit,mourtatoi archers(of mixed greco-turkish origin)

Yes, this is a good idea; the Menavlatoi archers could replace the Trapezuntine foot archers.  If they wanted to include units from Trebizond, they could model some horse archers after the ones depicted in the renaissance painting of the siege of Trebizond. These could replace the generalized "Byzantine Archer" horse archers of the first game.

Speaking of mixed race units, I can't believe the MTW1 forgot the Torkopoloi!  They should be included in 2 as light cavalry, replacing for the Byzantines the ambiguous Alan Mercenary Cavalry that every faction had available.  Your suggestion of Cuman cavalry is very good - they were an integral part of both the Nicaean army and Michael VIII's army.

What about heavy cavalry?  There should be another unit besides the kataphraktoi.  I suggest the kavallarioi, Latin knights (some with pronoia) from the Crusader States and Frankish Greece.  They were very important to the late Nicean army and definitely to Michael VIII and Andronikos II Palaiologos.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:15
hype hype hpye. oh no, the game sucks despte brilliant graphic Cry same old story....and from the features list its exactly the same as old medieval anyways. i bet the AI will suck again. who told you this game will be more polished than Rome? just because they included Timurids will not mean I will get this, the Islamic factions will be underpowered again anyways, with dozens of almost identical european factions to play. and then they've included Aztecs who are not even medieval instead of including more of contemporary Asia. pathetic show. again.

So the Trebizond archers are just another inaccuracy of MTW.I am curious though to now how did they come up with the idea of creating a unit of archers from Trebizond and not let's say from Cappadocia or from the sklaviniai of the Balkans.Anyway,thank you  Byzantine Emperor for your answer .

they were not made up, CA just got it all wrong. they used as reference the Osprey Elite book on the Crusades by D. Nicolle who has on one page about Cilician Armenia as Crusader state, this plate also has an "archer from Trebizont", meaning a foot archer from the Trebizont Empire. however CA carelessly included the archer as sort of an byzantien elite unit....but the byzantines in MTW are completely messed anyways...

Speaking of mixed race units, I can't believe the MTW1 forgot the Torkopoloi!

there were Turkopoles in MTW....
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 12:15

There is a modification on RTW on which some people are working and they have created many interesting units for the Byzantines.For more info,click here

Romios, how did you find this forum?  I have never seen it before and I have done some exstensive searching for Byzantine stuff online!

After looking through it some, it seems like it is devoted mainly to MTW mods.  There is a lot of discussion on Byzantium and its military, but within the context of MTW.  Do they also welcome general discussion on Byzantium and its army?

Originally posted by Temujin

there were Turkopoles in MTW....

I haven't played in a while because my present computer lacks a good video card that will handle the game, but now that you mention it, I vaguely remember them.  They were really nondescript though; basically very similar to the "Alan cavalry" only with bows?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>