Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R:TW - Europa Barborum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R:TW - Europa Barborum
    Posted: 04-May-2006 at 07:42
Or however its spelt.

Its still technicly in development, but so far its looking like it could be the best RTW total make over out there.
It started as a mod to make the Barbarian factions less dull and cliche, and more historicly accurate, hence the name, but has since progressed into a total make over.
The map is expanded, featuring the Indus and a much larger extent of the Nile valley, there are some 200+ provinces.
Slight changes to factions, there are now two gaul factions as well as the Britons, and a central Asian faction, but the Nubians and i think one of the Balkan barbarians have gotten the chop.
Game play is rather different, as there are now four turns (seasons) per year, with winter having reduced movement points.
Also you now have to build government buildings in your newly aquired provinces, the most advanced of which can take some time to build.
Altogether the pace and feel of the game is different.

So, anyone tried it?

I got some more RAM so the game is suddenly much more playable, its amazing how much difference a mere 128mb of RAM can make.
Arrrgh!!"
Bulgarian Soldja View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bulgarian Soldja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:53
Byzantium TW .... the guys that are developing it have done some pretty accurate research on the units ..... especially on the bulgarians
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 22:38
The best one is Rome: Total Realism.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:56
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

The best one is Rome: Total Realism.

In so far as its fairly complete, its the best made. But gameplay lacks compared to EB i find. Towns max out quicker in TR than in EB, and much of the game feels duller once you've expanded beyond a certain point.

Have you tried EB? I suppose i should post a link.

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Its still in Beta, so if you discover exotic bugs or have good ideas for changes, post them in the forums.
Arrrgh!!"
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:12
I probably won't try it due to having to lose 3 nights sleep to download RTR on my slow dial-up connection. Still, I heard EB has some crazy units like Camel Chariorts.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 04:12
Originally posted by Cywr

Or however its spelt.

Its still technicly in development, but so far its looking like it could be the best RTW total make over out there.
It started as a mod to make the Barbarian factions less dull and cliche, and more historicly accurate, hence the name, but has since progressed into a total make over.
The map is expanded, featuring the Indus and a much larger extent of the Nile valley, there are some 200+ provinces.
Slight changes to factions, there are now two gaul factions as well as the Britons, and a central Asian faction, but the Nubians and i think one of the Balkan barbarians have gotten the chop.
Game play is rather different, as there are now four turns (seasons) per year, with winter having reduced movement points.
Also you now have to build government buildings in your newly aquired provinces, the most advanced of which can take some time to build.
Altogether the pace and feel of the game is different.

So, anyone tried it?

I got some more RAM so the game is suddenly much more playable, its amazing how much difference a mere 128mb of RAM can make.

Indeed Europa Barabarorum is the best and the most complicated and advanced mod for Rome: Total War.
It contains many new scripts (improved gameplay), so you should get extra RAM if you want to see and browse 3D campaign map smooth.

The building system is woderful, for example they try to make nomadic factions to look and work as truly nomadic (check the buildings and their bonuses).
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 13:55
When I downloaded EB I found that all the factions were in crazy amounts of debt, every city losing thousands of denarii from the start. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled RTR, having a blast as Macedon.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:51
Debt, hmm, never had that, money is tight in the begining, but that just forces you to chose your piorities, which is good.

The drawback of it being a beta is its hard to tell whats intended and whats a bug. I just captured, hmm, basicly the province in the most north-west psrt of Italy, and there is niether a homeland or expansion government resource there, so i can only build a 3 or 4 level government, which seems odd as next door are homeland italian provinces where i can build level one.
I think its  bug.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply