Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
Author
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Empires
    Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 10:47
Originally posted by pinguin

Now, for the British to be considered "great", I doubt it.  

Great in terms of exploitation, in every way possible.Wink

Edited by Kapikulu - 24-Mar-2007 at 10:49
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 11:20
Originally posted by Praetor

the legacy of the "short lived" british empire is enormous and you would do well to recognise it Pinguin as it is probably all around you.

Don't forget English people were the former enemies of my ancestors LOL.

And don't forget English spread the Black legend of Spain, and made a cartoon of Catholic culture, so we learn that tactic too Big%20smile

Now, seeing in perspective I would say the British Empire was important and short lived. I would not say "great".

The Empire is death, long life to the current Empire LOL

Pinguin

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:11

Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Also, what I was aiming to say is that there was no concept of a "Portuguese Empire" in Portugal before the 19th century*, like there was for other countries - there was only the Kingdom of Portugal and overseas possessions. The sovereigns of Portugal never styled themselves "Emperor".
Actually that is also true of the British 'Empire', which never legally existed. The King(Queen) of England, etc. also became Emperor/Empress of India after 1876, but that, technically, was a continuation of the existing indian (Moghul) Empire with simply a change of dynasty.

The rest were simply the King's (Queen's) dominions.

Incidentally, didn't the kings of Portugal similarly style themselves Emperors of Brazil? (I may be wrong there, you'll know better than me.)

Edited by gcle2003 - 24-Mar-2007 at 14:14
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:23
Originally posted by Crusader3943

I think that the greatest was the Holy Roman Empire.

Why? None of the three words apply.Tongue
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:32
Originally posted by gcle2003

Also, what I was aiming to say is that there was no concept of a "Portuguese Empire" in Portugal before the 19th century*, like there was for other countries - there was only the Kingdom of Portugal and overseas possessions. The sovereigns of Portugal never styled themselves "Emperor".
Actually that is also true of the British 'Empire', which never legally existed. The King(Queen) of England, etc. also became Emperor/Empress of India after 1876, but that, technically, was a continuation of the existing indian (Moghul) Empire with simply a change of dynasty.

Incidentally, didn't the kings of Portugal similarly style themselves Emperors of Brazil? (I may be wrong there, you'll know better than me.)

Not quite. Brasil was a colony with several regional divisions (capitanias) whose governors responded directly to the King.
Brasil was elevated to the category of Kingdom jointly with Portugal (the short-lived United Kingdom of Portugal, Brasil and Algarve) when the royal family, nobility and government officials "moved" Lisbon to Rio at the time of the Napoleonic wars and invasion of Portugal. When the capital was to be transfered again to Lisbon, prince-heir Pedro decreted the independence of Brasil and proclaimed himself emperor, in a manouvre aimed at keeping Brasil, which was close to rebelion after loosing its status, under Bragana hands.
When Pedro took the throne of Portugal as Pedro IV, he was compeled against his will to abdicate his imperial title to his son (Emperor Pedro II). That was the closest thing to a portuguese monarch styling himself King of Portugal and Emperor of Brasil. 

Edited by Frederick Roger - 24-Mar-2007 at 14:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 01:03
Originally posted by red clay

Why? None of the three words apply.Tongue

LOL

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 15:22

Originally posted by gcle2003

Not quite. Brasil was a colony with several regional divisions (capitanias) whose governors responded directly to the King.
Brasil was elevated to the category of Kingdom jointly with Portugal (the short-lived United Kingdom of Portugal, Brasil and Algarve) when the royal family, nobility and government officials "moved" Lisbon to Rio at the time of the Napoleonic wars and invasion of Portugal. When the capital was to be transfered again to Lisbon, prince-heir Pedro decreted the independence of Brasil and proclaimed himself emperor, in a manouvre aimed at keeping Brasil, which was close to rebelion after loosing its status, under Bragana hands.
When Pedro took the throne of Portugal as Pedro IV, he was compeled against his will to abdicate his imperial title to his son (Emperor Pedro II). That was the closest thing to a portuguese monarch styling himself King of Portugal and Emperor of Brasil. 

Many thanks for the clarification. I hope you have less trouble with all our Georges than I do with all those Pedros Smile
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 04:09
Originally posted by pinguin

Don't forget English people were the former enemies of my ancestors LOL.

And don't forget English spread the Black legend of Spain, and made a cartoon of Catholic culture, so we learn that tactic too Big%20smile

Now, seeing in perspective I would say the British Empire was important and short lived. I would not say "great".

The Empire is death, long life to the current Empire LOL

Pinguin

Pinguin, I fail to see how the English being 'enemies of your ancestors' has anything to do with their influence or greatness. Furthermore, all empires have enemies. As for the black legend and the cartoon you mentioned, all empires also endevour to spread propaganda against their enemies/rivals - Spain included!
So I can assure you, you did not learn that from the British.

In terms of power at its hieght and influence on history ("the current Empire" is but a splinter kingdom of the British empire (mind you its grown since then)) the British empire can easily be considered great, whether that  influence has been predominantly positive  or negative is really the only debate in regards to its "greatness".

Edited by Praetor - 26-Mar-2007 at 04:10
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 05:37
however they were also the first to outlaw slavery
Technically speaking it is wrong as the French banned it first (but re-installed it rapidly) and the Danes did outlaw it in the early 19th century. Not mentionning that slavery (under this name) was still practiced and reported as such with a positive note in 1907 in Ghana (cf Gareth Austin articles).

they also started the Industrial revolution
it also can be discussed. Actually, it is more likely that the real IR started in the US aroud 1850 (see Greg Clark's book: Farwell to Alms part 1 and 2).

the legacy of the "short lived" british empire is enormous
that is unfortunately undenyable

you would do well to recognise it Pinguin as it is probably all around you.
Or they'll come back to invade Chile!

I am a free donkey!
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 08:33
Originally posted by Maharbbal

however they were also the first to outlaw slavery
Technically speaking it is wrong as the French banned it first (but re-installed it rapidly) and the Danes did outlaw it in the early 19th century. Not mentionning that slavery (under this name) was still practiced and reported as such with a positive note in 1907 in Ghana (cf Gareth Austin articles).

I am not well versed in this period and you are right they were not the first but one of the first and the most important as France's ban on slavery is of little significance because they quickly reinstalled it as you said. It also took quite a long time for slavery to be abolished in practice and not just in theory across the whole vast empire.

they also started the Industrial revolution
it also can be discussed. Actually, it is more likely that the real IR started in the US aroud 1850 (see Greg Clark's book: Farwell to Alms part 1 and 2).

to be blunt 1850 is when the so called "second industrial revolution" started (approximately) which grew out of the prior Industrial revolution which began in Britain.

the legacy of the "short lived" british empire is enormous
that is unfortunately undenyable

you would do well to recognise it Pinguin as it is probably all around you.
Or they'll come back to invade Chile!

Finaly I would like to clarify that the British empire is niether my favourite empire nor in my opinion the greatest empire in history, I merely found Pinguins argument weak to say the least and I find it odd that the british empire is judged by different standards to the others empires mentioned.

Regards, Praetor

Edited by Praetor - 27-Mar-2007 at 08:35
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 17:19
1.British Empire
2.Chinese Empire
3.Ottoman Empire
4.Eastern Roman Empire
5.Mongol Empire
Hulegu Han View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hulegu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 04:12
I partially agree with you. British had influence on all over the world until beginning of 20th cetury like today's USA. Below is my list,
1. British Empire
2. Greek or Macedonian Empire
3. Roman Empire
4. Mongol Empire
5. Chinese Empire
6. Ottoman Empire
7. Islamic Empire
8. Russian Empire
9. French Empire (since 1600s) 
10. Spanish Empire 

Edited by Hulegu Han - 10-Apr-2007 at 04:14
karajoz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote karajoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 08:04
iam agree with this list.

about the ottoman empire, isn it that they were famous for beeing the biggest destroyers in history?
if you have a look in the past. nothing from the old greek, byzantineplaces are still remaning in the modern turkey.
and the turks were not really really ruling over the conquerd lands, they had a minority power and left most places without any signs of there presence.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 01:38
Why not Great Han Dynasty and Great Tang Dynasty were listed

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 01:46

Is it true that the site that held the tombs of Roman Emperor Justinian The Great, and later, the Tomb of Sultan Mehmed ll, destroyed by the Ottomans?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 02:02
If world history had no the part of chinese history, it would be not itself.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 19:09
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

Originally posted by OguzK

Ottoman Empire is best
Gokturk Empire
Hun Empire(Asia, Europe)
Khazar Empire

Thumbs%20Down
why thumb down< Ottomans were the longest 623 years yea!!!!!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 19:21

LOL
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 09:22
Originally posted by Penelope

Is it true that the site that held the tombs of Roman Emperor Justinian The Great, and later, the Tomb of Sultan Mehmed ll, destroyed by the Ottomans?

im not sure if i understand what your question is, but if the second half of your question is asking if the tomb of mehmed II was destroyed by the ottomans then i can tell you that last december i visited mehmeds II tomb, and its just fine. i must have misunderstood your question because its highly unlikely the ottomans would destroy the tomb of their most revered leader.
although in the 19th century, it was destroyed by an earthquake, but subsequently rebuilt.

i dono about justin the great's tomb, but the ottomans held the romans and byzantines in great esteem, and they did everything they could to preserve what they had left behind, so i doubt they would have destroyed his tomb. just look at the hagia sophia.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 09:31
Originally posted by karajoz

iam agree with this list.

about the ottoman empire, isn it that they were famous for beeing the biggest destroyers in history?
if you have a look in the past. nothing from the old greek, byzantineplaces are still remaning in the modern turkey.
and the turks were not really really ruling over the conquerd lands, they had a minority power and left most places without any signs of there presence.

yes that is true. i applaud you on your factual and unbias knowledge of history.

that building is called the hagia sophia, and i think the fact that it exists proves your point. nothing left from the byzantine empire exists in turkey indeed.

this bridge is called the stari most, in bosnia. its another example of how "the turks didnt leave any signs of there presence in any places".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>