Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christians in Muslim dominated countries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wondering View Drop Down
  Quote wondering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christians in Muslim dominated countries
    Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 22:38

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4912966.stm

I have been reading about and wondering where the protection for Christians in these countries is and why no one is denouncing this violence.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 04:01

While this is certainly a tragic incident, I wouldn't implicitely suggest that this is a projection of the living conditions of Christians in Muslim countries.

I don't see the news discussing the reason behind the hate-crimes.  Last week, the daily Al-Ahram published a caricature by a Coptic Egyptian mocking the Hijab.  Muslims all across the country were deeply offended and upset.  As secular as they may be, Muslims would not mock the Hijab deliberately, knowing that it would offend millions and pent up anger.  The fact that a Christian had done that in a predominantly Muslim country was quite shocking, especially that the tension has not yet eased after the blasphemous Danish cartoons.

I'm not trying to justify what happened in Alexandria;  I certainly believe that the culprits should be punished, and that the government should make an example out of them, but reporting such news without exploring the (ill) motives is unfair.

The Egyptian government intervened a number of times when the Coptic community protested the conversion of a few Copts, yet never took action against Muslim conversions to Christianity.

In the UAE, where I'm from, two Churches have been built on government-granted land, using government funds.  All the mosques, however, are waqf, funded by rich individuals, not the government.

Why not talk about the ruling Christian minority in Lebanon or the priviledged "local" Christian community in Kuwait?  News that make Muslims look bad are more favorable to many, I guess.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 10:15
surprisingly, christianity is the fastest growing religion in iran after islam.
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
 Post Reply Post Reply