Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3 questions for Turks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 questions for Turks
    Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 15:59

I would like to ask the Turks of the forum some things.

1. What is the exact meaning of the word "yeni"?

2. What is the exact difference between the words "Yunnan" and "Rum". I believe you used to call Yunnan the Greeks and Rum the Orthodox Christians of the Ottoman Empire - however today you call Rum the Greeks of Turkey. Am I right?

3. What is nearly the cost of a nargele?

Thanks.

merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 16:26

a)yeni means `new`

b)yes you are right.and live in cyprus we call rum

c)nargele???is it nargile???

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 16:46
Don't smoke nargile...One of it equals to 30 cigarettes....
o_irengun View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote o_irengun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 16:52

1-yeni means  new

2-yunan  is the citizen of greece  and  rum is  the  word  for  greek nation

3what kind of  nargile  you ca  find a nargile for  10 euro or 1000  euro

Mkremin Basaran ;mit Balkan ;Cihan Bayik ;Murat Tutal ;Adem gl ;Fatih Erer
killed 5 April 2006
We are never going to forget you!!!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 17:04
So,if i smoke 30 cigarettes and one nargile per day,then i will have cancer in a few years?Guaranteed?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 18:22
Originally posted by Ellinas

I would like to ask the Turks of the forum some things.

1. What is the exact meaning of the word "yeni"?

2. What is the exact difference between the words "Yunnan" and "Rum". I believe you used to call Yunnan the Greeks and Rum the Orthodox Christians of the Ottoman Empire - however today you call Rum the Greeks of Turkey. Am I right?

3. What is nearly the cost of a nargele?

Thanks.

the answer to question 2 is somewhat confusing, i think we call the greeks outside greece "Rum", Greeks from Greece called "Yunan" but also i heard they use "Grek" for Greeks. So many names for a nation
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 06:16

The word Rum refers to Romans which were another name for the Byzantines (eastern Roman Empire), who are Greek (yunanl).

Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 06:19
Rum refers to the Romans, not the greeks, but by the time the Turks showed up the roman empire was gone, all that was left was the  Eastern Roman Empire (Byzans), thus were also called Rums.
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 06:20
shall I write it again?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 06:49

Dear Friend Elinas, A nice hello from Ankara. All my Forum Friends gave you good information. I want to conturbute extra knowledge.

1- Yeni = New

OK!  Yeni is well known in Greece e.g. Yenice (Yesenice) which means  "nearly new" is a place in Greece fomous with its tabacco. There is another Yenice in Greece. "Mora Yenicesi" the Morean Yenice in Peleponnes.  In Teselya there is a city called "Yenischehir" the new city.

Yeni Raki, Yeniceri the Janischary the ottoman soldier, the New Soldier

2-Rum = The Araps under Muhammed got contact with the Romans. In arabic letters they don't use the word "o" they prefer to write "u" So that the Araps called the Romans as "Rumans" In Holy Book Kor'an there is a suura called "Rum" which means "Rom/Rome"  Therefore Turks accepted same definition for Romans. As they came to Anatolia im 1071 Turks fought with East Roman Empire. They called their enemy as "Rum" According to Turks Anatolia was a land of Rum. We called Anatolia "Diyar-i iklim-i Rum" After the conquest of Anatolia by Turks the Turkish Sultan got the name "Sultan-i iklim-i Rum" (Sultan of Rum/Rome country.) The famous Philosopher Mevlana, the grunder of Whirling Derwisches is called "Mevlana Celaleddin-i Rumi" (The beautiful person of Religion from Anatolia" Therefore Turks  called the remaining citizens of Bizanz Empire as "Rum". The word leter used for all greek citizens. Armenians or Jews were never Rum. Only Greeks were Rum. After the declaration of the Free Greek State. We called them "Yunan" To day we call all greek origine people who are not Greek citizen as "Rum" e.g Rums of USA, Cyprus. 

Plese tell my good wishes to all  Greek citizens of  my fatherland " Sofular" a town of Kozana/Kozani. They all imigrated from Anatolia.

Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 16:18

Thanks to all for your replies.

Jakatai Khan, nargile is not that dangerous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah#Style_and_health

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 16:25
realy? so I can return my nargile back.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 18:52
Originally posted by Ellinas

Thanks to all for your replies.

Jakatai Khan, nargile is not that dangerous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah#Style_and_health

"not that dangerous" but still "dangerous"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 18:20

best thing invented by muslims

have u tried the apple flavor?? its awesome

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 18:38

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Don't smoke nargile...One of it equals to 30 cigarettes....

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 10:05
ive got, but rarly use an argeli (where did that n come from?)
apple is the best, rose ho hum
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 18:31
I like tombeki (non-aromatic hard tobacco) but of course rarely. If aromatic, I would prefer rose...
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 23:41

u guys should definitely try milk + capuccino falvor.... its like sooo nice

just use milk instead of water and cappucino flavor for the tobacco

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 01:03
Originally posted by CamokaGurth

u guys should definitely try milk + capuccino falvor.... its like sooo nice

just use milk instead of water and cappucino flavor for the tobacco

you serous? i doubt i can find that flavour down at the nearest lebanese shop.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 06:23
i like every kind of nargile after good food, if my stomach is full a Turkish coffee with nargile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>