Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most important women in world history?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most important women in world history?
    Posted: 16-Jul-2015 at 09:34
Bona Sforza - queen consort of Sigismundus the Old of Poland. Italian princess that introduced many new things to eastern Europe including new vegetables from the new world.

Saint Jadwiga or Saint Hedvig, the king of Poland (not the queen as it is written in wikipedia). Inspite of the fact that she was a woman she was crowned as "king" . She married the duke of Lithuania creating in this way Polish-Lithuanian alliance what leaded to foundation of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2015 at 19:54
Matilda of Flanders, Queen Consort of King William I of England     
Blanche of Castile, Queen Consort of King Louis VIII of France and Regent for Louis IX     
Saint Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 00:23
After much thinking here is my top ten:

1) The "Malicha" the Inacan wife of Cortes and source of tears for her
people.

2) The pope Giovanna

3) Margareth Tatcher

4) Olympe de Gouge the french revolutionnary who wrote the woman's
rights (in French there is no difference between human and man) and was
latter behaded.

5) Doa Juana the Mad the most powerfull and most miserable woman in
history betrailed by her father, her husband and her sons.

6) Helois maybe the only female writter really worth reading

7) Irene the Basilea (just to please Kom.)

8) Catherine II czarin of Russia (the only women able not only to be
ganged bang by 100 Cossaks but to ask for more).

9) Dalila (the best proof ever of women unfaithfulness)

10) My mother (hey it is my list after all, represents!)

Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 14:04

Mary,the wife of Joseph,  the mother of the Christ. Any other great women of history no matter ethnicity and religious background, have always demonstrated in remarkable likeness similar qualities....not entirely of course but in their humanity.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 21:42

Well...FWIW, in Biography of the Milennium, where they announced the 100 most influential people of the years between 1001 and 2000, Mary Wollstonecraft was the most inluential woman on the list. (Number 53, if I believe...)

Second and third place went to Marie Curie and Margaret Sanger, I believe...

Edited by BenTucker
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 14:35

*  Roxalaine (actually known as Hurrem Sultan in Turkish)

She was the wife of Suleyman the Magnificent. Many say she was one of the greatest reasons for the Ottoman Empire to start declining... Many historians believe she worked as a "mole" on Suleyman's court because of her letters containing very important information sent to Busbecq(the ammabassador of King Ferdinand of France). But the most important thing she did was to convince Suleyman to drown his most cunning, intelligent, and strongest son Mustafa, as almost all of the European rulers of the period were afraid he was going to ascend to the throne.

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 14:23
  1. Elizabeth I of England the real establisher of British empire overseas.
  2. Joan of arc the power of spirit.
  3. Cathrine the great.
  4. Marie Courie.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 13:32
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Also the most important women in world history are Morty and Mila.

Marhabbal! Thank you for the great compliment! Maybe we're not the most important women in world history, but we are two of the FEW women in AE history!!

Edited by morticia
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 09:09
Also the most important women in world history are Morty and Mila.
I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 09:08

Hi,

The hell with me I'm a bite lost in my Italian Renaissance history. Althought I vividely remember an history about the mother of Giovanni de'Medici delle Bande Nere (I think she was a Sforza). Anyway, it is said that her archenemy, Cerare Borgia was surrending her castle with powerfull armies holding her sons in hostage an threatening her to kill them in front of her.

While the Borgia arrived holding little Giovanni in his arms and a big nasty kniffe in one of his hands, she went to the highest tower of the castle (how dramatic these Italians!!!) and took up her dress under which she was naked and yeld:

Son of the pope, why would I care about the fruits while the tree is still alive?

Amazed by her courage Cesare ended the siege imediatle and released young Giovanni.

Bye.

I am a free donkey!
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 19:08
Most of the important ones are probably those we know nothing about. For example, Albert Einstein's Serbian wife - whom he said himself he would've been nothing but a simply-minded beggar without. I couldn't even tell you her name - Mileva or something. But she's probably had more influence the world's modern female leaders combined.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 18:48
Lucretia Borgia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by morticia

Originally posted by Exarchus

Richard I the LionheartAlexander the Great

I was unaware that these two were women!
"The Hidden history of women" by Exarchus. Soon in all bookstores around the World!

You noticed it too, eh?

Here are a few more influential and important women in world history:

Yoshiko Uchida
Phyllis Wheatley
Mary Wollstonecraft
Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
"Morty

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 16:07
Originally posted by morticia

"The Hidden history of women" by Exarchus. Soon in all bookstores  around the World!

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Aurelia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Aurelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 14:47

Obviously, I don't know them all, so PLEASE don't yell at me for not naming really important ones that just slipped my mind

Hatshepsut

Susan B. Anthony

Catherine the Great

Wu Zetian

Golda Meir

Elizabeth I of England

Coretta Scott King (RIP)

Rosa Parks (RIP)

Isabella of Castile-Leon

Catherine d'Medici

Mary of Anjou (later of England)

Marie Curie

Kate Chopin

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:25

"Morty

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:23
Richard I the Lionheart
Alexander the Great
Vae victis!
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:56

Rosa Louise McCauley Parks, "The Mother of Civil Rights Movement"

Rosa Parks (1913 - 2005)

Parks is famous for her refusal on December 1, 1955 to obey a bus driver's demand that she give up her seat to a white passenger. Her subsequent arrest and trial for this act of civil disobedience triggered the Montgomery Bus Boycott, one of the largest and most successful mass movements against racial segregation in history, and launched Martin Luther King, Jr., one of the organizers of the boycott, to the forefront of the civil rights movement. Her role in American history earned her an iconic status in American culture, and her actions have left an enduring legacy for civil rights movements around the world.

Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:28
Well this would be a discussion on its own - I don't want to hijack the topic, so let it be. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 11:41
Originally posted by Maju

There are not. There are people who <span style="text-decoration: underline;">venerate</span> her

There are some who come awfully close to worship ... particularly in areas where Catholicism is relatively new, eg Latin America or parts of Africa. If archaeologists in ten thousand years were deprived of written records and could only go by artifacts, they would have a difficult time coming to any conclusion other than that she was a deity.

In the same way, saints are not altogether different from lesser deities of pantheistic religions. People pray to them for intecession and invoke them in ritual, and like pantheistic deities, every saint is a patron of a trade, region, or class. The official terms for the veneration of the saints is "cultus sanctorum" which literally translates as Cults of the Holy. In the middle ages, the saints had more supernatural powers than many ancient gods: they could cure the sick, end famines, drive away demons, stop fires, or even sponsor someone's entry into heaven. Their powers could often be accessed via the possession of a relic.

Often the difference between veneration and worship seems a bit semantical.

Edited by edgewaters
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>