Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most Disciplined Modern Armed Force

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which is the most displined armed force of the modern world?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [8.75%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.00%]
2 [2.50%]
1 [1.25%]
10 [12.50%]
16 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
14 [17.50%]
26 [32.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Disciplined Modern Armed Force
    Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 08:02
May I ask how Israel and America are recieving so many votes? Neither of these armies is particularly undisciplined, but neither have they demonstrated that they're particularly disciplined either.I would say nations with much smaller militaries are likely to be far more efficient and disciplined.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 08:23
There is no such theory: The more army is bigger, the less it is disciplined. It is nothing but intuition, if read Sun Tsu. But I agree, that freedom in US influances army negatively. Also, corruption and idea are very big points. Azerbaijan army is very corrupted today, I must be proud with my army, but the reality is very different. It is getting better since new president, but still, there is a corruption which "harasses" the army.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 08:50
Originally posted by Maljkovic

My vote goes to the Swiss guard (army of Vatican). Not only must their soldiers follow strict rules while on duty, but they have rules of conduct for off duty time. They are all hand picked through psycological and physical tests, so there is practically no "rotten apples" among them.

Sure, I know you're gonna say "How hard is it to keep a company of men disciplined" but hey, the poll question didn't say BIG modern armed force, now did it?

The Swiss Guard is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think the Swiss are way underrated and no one is really aware of the size and power of their military. And who knows what goes on under inside those mountains?

My guess is that Switzerland could take out all its neighbours, by surprise, and at the same time if they wanted to. 

Edited by Frederick Roger - 30-Jan-2007 at 08:51
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 02:10
Your guess, would be wrong.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 05:27
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Your guess, would be wrong.

Prove me wrong, don't just say it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 05:48
Simultaneously Switzerland is going to take down the following:

1. Netherlands
The Netherlands actually possesses quite a formidable military force for its size.

2. Germany
One of the world's most powerful industrial powers, designer of the Leopard II's that Switzerland uses.

3. Belgium

4. Italy

5. Austria

6. Czech Republic

7. Poland

8. Denmark

I fail to see how they're going to pull that off.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 05:53
I must say that the Swiss could not take out all their neighbours, let alone at the same time. About one and half million Swiss are eligible for military service, though much less would actually take part in the Swiss Armed Forces. Disregarding manpower, though the Swiss do have elite special forces units and the like, they lack a fully professional army, with the SAF being partly militia-based. Let's look at some of Switzerland's nieghbours.
Germany. France. Do you really think that Switzerland could match their manpower and overall immense power? No. Switzerland could not take down its neighbours.
Note though, I am not underestimating the ability of the Swiss Armed Forces. Rather, they are an exceptionally disciplined force embracing breakthrough tactics and technologies, and incorporating into their defense forces. They are good contenders for 'most efficient military'.

- Knights -

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 07:22

Simultaneously Switzerland is going to take down the following:

1. Netherlands
The Netherlands actually possesses quite a formidable military force for its size.

2. Germany
One of the world's most powerful industrial powers, designer of the Leopard II's that Switzerland uses.

3. Belgium

4. Italy

5. Austria

6. Czech Republic

7. Poland

8. Denmark

I fail to see how they're going to pull that off.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that The Netherlands, Belgium, Czech Republic, Poland and Denmark shared borders with Switzerland. Sleepy Silly me!

Your point has failed. Knights, however, hasn't:

Originally posted by Knights

I must say that the Swiss could not take out all their neighbours, let alone at the same time. About one and half million Swiss are eligible for military service, though much less would actually take part in the Swiss Armed Forces. Disregarding manpower, though the Swiss do have elite special forces units and the like, they lack a fully professional army, with the SAF being partly militia-based. Let's look at some of Switzerland's nieghbours.
Germany. France. Do you really think that Switzerland could match their manpower and overall immense power? No. Switzerland could not take down its neighbours.
Note though, I am not underestimating the ability of the Swiss Armed Forces. Rather, they are an exceptionally disciplined force embracing breakthrough tactics and technologies, and incorporating into their defense forces. They are good contenders for 'most efficient military'.

- Knights -

Your point, sir, is extremely correct and valid, for it's practical take on the possiblity of such an event. I believe it was obvious that I was overstating the power of the Swiss on a practicality issue.
However, I still mantain that, in theory, and based on the all-falible ideal that everything goes as planned, the Swiss, as you yourself has put it, with it's "one and half million" reserve force (triple of the French) and being "an exceptionally disciplined force embracing breakthrough tactics and technologies", could, in a secretive, combined and swift action against France and Germany simultaneously, severely cripple both nations, making it easier to jump into Austria and Italy next.
Of course, this is all idealistic rubbish, because in practical terms there would be inner turmoil if such a recruitment ever took place, and so much for the secrecy then!

My rant about the Swiss has achieved it's initial goal of provocking a serious yet well-spirited discussion: what exactly would the results be if attacks came from the small nations we least expected?    
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 14:30
Man, Does swiss has an armed forces? I thought they only got police?
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 14:54
I'm verry suprised and dissapointed that nobody has mentioned the maroon berets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordo_Bereliler

Btw who voted for Japanese and topic starterClap(hahahaha)

Japan doesn't have an armyLOL

Edited by xi_tujue - 31-Jan-2007 at 14:55
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 20:50
I think US' elite forces are the most disciplined in the current world. Not entire US force, of course... but elite of elites are from US. (Ex. Delta Force, SEAL, etc.)

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 13:03
I don't think so really. The US special forces certainly are good, however they are not quite up to the standards of the SAS, GSG9 or GIGN.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 14:15

I don't think so really. The US special forces certainly are good, however they are not quite up to the standards of the SAS, GSG9 or GIGN.

The Turkish maroon berets won the competition
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 22:49
I'm not going to bother arguing which is better. However, needless to say there are more efficient and disciplined special forces units than the Delta Force.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 16:53
It would be fun to have all the elite forces around the world play paintball deathmatch. That would be so cool! Maybe we can decide the winner that way...

Just kidding. Just a thought.

Join us.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 03:48
In this case, all the US dudes would win the game
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 10:14
why are you kidding?that would be a plesure to watch,it would gain more rating then the world cup.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 15:15
Originally posted by Dampier

Just a question but who is voting for Israel- this being the same Israel who in the recent Lebanon war was stricken by conscientius objectors, refusal to obey orders to advance, who ignored missile raid warnings adn had such trouble?

While their SF and regulars did fine the Reservists were a disaster.

Similarly voting for Japan makes no sense, Japan has not been engaged in a "proper" war since '45 (when they were again actually one of the more undisciplined armies).
i agree that the idf is not particuarly diciplined. but it is not particuarly undiciplined either. the fact israel did not win the war against hisballa has more to blame on inferier strategy and weapons. than on dicipline of soldiers. i know of a incident where a squad of hisballa was captured with full gear as they fell asleep during a patrol. in the Idf this would have never happened.
i dont know if any of you ever did actually fight in a war. but during combat all hell breaks loose. u never realy know what is going on. most of the time the idf high comand did not have a  (ground forces) plan of operation. and orders were not always clear from the point of view of regiment comanders. thus i cannot blame troops of disobeying orders as the orders where not always there to be disobeyed.
i dont know what army is the most diciplined in the world. though of i had to guess id say the germans. i met some german officers during service and they seemed nice enough.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 08:08
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

In this case, all the US dudes would win the game

Why?

Originally posted by Raffi

i dont know what army is the most diciplined in the world. though of i had to guess id say the germans. i met some german officers during service and they seemed nice enough.

I'm slightly confused by that logic. Although the Germans are very efficient. Does the Vatican count?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 08:54
Here is my criteria for what can effect the discipline of an armed force:

- Size: The larger the force becomes the harder it is to control and manage in a 100% effective fashion. There will always be the odd rebel or muck-up, and disruption is inevitable regardless of how elite the force is. For example, the German Army may be very good, efficient and powerful, and rather disciplined overall, but this does not account for the entirety of its composition. Similarly, any national armed force is bound to encounter the same effect due to size, and management restrictions within the armed force.

- Loyalty: This is a very important factor -in my opinion- in not only determining but also assuring discipline within an entity. Complimentary to the 'size' factor, 100% loyalty and willingness to fulfill every role is not guaranteed as the size of an armed force increases. In addition to this, loyalty also infers ability, efficiency and discipline, generally.

- Selection: This is a key aspect that defines the discipline of an armed force. Selection process for some of the most elite units in the world is sometimes more physically and mentally arduous than reality. For example, the selection process of British SAS and Australian SASR Special Forces. The selection process roots out those who are unfit to fulfill their role to full extent, of which discipline plays a part. A regular defence force may only require O-Level or the respective merit in each country, an average degree of fitness and possibly some mental/psychological tests for a first-grade soldier position. Some national armies may require more than this, but nevertheless still cannot guarantee total discipline. However, as the selection process gets harder (both physically and mentally) and the requirements and amount of soldiers to be recruited decreases, you get a lower margin for error. This is why your average US 10th Mountain Division soldier is less skilled/elite and formidable than an SAS trooper.

- Fanaticism: Lastly, but less significantly, fanaticism can affect the discipline of an armed force. It is not very major but I thought I would point it out anyway. Fanaticism, for example, religious, can be beneficial because the followers could obey and fulfill the commands of their leader to the death. This is of course, not always the case. Adversely though, fanaticism can cause impetuosity and eagerness, leading to unruly and/or detrimental consequences. A good example of discipline (or lack of in some cases) would be the Orders of the Middle Ages -Templar, Teutonic.etc.- or the Hashashim.

My conclusion based on these and less significant criteria is that the smaller and more arduously selected an armed force is, along with the loyalty and willingness within it, almost always determines that the discipline will be very high.

From this conclusion here are some contenders for "most disciplined armed force":
- Royal Guards. These are the bodyguard or the like, of Imperial/Royal Families in different nations. Each has its unique name, and there are always exceptions. For example, the Hogvatken (Swedish), or English Royal Guard. These troops conform to all the criteria above.

- Special Forces/Counter-Terrorists. These are the troops who undergo the most painstaking and burdensome selection process, which in turn would actuate the loyalty and size of the force. They tend to be small, but highly elite (if not the best the modern world has). Examples include the Polish GROM, Australian SASR and the German KSK.

- Others? Please specify...

- Knights -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>