Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most Disciplined Modern Armed Force

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Which is the most displined armed force of the modern world?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [8.75%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.00%]
2 [2.50%]
1 [1.25%]
10 [12.50%]
16 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
14 [17.50%]
26 [32.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Disciplined Modern Armed Force
    Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 23:39

Fact is they are under-fire all the time

Ya, those damn palestinians and their rocks, they just never take time to reload.Angry
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 23:54
Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

Fact is they are under-fire all the time

Ya, those damn palestinians and their rocks, they just never take time to reload.Angry

don't forget to add bomb-vests, AK-47's and RPG's to the list
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 01:04
The IDF, which has fired on Red Cross workers, journalists, and even visting British MPs, is surely out of the running.

In addition:

In the early 1970s, the IDF reversed its previous policy and began conscripting all but the most serious offenders among delinquent youth in an attempt both to increase its manpower pool and to provide remedial socialization in the context of military discipline. By 1978 it was clear that the policy was only partially successful. Approximately half the youths (generally the less serious offenders) released from detention to join the IDF had adjusted successfully; the other half had been less successful. Many returned to criminal activity and contributed to growing disciplinary problems within the IDF that included rising drug use among soldiers and thefts and violent crimes within IDF units.

Quoted from http://www.country-data.com/cgi-bin/query/r-6854.html

In addition, the IDF has had notable troubles with the "refuseniks" as well as other elements:

In February [of 2002], it was announced that a whole battalion of the IDF's Golani Brigade had been disbanded due to "severe discipline problems."

According to Stuart Cohen's article in the "Jerusalem Post" (7 March), "the troops concerned, who chose to nickname themselves 'Messengers of Satan', apparently indulged in a complete breakdown of discipline. Failure to carry out guard duty was the least of their crimes. Over a protracted period they also subjected junior members of the unit to physical and mental torture; they insulted and abused their officers; and in order to duck operational assignments they deliberately sabotaged military vehicles. The military police personnel who came to investigate their crimes were on one occasion bombarded with eggs and refuse, while other officers were locked out of the base."

From http://members.tripod.com/~other_Israel/courtmartials.html

Edited by edgewaters
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 18:05
IDF is not very disciplined at all. they are good soldiers, but they have almost no discipline, they do whatever they want without restraint.
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 21:55
Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

Fact is they are under-fire all
the time

How the hell do you reload a rock?
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 00:11
special relativity
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 22:35
The US military...

Every bit worthy of the code elite...

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 23:51

Originally posted by dirtnap

The US military...

Every bit worthy of the code elite...

Like IDF ... good soldiers ... but no restraint. They have had numerous disciplinary crises lately. Unless all that torture stuff was actually policy ... take your pick, I guess.

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 22:49
Originally posted by edgewaters

Like IDF ... good soldiers ... but no restraint. They have had numerous disciplinary crises lately. Unless all that torture stuff was actually policy ... take your pick, I guess.

You make this statement as if you think the US military is the only army with issues to deal with...

The North Koreans, Russians and the Chinese have issues that are not in front of a camera 24 - 7. So the US is an easy target to criticize...

How bold of you...

First of all the French and the Germans do not belong on the list at all IMO, PERIOD...

Edited by dirtnap

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 23:49

Originally posted by edgewaters

You make this statement as if you think the US military is the only army with issues to deal with...

No, not really. They don't have to be the only army with issues to be out of the running for most disciplined. Even the Canadian forces have had issues with discipline lately:

http://www.dnd.ca/somalia/vol0/v0s12e.htm

Does that put them out of the top spot? Yes ... it does.

Germany and France's militaries are good contendors, actually. Can you even find any major disciplinary scandals recently for either of these forces? Cameras have little to do with it, that's just a rather weak excuse. Cameras don't cause discipline issues in a military, they just make them politically costly. Information on disciplinary problems in any modern military is readily available, if you care to look, except perhaps in the case of countries like North Korea (and even then, you can find some information).

German military is notably impressive - especially since they have succesfully integrated elements of the former East German military, which had been operating under an entirely different set of political beliefs and had been trained to fight the soldiers they now bear arms with and the commanders they serve. Not to mention that they endured massive cuts during initial integration, and the breakup of their units. Few militaries would be able to achieve such a smooth transition in integrating such a polar opposite, without a great deal of disciplinary problems along the way.

Edited by edgewaters
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 01:18
You are confusing my point.

These issues within the US military exist and are known, but the overwhelming majority of the armed forces in the US are very disciplined... Just because you do not read of Chinese or North Korean or Russian soldiers having similar issues does not mean it is not occuring especially during conflict...

Remember Russian treatment of the Afgans?
Remember the North Korean treatment of South Koreans?
Remember the Chinese treatment of Taiwan?

Only calling out the US is not being reasonable but Biased...

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 15:01

I would vote for the Germans.
I have seen most of armies over decades specially in last 4-5 years. The word Discipline, when we mention it, army automaticly comes to our mind meaning each in every army has got discipline some less some more.

I have seen US and British army act very disciplined while they are at top but once they are counter attacked or shown some resistance then I bet you they are the worst as long as discipline is considered. Where as the Germans deals with the situation very well.

I wish there was a choice of Canada too, their army is also not bad along Italians.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 15:20

You are confusing my point.

Remember Russian treatment of the Afgans?  [would that be right to call Amerian instead of American!]
Remember the North Korean treatment of South Koreans?
Remember the Chinese treatment of Taiwan?

Only calling out the US is not being reasonable but Biased...

Dear dirtnap,
I can assure you one thing for sure and that is the US army has done no less than what the Russians do but more to the Afghans  while war time and to the prisoners in Iraq.
So I don't really think that calling them as a disciplined Army is something you could claim for.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 18:02

My vote goes to the Swiss guard (army of Vatican). Not only must their soldiers follow strict rules while on duty, but they have rules of conduct for off duty time. They are all hand picked through psycological and physical tests, so there is practically no "rotten apples" among them.

Sure, I know you're gonna say "How hard is it to keep a company of men disciplined" but hey, the poll question didn't say BIG modern armed force, now did it?

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 21:09
Originally posted by Gharanai

You are confusing my point. Remember Russian treatment of the Afgans? [would that be right to call Amerian instead of American!]Remember the North Korean treatment of South Koreans? Remember the Chinese treatment of Taiwan? Only calling out the US is not being reasonable but Biased...

Dear dirtnap,I can assure you one thing for sure and that is the US army has done no less than what the Russians do but more to the Afghans while war time and to the prisoners in Iraq.So I don't really think that calling them as a disciplined Army is something you could claim for.

I realize I mispelled Afghans but I was in a hurry so I let it slide, thx for being so offended that you color coded it blue(my favorite color) and lectured me about it after my post was defending you against what the Russians did to Afghanistan in the 80's...

Russia tried to roll all of you...

The US is trying to roll some of you, the threatening ones...

Its not the same dude...

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 14:36

I realize I mispelled Afghans but I was in a hurry so I let it slide, thx for being so offended that you color coded it blue(my favorite color) and lectured me about it after my post was defending you against what the Russians did to Afghanistan in the 80's...

Russia tried to roll all of you...

The US is trying to roll some of you, the threatening ones...

Its not the same dude...

Wow, first of all glad to hear that you got to know what you didn't at the first place, afterward Dear I would really suggest you that we Afghans have it in our nature that we don't really like to be ordered by foreigners, whether it's in benefit of us or in lose of.
So US is the same as the Russians were for Afghans (if no other, at least for me), and Russians were too invited in the first place latter on we got that we have been invaded so we really don't want to make the same mistake again.

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 17:40
I understand your feelings and I hope you respect my points as well. Its your home, I would be frustrated too...

But even you have to admit these renegades are hiding and they have help to do so and that causes more problems and does little to shorten the occupation...

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 18:39

Dear dirtnap,
First of all thanks alot for understanding my feelings and for sure I do respect not only yours but everyone's point as it gives one more and further information, whether it's correct or not could be decided by discussing about it in a calm environment...

Afterward, I never supported those terrorist at all, never ever. But for sure by saying that it doesn't mean that I am not supporting someone who is demanding an end to the invasion, and there is a big difference between terrorists and freedom fighters.

I guess if there is no difference then first of all American shall be called a terrorist state as the supported the (freedom fighters) terrorist back in 1980s against the Russians.

The taleban movement at first was a pure religious group who wanted an independent, prosperous, and Islamic state nothing else, it was the outsiders who made it look terrouble once they merged in them.

We shouldn't forget that the extream super power of today (America) is not able to stop the cultivation of Opium, where as by one single order of Amer-ul-Momenen Mullah Mohammad Omer, the cultivation of opium was stopped all over the country in a single day.

BlackRaven135 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote BlackRaven135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 21:19
There are certain units within many countries that are very disciplined. So, maybe the question should suggest various units to choose from. For example, the United States (US Marine Corps) a very disciplined outfit.
batu khan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote batu khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 05:25
Chechens becouse even rich Arabian lords hire them as bodyguards becouse they are the bravest and the best fighters in the world( their militias are better than Spetnaz !!! ).
   or the Turkish army.becouse they never hurt civilians theyserved in Bosnia Somalia and Afhganistan.they helped the people get used to the culture of the west and of course they are the best country who deals with guerilla warfare ( kurdish terrorists )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>