Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Lepanto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Lepanto
    Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 21:45
Not really. What I do know is that Spain was scared that the Ottoman Empire used the lands in the Maghred in North Africa to launch on attack and Muslim reconquist on Iberia itself. That was theirs main concern since the 15th century at least, which increased a lot more after the fall of Constantinople. The Turks were recognized as the best warriors of the Muslim world at those times.

Meanwhile, Spain was suffering a lot of problems in the Americas. It was been attacked by the Brits, the Portugueses had started to expand in Brazil, the French, Brits and Dutch were taking parts of the Americas for theirs own use. I don't believe Spain was concerned in having even more problems; the ones they already had were more than enough for them.

Pinguin

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 23:25
Originally posted by pinguin

Not really. What I do know is that Spain was scared that the Ottoman Empire used the lands in the Maghred in North Africa to launch on attack and Muslim reconquist on Iberia itself. That was theirs main concern since the 15th century at least, which increased a lot more after the fall of Constantinople. The Turks were recognized as the best warriors of the Muslim world at those times.

I figured as much.  You must be tired of me asking that question! LOL

The angle of my question was more towards if the Spanish chroniclers had mentioned that if events such as an Ottoman conquest of North Africa and Iberia, or the establishment of a naval hegemony in the Mediterranean, had taken place, they feared that the Ottomans might try to take part in Atlantic expansion (never mind the technological difficulties).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

...The angle of my question was more towards if the Spanish chroniclers had mentioned that if events such as an Ottoman conquest of North Africa and Iberia, or the establishment of a naval hegemony in the Mediterranean, had taken place, they feared that the Ottomans might try to take part in Atlantic expansion (never mind the technological difficulties).

I have never see a reference about that concern. Only about the invasion of North Africa and further invasion of Spain. Actually, with respect to the Americas theirs worst enemies were other Europeans and not the Turks LOL

However, it is curious that the Portugueses found so few opposition in South and South East Asia. Those are the logical overseas lands were the Turks should have founded strongholds. I have no idea why they didn't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234