Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Lepanto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Lepanto
    Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:26

Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by King Kaloian of all Bulgarians

If I remember correctly Spanish galleys, Venician were bigger than Turkish.The other imortant thing that new class galley appeared - the galleas, armed with much more canons - as San Lorenco.

The Venetians had 6 galleasses that were much bigger than the average galley of either side. They seem to have caused quite some damage. But the biggest advantage of the Christian coalition was their infantery: the Turks were short on that. Also, when the Ottoman commander was captured, the Venetians beheaded him and put his head on a long pike, what demoralized the Muslims quite a bit.

Dr. Guilmartin speaks in his work on galley warfare of the importance of not only the discipline of the Western infantry, but of the importance of infantry firepower.  The soldiers aboard the Western galleys had many more arquebus and muskets, in addition to the ships' guns.  The effect of  firepower on the Ottoman troops and crews was more of a shock than the loss of their commander.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 11:44
Very possibly. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 07:52
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Dr. Guilmartin speaks in his work on galley warfare of the importance of not only the discipline of the Western infantry, but of the importance of infantry firepower.  The soldiers aboard the Western galleys had many more arquebus and muskets, in addition to the ships' guns.  The effect of  firepower on the Ottoman troops and crews was more of a shock than the loss of their commander.

Not only that, the westerners had their ship-heads reshaped, so they were firing from higher-up and were more protected than the ottomans.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 08:24
As far as I know Ottomans used a lot light guns, and treboushets.Their ships had more crew, because they relied on boarding tactic
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 09:11
Trebuchet is impossible to handle on ship, you refer to light catapults perhaps?
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 10:04
nezahualcoyotl View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote nezahualcoyotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 08:23
You all talk about the consecuences of the battle, and there was no real profit for Lepanto, and youre right, but the main reason for that it was that Spain tried to invade England 17 years after Lepanto (1588) with the biggest naval army ever built (I am not really sure about it, but I think so) for that purpose, but for this maybe is better to start a new topic.
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 19:21
Lepanto was Ottoman victory off course.Turkish and Ottoman empire, was never put to be any sea worthy.

Conquest of Malta 1565
Cyprus 1571
Made doom of so called ''western sea blockades''

Like proverb goes, i think Mehmed 4 was sultan then

He said

Christians have shaved my beard, because i lost at Lepanto
I can always grow new beard

Christians lost arm with my Cyprus conquest
They cant grow another arm

LOLLOL
Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 06:31
LOL Yes violentjack you are very humoristic, the ottomans lose 190 galleys and a total of 240 ships, 30.000 casualties, flee from the "battlefield" and they win the battle, great my friend Clap

Pd. Malta was a great defeat for the ottomans Wink
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 08:03
Originally posted by violentjack

Lepanto was Ottoman victory off course.Turkish and Ottoman empire, was never put to be any sea worthy.

Conquest of Malta 1565
Cyprus 1571
Made doom of so called ''western sea blockades''

Like proverb goes, i think Mehmed 4 was sultan then

He said

Christians have shaved my beard, because i lost at Lepanto
I can always grow new beard

Christians lost arm with my Cyprus conquest
They cant grow another arm

LOLLOL

You said that Turkish won Lepanto and later You quote Mehmed IV who says that He lost at Lepanto. Isn't it a little contradiction?Ermm
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 08:21

Well, let me correct the story told by violentjack in a true way...

Lepanto was a huuuge Ottoman defeat, yes that's true...But unfortunately for Christian Armada, it didn't really help them in gaining the control of whole Mediterranean,neither were they able to make any conquests.Ottoman navy was built up again with excessive work in the docks, and was later able to dominate the Eastern Med. again, and even annexed Tunisia after Lepanto.Crete and Malta were the only strongholds to resist against Ottoman control.

The story violentjack tries to tell is(I dunno whether it is really true or not):

Venetian ambassador had come to the place of Grand Vizier Sokullu Mehmed Pasha for an official visit.

He emphasized on the victory of Lepanto later in the talk.And the Grand Vizier replied:

-You had shaved our beard in Lepanto but we had chopped off your arm by getting Cyprus. The shaved beard would grow even more than before, but the chopped arm doesn't come out again.

So, that is the story..Nothing to do with Mehmet IV,who lived a century later than Lepanto.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 12:11
Kapikulu really it's the other way round. It were the ottomans who aimed at conquer all Mediterrean Basin and western Europe and they failed.

If the ottomans had won at Lepanto no other christian force could have stopped them and Italy probably would have been invaded.

Edited by Leonardo - 09-Sep-2006 at 12:13
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 16:12
Originally posted by Leonardo

Kapikulu really it's the other way round. It were the ottomans who aimed at conquer all Mediterrean Basin and western Europe and they failed.

Yes, I know...What you say is true..Ottomans aimed to conquer all the Mediterranean Basin..You misunderstood what I meant in my post.Smile

Christian Armada wanted to end the Ottoman domination over Mediterranean and therefore also was aiming to control the Mediterranean, for self-protection+to take back the islands they lost.Like Rhodes, like Cyprus etc...

If the ottomans had won at Lepanto no other christian force could have stopped them and Italy probably would have been invaded.

I think it wouldn't go as far as that, and would have stayed just as an utopia, as a Christian coalition would be found against Ottomans, even probably with the support of Ottomans' traditional ally, France.

Edited by Kapikulu - 24-Jun-2007 at 14:03
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 00:33
if you need a fleet of thousand galleys with sails made of silk and ropes and anchors made of gold,
we can provide it to you

gv mehmed pasa sokoli(c) to admiral uluc ali = kilic ali pasa, after uluc ali's return from lepanto to konstantinije

the battle was imposed on philip of spain and gv by the hawks in konstantinije, venice and rome

on ottoman side, neither gv, nor the most able navy administrator admiral payali_pajalic participated in the battle - they refused to participate
and witheld some of the most able janissaries and sailors ...

philip's spain was stretched to the limit ... and soon went bankrupt ...
his half-brother able don juan of austria, victor of lepanto, was sent to netherlands to fight fires financed by you know who and elizabeth I ...
don juan was eventually poissoned ?

sokoli(c) was assassinated and the wheels of the government started to crumble ...

venice, what was venice ? negotiated suez canal with sokoli(c) ...

most of venetian ships were built from the timber on the other eastern side of the adriatic, and manned by sailors from istria, liburnia, dalmatia, boka
almost every big island krk, cres, rab, ... provided a galley and sailors
so did cities ... sibenik, trogir, kotor, ...

after the battle in which the good guys, barbarigo and co., lost their lives,
bad guys started carnevales ... fish stinks from its head ...
and then came the talented buonaparte:
io saro un attila per lo stato veneto
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 21:24
The Ottomans didn't control the entire Mediterranean so much the eastern Mediterranean. No wonder, they had no opposition but Europe was alway dangerous and a very potent force.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 14:05
Originally posted by andrew

The Ottomans didn't control the entire Mediterranean so much the eastern Mediterranean. No wonder, they had no opposition but Europe was alway dangerous and a very potent force.

Nobody controlled the entire Mediterranean in Medieval ages, but after the Ottomans extended their control to Libya, Algeria and Tunis in 16th century, the area they were influential within Mediterranean was really huge.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2007 at 07:36
The main goal of the battle of Lepanto, was first Italy was saved from the Turish hands and second, even if the battle didnt stop their territoria l expansion, it slowed them down. In the past many intelectual of the cristianity were depressed because they were sure they will wery soon be inglobed in the ottoman empire and forced to convert to islam. This fear was so predominant we see it in many famous writers of those days. After the battle of Lepanto the Turish never recovered and even if they keep making war, they were only the shadow of their former self.

Edited by Mumbloid - 29-Jun-2007 at 07:36
The future keeps the past alive.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 10:22
so why did the Ottomans lose the battle?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 21:14
Originally posted by Maju

But Spain and Turkey had, at least for some time after Lepanto a "status quo" on the Med. As I said before, Spain had other worries besides Turkey. Containing Turkey was enough effort.
Probably Spaniards were very aware that they couldn't just dedicate too many efforts to Turkey when they were involved in so many conflics in Netherlands, Germany, etc..

Indeed. Spain had problems all over the world. Not only against the Turks, but also Netherlands, Germany, Italy and against the Brits in Europe. In the New World there was still continious battles against pirats and combats against Amerindians, besides they were watching out for other powers wanting to join the club of colonial powers in the Americas. They were also possitioning in Phillipines.
 They were battling in so many fronts that a relative peace in one of them was fine.

Pinguin

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 21:24
Originally posted by pinguin

Spain had problems all over the world. Not only against the Turks, but also Netherlands, Germany, Italy and against the Brits in Europe. In the New World there was still continious battles against pirats and combats against Amerindians, besides they were watching out for other powers wanting to join the club of colonial powers in the Americas.

Have you ever come across any reference to what Spain thought about the Ottomans in relation to the New World?  Did Spain think the Ottomans might have tried to make a stab at establishing a colony or trade route in the Americas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>