Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New History Books out now

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New History Books out now
    Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 13:41

Out now, looks interesting. 

This new biography has been getting excellent reviews. 
Kilroy was here.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 10:48

This looks good (i just picked it up a day ago).  One of Britain's generals writes about the ever changing ways of war. 

Kilroy was here.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 20:08
Nice books pinguin.  Here are a few more i found interesting,

This is about the guy that fought slavery in the British Empire, interesting guy. 

Title says it all.
Kilroy was here.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 00:11

It is not brad new, but it is one of the best enciclopedias about pre-Contact Americas contributions to the world: American Indian Contributions to the World, of Emory Dean Keoke and Kay Marie Porterfield.

%5bbook%20cover%5d

Accompanied with this book, Indian Givers of Jack Weatherford, that explain it in narrative, you got the whole picture:

kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 23:51
A few more recent titles that have caught my eye,

This one looks interesting. 

A survey of the Classic world up until the fall of Rome. 

Kilroy was here.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 21:19
Hi everybody, i intend to use this thread to try and keep people updated on new and upcoming history titles.  Here are a few,

This looks like an interesting title. Written by Father Crossan (author of the Historical Jesus and professor at De Paul University).   This book has just come out recently in March 2007 (literally about 5 days before this post). 

I think the title says it all.  It's been getting good reviews.

New from best selling (and veteran Roman fiction writer) Steven Saylor.  This is not part of his long lasting Gordianus series.  I will be picking this up soon Thumbs%20Up.

Thats it for now!  
Kilroy was here.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:04
It is far from new but it is the very best I've red so far

The Adventures of Captain Alonso De Contreras: A 17th Century Journey.

The true story wrote by himself in a gutsful style of a fearceful Spanish
soldier/pirate. It is so untertaining and it is a unic chance to invision this
world as it was. A must read for whoever is slightly interested in Spain,
Italy, warfare, malehood and at the end of the day human misery.

M.
I am a free donkey!
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 10:14

traveller1.jpg

The Iceland Traveller.
A fascinating selection from the writings of 15 travellers in Iceland from the late 18th to the late 19th century. From the Banks expedition of 1772 to Howell's visit at the end of the 19th century, fifteen early travellers to Iceland returned home to write about their experiences in the Far North. These reports, from the cynical to the romantic, tell us as much about the writers as their quests for the different and unknown on a strange and fascinating island. This anthology was compiled by Professor Alan Boucher and covers a range of themes which is intended both as entertainment for the
general reader and as information for the historian. All texts have been retained in their original published form. 265 pp, soft cover.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 09:46

Originally posted by rider

Has Fraser got good books? What are they about? When I was in London few weeks ago, I saw many Fraser books but didn't know if I should buy them.

Simply the best, and most accurate history books around.

The flashman papers were uncovered in a furniture sale in Leicester in 1965. They are the diaries of Sir Harry Paget-Flashman ( the most famous and decorated soldier of the Victorian age. He wrote them between 1900 and 1905 deciding to tell the true story of his life. The public Flashman was a hansome, patriotiotic, brave, noble, heroic soldier, personal friend of the queen and loved by all. In the diaries he turns out to be a coward, liar, womaniser, amoralist and scoundrel, but above all has one transcendental quality, he's a cynical philospher. He goes through every major event in history, meeting every famous person and gives totally larconic assessments and as he is embroiled in these events with people running a round, believeing in causes, dying for their beliefs, he's the only one a keeps his head seeing them for the fools they are.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 08:27

69 AD, The Year of the Four Emperors
by Gwynn Morgan, Oxford University Press, 2005

Read the review here

Read an excerpt here

Edited by Komnenos
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 08:11
Surely of interest to many:

Twice a Stranger: Greece, Turkey and the Minorities they Expelled
by Bruce Clark,Granta, 2006

It was a massive, yet little-known landmark in modern history: in 1923, after a long war over the future of the Ottoman world, nearly two million citizens of Turkey or Greece were moved across the Aegean, expelled from their homes because they were the wrong' religion. Orthodox Christians were deported from Turkey to Greece, Muslims from Greece to Turkey. At the time, world statesmen hailed the transfer as a solution to the problem of minorities who could not co-exist. Both governments saw the exchange as a chance to create societies where a single culture prevailed. But how did the people who crossed the Aegean feel about this exercise in ethnic engineering? Bruce Clark's fascinating account of these turbulent events draws on new archival research in Greece and Turkey, and interviews with some of the surviving refugees, allowing them to speak for themselves for the first time." Granta Promotion

Read the review here
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 12:02
Has Fraser got good books? What are they about? When I was in London few weeks ago, I saw many Fraser books but didn't know if I should buy them.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 12:35

Here's number 12 in the series, due out in paperback soon, so I'll finally get to read it.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 06:31
A few more newish books on the East-Roman Empire and closely related issues.

The Urban Image of Late Antique Constantinople
by Sarah Bassett,Cambridge University Press, 2004

Read the review here

The Cambridge Companion to The Age of Justinian
Michael Mass ed.,Cambridge University Press,2005

Read the review here

Read an excerpt here (PDF file, Acrobat needed)

Creating East and West: Renaissance Humanists and the Ottoman Turks
by Nancy Bisaha, University of Pennsylvania Press,2004

Read the review here

Christianity and Roman Society,
by Gillian Clark,Cambridge University Press, 2005.

Read the review here

Read an excerpt here (PDF file, Acrobat needed)

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 18:27

Here are some books that I am looking forward to.  They will be coming out here soon:

Dimiter Angelov, Imperial Ideology and Political Thought in Byzantium, 1204-1330. (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2006).

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=052 1857031

Giancarlo Casale, The Ottoman 'Discovery' of the Indian Ocean in the 16th Century. (Honolulu, Hawaii: University of Hawaii Press, 2006).

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 18:04
DOGS OF GOD

Columbus, the Inquisition, and the Defeat of the Moors,
by James Reston Jr., Doubleday

The role of the Spanish inquisition in the Reconquista and the expulsion of the Jewish population.

Read the review here

THE BAYEUX TAPESTRY

The Life Story of a Masterpiece
by Carola Hicks , Chatto & Windus

Exhaustive study of the famous tapestry that depicts the Norman conquest of England in 1066

Read the review here

GREAT WALL OF CHINA

China Against the World, 1000 BCAD 2000
by Julia Lovell , Viking/Penguin

The story of China's defense line

Read the review here

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply