Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great men who challenged ancient Rome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Who caused the most fear to ancient Rome?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [53.73%]
7 [10.45%]
10 [14.93%]
6 [8.96%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.48%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great men who challenged ancient Rome
    Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 21:47
I would like to know who you think caused the greatest threat to Rome. Although Rome has survived all of them, it proves that she certainly was not invicible, although certainly if she fell it would have dramatically changed our lives as we know it. But again, who you think deserves Rome's respect out of all of these challengers?
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 00:15

I would take out Sertorius (a Roman), and add Jugurtha. Also Boudicca, though famous for her heroic femininity in this era, was little more than a passing concern for the Caesars. That said, I don't know that we can say who was the greatest danger to Rome. I guess, out of the list, I'll go with Hannibal, just for fun.

-Akolouthos

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 00:18
why isnt Tigran the Great there, he was much more powerful than Mithridates and ruled a larger Empire, change the polls

Edited by mamikon
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 00:49
Hannibal for the Republican period.

Zenobia for the Imperial Period - not counting Roman Rebels and Barbarians who took advantage of the near end of Rome, Zenobia made more conquests against Rome than any other.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 03:09
Hannibal above all
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 05:08

Hannibal with no doubt,he was very close to accomplish his mission.

Arminious too was a great challenger to Rome,he smashed three Romans legion under Varus in Germania.

Finally,I must mention Hatra city in mesopotamia it was an important fortified city and capital of Arabic kingdom, and withstood repeated attacks by the Roman empire.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 06:04
Attila the Hun, because at the time he lived Rome was weaker than ever.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 06:34
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Arminious too was a great challenger to Rome,he smashed three Romans legion under Varus in Germania.

Finally,I must mention Hatra city in mesopotamia it was an important fortified city and capital of Arabic kingdom, and withstood repeated attacks by the Roman empire.

In Roman times Mesopotamia belonged to Parthians and then to Sassanids, which "Arab kingdom" do you refer to?

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 06:36
Surennas, a question of propaganda 
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 07:27
What about Stilicho the Vandal?  He seemed to pretty much have Rome in the palm of his hand.
Be brave and answer me.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 07:38
shapur II
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 08:22

Generals Alexander and Clark really had to struggle to get to Rome, which onlly fell the day before D Day. All this leads one to think that the whole Italian campaign was a waste of men and material.

Oh you mean ancient Rome?

Hannible Barca!

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 08:33
Definitely Hannibal.  The man stayed in the Italian peninsula for most of a decade and continued his campaign in spite of a lack of support from the Italian tribes whom he was trying to persuade to join his side.  He gave up only due to the exhaustion of his men and having failed to reach his goal, evuentually to end his life as an exile in the court of a Hellenic kingdom.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 08:40
Hannibal received a classy present from the romans though.
Vae victis!
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:54
I have voted for Mithridates. I am reading a book called "The Last King" which has inspired me to write this post. He was born in Persia, but was heavily inspired by GGreek influences and spoke Greek.

He never gave himself the title of "Great" that was something the Romans labeled him for. He caused so much trouble for the Romans for 40 years, that when he died all of Rome celebrated. It was like "a back-hand salute" to Mithradates because they celebrated the death of a man who almsot brought Rome down to its knees.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 11:14
I don't think anyone other than Hannible feared the Romans at a great extend, I would certainly go with Hannible.

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 09:16
For the republican era I would say Hannibal.Mithridates posed a big threat only until Rome finally decided to deal with him.His armies were no match for the republican Roman army.
For the imperial period I agree that Zenobia was the greatest threat.The fact that Aurelian ,who defeated her , took the title ''restituor orbis'' shows that she  counted as a really big threat to the Roman world.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 15:33
Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

In Roman times Mesopotamia belonged to Parthians and then to Sassanids, which "Arab kingdom" do you refer to?

It was a vassel kingdom under the influence of Parthians like Lakhmid with Sassanids and Ghassanid with Byzantians,the city was very famous in it's artchitecture and military ,many armies are defeated on the walls of the City Trajan,Septimius Severus and Ardasher

finally the Sassanids under Shapur destroy the city and capture it in 241 A.D

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 16:06
It's Spartacus,not Sparticus...Jesus!(kidding )
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
padem View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote padem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 18:41
I 'll go with the flow and say Hannibal...but what about Pyrrhus?He certainly gave the Romans a run for their money.I think he deserves a place in the poll...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>