Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest modern army?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Poll Question: Which was the greatest modern army?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [29.52%]
7 [6.67%]
12 [11.43%]
3 [2.86%]
2 [1.90%]
2 [1.90%]
46 [43.81%]
2 [1.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest modern army?
    Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:07

I vote for the German army. Overall, it was definetly the best trained, best equiped, and best lead army.

Note: dont choose the US or Russia just because they were superpowers, think about their armies over all, with specific attention to the world wars.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 01:26
When taking into consideration the world wars, I'd have to pick Germany. 
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 02:34

Same here I too would like to go with Germany as the World was rolled by them before World Wars and even after they were defeated they didn't loss it all.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 05:42
Ups i put my vote with the americans because i don't see the explanation about the WW. In that case, Germany and with few difference Russia.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 07:27
Why there are only these options to vote? I would like to vote Vietnamese or / and Israeli army.
Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 07:40
Comparing the German Army in World War II as a modern army?  That war was over 50 years ago.  Most of the participants are dead?  What's wrong with you people?

Modern?   HA!

The United States, without a doubt, is the best.  Through sheer economics, the United States can crush any nation's army.  Conquering a nation, well that is another matter.  That is determined more by the will of the free people of the United States.
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 07:49
modern army ,of course american army
http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 08:45
Modern army, man for man, British army without a doubt, all motivated volunteers, best trained and best led.
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 09:23
Just what does modern mean here? Situation today? Overall achievements in the XX. century? Achievements since the founding of modern armies whose tradition has remained till today? You'll have to clarify that before I give you my answer...
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:14

Originally posted by Travis Congleton

The United States, without a doubt, is the best.  Through sheer economics, the United States can crush any nation's army. 

Thanks to the weapon of mass destruction also Russia can crush every state (including USA).

If we will consider only 'traditional' weapon, I doubt if USA can win with Chinese army (win - means conquer and control a country).

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:24
Well Russia after the cold war mysteriously started losing her nukes. Now that frightens me because before the nukes were in very tight security areas. Now they can belong to any russian mafia wacko, or any other wacko across the world. (Good job for keeping ur nukes away from the wrong hands guys)

Anyway without a doubt the Americans have the best army. And another thing...who the hell voted for the Italians having the best army?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 11:32
Originally posted by prsn41ife

I vote for the German army. Overall, it was definetly the best trained, best equiped, and best lead army.

Note: dont choose the US or Russia just because they were superpowers, think about their armies over all, with specific attention to the world wars.

Germany certainly had a well trained army, but it's troop's quality and fighting spirit probably came more from the fitness and competitiive values imbued into them by the Hitler Youth, than what they learned in the army training camp.

Their C in C was Hitler, making them one of the worst lead armies ever.

Their equpment most certainly was good in some highly glamourous areas, they also had a good deal of mediocre and pretty poor equipment in less well publicised areas. Overall equipmentwise they were no better than average.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 11:51

Germany certainly had a well trained army, but it's troop's quality and fighting spirit probably came more from the fitness and competitiive values imbued into them by the Hitler Youth, than what they learned in the army training camp.

I don't think that the Hitelr Youth was so popular that all German soldiers were members of it. Also, what you say applies mostly to infantry. What about tank crews? They didn't have better equipment than their opponents but they were better in combat. What about officers? The German officers showed a superior tactical and strategical awareness than everyone else in the war(s).

I don't understand why someone would vote for the US. What have the US accomplished? Plus, Russians won due to quantity of means, not due to quality.

The British are so eager to fight that the British army accepts gays in order to have sufficient manpower! (Apart of this it's very probable that indeed the Brits are now the best trained)

Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 12:35
"If we will consider only 'traditional' weapon, I doubt if USA can win with Chinese army (win - means conquer and control a country)."
==================================

Even nuclear weapons aside, so you believe the Chinese will have an easier time invading the United States than the United States invading China?  Both are bleak situations, but the United States' logistically effort could make the invasion possible.  China would never make it across the Pacific Ocean.

Again The United States, at this time and probably since the mid-1980s, nuclear weapons aside, is the greatest modern army.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 16:46
Originally posted by xristar

[/QUOTE

I don't understand why someone would vote for the US. What have the US accomplished?
The best land, air and sea armed force of the history is not a small achievement  If you ask me about the WW, that is other thing...

Plus, Russians won due to quantity of means, not due to quality.

The equipment and tactics of the Red Army after 1943, and specially in 1944 and 1945 was the best of the world. Between 1945 and 1985-90 was  the strong  land army of the Earth, and the importance of the RA in the 30's was huge, with greats contributions to the concept of Blitzkrieg.

bye

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 16:48

The best land, air and sea armed force of the history is not a small achievement  If you ask me about the WW, that is other thing...

If the British armed forces were as big, they would be better.  Or if you shrink down teh US armed forces to the size of the UK armed forces, the UK's will be better.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 17:16

i meant modern army as in from 1900-2006.

i meant modern age army.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 00:31
Originally posted by Zagros

If the British armed forces were as big, they would be better.  Or if you shrink down teh US armed forces to the size of the UK armed forces, the UK's will be better.

individual training perhaps, but when it coomes to larger units, the UK isn't as good. The US has better large-scale units, primarily because the US has alot more large training centers. And the RAF is not all that amazing when compared with the USAF's technology. What major thing has the RAF invented lately? Most of the more revolutionary plane technology is coming out of the USAF. Plus, the US army has some pretty freaky things that jsut aren't in implementation for the whole army to use yet. "smart" bullets, and tactical uniforms that can allow soldiers to carry 50% more weight becuase the suit is designed to act like another system of muscles (allowing for faster running speeds, increased jumpin ability, etc..). Not to mention it's deisnged to perform medical duties on it's own if the soldier is down. it gives read-outs of vital signs, and will even inject the soldier with morphine on its own, and can call for a medic on its own. Also, can't forget to mention that the material the suit is made out of is designed to go rock-hard the instant it senses the impact of a bullet. It's supposed to be in wide-scale implementaition around 2025 I think.

Edited by Illuminati
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 00:40

yea man, the US army is coming up with the craziest equipment ever thought of!

the US army in 50 years is going to kick some serious a$$, although it already does, it will kick more!

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 04:49
What is Austro-Hungarian if we are talking about the modern age?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>