Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest quotes of history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest quotes of history
    Posted: 13-May-2006 at 16:15
I, Jan Hus, in hope a priest of Jesus Christ, fearing to offend God, and fearing to fall into perjury, do hereby profess my unwillingness to abjure all or any of the articles produced against me by false witnesses. For God is my witness that I neither preached, affirmed, nor defended them, though they say that I did. Moreover, concerning the articles that they have extracted from my books, I say that I detest any false interpretation which any of them bears. But inasmuch as I fear to offend against the truth, or to gainsay the opinion of the doctors of the Church, I cannot abjure any one of them. And if it were possible that my voice could now reach the whole world, as at the Day of Judgment every lie and every sin that I have committed will be made manifest, then would I gladly abjure before all the world every falsehood and error which I either had thought of saying or actually said! I say I write this of my own free will and choice." Jan Hus, his final declaration

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 18:30
"We'll count them when we beat them" - hetman John Karol Chodkiewicz before Battle of Kircholm when He was informed that Swedish army is few times bigger.
TheTurk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote TheTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 12:26

In 1934 Atatrk wrote a tribute to the ANZACs killed at Gallipoli:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

This inscription appears on the Kemal Atatrk Memorial, ANZAC Parade, Canberra.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 19:43
"Louis VI of France [1108-37] in one of his engagements was in considerable danger; a soldier of the enemy took hold of the bridle of his horse crying out, 'the king is taken.' 'No, sir,' replied Louis, raising his battle axe, with which he hewed down the soldier, 'no, sir, a king is never taken, not even in chess.' "
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 00:11
    I myself like the quote from Plato below in my signature section thing. And I started the same topic in the Intellectual Conversations area, and then seconds later found this topic. So, now AE has two topics about the same thing...
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 13:36
"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!"

-the Mayor of Hiroshima 08:16am,August6th,1945.    

Edited by Gargoyle - 26-May-2006 at 00:57
Elerosse View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Elerosse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 10:18
No man can escape death, but the man can sacrefice himself for the better good of his country.
人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青
- 文天祥
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 12:11
There are some great sentences between what you guys wrote here, nice work. I would like to add one which is not famous outside my country.
George Castriota Scanderbeg (Gjergj Kastrioti Sknderbeu) when came back to his town (Croia - Kruja) and freed it from the ottoman occupators kept a speech for his people. As Marin Barletii reports, the speech begun with the words

I didn't bring you freedom, I found freedom here, among you (Lirin nuk jua solla un, at e gjeta ktu, mes jush)

hope you like this

I like also this quote from Seneca (latin writer/philosopher)
Vivere militare est (To live is to fight)
Prej heshtjes...!
mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mico5bei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 06:08
"what an artist dies with me" Nero
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 12:17
"what an artist dies with me" Nero

That would have been fitting, if he was an actual artist. lol
saiwan View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote saiwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 07:22
Peace can not be kept by force.
-Einstein
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 00:13

"The only thing that saves us from bureaucracy is its inefficiency."

Eugene McCarthy

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 06:44
Originally posted by TheTurk

In 1934 Atatrk wrote a tribute to the ANZACs killed at Gallipoli:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

This inscription appears on the Kemal Atatrk Memorial, ANZAC Parade, Canberra.

I never knew about that, that's actually really chivalrous and decent of the man. Things like this do help explain how Australia and Turkey maintain friendly relations in the aftermath of such an horrific battle.

History with its flickering lamp stumbles along the trail of the past, trying to reconstruct its scenes, to revive its echoes, and kindle with pale gleams the passion of former days.  ~Winston Churchill
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 14:33
Originally posted by Avicenna

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Actually it sounds nice but he was really wrong.

Edited by Mosquito - 05-Jun-2006 at 14:34
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 02:17

Dear Theodore Felix,

What do you mean "if he was an actual artist"?????
Nero was an Actual Artist! This is why most of the Patricians hated him, but the Plebians loved him.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 09:50
"Sell a country. Why not sell the sun, the stars, and the great sea?"- Tecumseh

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 09:58
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, about ANZACs fought in Gallipoli:

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 14:24
"I AM"...............
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 17:52
Hey, The Turk had written mine before..I really see it now first time.

Edited by Jagatai Khan - 06-Jun-2006 at 17:56
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 08:05
"Isint the term agnostic really an atheist without balls?"

-Stephen Colbert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>