Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest quotes of history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest quotes of history
    Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 15:13
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

Kurt Cobain (1967 - 1994)

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 18:29

"I always thought there were two kinds of people in this world, the kind that go to their death screaming, and the kind that go to their death silently, and then, I met the third kind (that go to their death smiling).
(From an Indian Movie Rang De Basanti) It really is a good one so I thaught why not to share it with you guys.

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 19:00

"America hasn't changed much.Every time when I said that I'm from Bulgaria, they say: Oh, Bolivia.To make some fun I said:No, Bulgaria a new american state near canada's border.The incompetense was so great that even one man reply to me:Yes, I know."

-Astor- bulgarian ilusionist

Edited by Subotai
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 21:06
how is that one of the greatest quote in history...please stop bashing Americans, if not them half the world would have been under a Communist rule
kenten View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kenten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 03:29

i dont remember the exact name

but he  was the mexican minister of finance

"poor mexico you are too close, to america to away from the god" or something like that.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 10:14

"The man may be the head of the household, but the woman is the neck - and she can turn the head any which way she pleases."
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:02
 Nice one there Mila.

Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 14:06
"I think....therefore I am".............
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 14:52

Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.
Joseph Stalin

Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.
Joseph Stalin

Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.
Joseph Stalin

History shows that there are no invincible armies.
Joseph Stalin

If any foreign minister begins to defend to the death a "peace conference," you can be sure his government has already placed its orders for new battleships and airplanes.
Joseph Stalin (very nice one)

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 14:58

A world without nuclear weapons would be less stable and more dangerous for all of us.
Margaret Thatcher

Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.
Margaret Thatcher

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.
Margaret Thatcher (nice one)

If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman.
Margaret Thatcher

If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
Margaret Thatcher

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 15:02
I feel the happiest when I can light my American cigarettes with Soviet matches.
Mohammed Daud Khan

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 18:50
The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.

Sir Richard F Burton (1821-1890)

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 19:02

I think this one was meant for troops - but I think its universal:

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 23:26

It is unfortunate that most Chinese quotes were hard to translate into English... I will try to translate one by myself, please to laugh

"Worry before the entire world worries, enjoy after the enter world has enjoyed"

- Song dynasty politician Fang, Chuon-Yan

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 03:58

Originally posted by dirtnap

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction."

General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)

I think I like this one best.

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 04:03

Originally posted by barish

"Religion is the opium of the masses."

Karl Marx

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 12:37
Hi,
This one got through my mind:
During WWII, an english minister (which one?) famous for being drunk
half of the time and pissed the other half, said, while visiting a school full
of polish students in exile:
"So young and already Polish"

Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 13:25

From the Evergetinos (www.goarch.org):

Abba Antonios said: The time is coming when people will be seized by manias and will behave like madmen. And if they see anyone acting reasonably, they will rise up against him saying: You are insane. And they will have accurately said this to him, for he will not be like them.

A young monk sadly said the following to the holy Poimen: My body, Abba, has been weakened by ascetic practices, but my passions do not yield. The passions, my child, answered the wise Father, are similar to tough thorns; in uprooting them, your hands of necessity bleed.

I burn with the passion to be martyred for the love of Christ, a neophyte monk one day said to an experienced elder.

If you gladly take up your brothers burden at a time of temptation, the elder answered him, it is like being thrown into the furnace with the three Holy Children.

And see what Abba Moses says of prayer: Take care to maintain deep in your heart cognizance of your sinful state, that your prayer might be acceptable. When you occupy your mind with your own sins, you will not have time to keep track of the faults of others.

God requires these three things, which were bestowed in Holy Baptism, from every man: correct belief in his soul, truth on his tongue, and moderation in his body.

When people honor you, humble yourself all the more at that moment, and say in your mind: If they truly knew who I were, they would show me no regard at all. In this way, you will not cause injury to your soul, a wise elder said.

If God, in his forbearance, tolerates us when we serve sin, said a wise elder, how much more will His mercy strengthen us, when we struggle for what is good.

Abba Poimen said: A man may seem silent, but if in his heart he condemns others, he is talking ceaselessly. Yet there may be someone else who talks from morning until night, who, because he says nothing unprofitable, is truly silent.

The saints are like various trees, each bearing different fruit, but watered from the same source. The practices of one saint differ from those of another, but the same Spirit works in them, said one great Father.

One Father says: The nearer a man draws to God, the more he sees himself a sinner.

A modern elder said: Any man who thinks that he can solve his own problems is like a bird which intends to fly without wings.

The ancient Fathers, a certain elder said, when their spiritual work became known to others, saw this not as a virtue, but as a sin.

And one of my Favorites:

When Peter was fleeing persecution in Rome he encountered Christ outside the walls. Peter asked "Lord, where are you Going?" To this Christ replied, "I am going to Rome, to be crucified again." Hearing this Peter returned to Rome to be martyred.

-Akolouthos

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 14:02
"Regardless of the circumstances, death and reunion with God is something to be cherished and celebrated. Men cannot possibly impact the heavens with their sins because the land of the souls is beyond our reach. I shall never forget the beauty of sunsets at Auschwitz and the message they contained."
- Greta Ferusic

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 15:38
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God that endowned us with sense, reason, and intellect has intedended us to forego their use" - Galileo Galilei

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>