Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest quotes of history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest quotes of history
    Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 16:57

Finally with the help of Paul i found the quote about Waterloo which i described earlier.

Battle is about to finish. Wellington is talking with general Uxbridge. One of the last canon balls in the battle hits the leg of Uxbridge:

UXBRIDGE: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"

WELLINGTON: "By God, sir, so you have!"

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 16:58
I have many that I have got recently.

"I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble." - Augustus Caesar

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

"It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life." - Julius Caesar

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Death is not the worst than can happen to men." - Plato

"No evil can happen to a good man, either in life or after death." - Plato

"If women are expected to do the same work as men, we must teach them the same things." - Plato

"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

"Death may be the greatest of all human blessings." - Socrates

"A friend is a second self." - Aristotle

"Give me where to stand, and I will move the earth." - Archimedes

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, Time." - Pericles

"Men trust their ears less than their eyes." - Herodotus

"This is the bitterest pain among men, to have much knowledge but no power." - Herodotus

A happy life consists in tranquillity of mind. - Cicero

It is not possible to fight beyond your strength, even if you strive. - Homer

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. - Socrates

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends. - J. R. R. Tolkien

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - J. R. R. Tolkien

It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends. - J. K. Rowling

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides

The wisest men follow their own direction. - Euripides
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 17:53

"Young men, hear an old man who old men harkened when he was young"

Augustus caeser

At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Italian proverb

"One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life, that word is love"

Sophocles

"Its amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day just exactly fits the newspaper"

Jerry sienfeld

Edited by amir khan
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 18:31

"My goal is to be a failure in life, if I fail my goal I would be successful, and if I succed my goal still I would be successful!" Unknown

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 18:34
Originally posted by amir khan

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Italian proverb

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 19:19

"Few things are harder to put with than the annoyance of a good example".    Mark Twain

Frequent source of discord on AE?

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 09:51
Hi,

One day the French philosopher Maupertuis answered to his good friend the king of Prussia Frederick II (the Great) during a long-lasting drinking party in the Sans-soucis Postdam palace when the latter asked him "where are you going now?" while Maupertuis was suddenly leaving the table:

"Sir, in your person everything is great including your bladder".

Bye.

I am a free donkey!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 10:00
"Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong." (Diefenbaker)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 10:32

"Either bring this shield back as victor or let thou be brought dead on this"

This is what the Spartan women said, when their sons departed for war (cruel .)

"To give you the City is neither my right nor any other's of its inhabitants; for, by a common decision, all of us we shall prefer to die and we shall not spare our lives"

Constantine XI answer to Mohammed II (May 29, 1453)

And last but not least my signature  .

Aeschylus said it after the battle of Marathon

Laila112 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Laila112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 16:22

"Crime always finds lawyers, and innocence only rarely..."

Albert Camus

Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 04:47

"I am Cyrus, King of the World. When I entered Babylon I did not allow anyone to terrorize the land. I kept in view the needs of its people and all its sanctuaries to promote their well being. I put an end to their misfortune. The great God has delivered all lands into my hands, the lands that I have made to dwell in peaceful habitation."

Cyrus The Great

Edited by Alborz
"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 04:58

The exact long quote of Cyrus is this:

"I am Kourosh (Cyrus), King of the world, great king, mighty king, king of Babylon, king of the land of Sumer and Akkad, king of the four quarters, son of Camboujiyah (Cambyases), great king, king of Anshn, grandson of Kourosh (Cyrus), great king, king of Anshn, descendant of Chaish-Pesh (Teispes), great king, king of Anshn, progeny of an unending royal line, whose rule Bel and Nabu cherish, whose kingship they desire for their hearts, pleasure. When I well -disposed, entered Babylon, I set up a seat of domination in the royal palace amidst jubilation and rejoicing. Marduk the great god, caused the big-hearted inhabitations of Babylon to .................. me, I sought daily to worship him.
    At my deeds Marduk, the great lord, rejoiced and to me, Kourosh (Cyrus), the king who worshipped him, and to Camboujiyah (Cambyases), my son, the offspring of (my) loins, and to all my troops he graciously gave his blessing, and in good sprit before him we glorified exceedingly his high divinity. All the kings who sat in throne rooms, throughout the four quarters, from the Upper to the Lower Sea, those who dwelt in ..................., all the kings of the West Country, who dwelt in tents, brought me their heavy tribute and kissed my feet in Babylon. From ... to the cities of Ashur, Susa, Agade and Eshnuna, the cities of Zamban, Meurnu, Der as far as the region of the land of Gutium, the holy cities beyond the Tigris whose sanctuaries had been in ruins over a long period, the gods whose abode is in the midst of them, I returned to their places and housed them in lasting abodes.

I gathered together all their inhabitations and restored (to them) their dwellings. The gods of Sumer and Akkad whom Nabounids had, to the anger of the lord of the gods, brought into Babylon. I, at the bidding of Marduk, the great lord, made to dwell in peace in their habitations, delightful abodes.

May all the gods whom I have placed within their sanctuaries address a daily prayer in my favour before Bel and Nabu, that my days may be long, and may they say to Marduk my lord, "May Kourosh (Cyrus) the King, who reveres thee, and Camboujiyah (Cambyases) his son ..."
    Now that I put the crown of kingdom of Iran, Babylon, and the nations of the four directions on the head with the help of (Ahura) Mazda, I announce that I will respect the traditions, customs and religions of the nations of my empire and never let any of my governors and subordinates look down on or insult them until I am alive. From now on, till (Ahura) Mazda grants me the kingdom favor, I will impose my monarchy on no nation. Each is free to accept it , and if any one of them rejects it , I never resolve on war to reign. Until I am the king of Iran, Babylon, and the nations of the four directions, I never let anyone oppress any others, and if it occurs , I will take his or her right back and penalize the oppressor.

And until I am the monarch, I will never let anyone take possession of movable and landed properties of the others by force or without compensation. Until I am alive, I prevent unpaid, forced labor. To day, I announce that everyone is free to choose a religion. People are free to live in all regions and take up a job provided that they never violate other's rights.

No one could be penalized for his or her relatives' faults. I prevent slavery and my governors and subordinates are obliged to prohibit exchanging men and women as slaves within their own ruling domains. Such a traditions should be exterminated the world over.

I implore to (Ahura) Mazda to make me succeed in fulfilling my obligations to the nations of Iran (Persia), Babylon, and the ones of the four directions.
    "
"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 00:40
It was a woman that drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her.

W.C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 12:54
"You're unique, just like everybody else." - Anonymous

"When a Croat woman is making love to her husband and finds scratches on his back, she will pull herself away from him and feel the bitter pain of sorrow. When a Bosniak woman is making love to her husband and finds scratches on his back, she will press her nails into those red lines until they bleed to mark her territory. So it is in everything else for us." - Sabina Izetbegovic
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 14:48
  • I have never won a debate with an ignorant person.
  • The best deed of a great man is to forgive and forget.
  • There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
  • He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare
    And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere.
  • Loving one another is half of wisdom.
  • One who imagines himself to be all-knowing will surely suffer on account of his ignorance.
  • Like your body your mind also gets tired so refresh it by wise sayings.

Imam Ali Bin Abi Talib.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 15:20
"Behind every great fortune, there is a great crime." - Balzac

Edited by barish
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 15:27

Do not consider the intestinal conflicts of sects: For, not having found the truth, they went to the invention...

~ Hafez Shirazi

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 15:34
Saadi's most famous poem focuses on the kinship of all humans which is used to grace the entrance to the Hall of Nations of the UN building in New York with this call for breaking all barriers

All human beings in truth are akin,
All in creation share one origin,
When fate allots, a member pangs and pains,
No ease for others remains,
If unperturbed, anothers grief canst scan,
Thou are not worthy of the name of man. 

~ Saadi Shirazi

Iranian proverbs:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7065& ;PN=1
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 17:48
      No enemy is so annoying as one who was a friend, or still is a friend,
and there are many more of these than one would suspect.

-William Saroyan
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 13:50
"The future belongs to the nation who appreciates her past"

-????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>