Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest quotes of history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest quotes of history
    Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 17:10

In one of the radio stations in my country everyday they describe one of the great moments of history and somthing together with famous quote which was said by someone who took part in one of those historic moments. For example they were talking about famous "Vae Victis" or "Alea iacta est".

Today iv heard a really nice one. It happend when Napoleon and tsar Alexander met for negotiations. When they were walking in the garden they passed by a French guard who had face with many scars and wounds. Tsar Alexander stopped and watched the guards face. Suddenly he asked Napoleon:

"Sir, what do you think about men who can inflict such wounds?"

Napoleon didnt answer. When they were going to continue their walk, they heard an old guard saying:

"they all are dead".

What are your favourite great quotes of history?

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 17:30
"Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted."

President Eisenhower, during his farewell address in 1961.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:04
I rather meant this kind of quotes which are one sentence or sentence and sharp riposte. Not speeches.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:35
Hi,
There are many but here is one I quite like:
During the Albigeois crusade in Southern France, crusaders were ready to
attack a castle when an officier asked his boss, Simon de Montfort: "but
there are good catholics among these filthy heretics, what shall we do?"
and Montfort answered
"Kill them all, God shall recognize his owns"
Nice fellows ain't it?
Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:27

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hi,
and Montfort answered
Nice fellows ain't it?
Bye.

Good one. Iv heard it before but i didnt know where it comes from. Now i know

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:37

It can only be the greatest single uncompleted quote in history,

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . . . . . . . . . "

General John Sedgwick

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:55
Originally posted by Paul

It can only be the greatest single uncompleted quote in history,

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . . . . . . . . . "

General John Sedgwick

ROFLMAO.

Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:57
"Do you know how stupid the average person in the street is? Well statistically speaking half of them are even dumber than that" - Terry Pratchett.
Nuenonne Palawa-kani wrageowrapper.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:17
"Nuts." - General Anthony McAuliffe's reply to the German demand for surrender at the Battle of the Bulge

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 04:20
Jean Claude Van Damme.

"I love peanuts, they are sweet and salter, like women. So when I eat peanuts I get thirsty and have beers, and when I've beer I get hungry and want peanuts. Peanuts are the perpetual cycle at the reach of man."
Vae victis!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hi,
and Montfort answered
Nice fellows ain't it?
Bye.

I'm afriad that Simon de Montfort did not actually say that. This response was given by the Papal legate commanding in the armies, not de Montfort himself.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 05:17
"Solomon, I have outdone thee" - Justinian the Great on completion of Haghia Sophia. You would want to brag too at a moment like that.
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:19
During the Battle of Thermopylae, 480 BCE:

The Greeks deployed themselves in a phalanx and layered spearpoints, spanning the entire width of the pass. The Persians, armed with arrows and short spears, could not break through the long spears of the Greek phalanx, nor were their lightly armoured men a match for the superior armour, weaponry and discipline of the Greek hoplites. Enormous casualties were sustained by the Persians as the disciplined Spartans orchestrated a series of feint retreats, followed by a quick turn back into formation. Because of the terrain, the Persians were unable to surround or flank the Greeks, thus rendering their superior numbers almost useless. Greek morale was high. Herodotus wrote that when Dienekes, a Spartan soldier, was informed that Persian arrows blotted out the sun, he remarked with characteristically laconic prose, "So much the better, we shall fight in the shade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:47
MacArthur's: "I shall return" When he had to retreat from SE asia
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 13:03

Winning is not everything, it is the ONLY thing!

Attributed to the professional American football coach Vince Lombardi, this proverb stresses the importance of reaching a goal no matter what effort is required.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 13:15

There are many more but this one is really special to me as one may take it as aim of his life;

Nothing is impossible in this world even the word itself says "I" "M" "Possible".
(don't know who has said it but certainly it is something special)

The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that refuse military service.

Albert Einstein

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 17:33
Kill a man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conquerer. Kill everyone, and you are a god.

Jean Rostand

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Steven Wright

Edited by dirtnap

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 19:20
Hi,
Again from Franch history:
Danton (revolutionary for a while archenemy of Robespierre) to the
executionor when he laid down on the guillotine:
Show my head to the people, it worsts it.

Oh! and one last one:
Napoleon wrote to Josephine after one of his victories:
Don't wash I'm coming
Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 19:36

I remember that there was a good one about battle of Waterloo but i cant find it anywhere.

Battle is about to finish. Wellington is talking with other british general. One of the last canon balls in the battle hits the leg of the british general and cuts it off. He says to Wellington:

Sir, i think i lost my leg.

Wellington answers:

Im afraid that you are right sir.

Or it was somthing similar to this. I cant find anywhere the exact description of this event and quote.

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 19:49

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>