Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 128>
Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 22:13
I didn't tell you to drop down anyone. I simply said the sources of his battles have been mostly from his own side and when this happens things tend to be exagirated. Every side in almost every battle does this which is why we often rely on a third party member (such as Poland between Stefan and the Turks) or an inbetween number to judge numbers of troops. I simply said we have more information on Salahudin and I prefered him to Khalid. That was all.

I'm curious what some of Khalid's tactics were. I personally prefer the use of smaller numbers in ambushes or using movement to win the battles. Vlad's Night Attack is an example of that. Decebal's victories were also impressive.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 00:17
The best resource I've read on Khalid was:

The Sword of Allah: Khalid bin Al-Waleed, His Life and Campaigns

It was available free online, but the source is gone.  I don't know if it is still around online free.  It used to be at SwordofAllah.com, but that link is dead.
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 19:04
Originally posted by DSMyers1

The best resource I've read on Khalid was:

The Sword of Allah: Khalid bin Al-Waleed, His Life and Campaigns

It was available free online, but the source is gone.  I don't know if it is still around online free.  It used to be at SwordofAllah.com, but that link is dead.

Try here.

http://www.grandestrategy.com/2007/12/sword-of-allah-khalid-bin-al-waleed.html
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 19:52
Thanks, Challenger2.  That is what I was looking for; that was my primary reference on Khalid.
Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 04:22

Originally posted by Shadowcry

Could someone explain to me why Alexander is considered a better general than Chinggis, not to start a nationalistic flame war just curious on why people would consider him better.

The search function is your friend Smile.

Hello,

I also find it odd that Alexander has managed to remain number 1 on this list. He was certainly a brilliant tactician, but so were the other generals at the top of this list. And as a strategist, I think he comes up a little short. As far as I know, the best that can be said about his strategic acumen was that it was never tested to the same degree as, say, Genghis Khan's. Alexander's father left him with what was almost definitely the world's best army at the time, and his strategic plan for the conquest of Persia was basically to march to Perspolis and destroy any force he met on the way. He didn't have to avoid unwanted battles, he didn't have to soften up or divide a superior enemy - his army could plow through anything it encountered.

Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Hannibal and Timur all started with much less than Alexander and none (except maybe Timur) could depend on their own forces being able to outclass any enemy head-to-head.

If I'm wrong, and Alexander did prove he was as adept at forcing and avoiding battle (or that he took any other measures to minimize the burden of each battle on his soldiers) as Genghis Khan, I'm happy to be corrected.

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 13:49
Basically, I don't like Napoleon or Hannibal at the top since they eventually lost.  Timur I don't feel is quite in the same class as the other 4.  And that link discussed why I put Alexander over Genghis....

EDIT:  I would say that 4 out of the 5 had the best army of the age; Hannibal did not (or at least it was equalled by the Romans by the end).

You can only measure a general by how the performed in their situation; Alexander performed (from a standpoint of generalship) nearly flawlessly.  No, he didn't demonstrate as many of the various skills--but remember, he was inventing many of the techniques, the tactics...  He didn't have millenia of examples to study.  (Though I suppose Genghis didn't either).

Edited by DSMyers1 - 11-Jun-2008 at 14:11
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 23:04

In regards to Napoleon and Hannibal losing in the end, I think Alexander caught a break by dying. Okay stupid sentence but Alexander inherits his father's army (and some tactics and techniques, I stress some) in 336BC and turns back from India in 326BC, a span of only ten years. Alexander's goal was to conquer India and didn't do so although he tried, so this could be considered losing in the end.

I realize Napoleon's and Hannibal's years of solo campaigning are only slightly longer but think of this: what would Napoleon be above Alexander if he had died before invading Russia, therefore not losing in the end? My point is that a spot based on whether he lost in the end is shaky and that political factors and life expectancy have too much of an influence on this. It's more accurate to evaluate based on campaigns won and lost overall, not the outcome of his final campaign. Alexander's few campaigns obviously would not be able to compare to Temujin and Napoleon's many.

Also, I've been reading up on logistics and are beginning to support a removal of Rommel from the list. Previous members pointed out he was over-hyped by Germany, his campaigns weren't THAT exceptional and there were plenty of mobile commanders as good as him. I'd like to add that the decisions he made in North Africa were ignorant of all logistical considerations. He constantly asked for more supplies, more men, more everything but never understood that the ports of North Africa couldn't support these demands, which he only realized after the fact. He also made the problem even worse by continuing to extend his supply lines with offensives that would never achieve a grand strategic victory in North Africa. By extending his supply lines and receiving reinforcements, he hampered other German theaters. Let the flood gates open for Rommel bashers.
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 01:03

I accept that Napoleon and Hannibal lose some of their lustre for having lost - although, as Jonathan pointed out, there's room for argument there - but I just don't see how Alexander winds up ahead of Genghis. Genghis conquered more than Alexander, and he had less to work with. I disagree that the Mongols had the best army of their age, at least in Genghis' time. They were poorly equipped compared to their enemies, the only thing they had in abundance was horses, and they were hardly unique in that regard. The Khwarazmian army was very similar to theirs, except for being larger and better equipped.

I actually think that Alexander's career mirrored Timur's very closely (to be clear, I would rank Alexander ahead of Timur). They were both great conquerors who suffered from a lack of direction in their strategic goals. I would consider this an important aspect of generalship, and it did hurt Alexander. After all, his troops eventually mutinied because they felt his campaigns weren't going anywhere.

General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 01:45
Well some defeats are greater then most victories. Such as the battle of Valea Alba by Stefan Cel Mare (The Great) where he lost 200 men and had 800 captured this is according to the chronicle of the Venetian Donaldo, who was in the Ottoman army, and Jan Dlugosz, a contemporary Polish chronicler. Stefan brought 10,000 - 20,000 men vs 150,000 Ottoman Turks. A ratio of 150:1. Stefan wanted to continue to fight but the boiars wanted to withdraw. He could have wiped out the entire Turkish force with 1,000 or so losses.

With defeats like that who needs victories.

Some chronicles about Stefan from the outside:

in 1499, after Stephen the Great signs a peace with Poland and Hungary it writes "the Turkish emperor Baiezid, hearing of this peace between christians, fearing especially Stephen voievod of Moldova, asked for peace from king Albert [of Poland]"

After the Night Attack by Vlad Tepes, Byzantine chronicler Doukas wrote that "the Sultan became deathly scared of the night Mehmed II, emperor of constantinople, afraid of going to bed!! Nothing to do with Stefan but still funny. Should add Vlad up there if he already isn't.

Uliantski 1504: "the Sultan said when he placed the Volga tatars in Chilia that 'if you can hold the Moldavians, we can advance anywhere in the world without trouble'"

Mateid de Murano 1502: "From what many high-ranking people and merchants from Nicopolis tell me, the Turks are greatly scared of this lord [Stephen] and his christians"

another quote from Dlugosz, when he describes the battle at Vaslui, he says Stephen was "the greatest of all the world's princes who scored such a brilliant victory over the Turks"

even the Sultan's wife said "the Turkish army has never suffered such a defeat as it did there"

Edited by Carpathian Wolf - 13-Jun-2008 at 01:46
Romano-Dacis View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Romano-Dacis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 03:38
Carpathian Wolf, I too am a big fan of Stephen the Great. Dlugosz records the 200 dead figure, as does Donado da Lezze. Angiolello, another Venetian who participated in the campaign, also gives the 200 dead and 800 captured figure. Angiolello also shows a lot of pride in "taking their artillery." It's amazing he can feel proud about this after being bloodied so badly

Stephen fought outnumbered 15:1 in most chronicles. His kill ratio was what was 150:1, killing 30,000 Turks while losing only 200 men in battle (800 we captured in the retreat). This was done by fortifying his position, setting fire to the forest the Turks were marching through, and effective use of artillery and muskets. It is said the janissaries themselves went prone for fear of the Moldavian gunpowder. What I find really interesting is that Stephen puts this as his "greatest and most tragic defeat", surely a reflection of the greatness of his other victories. The battle itself is said to have begun at 3 past noon, and lasted until sunset, when Stephen retreated. It is said the name of the location, Valea Alba, meaning "white valley", comes from the many bones that littered the field a month after the battle.

Edited by Romano-Dacis - 13-Jun-2008 at 03:46
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 10:12
Originally posted by Romano-Dacis

Stephen fought outnumbered 15:1 in most chronicles.

Don't believe too much in old chronicles. Apart from exaggeration of enemy forces, you have to take into consideration the fact that the Turks counted their army in different way than Europeans. My friend and historian Radosław Sikora, has proved that real amounts of Ottoman armies had only about 30% its official amount.

Edited by ataman - 13-Jun-2008 at 10:13
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Romano-Dacis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 14:12
That would still leave him outnumbered 5:1.

BTW, the numbers of enemy troops don't come from only Christian chronicles, but also from Turkish ones as well. Sikora's main arguments come from the fact that he doesn't count camp assistants (the equivalent of squires) as part of the army, but that's pretty dumb. Supposedly a Western knight needed a support team of 5 other people, so should we divide all the European armies by 5? No.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 14:47

BTW, the numbers of enemy troops don't come from only Christian chronicles, but also from Turkish ones as well.

Exactly. These official Ottoman numbers are exaggerated over 3 times.

Sikora's main arguments come from the fact that he doesn't count camp assistants (the equivalent of squires) as part of the army, but that's pretty dumb. Supposedly a Western knight needed a support team of 5 other people, so should we divide all the European armies by 5? No.

No Smile?
First of all, Ottomans counted each living creature. It means they counted all people and all animals (camels, horses).
Moreover, Europeans didn't count camp followers to the amount of its army. They counted only soldiers (for example they counted knights and their retainers who followed knights in a battle, but they didn't count wagon drivers, foragers, stablemen, tailors, cooks and another men who didn't follow knigts in a battle). The Ottomans counted everybody.
That is why Polish army composed of 10 000 cavalrymen was in fact more numerous than Ottoman army composed of 30 000 cavalrymen.

Edited by ataman - 13-Jun-2008 at 15:14
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 16:13
Hello to you all

I don't think there is a good case for Stefan Cel Mare to be included in the top 100 but this thing needs to be studied more carefully. The guy won the battle of Vaslui but he lost his independence the next year which actualy cast doubt on what really happened in Vaslui, was it a great victory or most likely a Pyrrhic one because the guy only gathered less than half the numbers he had in Vaslui just 18 months earlier. Also get real, if he indeed lost 200 (0.01 of his total army) as opposed to 1/3rd of the ottoman army wouldn't that be an incentive to rebellion once the Ottomans left? the fact of the matter is he remained a loyal vassal, which isn't a negative thing since Ottomans had great regard for them and they didn't occupy their lands, even when dynastic problems occured and he had the chance to rebel.

Al-Jassas
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 17:57
After reviewing what Stefan Cel Mare did, I'm thinking strongly of moving him up, perhaps to around 20th...  It looks exceptional.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Romano-Dacis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 19:58
Stefan cel Mare did not lose his independence next year, where did you hear this!? He defeated the Turks at Vaslui, "lost" at Valea Alba, Turks went home badly bruised twice, in 1484 he lost his access to the sea, and it was only in 1499 that Moldavia made peace with the Ottomans (not vassality btw, the Turks called for peace).

I have no idea where you read this but you need better sources. Stephen the Great ousted Turkish vassals in Wallachia from 1470-1483 so I don't see where you find any hint of vassality. LOL

Heck, go back and read Carpathian Wolf's quotes. Why would the Ottomans be afraid of a "vassal".

Stephen must be spinning in his grave to hear this.

Edited by Romano-Dacis - 13-Jun-2008 at 20:04
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 20:25
Well Skanderbeg is 27 and he only won 8 or 10 battles against the Turks. Stefan won what? 36 out of 38 battles and one of his losses was the one discussed here which was remarkable. And Stefan also fought against other forces well. He defeated the Golden Horde of Ahmed Khan at Lipnic. Beat them at their own game of archery. He defeated the poles. He defeated the Hungarians at Baia.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Romano-Dacis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 20:29
I agree that's another factor we need to keep in mind. Many of these people (Skanderbeg, Hunyadi, Wellington etc.) were only fighting one enemy with one type of army, while Stephen the Great was fighting many different types of enemies successfully, showing his flexibility and adaptability on the battlefield, surely a sign of a great general.

Stephen had to know how to beat everything from heavy western knights to swift tatar horsearchers to janissaries; that takes far more skill than fighting only one enemy.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 22:25
Hello to you all

Well, when we look at facts, not just chronicles which are biased, we see a different story. I didn't say Stefan wasn't a good general I just said he might not be a top 100 generals material.

His defeat of the Golden horde wasn't glamorous because every one had defeated them by that time and it was in a very weak state. Dynastic conflict, wars against every one and large defections to other tatar states like those in Siberia and Crimea all affected the strength of the horde and led to its eventual distruction not long after that battle.

the second point is the conflict between what is said in the chronicles and what happened on the ground. When he took wallachia the ottomans were engaged against Venice and the hungarians who were much more potent than a far away principality that occupied a vassal who just paid tribute. The Venetians and ungarians threatened the existance of the Ottoman empire in europe. When they were dealt with they launched a campaing to regain what they lost, the lost the first round and won the second. and remember this, he only defeated real ottoman forces once, he beat their vassals, other Romanian nobles, many times and there is a lot of difference. The ottomans abandoned their attack though it was successful for various reasons but they weren't defeated. Later when a new Sultan came, he decided to continue what his father didn't and Bayazid attacked Moldavia and successfully conquered it though it took some time. Stefan beat the ottomans in the last campaign several times but in the end he lost the war and in 1486 he accepted vassalge which was againt not a bad thing, he was still independent in his own country and fought the poles under the name of the Ottomans and who know, may they even gave him some troops.

Al-Jassas
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 23:00

After reviewing what Stefan Cel Mare did, I'm thinking strongly of moving him up, perhaps to around 20th...  It looks exceptional.

i was proposing Stefan cel mare several times in this thread but apparently i wasn't heard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 128>