Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decay of the Ottoman Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decay of the Ottoman Empire
    Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 17:13

No, I am not confusing my economics here.   I originally heard that last year in a university business lecture, not tourism, but business.  I think you just cannot accept it for whatever reason. 

Tourism is a highly fragmented industry, but as a single industry or sector it is the largest in the world, what is larger? 

http://www.pkf.co.uk/web/PKF800.nsf/pagesbyID/ID1B27E8E1F1B0 FC4580256B4B0055ACDE?OpenDocument

Here is another source, one of the biggest accountant firms in the UK. I think they know what they are talking about. You can choose to accept it or not, but the fact remains.

I do not think I am confused in my economics, GDP is all the income generated in a country, from Ihsan paying for an Ibrahim Tatlises CD, to the bank ordering and paying for more ATM paper slips.

Tell me how much the textiles industry in Turkey is worth. We know how much the Tourism industry is worth ($16bn?), I just read something saying textiles from 2003 were $15bn.  So even if tourism isnt the biggest earner, it is the second biggest earner, no real effect on my point.

Edited by Zagros
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 17:41
Originally posted by Mortaza

Well,it is true that only economy better than the Turkey's neighbors is Greece.

Thanks to EU, without EU greece economy would be worse than turkey with that  much military spendings

And that thanks to Turkish military Equipments.....

The truth is that Hellas has money on it's own,but:

- the goverments are too incapable of using them properly.Our tax money are used for "other purposes":if you look  the budget of the politicians you will get shocked.......

-tax evasion is a big problem,especially that of the rich

-most of the money are being "lost" in Hellenic byreaucracy

And for those and other  reasons we have to take more money coming from Europe.

An example:Let's not forget that Hellas has one of  the biggest commercial fleets in the planet but most of the ships are outside of the country and under foreign flags in order to allow Hellen shipowners  to avoid more taxes from the State.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2006 at 06:27

- the goverments are too incapable of using them properly.Our tax money are used for "other purposes":if you look  the budget of the politicians you will get shocked.......

-tax evasion is a big problem,especially that of the rich

-most of the money are being "lost" in Hellenic byreaucracy

are you talking about Turkey

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2006 at 08:36
No.In Turkey the problem is even bigger.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678