Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heirs of Byzantium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Poll Question: Who do you believe are the true heirs of Byzantium?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [12.90%]
37 [39.78%]
2 [2.15%]
1 [1.08%]
14 [15.05%]
0 [0.00%]
27 [29.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heirs of Byzantium
    Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 16:26
Yes I have read the link about the digs mentioned in that 1992 article. Also on that web page we have another voice which relied on primary sources instead:

It says that the Bulgars lived in the Cuacasus, moved into Armenia, were disrupted by the Hun migrations and settled in lands of Byzantium with the remaining Huns. The Bulgars livied in towns instead of tents according to 'Church history' of Zachariah the Rhetor.

The texts also locate north of the Caucasus the Unogundurs, a name that is very similar to that of the Onogurs. Almost all chroniclers connect the Unogundurs with the Proto-Bulgarians. For example the Byzantine patriarch Nicephorus calls the ruler of Great Bulgaria khan Kubrat "the ruler of the Unogundurs", [16] and both Theophanes the Confessor and Constantinus Porphyrogeneus explicitly state that the Bulgarians, settled in the Balkans, had been called earlier Unogundurs [17], [18].

...Another tribe, akin to the Proto-Bulgarians, were the Utigurs. They are mentioned only by the Byzantine historian Procopius Caesariensis and his continuators Agathias and Menander in connection with events that took place during the middle and the second half of the 6-th century. Most detailed is the record of Procopius: "Beyond the Sagins dwell many Hunnish tribes. The land is called Evlisia and barbarians populate the sea-coast and the inland up to the so called lake of Meotida and the river Tanais (Don). The people living there were called Cimmerians, and now they are called Utigurs. North of them are the populous tribes of the Antes." [21]

The Kutrigurs were an akin to the Utrigurs tribe. This is evident from the genealogical legend, preserved by Procopius: "In the old days many Huns, called then Cimmerians, inhabited the lands I mentioned already. They all had a single king. Once one of their kings had two sons: one called Utigur and another called Kutrigur. After their father's death they shared the power and gave their names to the subjected peoples, so that even nowadays some of them are called Utigurs and the others - Kutrigurs." This is also confirmed by the words of the Utigur khan Sandilh [23] when he was asked by Justinian to attack the Kutrigurs: "It is neither fair nor decent to exterminate our tribesmen (the Kutrigurs), who not only speak a language, identical to ours, who are our neighbours and have the same dressing and manners of life, but who are also our relatives, even  though subjected to other lords."

They were relatively easy subjugated by the Avars who crossed Volga in 558. After a short stay in the East-European steppes the Avars, carrying away with them a considerable number of Kutrigurs, were forced by the Turcuts (tu-cu) to leave for Central Europe and to settle in Pannonia.  An evidence for the Kutrigur's presence in Central Europe is the information of Menander that in 568 a 10,000 strong army of Kutrigurs, following orders of the Avar khan Bajan, attacked and sacked Dalmatia.

This article goes on to discuss an Avar-Bulgar connection for those who didn't know.

-I call the attempt to prove a heavy Thracian-Bulgar connection as feeble and revisionist. Especially when their is a lack of primary accounts of such a connection. Especially when a such a high proportion of Thracian descent is put to a vote here on AE as if that proves anything other than wishful thinking by those who insist on such a percentage. Not only do you support articles of such thinking but you try to disprove an eurasian connection that is well documented.

Anton in your respsonse I also suggest that we carry this discussion over to the Bulgarian Orgins thread.

Edited by Seko - 27-Oct-2007 at 16:35
Deano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 17:02
I voted none of the above because I think the heirs re the turks and greeks.
I AM FARTAKUS!
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 19:04
Originally posted by Anton

Athanasios you constantly talk about this homogenization but never provided any evidence for it.  Did you read Strabo and his chapter about Thracians? It was written after Macedonian domination and shows no sign of some hellenization of Thracians especially those on the north.

I can't find why should i make research to specific sources to explain a fact,like this. If Hellenization sounds weird to you, the stages of Romanization and Slavicization were important too for the evolution of the Thracian civilization . The contacts with Celts and Huns were also important , just they didn't last that much to talk about homogenization.Disapprove

Irina View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote Irina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 19:10
Hello to You all..Embarrassed I voted for the Bulgarians and Greeks because as the closest geograpfically Orthodox countries to what was once Byzantium I think they were influenced more than the others...
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 19:30
Originally posted by Athanasios

I can't find why should i make research to specific sources to explain a fact,like this. If Hellenization sounds weird to you, the stages of Romanization and Slavicization were important too for the evolution of the Thracian civilization . The contacts with Celts and Huns were also important , just they didn't last that much to talk about homogenization.Disapprove

It depends on what you call Hellenization and Slavicisation and when did it happen. If you mean substitution of one culture by another than yes, I find it weird.

If these figures are anywhere near the truth, it would follow that the native Greek speakers represented less than a third of the total population, say 8 million, making allowance for the unassimilated peoples of Asia Minor and for the Latin and Thracian speakers of the Balkans. The Greek, Coptic and Aramaic elements would thus have been on a footing of near parity. Compared to the spread of Latin in Gaul and Spain, it must be admitted that the Greek language had made very limited progress between the third century BC and the sixth century AD. This was no doubt due to the fact that Hellenization was largely centred on cities. About a century after the Arab conquest Greek had become practically extinct in both Syria and Egypt, which can only mean that it had not grown deep roots.

Cyril Mango
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 19:41
The only thing, Seko, what I do not understand where was it said (which exactly source) that they came from central Asia? All sources place them either north to Black Sea or close to Caucassus or even allow us to suggest that they lived as federats south of Danube. And all sources that you cited  suggest that they were authochtonous for North of Pontus.
Irina View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote Irina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 19:43

The only thing, Seko, what I do not understand where was it said (which exactly source) that they came from central Asia? All sources place them either north to Black Sea or close to Caucassus or even allow us to suggest that they lived as federats south of Danube. And all sources that you cited  suggest that they were authochtonous for North of Pontus.
What about the Pu-ku documented by the Chenese historians?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 19:46
Originally posted by Seko

Who am I really?

Who are you?

I am Anton Embarrassed

Slavs, Avars, Bulgars, Greeks, Turks, are they not part of today's Bulgar composition?

They are. Yet, you call "nationalistic historical revisionists" people who try to express alternative point of view.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 20:02
Originally posted by Irina

What about Pu-ku? I do not see any reason to suggest they were Bulgarians. Tse-ku lived close to Pu-ku are Czechs? If you ask me Pu-ku were Poles Wink
Irina View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote Irina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 20:02

They are. Yet, you call "nationalistic historical revisionists" people who try to express alternative point of view.
 There is a rumour that if the Bulgarians take under consideration what is on the subject in the archives in Rome they will change their Turkic doctrine to 180 degrees...also the Iranians claim to posess a lot of info on the subject but it still hasnt been payd  attention by the Bulgarian historians...The Turkic theory has been developed quite a long while ago...Maybe the names of Irechek and Zlatarsky a too scary for the present Bulgarian scientists to object against and officially propose a new thesis.
Irina View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote Irina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 20:05

Originally posted by Irina

What about Pu-ku? I do not see any reason to suggest they were Bulgarians. Tse-ku lived close to Pu-ku are Czechs? If you ask me Pu-ku were Poles Wink
yes I agree with you...sounds more like the name of a people that even today lives near China-Pakistan is my suggestion.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 20:05
The scary is the fact that they will immidiatley be called nationalists and revisionists.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 20:06
But I agree with Athanasios that this is a bit far from the topic.
Ivailo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ivailo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 12:42
Maybe the Balkanic approach towards Ancient heritage is far too biased.Maybe the side view is more realistic.Hre is the western idea about the Greek nation doctrine build up:

by

The Myth of Greek Ethnic 'Purity'

Macedonia and Greece, John Shea, 1997 pp.77-96

The most significant statements inside are:

Greeks as Slavs.
 In recent historical time other Europeans have held the view that the people of modern Greece have little ethnic connection with the ancient Greeks. Robert Browning, 32 a writer who is sympathetic to the Greeks, discusses the writings of the Bavarian Johann Philipp Fallmerayer, who in 1830 proposed that the Slav invasions and settlements of the late sixth and seventh centuries resulted in the "expulsion or extirpation of the original population of peninsula Greece. Consequently the medieval and modern Greeks ... are not the descendants of the Greeks of antiquity, and their Hellenism is artificial." Fallmerayer's view that not a drop of pure Greek blood is to be found in the modern Greek is often held to be extreme. A more moderate version of essentially the same idea was presented more recently by R.H. Jenkins. 
Just as Macedonia and other Balkan states were invaded by Slavs and other peoples from the north and from within the Balkans themselves, so were the lands that eventually were to become modern Greece. We need to examine this issue, since the modern Greeks repeatedly argue that they are direct ethnic descendants of the ancient Greeks and Macedonians. The fact is that the ethnic, linguistic, and cultural developments that these invasions created simply built upon similar movements of peoples into and out of the Balkans in the ancient past. 

Many of the views that follow explain that, whether the Greeks feel comfortable with the idea or not, their peoples are of diverse ethnic background, a great mix of the peoples of the Balkans, and have been for the past several thousand years. If all of the peoples of the Balkans were subjected to mixture of varying degrees with the invaders, as was certainly the case, then the argument might readily be made that modern-day Greeks are no more ethnically related to early Greeks than present-day Macedonians are to ancient Macedonians

There is much agreement among historians about the dramatic and overpowering influx of Slavic peoples to Greece. These people often intermarried and were assimilated in the "Roman" culture. Some writers tend to downplay the importance of the racial intermixture for Hellenization, suggesting that being a Hellene does not require particular racial antecedents. This is a point that modern Greeks appear unwilling to believe. Their preference seems to be simply to deny that "ethnological adulteration" ever took place. For example, in Macedonia, History and Politics (a publication sponsored by the Greek government and distributed throughout the English-speaking world) it is acknowledged (p. 10) that after Basil 11 there was a "solid Slav element" in Yugoslav and Bulgarian Macedonia, but it claims there was no impact at all in Greek Macedonia, or in Greece itself. The analyses from other sources lead us inevitably to a rejection of these claims. The Slavic influence in what is now Greece is clear

Greeks as Albanians.

Slavs were not the only groups to move into the southern part of the Balkan peninsula. Many Albanians came in also. Albanians settled in Athens, Corinth, Mani, Thessaly and even in the Aegean islands. In the early nineteenth century, the population of Athens was 24 percent Albanian, 32 percent Turkish, and only 44 percent Greek. The village of Marathon, scene of the great victory in 490 B.C., was, early in the nineteenth century, almost entirely Albanian." 

Nicholas Hammond a historian who is sympathetic to the Greek view that the ancient Macedonians were a Greek tribe and who has had several works published in Athens, is unable to support the Greek view on this matter. He says that by the middle of the fourteenth and early fifteenth century the majority of people in the Peloponnese were Albanian speakers. The fascinating point is that the people with whom they were competing for land were overwhelmingly not the original Greek-speaking Roman citizens, but the new breed of Greek-speaking Slavs. As Hammond says, many Greek-speaking people at that point in time were probably ethnic Slavs. 

Greeks as Vlachs.
 Also quite numerous during the eighteenth century in Greek lands and in territories that were to become Greek were the Vlachs. Hammond says that the Vlachs came in with the Albanians and provided leadership. He suggests that the Vlach peoples probably originated in Dacia, an area that is now part of Romania. Hammond says that the Vlachs managed to acquire possession of the great Pindus area. In general, they stayed in northern Greece and were never assimilated in terms of language the way that other ethnic groups were, though some groups ended the nomadic life and settled in Macedonia and in Thessaly. 

Greeks as Turks.
-it reminds us of the 400-year occupation of Greek lands by the Turks and the inevitable ethnic impact. It has already been noted that in the early part of the nineteenth century the population of Athens was about one-third Turk. "Auberon Waugh ... wrote in The Daily Telegraph that the Greeks of today, with hairy popos, flat noses and bushy eyebrows, are clearly a race of Turkish descent and have nothing to do with the Greeks of antiquity sculpted on the Elgin marbles." 

Edited by Ivailo - 28-Oct-2007 at 13:46
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 14:32
Originally posted by Ivailo

Maybe the Balkanic approach towards Ancient heritage is far too biased.Maybe the side view is more realistic.Hre is the western idea about the Greek nation doctrine build up:

by

Greeks as Slavs.
 In recent historical time other Europeans have held the view that the people of modern Greece have little ethnic connection with the ancient Greeks. Robert Browning, 32 a writer who is sympathetic to the Greeks, discusses the writings of the Bavarian Johann Philipp Fallmerayer, who in 1830 proposed that the Slav invasions and settlements of the late sixth and seventh centuries resulted in the "expulsion or extirpation of the original population of peninsula Greece. Consequently the medieval and modern Greeks ... are not the descendants of the Greeks of antiquity, and their Hellenism is artificial." Fallmerayer's view that not a drop of pure Greek blood is to be found in the modern Greek is often held to be extreme. A more moderate version of essentially the same idea was presented more recently by R.H. Jenkins. 
Just as Macedonia and other Balkan states were invaded by Slavs and other peoples from the north and from within the Balkans themselves, so were the lands that eventually were to become modern Greece. We need to examine this issue, since the modern Greeks repeatedly argue that they are direct ethnic descendants of the ancient Greeks and Macedonians. The fact is that the ethnic, linguistic, and cultural developments that these invasions created simply built upon similar movements of peoples into and out of the Balkans in the ancient past. 

Many of the views that follow explain that, whether the Greeks feel comfortable with the idea or not, their peoples are of diverse ethnic background, a great mix of the peoples of the Balkans, and have been for the past several thousand years. If all of the peoples of the Balkans were subjected to mixture of varying degrees with the invaders, as was certainly the case, then the argument might readily be made that modern-day Greeks are no more ethnically related to early Greeks than present-day Macedonians are to ancient Macedonians

There is much agreement among historians about the dramatic and overpowering influx of Slavic peoples to Greece. These people often intermarried and were assimilated in the "Roman" culture. Some writers tend to downplay the importance of the racial intermixture for Hellenization, suggesting that being a Hellene does not require particular racial antecedents. This is a point that modern Greeks appear unwilling to believe. Their preference seems to be simply to deny that "ethnological adulteration" ever took place. For example, in Macedonia, History and Politics (a publication sponsored by the Greek government and distributed throughout the English-speaking world) it is acknowledged (p. 10) that after Basil 11 there was a "solid Slav element" in Yugoslav and Bulgarian Macedonia, but it claims there was no impact at all in Greek Macedonia, or in Greece itself. The analyses from other sources lead us inevitably to a rejection of these claims. The Slavic influence in what is now Greece is clear

Greeks as Albanians.

Slavs were not the only groups to move into the southern part of the Balkan peninsula. Many Albanians came in also. Albanians settled in Athens, Corinth, Mani, Thessaly and even in the Aegean islands. In the early nineteenth century, the population of Athens was 24 percent Albanian, 32 percent Turkish, and only 44 percent Greek. The village of Marathon, scene of the great victory in 490 B.C., was, early in the nineteenth century, almost entirely Albanian." 

Nicholas Hammond a historian who is sympathetic to the Greek view that the ancient Macedonians were a Greek tribe and who has had several works published in Athens, is unable to support the Greek view on this matter. He says that by the middle of the fourteenth and early fifteenth century the majority of people in the Peloponnese were Albanian speakers. The fascinating point is that the people with whom they were competing for land were overwhelmingly not the original Greek-speaking Roman citizens, but the new breed of Greek-speaking Slavs. As Hammond says, many Greek-speaking people at that point in time were probably ethnic Slavs. 

Greeks as Vlachs.
 Also quite numerous during the eighteenth century in Greek lands and in territories that were to become Greek were the Vlachs. Hammond says that the Vlachs came in with the Albanians and provided leadership. He suggests that the Vlach peoples probably originated in Dacia, an area that is now part of Romania. Hammond says that the Vlachs managed to acquire possession of the great Pindus area. In general, they stayed in northern Greece and were never assimilated in terms of language the way that other ethnic groups were, though some groups ended the nomadic life and settled in Macedonia and in Thessaly. 

Greeks as Turks.
-it reminds us of the 400-year occupation of Greek lands by the Turks and the inevitable ethnic impact. It has already been noted that in the early part of the nineteenth century the population of Athens was about one-third Turk. "Auberon Waugh ... wrote in The Daily Telegraph that the Greeks of today, with hairy popos, flat noses and bushy eyebrows, are clearly a race of Turkish descent and have nothing to do with the Greeks of antiquity sculpted on the Elgin marbles." 

Sleepy Boring!

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 14:59
Not only boring but also with an agenda behind it. We've seen these kind of posts over and over again in this forum. What is clear is that these are not historical researches but exerts from different writers, sometimes mere travelers with no substantial value. An example is a copy of National Geographic I now hold in my hands, which mentions an article of a correspondent named Luigi Vilari who was mentioning about Macedonia is 1912: "Bulgarians are less witty and certainly not as smart as the Greeks or Vlachs", later: "they're not considered civilized" etc...you don't want to know what he's writing about the Albanians! This kind of superficial and perhaps prejudiced comments cannot be considered as historical research and same applies for some of the ridiculous claims mentioned above. They hide gross lies and agenda behind a shallow layer of truth (which is of course the fact that there have been certain movements of population).

What is a fact is that the "Slavinae" were isolated in the interior of the land, that most of the initial Slav immigration to what is today Greece was checked and reversed and that the Slavs were unable to conquer any fortified city (with minimal exceptions to the north). All were either soon absorbed by the local population or headed elsewhere.

It is widely accepted that while incursions to the Greek mainland had certainly happened, these were at a minimum compared to the rest of the Balkans.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 15:28
Originally posted by Ivailo

by

Greeks as Slavs.

Greeks as Albanians.

Greeks as Vlachs.

Greeks as Turks.

You know culture is not something that stay in your blood or in your dna  , after 1453 in essence the Hellenic people lost the greco roman tradition because most of the Byzantine-Hellenes (i.e. Eastern Roman) elite ( the carrier of knowledge) immigrate to West (the Hellenic community in Venice was established this period) and because Ottomans where interested to promote culture related to Islam the only tradition that kept the Hellenic people of the Ottoman empire were the Christian (through the church).After 1821 the     Diaspora Hellenes of Europe start through education transfer  again the greco roman tradition to the Hellenic people that live in the area of Ottoman empire. Actually western Europe became the carrier ,after the fallen of Byzantine empire , of the Greco Roman tradition and the development of the logic as mean to explain everything.
As concern the last paragraph is totally racistic and is also wrong because an orthodox Christian could not marry a Muslim or even a  catholic and with this meaning we have many islamized Hellenes but not the opposite.

Edited by Antioxos - 28-Oct-2007 at 15:30

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by Yiannis

Not only boring but also with an agenda behind it. We've seen these kind of posts over and over again in this forum. What is clear is that these are not historical researches but exerts from different writers, sometimes mere travelers with no substantial value.

Yes, finally someone said it!  But will they take it as such and stop the madness?  Nope.  What is the driving force behind this thread and the thousands of similar ones at AE?  No one can change someone else's mind; rather, it is to voice the same opinion ad nauseam until all opposition shuts up and one can keep posting over and over again. LOL

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 28-Oct-2007 at 16:29
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 17:29

Not only boring but also with an agenda behind it.
No doubts it is true. What I also find is that the same type of agenda is behind the part of your post below:

It is widely accepted that while incursions to the Greek mainland had certainly happened, these were at a minimum compared to the rest of the Balkans.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by Antioxos

As concern the last paragraph is totally racistic and is also wrong because an orthodox Christian could not marry a Muslim or even a  catholic and with this meaning we have many islamized Hellenes but not the opposite.

Antioxos, with all my respect, children are born not as a result of a marriage only.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>