Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest quotes of history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest quotes of history
    Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 21:42

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God that endowned us with sense, reason, and intellect has intedended us to forego their use" - Galileo Galilei

Wonderful quote!  I wonder if, in considering the persecution of Galileo, the Roman Church ever noticed that the councils that designed the doctrines she adheres to were composed of some of the greatest thinkers of the 3rd-8th centuries.

-Akolouthos

Avicenna View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Avicenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 23:22

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."

-Albert Einstein

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious.

Aristotle

Edited by Avicenna
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 00:06
Amra Hasic, Islamic Women's Rights Movement
Speech to rural Imams of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Sandzak

"...We are not interested in destroying a man's role in society nor are we  attempting to bring about any sort of Western feminism. We are not a group of 'Women from Sarajevo' [negative connotation] who dream to invade your communities with the offenses of urban life, a life that would certainly seem sinful and barbaric here. We are simply a group of grandmothers, mothers, sisters, and daughters who have come not to fight with you, but to ask you for your help...

...Islam is, beyond any doubt, the greatest gift God has ever given women. Not only does it form our faith, it also teaches us good from evil, right from wrong. It provides us with the loving instruction a father would give his cherished daughter and, simultaneously, the freedom and security a husband would give his devoted wife. Islam made us women people at a time when we were nothing more than cattle and afforded us centuries ago rights and responsibilities Western societies have only caught up to within the last century. As Imams, we need your help in protecting this sacred legacy...

...Roughly half of the young girls in rural Bosnia and Herzegovina do not attend highschool and one out of every ten has never set foot in any kind of educational institution in her life. It may seem a frivolous activity given that there is very little a woman can learn in school which would be of use in rural Bosnia and Herzegovina but this way of thinking is a mistake. It is not what a woman learns that is important, it is that she learns. Knowledge and learning are praised extensively in the Koran and it is by participating in these activities that a woman's mind develops...

...Our history is filled with proud and noble women. Khadija, Ajsa, Andzelina, Fata, Sabina are names we all recognize and women we all hold in our hearts. Housewives, artists, and intellectuals; doctors, journalists, and politicians. Every one of them made their families proud and honored the Bosniak people with their contributions to our society. Do you not want the same for your wives and your daughters? Do you not want to know that when you are long gone and they themselves have passed to eternal life, that their work on earth is recognized and remembered by others?...

...There is only one other era in modern Bosnian history when the situation for rural women was this dire: the 1920s. You can search all the history books, all the manuscripts, all the old newspapers - you will never find the story of any woman of significance because they were held back. They were not held back with evil intentions, but by misguided religious leaders. During this era there were women as beautiful as your wives, as clever and intelligent as your daughters - but their names and memories have been forgotten and their lives never afforded them an expression of their potential...

...If you do not your wives and daughters to be forgotten, to be remembered by your grandchildren as the weak and ignorent women of a suppressive era, then you must do something. You must work hard to ensure every young girl in rural Bosnia has access to an education, that is the easiest place to start. It is the greatest gift you could ever give your female loved ones. Please help them and you will be amazed at how happy, impressed, and unthreatened you will feel..."
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 00:55
"The laws of our universe don't change, but the way we understand them and translate them into human accessible coding."

[Anonymous]

"Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. And it is youth who must inherit the tribulation, the sorrow, and the triumphs that are the aftermath of war"
[ Herbert Clark Hoover ]

Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-- Lewis Grizzard --

don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
-- Abraham Lincoln --

All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

-Edmund Burke

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 07:57
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God that endowned us with sense, reason, and intellect has intedended us to forego their use" - Galileo Galilei

Wonderful quote!  I wonder if, in considering the persecution of Galileo, the Roman Church ever noticed that the councils that designed the doctrines she adheres to were composed of some of the greatest thinkers of the 3rd-8th centuries.

-Akolouthos

The Roman Catholic Church could never stop progress. Whenever they tried to burn Wycliffe's books, they got to Bohemia. Whenever they tried to stop the Hussite influence, a 15 year war occured. Whenever they tried to subdue John Knox in Scotland, it didn't work. It's pretty sad how they could never stop the Reformation whenever they tried to.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 08:36
Hi,
Emperor barbarossa what you say is soo untrue, check www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=10765&PN=1&TPN=1">here

"I love freedom... specialy mine"
Jean Gabin

"Eternity's long toward the end"
M. Woody Allen

Bye
I am a free donkey!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 09:41
First off, the link doesn't work. All I am saying is, that though the Catholic Church tried to censor the Reformation, they failed. How is that untrue?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 18:14

Leroy Satchel Page: (Black baseball player)

"Don't look back.......... something might be gaining on you"

"Age is mind over matter.....................if you don't mind it don't matter"

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 19:30
Originally posted by Avicenna

Any society that would give up a little liberty to
gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Where did you find tis one it is great and I'd like the references.
Bye. Well done.
I am a free donkey!
Renegade View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 21:59
"In life, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons."

Ah! I forgot who said this!
"I kill a few so that many may live."

- Sam Fisher
Avicenna View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Avicenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 00:13
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Originally posted by Avicenna

Any society that would give up a little liberty to
gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Where did you find tis one it is great and I'd like the references.
Bye. Well done.

i've read this before, but it also is here for your source...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty

where it says quotes at the bottom.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 13:41

Originally posted by Renegade

"In life, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons."

Ah! I forgot who said this!

I guess it was said by Jullies Ceaser.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 13:51

"I cried when I remembered digging a hole and burying my daughter. Whilst I was putting her in, she reached up and brushed dirt from my beard." 
Quoted by Azrat Umer (raz-ul-tahala hanhu) after accepting Islam

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 14:26
[Eva, why are you getting in the elevator, we're only on the
second floor?]

"Pfft... it's free, Mila. We don't have to pay for it."
- Eva C.

[After spending 20 minutes trying to find an ice cream shop in
Vienna and seeing one off the side of the highway on our way
home. Screaming and HONESTLY angry:]

"Pfft...okay then! Well you can take your f--king ice cream and
shove it up your German a-ses. I've got a whole tub in the
freezer at home, you b-stards!"
- Eva C.
Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 15:28
"I brought you into this world with my hands.  I bury you with my hands."
- Abraham Lincoln writes in his diary to his son after he buried him.

Edited by Travis Congleton
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 15:45
"It's deja vu all over again."

Yogi Berra

amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 15:47

A another couple by the inimitable Woody Allen

"It seemed the world is divided into good and bad people. the good ones sleep better... while the bad ones seem to enjoy the waking hours much more."

Woody Allen

"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - but it's all over much too soon."

Woody Allen

Edited by amir khan
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 21:53
"I didn't want to rub your face in it because, well, you're already up to your eyebrows in it anyway."
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 22:11
"We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us."

Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 00:13

I'll spare everyone of the Bush quotes (now those are entertaining).

"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

--All Yogi Berra (I would have loved to see Berra and Bush go head to head)

"Talent does what it can; genius does what it must."
- Edward George Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873)
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
- Will Durant
"Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
- Samuel Palmer (1805-80)
"My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates (470-399 B.C.)
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

All of these are on one website with a million others:   http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/quotes.html

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>