Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of the name "Istanbul"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of the name "Istanbul"
    Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 19:24
Originally posted by Digenis

@Hidden face:
What does Istan-bol mean in Persian?
Is it mentioned in persian sources before 1071?

I think we should search for how did Persians and Arabs call the City until the 11th century.
For me it would be very probable the Turks to adopt the name from them (as they did with thousands of words)

@Bulldog:
thnx-u always make me smile when i read your postsSmile
(sometimes even laugh)Approve

İstaan=land  Bol=Bridge
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 01:03

It is Istanbul, and not Constantinople!

Edited by bg_turk - 06-Aug-2006 at 01:04
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 09:32

1) the city were there ages before persian or seltzuk or romans came there. Was a Greek colony. City's first name was Byzantium. Later the romans (wich culture was completely Greek) after their conquer the entire region decides that that city was the perfect spot for their new capital. So The emperor Konstantinos make a new citi next to Bizantium and called her Constantinoupoli. Later when Ottomans conquer the Byzantium (Actually whats left from the crusaders the City and some parts of Greece) they changed citis name. And is called Istanbul.

So we can conclude that Islambol it can not be truth because persians didn't know the city. Seconldy u think is more logic from islambol (which means something to islam) become Istanbul or the name come from Is-tin-poli (in greek means to the city) the conclusions are all yours.
2) This is history facts. If you don't know were to search do not hesitate to send you articles.

For you is Istanbul for me is Constantinoupoli. I canot see the problem.

regards

Edited by perikles - 07-Aug-2006 at 09:33
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 14:45
ORGINALITY İSTANBUL--->İSLAMBOL THAT IS TO SAY VERY ISLAMIC CITY RELIGIOUS..FOR ME BECAUSE I AM TURK ;)
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 20:35
Originally posted by bg_turk

No, it is Constantinople.  Even the Ottomans called it Constantinople until the fall of the Ottoman Empire.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 10:57
Originally posted by KANSU44

ORGINALITY İSTANBUL--->İSLAMBOL THAT IS TO SAY VERY ISLAMIC CITY RELIGIOUS..FOR ME BECAUSE I AM TURK ;)

Islmabol. A bol full of islam?
A plate full of islam. Just joking. Make the etimology  of the word.
How Islambol became Istanbul. I can not to understand it.

Edited by perikles - 17-Aug-2006 at 04:15
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 16:00
Originally posted by bg_turk

Love the clip.
Must be a true depiction of life in the Ottoman Empire.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 07:15
Originally posted by perikles

1) the city were there ages before persian or seltzuk or romans came there. Was a Greek colony.

There was a settlement before Greeks in the region as well. That's why you are calling it as "Greek colony".

Secondly, Constantinople was rebuilt as a Roman city. Constantine was a Roman Emperor, not Greek.

Thirdly, Roman culture was not completely Greek. Furthermore you have to define what Greek culture was? Was it unique? Alien from the region? Make a research on for example Phonecian influences on Greek culture? Will it mean that Athens was a Phonecian city or Greeks were culturally Phonecian?

So we can conclude that Islambol it can not be truth because persians didn't know the city.

How do you know that they do not know the city? I am sure that they know the city if you consider the political relations between Romans and Sasanids.

Secondly, Darius passed the Bosphorus to go over Sctyhians. In Heredotus, it says that he built a bridge over it to pass to Europe. It seems very difficult to me. But it is sure that all of these story fits very well that Istanbul means landbridge in ancient Persian and the meaning of the city comes from this root.

Islambol explanation is simply nonsense. Greek explanation is worth to take into account. And you should take into account the explation of Persian version about the name Istanbul too.    

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 07:26

Originally posted by KANSU44

A plate full of islam. Just joking. Make the etimology  of the word.
How Islambol became Istanbul. I can not to understand it.

Name "Istanbul" didn't come out of "Islambol"...It came from how Turks call it before conquest..Istinpolin..

Islambol is a name used to refer Istanbul's status as the capital of Islamic world for long centuries.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 20:09

A plate full of islam.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 10:21
You have right. Constantine was a Roman emperor.
When we say ancient greek culture (There is no modern culture :( )
has the basic elements same for all the cities. They spoke the same language, the have the same alphabet, same religion, same customs. The courage was a basic element. After all i am sure you know that there was a saying in all the ancient Greece. πας μη Έλλην Βάρβαρος. This means whoever is not a Greek is a barbarian.

It is time the HUGE LIE that Greeks influeced by phoinicians to stop. There are not valid proofs for that. Greek civilization was greater than phoinicians. They were traders nothing else. Do you know any list of artifacts or any arts, technology (Greeks had technology) or any other proof of cultre and civilization.

When Romans conquered Macedonian empire they were awed by greek civilization. The Roman empire was realy remarkable. It is true that they were took the greek civilization and evolve it. Let's see Kaligoulas, Nerwn this is civilization!!!. The Roman army and the legal system was very advance for their times.

Constantinoupoli first name was Byzantio. Constantinoupoli was built some miles southern from Byzantio. Byzantio was a Greek city. There were living greeks.  

The persian explanation is logic but only that.

regards

Edited by perikles - 18-Aug-2006 at 10:22
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Jeru View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jeru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 09:06
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Name "Istanbul" didn't come out of "Islambol"...It came from how Turks call it before conquest..Istinpolin..

Islambol is a name used to refer Istanbul's status as the capital of Islamic world for long centuries.
so true

The modern Turkish name İstanbul comes from the Greek words εις την Πόλη ([is tin poli], in rapid speech [istimboli]) or στην Πόλη ([stimboli]), meaning "in the city" or "to the city.

Similar examples of modern Turkish town names derived from Greek in this fashion are izmit from İznikmit, from Greek Nikomedia, İznik from Greek Nicaea ([iz nikea]), and Samsun (s'Amison which is "se + Amisos"). The epenthesis of the i in İzmit, etc. may result from the phonotactic structure of Turkish or from "εις".

Byzantium founded in 667 BC by Greek colonists from Megara and named after their king Byzas or Byzantas.
Byzantium is a latinization of the Greek name Byzantion.

it also had nicknames as Islambol,Kushta,Tsarigrad,New Jerusalem due to its status.

no matter how you call it, its still Turkish,and no matter who's it is the name is still derived from Greek.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 09:43
nowdays greeks also call constantinopolis as Poli.And when they travel to the city they say that they will go " is thn Poli"

istanbul is a greek phrase so i dont understand why we are keep talking about this!!

the city is greek so  it is normal that moggol  old turks  heard  many times the phrase "is tin poli"

we have also some turkish(or arabs)italians words that we borrow for other nations and change a little bit for example xairi

sorry for my english

Edited by MAKEDNOS - 26-Aug-2006 at 10:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 10:08
Originally posted by Alparslan

[QUOTE=perikles]

Secondly, Constantinople was rebuilt as a Roman city. Constantine was a Roman Emperor, not Greek.

Thirdly, Roman culture was not completely Greek.

population of constantinopole was greek(for thousands years).their religion was at first the religion of ancient greek world and after greek orthodox.The culture was greek so what constantinopole was ?an american city ?indian?moggolian-turkish?

Edited by MAKEDNOS - 26-Aug-2006 at 10:10
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 10:35
Edited by Komnenos, as the post contained vile Anti-Turkish propaganda.

Edited by Komnenos - 26-Aug-2006 at 11:18
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 11:12
makedneos, change your attitude and show some respect you wont last long here with all of that baggage
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 11:19
Originally posted by Leonidas

makedneos, change your attitude and show some respect you wont last long here with all of that baggage

You're right, he's gone already.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 15:54
i havent received a complete answer:

Can anyone present sources -Arabian and Persian-before 1071,in which "Islambol" is mentioned plz?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 17:55
i dont think "islambol" whas called before 1071 and i dont think it whas so before 1453, a discussion whas made several months ago on a Turkish tv, but dont remember much. 
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 01:46
Originally posted by Jeru 

no matter how you call it, its still Turkish,and no matter who's it is the name is still derived from Greek.
[/QUOTE

You have right. Is a Turkish city with Greeks origin.

Byzantium was fonded by Greeks.

You have right. Is a Turkish city with Greeks origin.

Byzantium was fonded by Greeks. It was a greek colony. Colony means that people leave the mother city and go to another place and found a city. This city is a colony.
I cannot understand why so much quarrel for that. The turks came to the area thousands of years after Greeks. They found the city ready. They conquer the city. Ottomans, because Seltzouks was always Been defeated by Byzantins.
Anyway how it can be possible a city that conquared THOUSANDS of years after city's foundation to claim that the city name is Turkic. Istanbul is a a Greek name. If you don't like open a forum call it Turkish patriotism find supporters and talk about turkish superiority.
If i want to i can do the same. This is historical forum correct?
We cannot change history. I don't like many things my country done but i can;t do something else but accept it. Izmir was a Greek city (Smirni). How Izmir come up? What means. CAn someone please tell me

Edited by perikles - 27-Aug-2006 at 01:47
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>