Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Empires
    Posted: 21-May-2006 at 22:34
It is here now, and look at it. Look how they treat their women, honor killings etcClap Yep moving forward.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 22:38
Perhaps accepting Western Values were to hard for them back in the day. Maybe they did not like the idea of changing their ideals to suit the infidels.

Aktufe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aktufe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 22:39
Back in the day??

What western values back in the day?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 22:43

Modern thinking, the Japanese did it. Middle East didnt, why?

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 03:26
@machine

Im not doubting Asian influence, yet our influence on them in terms of technology is more abundant (think thats the word)

The Arabs mmmm are you sure??? I was under the impression that Europeans got the idea for gun powder via Turkey, who got the idea from the Chinese.

You are re-assuming your "western" superiority at the same time creating division among other world cultures. typical "Western" modern way.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 05:29
Machine i hope your here to learn something. i think your mixing up islam and culture (for instance ) im sure there are some very well articulated muslims on this forum that can explain and educate your misinformed views.

for example; honour killings is cultural (from way back to assyrians as far as i know) not religoius, nor is it limited to muslims.

Muslim women had more rights than western women up until women in the west won some big battles mid last century. Your talking about a relative western advancement which has been around for what, one/ two generations, good oneThumbs UpLOL. hec my own paternal village had property rights for females way before any 'western' female.Ermm

The muslim golden age has alot to do with the leaders and society of its time, islam didnt hold it back. The western 'superiority' as you see it, was acheived only when it put its religion into the back seat. See how unfair your comparison are? I recomend you leave religion out of this.

You talk like the M/East is inherently backwards yet seem to ignore or not know that its situation was different to the west and to a degree out of its control. For a while it was mainly under ottomon rule (which was waaay too conservative, it couldnt keep up with the west),  after this empire was destroyed, you have seroius western expliotation and aggression from then on to now. How can these people devolop when everyone is in there stuffing them around?

BTW hope your enjoying the international nature of this website.Big smile

Edited by Leonidas - 22-May-2006 at 05:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 06:42
Originally posted by The Charioteer

@machine

Im not doubting Asian influence, yet our influence on them in terms of technology is more abundant (think thats the word)

The Arabs mmmm are you sure??? I was under the impression that Europeans got the idea for gun powder via Turkey, who got the idea from the Chinese.

You are re-assuming your "western" superiority at the same time creating division among other world cultures. typical "Western" modern way.

Im not not re assuming anything.
Inuyasha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Inuyasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 00:36
Originally posted by machine

Maybe you should write book about inventions by Middle Easterners for the past 500 years, it will be very short.LOLClap

*cheapshot*

http://www.1001inventions.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.viewSection&intSectionID=309

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 07:34
Machine: You are being very biased and Leonidas has already made a good reply. So I will make this short.

Europe has a very short history. It has only recently ceased to be barbarians roaming through the forests and settled down and become civilised (ie living in cities). In order to do this they had to rapidly advance more often than not taking advances from other civilisations, in fact more often than not taking those advances from middle-eastern civilisation such as Greece, Rome, the Arabs, and the Turks, since these are closest to Europe. (Yes, I count Greece and Rome as middle-eastern civilizations or at the very least middle. They ruled over the middle-east for nearly a millenium they count). Usually when they took an advance, the person who took it gets held up as a great inventor, when really all he did was read a book in arabic. For example I ask, who invented the steam engine?  The usual answer is "Well James Watt did". Actually all James Watt did was invent a valve for the piston. He based his invention off Thomas Newcoms. Steam Engines themselves have been recorded in ancient times, in the middle east. Modern European civilization has built upon the developments of its predeccessors. I realised a couple of years ago that most of what I was taught up till year 10, in maths and science, was discovered during or before the Arab Empire.
To say that 'europe invented it all' is like saying 'my roof magically floats in the air'. You can't build a sky skysraper without concrete.

I suggest when you read this you think about you computer, in its plastic box, made from middle eastern oil, made by chemical (Al-Chemy) engineers, working in refineries. Who studied at universities. Think about your silicon chips, made in muslim Malaysia, your CD-ROM designed by Japanese. Think about the person who assembled the circuit board in Taiwan, and think:
"Thank God the Americans invented the Transistor else we westerners couldn't claim anything"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 10:56
Europe has a very short historyConfused In that case Middle East history ended 500 years ago, if it wasnt for Oil, Israel and terrorists we would not hear of the Middle East.
Yeh and Europeans were savage barbarians who roamed through forests, theres another post regarding Tin mining in Spain and Britain.
Well i count Rome and Greece as European civilisations, ive never met an Italian who would regard Rome as Middle Eastern.
I never said Europeans created it all, Yet in MODERN (damn last time i say that) terms they did.
You cant build a sky scraper without CRANES and MODERN equiptment either.
Also Iran would not be making 140 million a day from Oil if it wasnt due to modern European inventions.
And those ideas for refineries, silicon chips, CD roms came from where??? mmmm i wonder.

Actually i admit defeat, heres a picture of my ancestors circa 10th century AD

Those damn uncivilised Europeans.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 11:01
Sorry no Arab intervention here.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 20:56
And those ideas for refineries, silicon chips, CD roms came from where??? mmmm i wonder.

Refineries: Arabia
Silicon chips: Invented in America, Made in Malaysia & Taiwan mostly
CDRoms: Japan
Yeh and Europeans were savage barbarians who roamed through forests, theres another post regarding Tin mining in Spain and Britain.

Cite me an example of a great European civilisation before Rome?
Also Iran would not be making 140 million a day from Oil if it wasnt due to modern European inventions.

Which particular one? The pipe? The ship? China? The drill? The Pulley? I'll give you the internal combustion engine. Name another.
You cant build a sky scraper without CRANES and MODERN equiptment either.

When on earth do you think the crane was invented?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 23:57

Theres a difference between the crane of old and the crane of new.

Well perhaps Iran could use these old methods and we will see if they are producing 140 million dollars worth of oil a day.

Well you need ELECTRICITY to run the drill, the pulley, the ship+engine.

Im not going to say anything more because each time people go back to ancient inventions, when i said MODERNAngry 

Edited by machine - 28-May-2006 at 00:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 00:05
The world's first oil refinery opened at Ploieşti, Romania in 1856
Aktufe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aktufe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 00:59
Modern technologies are based on Ancient ones. Thats what you don't wana acknowledge, and just claim europeans came up with everything magically. Now stop this nonesense.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 01:06
No i didnt, of course theres been an influence. Alot of things are un influenced also. No more of this its going no where...........
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 04:47
omg machine !

Modern inventions are mostly nothing but Developments of Older inventions.

its ignorance to Give all Today's Technologies and life style  Credit to the West,

History didn't Start 500 years ago you know Wink

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 06:04
Well you need ELECTRICITY to run the drill, the pulley, the ship+engine.

Im not going to say anything more because each time people go back to ancient inventions, when i said MODERNAngry

First you quote electricity and then you say only modern? You are either ignorant or a hypocrite, I suspect the former.
Batteries have been found near Baghdad dating from the Parthian period. Not Modern nor European! Try again. I can think of a few more myself.

The world's first oil refinery opened at Ploieşti, Romania in 1856

But the process of refining is much older, and the process of refining oil. That was just the first mass scale refining of oil.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:22

The charge from the batteries was so damn low that they couldnt even power a light globe (another European invention). The Baghdad battery was used to fuse gold onto bronze coins.

Ancient

According to Thales of Miletus, writing at around 600 BC, a form of electricity was known to the Ancient Greeks who found that rubbing fur on various substances, such as amber, would cause a particular attraction between the two. The Greeks noted that the amber buttons could attract light objects such as hair and that if they rubbed the amber for long enough they could even get a spark to jump.

So the concept of electricity is older than i thought.

MODERN  As we know it and use it.

Italian physician Girolamo Cardano returned to the subject of electricity in De Subtilitate (1550)[1], distinguishing, perhaps for the first time, between electrical and magnetic forces. In 1600 the English scientist William Gilbert, in De Magnete, expanded on Cardano's work and coined the modern Latin word electricus from ηλεκτρον (elektron), the Greek word for "amber", which soon gave rise to the English words electric and electricity.

He was followed in 1660 by Otto von Guericke, who invented an early electrostatic generator. Other European pioneers were Robert Boyle, who in 1675 stated that electric attraction and repulsion can act across a vacuum; Stephen Gray, who in 1729 classified materials as conductors and insulators; and C. F. Du Fay, who first identified the two types of electricity that would later be called positive and negative.

Edited by machine - 28-May-2006 at 08:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:48

Anyway no more Omar i do realise that many earlier ideas came from the Middle East but in time new inventions were created and older inventions were worked upon etc etc. And thats why we have the luxury to sit in front of a computer, watch tv, drive to the shop and fly to Tokyo, ride a motorbike, go into space etc etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>