Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo muslims really embrace the west?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do muslims really embrace the west?
    Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 05:17
Originally posted by sedamoun

Originally posted by Maju

After all, Islam may forbid Muslims to draw Mohammed... but it can't forbid non-Muslims anything. Doing otherwise would be religious fascism.

I agree, but does that give non muslims the right to make fun of a religion? I think the answer is yes, but it is morally wrong and a sign of non respect.

It may be arguable and that's where opinions stand. One may hink that holy men are truly holy and deserve outmost respect and other, as amysself think that they were farsants who built a cult for their own megalomaniatic purposes.

As I think that the second is most likely and also that modern leaders of religions are of the same manipulative kind (at least for the most part), I think it's important to exert the right to anti-religious propaganda and that such right be protected.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 07:59

I think it's important to exert the right to anti-religious propaganda and that such right be protected.

I agree with this but there are civilzed ways to criticise religion and the bafoon way. Instead of serious arguments and ideas, they went with the idiotic way which resulting in provocating instead of criticising.

These pictures were printed in Sept-Oct of 2005, reprinting them now in early 2006 is just to sell more paper and gaining in publicity - the Benetton way: "every publicity is good publicity". I am sure they did not expect these consequences.

Cheers.

Edited by sedamoun
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 08:36
What consequences?

I just don't think that this is bad: in fact it's good because I think there's an excess of tolerance for extremist religous attitudes and this may cut short that badly pondered tendency.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:06
[QUOTE=Loknar]

I must say, I am absolutely stunned. I thought, what was a protest, has now degraded into pure hate. In any protest, or boycott, this is unacceptable. Yes they have the freedom to say people who insult Islam should be beheaded.

But, the fact remains, why are they even in Europe? From these pictures I can only come to the conclusion that they hate Europe and if anybody insults Islam they want gallons of human blood on their hands.

[QUOTE]

Most Muslims in Europe left their countries looking for work, often as cheep labor force. Hence, we find many Turks in Germany, North Africans in France and Spain, Moroccans in Belgium/Nethetlands, Pakistanis in England...

There is often a historical "bond" between the muslims that emigrated and their host countries: Colonialism. North Africans who were under French and in Spanish domination often found jobs in these countries (especially France) after WWII as workforce was needed to rebuild Europe. The second french wage occured during the 70's and the wonderfull economic growth known as the "30 Glorieuses".

[QUOTE]

I always believed "no not all Muslims are like that..." but looking at this how the hell can I still believe that? If I was a Muslim I'd worry allot about he reputation of my religion and not go around with such signs as "prepare for the real holocaust".

[QUOTE]

Well, this is interesting. When you start to believe that "All X are like that" that is the begining of GENERALIZATION, which leads to racism. All muslims are not all like "that", all jews are not ultra orthodox colonialists, all americans are not to blame for what the GVT's international blunders, all americans are not all imperialist p*gs... and so on. Generalization is wrong and it is the "easy" way to spread wrong ideas to people.

[QUOTE]

The real question is, do they really embrace western beliefs? I mean in general, not just on freedom of speech. It seems that they dont. Looking at these pictures how can I believe that these people love the west? I'd really suggest they move back to their homelands of they have such a problem with Europe. There are many developed nations outside the west, such as UAE and Saudi Arabia.

[QUOTE]

You have to take into consideration the education level of some people. Many muslims that came to Europe were not scholars, they were often poor people from the country side with mentalities close to the middle ages. Many (the majority maybe) brought these beliefs with them and eventhough their children went to western schools, the parents often transmit their "tradional" values at home. This is not a bad thing, but the children have to reflect [THEMSELFS] on what aspects to keep from their traditions and which are not compatible with the west.

[QUOTE]

Then there are also Muslims in America. Muslims in America to my knowledge to participate in such radical protests. The usual Muslim in America is upper middle class and doesnt have a problem with the west.

[QUOTE]

Can't speak about muslims in the USA. I don't really know anything about them (except the Nation of Islam sect).

[QUOTE]

This cartoon stuff has really forced me to reexamine my belief on Muslims (in Europe) and the west. I really thought that the ones in the west were not like the ones in the middle east, and that even the ones in the middle east were not all terrorists or had terrorist sympathies. But, and I ask a Muslim, how can I continue to believe that when i see these pictures?

How many muslism do you actually know ?

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:08

What consequences?

Danish people being kicked out from Muslim countries, their embassies being burned to the ground, their products boycotted... Those consequences.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:25

This above whas taken in Turkey in a protest against those cartoon publisher country's, on the pankart it stood "Jezus christ ashamed of you"

Second pic is a one from beirout (lebannon) this imam try's to calm down protesting people.

But those pictures you cant see in western newspapers well the ones who's full of hatred. 

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:26

There is often a historical "bond" between the muslims that emigrated and their host countries: Colonialism.

That is  true, except Turks. Infact germans is most popular nation in Turkey.

Most probably that past  also play some role.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:59
Originally posted by Mortaza

There is often a historical "bond" between the muslims that emigrated and their host countries: Colonialism.

Not necessarily: we have many Moroccans and, well, you can say that Spain had some part in colonialism in Morocco... but we also have many Algerians, Senegalese, Angolans, Guineans, Indians, Chinese, etc.

And Spain has never had posessions in those countries (at least since Portugal became independent).

Look at Denmark: I think it ahd some posession sin Ghana at some time but never a single base in Muslim areas...

France and England are major colonial powers and they do attract people from the regions they once dominated. The same can surely be said about Portugal... but the rest of Europe? Nah!

It's just that they come for the illusion of jobs that don't even exist.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 10:11

Originally posted by Mortaza

Not necessarily: we have many Moroccans and, well, you can say that Spain had some part in colonialism in Morocco... but we also have many Algerians, Senegalese, Angolans, Guineans, Indians, Chinese, etc.

And Spain has never had posessions in those countries (at least since Portugal became independent).

Look at Denmark: I think it ahd some posession sin Ghana at some time but never a single base in Muslim areas...

France and England are major colonial powers and they do attract people from the regions they once dominated. The same can surely be said about Portugal... but the rest of Europe? Nah!

It's just that they come for the illusion of jobs that don't even exist.

Maju, you're incredible, why are you always trying to interfere with what's obvious.

I wrote "there is OFTEN..." not always.

By the way, you forgot about the Netherlands and the immigrant whose origins are from Surinam and Indonesia in your examples of "correct" examples.

Gotta get back to work.

Cheers.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 15:15
As there are numerous threads open on the same issue, I will close this one.
Please continue the discussion in the remaining open thread!
Any new threads will be closed.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234